Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you start with when you first make a card?

When you make a card...what do you start with? A sketch, an event (like a birthday), colors, design ideas, the sentiment? The reason Ive been thinking about this is that I have made a bunch of cards already for thank you and birthdays but have a bunch of other stamp sets Id like to start using that tend to have more generic sentiments. I think though if I do that I will need to plan my whole card around that, if that makes any sense. So for instance I have an MFT set that has a bunch of words, awesome, fabulous, wonderful, etc...that you can mix and match to say various things. I want to make my sister a card with this but don't know where to start. So would you mind sharing what your thought process is when you start to make a card? What do you consider first? Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes I have an occasion such as birthday. I think what would be pretty say or what her color is. Sometimes I just make a card with what I like and then add an occasion or not as I see fit. I made a really pretty one I was going to use as a birthday then decided to use it as a get well. Just pick paper and embies you like and go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I always start with the stamp! I don't know why, but the image has to spark my idea, although sometimes I get designs from other kinds of images - quilts, paintings, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm with Lydia, I'm more creative when I start with the stamp and see where it leads me. The stamp style leads me to sentiments that fit the occasion. If I'm stuck, I'll browse the galleries here for inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason, I always start looking through my too many pages of stamped images to figure out what stamp I would like to use. I then go to my papers and decide what I'd like to use. From there, it somehow all comes together. That's just for me though. I'm sure you do what's most comfortable for you. No 2 crafters are alike. Hope these comments help you out.
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I ALWAYS have to start with an occasion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Most often I start with either a patterned paper (or collection) or stamp(s) I want to use and work from there. Sometimes I start with an embellishment or type of embellishment (brads, wood veneers, ribbon, etc.) and then choose my papers and stamps. Other times, I start with a background technique. If I'm making a card to a particular person, I start with a color scheme or theme (i.e. cats, shells, etc.) I like card sketches, but rarely use them as a starting point. I also almost never design my card it advance. It's fly by the seat of my pants all the way for me. Bottom line: there are many ways to design and construct a card, so it's whatever works best for you.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

For me it depends..what new dies, stamps or papers am I dying to use...I pick one of thse and go from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 01:20 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I too start with a stamp because that decides whether I do a rectangular card or a square card. Then I pick the papers and the layout and check for possible matching ribbons - and go from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 04:13 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I almost always start with the stamp set. I will then make a variety of cards from that set, so I end up with all kinds of occasions. Sometimes I will have to pull in another set for its sentiments. I love having an assortment on hand when an occasion arises, or I want to gift a few.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 04:36 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Recently I've been starting with paper. I am really trying to use up my paper. Then I like to look at card sketches for inspiration. Once I get going I usually make 2 or 3 cards that are very similar then I'm ready to move on. I don't like to make a lot of the same card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

First I think of the reason for the card...Sympathy, Birthday etc.Then I pick a stamp suitable for the occasion. Finally I pick paper, and if I am coloring the image will pick paper that picks up the colour in the image to bring it all together. Sometimes when I can't decide between two papers, I make of one of each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 808 Likes on 529 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I ALWAYS have to start with an occasion!
Me too! And the occasion is usually a swap here at SCS.

I'm not one of those stampers who makes a card "just to make a card". I make cards for whatever swap I'm in and that's it. I keep a stash of cards I get from those swaps and pull out whatever I need for bdays, anniversaries, etc. Rarely do I not have a card that will work for what I need.

Usually it's paper that dictates what I make. Depending on the number of cards needed for the swap, that's what helps me pick paper. I don't have a lot of sheets of the same DP so I have to come up with ideas to use the paper I do have for the quantity of cards I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mostly I start with a patterned paper. Find a contrasting paper then, look for a stamp, find an ink pad and then decide how to color it if needed, then the stickers or embellies.

The patterned paper also dictates the occasion and sometimes even the stamp and vice versa. That's how I like to do it, but it's not set in stone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I'm all over the place. Most of the time it's occasion driven, and then who is it for...that will lead me in color choices.
But, sometimes I just really want to use a certain stamp and have to go looking for inspiration. Maybe a technique I've been dying to try; or a new color combo I saw on Pinterest.
One of my favorite cards I made last fall happened because I just wanted to play with a different way to use my watercolor pencils. I saw it on a blog, but don't remember which one. I decided to stamp and emboss a bunch of outline leaf stamps in copper all,over some watercolor paper. Then I just played. After a few days of looking at the paper laying on my craft desk I decided to trim it down to a couple panels and add single word sentiments like "Hello" or "Smile".
So....like I said, I'm all over the place. When I NEED a card, that drives me and I reach for the stamps and colors I know have worked in the past. If I happen to get a wave of "mojo" where I can just play until something works; that's what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I always start with the reason for the card and coinciding with this, I consider the general "feel" that I want to convey with the card. For example, reason might be birthday, next consideration is whether it wil convey a masculine or feminine theme, and from there if it will be elegant, whimsical, rustic, clean & simple, contemporary, or retro.

The only time I don't do it this way is when I'm creating a card for a challenge. The parameters of each individual challenge will have a direct effect on the what the card "grows up to be". I think that is one of the most entertaining aspects of doing cards for challenges; I have absolutely no pre-conceived idea what the card will look like before I start, and as a result, the occasion it will be used for is often not determined until the card is finished, or close to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2016, 02:03 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

The occasion and the person. I go for a theme with that person in mind. I don't make cards for the sake of it, they just end up sitting in a box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2016, 03:00 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

It will vary, to be honest. Sometimes it will be a stamp, or a technique I've seen. Sometimes it will be an event I need to make for. Very often I leave my cards 'open'- no sentiment on at all, so I can use it for whatever situation it seems to fit, then add a sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 769 Likes on 554 Posts

Most often I begin with an occasion in mind and then decide on the colors and style according to the person I'm making it for. If I have a new stamp or die that I want to use, I try to work that into the design.

~ Rita

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I start with the occasion and then choose the stamp and the colours to use. I try to create a card using colours and sentiments that would match with the person's personality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2016, 10:03 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

A bit of a mixed approach from me. Most often I start with the stamp, but sometimes there is a technique I want to try. And least often I start with the occasion, because many of the cards in my stash are multi-purpose. I'd say with sympathy cards, though, I always start with that awareness in my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually start with a stamp and colour it in. Then I rip my room apart looking for papers to match the colours I coloured the stamp. I keep telling myself to pull out some of the paper I have and go from there, but I'm not good at listening to myself.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 06:18 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm a varied too.

It's what I feel like doing mostly-sometimes within the parameters of an event or the person getting it. I am so behind the curve...I have tons of techniques to try, etc. Sometimes it's "I have the perfect stamp/die for that person!" and sometimes it's a general theme and I cruise my stash.

It's what you feel like doing! There is no right or wrong answer here imo. I know-that's vague. You could try several different ways. Start with stamps and make a few like that. Then change what you start with-paper, color, or the theme, or whatever. Something should feel more "natural" to you as a method. If you are really fighting your way through, stop and change. This is supposed to be fun. Fighting through a single challenge is one thing, but you are looking for what your groove is, and that's different.

You could use the challenges for that. Make the same challenge with different jump off points. You might need to do it on different days to clear the brain.

BTW-this could also change over time. We evolve. That's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 06:56 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I'm a varied too.

It's what I feel like doing mostly-sometimes within the parameters of an event or the person getting it. I am so behind the curve...I have tons of techniques to try, etc. Sometimes it's "I have the perfect stamp/die for that person!" and sometimes it's a general theme and I cruise my stash.

It's what you feel like doing! There is no right or wrong answer here imo. I know-that's vague. You could try several different ways. Start with stamps and make a few like that. Then change what you start with-paper, color, or the theme, or whatever. Something should feel more "natural" to you as a method. If you are really fighting your way through, stop and change. This is supposed to be fun. Fighting through a single challenge is one thing, but you are looking for what your groove is, and that's different.

You could use the challenges for that. Make the same challenge with different jump off points. You might need to do it on different days to clear the brain.

BTW-this could also change over time. We evolve. That's a good thing.
Well said! I agree that it varies according to many things.. And there isn't a formula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I keep a list of ideas on something I call a Crafty To Do list.

This includes a list of current challenges that I follow, but mostly, it includes ideas I've had. Usually I have some glimpse of an idea during times when I cannot sit down to stamp. So I write it down. I also write down ideas about techniques I saw that I want to try, or layouts I saw on a card or whatever.

So what happens is that I think of a stamp that would work well for a concept or technique and usually a challenge helps me narrow down my options to keep the process going along.

That may sound complicated, but it really works. So first comes my list (because crafting is about fun), then the stamp and third is a challenge or need for a particular card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

A number of years ago I read an article in a magazine where a woman and a friend of hers were grocery shopping. The woman noticed a pack of dryer sheets behind her friend and was captivated by the coloring and design on the packaging. When she returned home, she decided to replicate it.

That said, in the past few months I was out with my husband while he was on a window cleaning job. One of my favorite stores was nearby so I took some time to wander about it. Upon entering the store, I noticed a sign in the window that caught my attention the same way that the woman's attention had been drawn in the article I mentioned. I had some thank yous from my birthday that I needed to make and so I used this idea. The first pic is the idea and the second pic is my execution:
Attached Thumbnails
What do you start with when you first make a card?-home-goods-sign-idea-birthday-thank-you-cards-512x640-.jpg   What do you start with when you first make a card?-2016-birthday-thank-you-cards-640x287-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2016, 03:41 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a mix on this one for sure. If I'm making a card for a particular occasion I tend to think about the person for whom I'm making the card (I will always remember my mom when I use my poppies or pear stamps!) and pick colors or images that I think they would like.
I used to play along in the daily challenges a whole lot more than of late, but in that case I was usually just making a random card that met the challenge so either the theme, colors or sketch was chosen for me and I went from there. (these cards end up either in my stash or on my card rack at the shop!)
I like to challenge myself to use up "scrap desk supplies" so that is like fitting together pieces of a puzzle....I sort through the "rejects" and group them by color and then try to make something from there.
When I've had more computer time, I might have a technique that I want to try out or a photo that sparked my interest.
I find it interesting to hear how everyone approaches this as we are all so different!
Reply With Quote Likes