Thread: Gelli plate
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
cbet
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianBelle View Post
My only advice is to check on youtube before you buy, because several people have tutorials up that show you how to make your own permanent gelli plate. It doesn't look difficult at all. Do a search for "the frugal crafter". She has a great DIY tutorial on how to make one. I think they are totally overpriced for what you get, but that's just my opinion.
I made the one from the Frugal Crafter's recipe, and I have it in the basement with all my other stuff, not refrigerated, not in an airtight container, not treating it like anything special at all. I don't recall that it was at all difficult to make; I used one of those 8x10 acrylic box frames for it. No major issues with bubbles or anything. And if I recall correctly, at least half of the knox gelatin I used was past it's best-by date.

It's been well over a year since I made it, and there is no mold or anything icky growing on it. It has shrunk in size a bit, but otherwise no changes. I'm glad I didn't shell out the big bucks for the real thing, because it turned out to be the sort of thing I liked playing with for a little while, and then lost interest in.