Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:07 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 735 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Definition list?

If I asked this Q already (being a junior senior, I dont remember what I had for breakfast yesterday) just pat me on the head and point me at that thread but...

I am trying shop for stencils and I am getting very confused by terms that I dont know if they are inter-changable or actually mean something different.

I see stencil, template, art screen (color box), masking and mascil. Sometimes there is more than one in the name.

ie: Mascil and stencil are both in the name of an item, so now I am wondering if mascil has to do with the structure of it-like is it those hyper thin, flexible kinds vs hard plastic?

Clear Scraps Mascils Groovy Spirals 6 x 6 Masking Stencil

Is the difference whether it is the postive vs the negative image?

Masks mean something specific to me so I am very confused by that.

So I came here to look for a definitions list, and searched tutorials, basics, techniques, tools...and all I found was thread on what acronyms mean.

Do we have a definitions list here that says a template is X and aka as Y and Z, embossing paste is X, etc.? I'd be surprised if there isnt one-I must just be missing it. :confused::confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet a Mascil is just another name for stencil. Everyone tries to out do each other and catch the consumer dollar with a title.

I will say there are times where I wish the stencil plastic was thicker. That would keep the image in place better for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 08:47 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

You got me really curious on this, Wavejumper. Since I'm headed out to Tuesday Morning and a few other craft stores, I really had to know the answer. ;)

Mascils is a Clearsnaps product, advertised as "a stencil/mask combination that allows you to use a variety of mediums, while keeping the design." I watched a video and didn't see any difference between them and regular stencils. I like the on in your link!

I found the below definitions on Get it Scrapped
"Stencil: A stencil is a thin sheet of cardboard, metal, or other material from which figures or letters have been cut out. Rub, brush,or press a coloring and/or texture medium like ink, mist, or paint over the sheet so it passes through the perforations and onto the surface.

Thus, you are making a positive image�unless you use one of Dina Wakley�s favorite approaches of flipping a used stencil to rub that excess ink off on a new project.

Mask: A mask is a cover or shield used to protect the surface beneath it from the mediums being applied. Spray or brush or paint over the mask, then remove it to reveal an untouched area surrounded by color and texture. Thus, you are making an image in negative space."

I found some links to mixed media definitions, they were focused on supplies like gesso and gel mediums. Sounds like an opportunity for some collaboration to create a resource page on mixed media!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes...some of the stencils are getting reeeally thin! I have more trouble using a paste with those and it's less dimension. That little hair of a difference actually shows.

Thank you Carla. I looked on YT for mascils and got nothing.

That is my understanding of a mask. Why Clearsnaps is using that on the product name I dont know unless they call a stencil a mask in other countries?

So, we are saying that a stencil, a template, a mascil and the art screen are all the same thing, just different names. Masking is something else.

I forgot the link for the art screen-this is just a sample not one I want
ColorBox Art Screens Bloom 6 x 6 Stencil

lol...that other sample I had just grabbed for this but now I have to give it some thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

What's good about that link Carla is it also explains what the positive and negative is for beginners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
So, we are saying that a stencil, a template, a mascil and the art screen are all the same thing, just different names. Masking is something else.
From the descriptions, stencil, mascil and art screen are the same thing. Amazing how each company thinks they need a specialized name!

A template is a pattern. The below definition from Merriam-Webster fits crafting the best.
"A shape or pattern that is cut out of a hard material (such as metal or plastic) and used to make the same shape and pattern in other pieces of material
computers : a computer document that has the basic format of something (such as a business letter, chart, graph, etc.) and that can be used many different times
: something that is used as an example of how to do, make, or achieve something"

You've got me thinking about the all the different tools used for paper crafting and how confusing it can be. Also, how easy it is to over buy when you don't understand what you're buying!! I've listed some resource pages below. I've found bits and pieces, no comprehensive list with definitions. The question is, what equipment, tools and supplies should be included?

Glossary of Art Terms Glossary of Art Terms - Rex Art Supplies
Papercraft Tools Papercraft Tools
Basic Card Making Supplies Basic Card Making Supplies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

I think Clearsnap is just being "cutesy" with the words mask and stencil, combining the 2 words into 1 and coming up with mascil.

Clearly Clearsnap does not know what a mask is.

Colorbox (which is owned by Clearsnap) artscreens are "Craft stencils for paper crafts, home d�cor and more!" This is their definition which I copied from their site.

So clearly it was not enough for the Clearsnap to change the name of a stencil to mascil; they changed the name Colorbox uses from stencil to artscreen.

Clearly, Clearsnap wants the public to think they are buying something new and different.

Clearly, they must think we are idiots.
Clearly, we are not.
Do I make myself clear?

Last edited by uncbballfan; 04-05-2016 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: new info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 03:46 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Again, thank you Carla.

That was my understanding of what a template is before I came to cardmaking...it was inter-changeable with "pattern" for say, sewing or woodworking. Or the document application-I have certainly created enough of those- and before computers! Used to also call them Masters.

But obviously the card industry is using it like "stencil". Not to be confused with say templates for envelope liners though! (sigh) :rolleyes:

I esp like that first list-lots of words I dont know-but none of them has either stencil or mask! lol The second list-I didnt know there are bag making boards to make your own gift bag though I am not very surprised.

So I am not wrong-we dont have such a list here that I am just not finding. I am not faulting SCS, just making sure I didnt miss it. My computer skills are not top notch.

LOL Linda...it's true. Mfgs can try to coin "new" words or change the meaning of words, to suit them and their product! I call it the Sneetches Syndrome, Variation One. If we call something a new name, we can sell a bunch of them before people figure it out. (Two being I HAVE to have something to be someone) Thank you Madison Ave advertisers. :rolleyes:

Boy I love SCS.....no fooling this bunch! That rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I think Clearsnap is just being "cutesy" with the words mask and stencil, combining the 2 words into 1 and coming up with mascil.

Clearly Clearsnap does not know what a mask is.

Colorbox (which is owned by Clearsnap) artscreens are "Craft stencils for paper crafts, home d�cor and more!" This is their definition which I copied from their site.

So clearly it was not enough for the Clearsnap to change the name of a stencil to mascil; they changed the name Colorbox uses from stencil to artscreen.

Clearly, Clearsnap wants the public to think they are buying something new and different.

Clearly, they must think we are idiots.
Clearly, we are not.
Do I make myself clear?
I think you may well be right about Clearsnap 'making up' the word, as I just Googled mascil, and its' actually an acronym - Mascil- Mathematics and Science for Life which has absolutely nothing to do with stencils, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 82 Likes on 43 Posts

I saw that too, Shaz, and thought, oh no, I'm gonna have to put my math and science skills to work making cards?? I haven't studied those subjects for - ahem - many years now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

Mascils (do you think we pronounce the c? ;) ) are by Clear Scraps (not Clearsnap) - they're just stencils with a cutesy name for branding... same deal with Clearsnap's Art Screens - just branding, though I wouldn't think there would be any issue with using the term "stencil"...

To me the difference between a stencil and a mask is the outline... stencils have a solid outside and an opening or openings in the center. Masks have a shaped outline, and are solid inside.

We don't have any kind of crafty glossary - I wouldn't even know where to begin!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post

We don't have any kind of crafty glossary - I wouldn't even know where to begin!
I would love to see one on the site somewhere. Maybe folks could submit entries that could be added to a master list?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

The art screens I've used are Heidi Swapp brand. They are similar to stencils but have a silk screen layer behind the stencil image that you are pressing the ink through. You use them just as you would a stencil. I think the main difference is the finer details you can get because of the backing. Heres a link to a video about them. https://www.mycraftchannel.com/shows/heidi-swapp-s-create-to-remember/season-14/introducing-art-screens
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I would love to see one on the site somewhere. Maybe folks could submit entries that could be added to a master list?
It's a thought! It probably falls under my department, too.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
It's a thought! It probably falls under my department, too.
I'd be willing to help. I'm kind of a word nut in addition to being a crafter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Add me to the willing to help list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

As I brought it up, it would only be fair for me to step up too...I dont know that I can define things yet-but I sure can proofread!

I might make this suggestion: we include links to tutorials here that show the item being used.
Reply With Quote Likes