Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Prioritizing wants/needs?!

How do you guys prioritize purchasing what you want/need for stamping? There are so many things I want (WWC, Prismacolor pencils, ribbon, eyelets from CTMH, embellishment organizers, punches, coluzzle templates, reinkers, craft inks, other kinds of organizers, bgs from SU!, markers, etc. -- and that doesn't even start on stamps...).
Yeah, basically I want everything. :???:
How do you decide????????

I have a really really hard time with this and my budget is pretty tiny. I'm sure all of you can't buy EVERYTHING that you want, so how do you prioritize?

I know, a weird question, but input would be greatly appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I struggle with this as well. I make a list, and get a little at a time. I have also started trading a lot. Some sets I really like, but they just don't work for me. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

sadly, I don't prioritize, I but it all.....and I will soon be reading these threads from a cardboard box, under an overpass.......
Old 04-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I prioritize by buying what is in the current mini if there is something I really want because it may not be available later. Also by specials such as backgrounds this month if you can afford to buy 2 to get third for half price. I try to add paper or ink to each order if I can. Right now I have only purchased asst paper packs. I think I will do that again then order only colors that I know I use most of. Order prices really add up fast. Try to get people who buy gifts for you to purchase from your wish list ( or cash is always great) then you can pick yourself. I am finally starting to accumulate enough that I have pretty much what I need. NOW I want EVERYTHING else. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

This is what I do on my tiny budget with a HUGE wish list that is always GROWING.......:smile: ....
Even though I always have items that I REALLY want at the top of my list, when it comes time to actually purchase something, I look at the catty again, and the current mini, along with my wish list. I can honestly say that 9 out of 10 times I order, I have changed what I want on my list!!

So, even though I keep a *prioritized* list of what I want next, when it comes time to order, my mood may have changed, or the project isnt appealing like it once was, or some other technique/card/stamp set has caught my eye and I have to get it NOW!!!! :razz: LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I try to prioritize, but sometimes I just have to have it!
Here are my criteria:
1) Is it limited availability/mini only or is it going to retire and I still want it for myself?
2) Is there a limited time special for it? (background special, craft spot special, etc.)
3) Will I get the most bang for my buck with it? (more ink or paper colors vs a stamp set I would only use once in awhile)
4) Is it versatile? Can I use it for different occasions or different types of recipients? (birthday, sympathy, male, female, kid, etc.)
5) Do I have something similar that I could use instead?
6) Has it been on my wish list forever and I still want it?

I find that it helps a lot to have an ongoing wish list. Sometimes I will take something off my list once the initial excitement over a new item fades and I can think about how I am really going to use it.
Am I weird for enjoying working on my wish list? I think it's a type of virtual shopping or something for me.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastamper
I try to prioritize, but sometimes I just have to have it!
Here are my criteria:
1) Is it limited availability/mini only or is it going to retire and I still want it for myself?
2) Is there a limited time special for it? (background special, craft spot special, etc.)
3) Will I get the most bang for my buck with it? (more ink or paper colors vs a stamp set I would only use once in awhile)
4) Is it versatile? Can I use it for different occasions or different types of recipients? (birthday, sympathy, male, female, kid, etc.)
5) Do I have something similar that I could use instead?
6) Has it been on my wish list forever and I still want it?

I find that it helps a lot to have an ongoing wish list. Sometimes I will take something off my list once the initial excitement over a new item fades and I can think about how I am really going to use it.
Am I weird for enjoying working on my wish list? I think it's a type of virtual shopping or something for me.
This is awesome; thanks so much.
What a wonderfully organized way to approach this (I am a very organized person)!!!!
I have an ongoing wish list, but I haven't updated it in quite some time because:
a) It got too big
b) I'm always changing stuff

Guess I'll have to resurrect it, though!!
Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

How nice of you to call it organized! A friend and I call ourselves "anal" because we have our lists on Excel spreadsheets. LoL!
The nice thing with an Excel spreadsheet is it is easy to add or remove items or put a different priority on them (we number them with 1 being the highest priority). I even have mine set up to subtotal so I can add and remove things and see how much it is going to cost me!

Good luck with your list and your shopping!

Mary Ann

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 11:06 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Wow. I think I've found a kindred spirit.
LOL, I also call myself anal.
What a fabulous idea!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s.
My boyfriend will hate you (he refuses to make lists and I'm trying to convert him ;))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I have those flag-style post it notes coming out of my IB&C in all directions. When I am about to place an order I set my $ limit and start flicking through the catalogue. Sometimes I can skip right by flags without pause, but if they "stop" me, those items get added to my list...from this list I narrow down even further (usually dropping unseasonal (ie. Christmas stamps/ink colours/cardstock colours) items first in place of limited time mini or specials). When this list gets whittled down somewhere close to my budget, I'm good to go...

I always seem to have a revolving wishlist on the go.

Les
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

How nice of you to call it organized! A friend and I call ourselves "anal" because we have our lists on Excel spreadsheets. LoL!
The nice thing with an Excel spreadsheet is it is easy to add or remove items or put a different priority on them (we number them with 1 being the highest priority). I even have mine set up to subtotal so I can add and remove things and see how much it is going to cost me!

Me too! I thought I was weird! Now I know I'm not the only anal person out there. Good to know there are more of you out there.:razz: I just make myself a budget and I stick to it, slowly whittling down my list.

Last edited by craftygirl04; 04-11-2006 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

My list doesn't seem to get whittled down -- it only grows, no matter how much I buy.
Ugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Sorry, I quoted mastamper but I'm kinda new to this and am not sure how to quote. Forgive me mastamper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

This year, I made a list as soon as I got the new catalog, of what I wanted. when I find out one of my friends is going to hold a workshop (or if I'm having one of my own), I start a list of what I'm going to buy that day. (I do this a couple of weeks ahead of time, and generally change it a bit before I place my order.) Sometimes, I have to replace something with an item in the current mini, or something that's on special. Then I go back and highlight on each list, what I have ordered so that I don't accidentally buy it again.

Don't forget, if you host your own workshop, you can get a lot of free stuff and really whittle down your list! I'm not a demo, but I always get great free stuff at my workshops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm not so sure my brain recognizes the difference!

I get what I need (like glue dots, adhesive, etc) when I am about half-way done with the one I have. I also buy ink or sometimes reinkers when I need a new color, see something in the gallery I love made with that color and want to duplicate it. Lately, I have most of the stamp sets I want from the catty so have been buying from the mini's or stocking up on papers and inks. This mini has the best selection I have seen in a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh Man! I'm officially anal! I have my list in an excel spreadsheet complete with the number of stamps in the set and the page number, item number, price, etc.!
I don't really prioritize per se. I make a list of everything I like. Then I go back a few weeks later and review it. There are typically a number of sets I can eliminate for one reason or another and a few that I add. I reference the list before placing an order or attending a show (sometimes will print it and take it with me) and then just buy whatever strikes me that particular day...

Edited to add... I don't think in terms of wants and needs because let's be realistic, we don't "need" any of this. It's all wants!

Last edited by Sairabee; 04-11-2006 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I have my wishlist on my desktop in a .doc file at all times! One day I went thru the catty and wrote down everything that I wanted name, page #, item # and price. I then seperated it out into months at about $30 or so a month. I had about a year and a half's worth there! As I get some money from birthday's, Christmas, eBay, etc... I buy some of the stuff I REALLY want. Slowly but surely I have worked it down to only a few sets in the big catty and of course all the markers, ink pads and papers, but I buy those 1 or 2 at a time each month.

Join hostess clubs! That way you're only spending $30 - $50 a month, but one of those 3 or 5 months YOU get the hostess bennies! That works out to at least 3 ink pads, one bkg stamp, 3 paper packs, 5 markers etc...

What really does me in is when the mini cattys come out. But I have learned 2 things this past year. Don't buy from the mini's immediately, wait and see what SCS'r do with the sets and then if you're still sure you want it get it. And if there's something in the mini you like, get it! Move it up your list to the top, because it's not likely to make the next big catty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
Oh Man! I'm officially anal! I have my list in an excel spreadsheet complete with the number of stamps in the set and the page number, item number, price, etc.!

Yep, I do the EXACT same thing, except my list is in Word. Yikes.

Laura,
if I divided up my list into $30 months, I'd have approximately 10 years. Maybe more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my goodness, I too have an excel file!! I have one master worksheet for with three categories: "needs" "wants" "scrapbooking" and then each one is subtotaled so I know how much it would cost if I won the lottery and got to buy everything I want.

Then I make a worksheet for each order (I am in a monthly stamp club) that lists things by category (paper, ink, etc) and then it subtotals it and adds the tax and shipping. So basically, by the time I place one order, I already have the next one planned and probably the next one after that. But I change them just about every day... A very dynamic wish list, and I love it! A friend labelled me as "anal" a few years ago and I wear the label proudly!!

Know one of the things I love best about this site? Reading how other people do similar things to me makes me feel *almost* normal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I must add my name to the list of those who keep a file on the computer of what they want. Mine is categorized and constantly enlarging. :-) I have been in a club this year, but have not really liked it. I think I'll do better just saving up and ordering a chunk of stuff.

I would have had most of my list done by now, but that darn spring mini has cost me a fortune. :-) And now, new colors. Remember that thread last week about how do you know when to stop? :-) Probably it was before now. :razz:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddicted
Yeah, basically I want everything. :???:
How do you decide????????

I have a really really hard time with this and my budget is pretty tiny. I'm sure all of you can't buy EVERYTHING that you want, so how do you prioritize?

I know, a weird question, but input would be greatly appreciated.
This when you know it's time to become a demo!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:

And I thought I was the only one who did this. Glad to know I am not alone.

Usually for me it depends on what project I have coming up that I need items for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramaze
This when you know it's time to become a demo!!!!
Ah, Sara beat me to it! LOL, if your wishlist is too long to get by hostessing a party or two, maybe you should look at the demo opportunity!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

My list is on word as well....I have two lists, one of the things I must have now, and my wish list. I really like the idea of putting everything on excel with the prices of each set. I may have to do that tonight...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one! :lol:

I keep two seperate workbooks, a wishlist and an inventory list!

Each one has seperate worksheets for sets, individuals, wheels, backgrounds and accessories with prices!

I think I may need medication! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have an inventory list on excel as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

My inventory list is on excel too. Do we need help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:24 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I have my Want List in excel too! It really helps me remember what I want vs being totally random then forgetting a must have when I place my order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Ah, Sara beat me to it! LOL, if your wishlist is too long to get by hostessing a party or two, maybe you should look at the demo opportunity!
Seriously? I'm supposed to only have that much stuff?
Nobody I know will come to a party I host because we have a friend who shares her discount. :(

I thought about the demo thing, but here's two reasons why I'm not doing it:
1) I don't really want or need most of the stuff in the kit
2) It's a lot of $$ to sign up and since I don't want most of the kit stuff, I figure I'd be better off spending my *tiny* budget on stuff I REALLY want.

That being said...
it is tempting, esp. since my friend may not be a demo anymore soon...

What are the quotas in Canada?

Okay, convince me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

So now that you have all admitted to your wonderful "organizing skills", anybody want to post a template of your spreadsheets? I want to revamp mine....
Totally understand if you don't, just thought I'd try and get some more ideas
;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, all you people with Excel programs wont be calling yourself names after you hear what I do!!! LOL I dont have Excel....or any other good programs that I know how to use to create nice lists......I HANDWRITE my lists on notebook paper!!!! LMBO YUP, each time I need to update it, it gets re-written!!! Now, how pathetic is that???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
You mean this isn't normal?? Count me as one of the anal people, then.

;) I love my excel!!!
Mommy and teacher to my 3 blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:41 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a pricey hobby, so I think it is important to avoid impulse buying. I have concentrated on getting paper and inks over the past 4 years. Takes a while, but I'm getting to the point where I hope to have them all by the end of this year. It doens't help that SU is starting 6 new colors!! I got the markers, pastels and hodgepodge kit (1). I am collecting ribbons. I eventually want all of them, and they are nice to add onto an order a little at a time.

I do not allow myself to enter any craft stores. I stick to SU and it simplifies things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

haha this really makes me smile...i'm a business major and i don't have my nice looong list in a computer prog. i think perhaps i should invest the time to do that... i dunno i particularly like the inventory list that would help me a whole lot i think....time for this student to get a lil more organized!..and at least i'll know i'm not the only one....

ps. i always thought of doing it but then i thought maybe i'd be wierd for doing so...but now i know i'm not alone so its ok!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Count me in too. I have my wish list on Excel. Though not my inventory (I should do that). Here's how wierd I am I have Excel list of the books I've read in the last couple of years so I can keep track but that's not what this topic is about.

This has been interesting to find out how everyone makes the decision of what to buy. I'm finding that I want so many of the stamp sets when I see a cute card made with that set. I'm making myself look for more ideas for each stamp set so I know that it will be versatile. I was sitting here a little while ago wondering when I'll have enough stamping stuff. How much is enough? Maybe that's when it's time to weed out the sets I don't use.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 04:03 AM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinchick
Oh, all you people with Excel programs wont be calling yourself names after you hear what I do!!! LOL I dont have Excel....or any other good programs that I know how to use to create nice lists......I HANDWRITE my lists on notebook paper!!!! LMBO YUP, each time I need to update it, it gets re-written!!! Now, how pathetic is that???

I took a little mini class in excel, etc. a few years ago, but I don't really remember much. I handwrite mine too. Part of the reason is that I sometimes like to climb in bed and go through the catalog, writing down what I like. The computer is all the way downstairs, and it is cold down there in the witner! So, I keep a running handwritten list, highlight when I buy it, cross it off if I change my mind (that doesn't happen very often), and add to it as necessary. Buying the new colors a little at a time, this was definitely essential to keep track of stuff.
I will definitely start a new list when the new catalog comes out, but until then, I highlight and add to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 04:04 AM   #37  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
This is a pricey hobby, so I think it is important to avoid impulse buying. I have concentrated on getting paper and inks over the past 4 years. Takes a while, but I'm getting to the point where I hope to have them all by the end of this year. It doens't help that SU is starting 6 new colors!! I got the markers, pastels and hodgepodge kit (1). I am collecting ribbons. I eventually want all of them, and they are nice to add onto an order a little at a time.

I do not allow myself to enter any craft stores. I stick to SU and it simplifies things!

Oh my gosh. I can't imagine not letting myself go into a craft store. I have to admit, though, I am running out of things to get with my coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 04:37 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

This is a fun thread. So good to know that there are plenty of others out there with the same "issues"..LOL.
I have an excell spreadhseet too, and i make a new tab for every order..then bump the things from the "wish list" which don't make it on the order to the next tab..this way I know what I have ordered, and what i still want. When I have a show or attend one, and see a new technique, I often have to add to the list on the spot, but I really try to avoid impulse buying...that's what the local stores and the coupons are for..and I use those coupons mostly to stock up on Xyron refills and other adhesives...and I admit that I too run out of stuff to buy there!!
I set a dollar limit for each SU order..depending on what I can afford at the time, and try to stick with it..but it's hard! I also try to determine if an item will be useful for multiple occasions/kinds of cards/scrapping as well as stamping. At this point, I feel like i don't really need anymore stamps..especially florals, which I just have a ton of..and after the recent sale..i am shut off from BG stamps too!! Having said that, I just started acquiring kid stamps for donating cards to the troops and Keiki cards...so that opened another new category for me!
I am trying to spend my $$ on stamp pads and paper lately..I figure it's cheaper than therapy!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:20 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Y'all make me feel soooooo good! LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin'_Geer
Oh my goodness, I too have an excel file!! I have one master worksheet for with three categories: "needs" "wants" "scrapbooking" and then each one is subtotaled so I know how much it would cost if I won the lottery and got to buy everything I want.

Then I make a worksheet for each order (I am in a monthly stamp club) that lists things by category (paper, ink, etc) and then it subtotals it and adds the tax and shipping. So basically, by the time I place one order, I already have the next one planned and probably the next one after that. But I change them just about every day... A very dynamic wish list, and I love it! A friend labelled me as "anal" a few years ago and I wear the label proudly!!

Know one of the things I love best about this site? Reading how other people do similar things to me makes me feel *almost* normal.
I love working in a spreadsheet because I can manipulate my "wish list" so many ways. I also have it set up to figure in my s/h and tax so I know exactly what I can afford to buy. I have a column for priority as well so I can sort by that one and then reprioritize when everything shows up as a "1"..... It's just great to know I'm not the only one in the "anal" catagory. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2006, 07:59 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddicted
So now that you have all admitted to your wonderful "organizing skills", anybody want to post a template of your spreadsheets? I want to revamp mine....
Totally understand if you don't, just thought I'd try and get some more ideas
;)
Here's a sample wish list for some of you that were asking about one. You can add something by right-clicking on a line (for example, line 16 in the attached sheet) and selecting Insert.

Does everybody else also have their inventory in a spreadsheet/workbook?

So I guess we aren't anal, we are "organized shoppers"!
Attached Files
File Type: xls StampinUp Wish List Example.xls (18.5 KB, 26 views)

Mary Ann

Reply With Quote Likes