Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you prefer a particular type of stamping, card making?

I am fairly new to card making so maybe my style will change, but I find myself drawn to what I think is a more clasisic style of card making. I have explored (and bought some supplies) for all kinds of different techniques, but the cards I am most happy tend to be Gina K style (if that's a style based off her videos)I love to watch all the popular you tubers and follow their blogs but I can't see myself making or sending some of the cards they make. This might be because I mostly send my cards to adults who most likely wouldn't appreciate the more cutesy cards with critters and punny sayings. I love to watch their videos and think their cards are pretty but I've realized they are not my style. Do you feel you have a style and what is it? Has it changed if you've been cardmaking for awhile?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rnruns60View Post
I am fairly new to card making so maybe my style will change, but I find myself drawn to what I think is a more clasisic style of card making...I love to watch their videos and think their cards are pretty but I've realized they are not my style. Do you feel you have a style and what is it? Has it changed if you've been cardmaking for awhile?
My style has definitely changed, and for the better I might add but the styles I have always been drawn to have pretty much remained the same — clean and simple (CAS), modern, geometric, non-cute! But I do like whimsical (there is a difference, to me )

So I agree with you: if critters and cutesy sayings aren't your thing, the stamp companies of the moment are churning those out so that seems to be all that YouTube card makers are using. I have stopped watching certain favorite card makers for this reason.

I try to focus on techniques, which can be applied to nearly any style stamp or accessory in my stash. I like Gina K's cards very much, but I rarely mat my card fronts or tie ribbon on my cards, so I just leave those things off! Take the good, leave the rest...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I love trying new ways to create a card but find myself being the most satisfied when I use straight lines, mats, thin borders, a few embellies, and classic papers. I have tons of ribbons but when I'm glueing the mats onto the card bases, all of a sudden I've glued down everything and forgot to put the ribbon around one of the mats! I don't like to use just a bow.

I make and send cards to Send Kids the World which I found here so I do make them cute birthday cards. I enjoy making adult cards though, it's when I use more creativity and try techniques I find on YouTube. Coloring the kids cards is so much fun, coloring the adult cards is more tedious but if it turns out, prettier.

Oh, I just like to make cards...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Well I'm an adult and I love the critters & puns

I like big splashy backgrounds, but clean details and bold sentiments. Nearly all my card bases are white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I love whimsical animals and people. There is a difference in my mind between "cutsey" and "cute", but I probably could not explain it well. I like cute.

I like puns, too, and sentiments that make me laugh, like the ones they used to have on the Shoebox Cards at Hallmark.

I also like cheerful colors - no earth tones for me.

I always make card fronts and attach them to white cardstock bases.

Usually, if I can fit it into my design, I like some kind of sparkle - stickles or gems. I do sequins once in awhile, but they are a lot of trouble to attach.

I don't have the patience or temperament to make my own backgrounds, so I use patterned paper or embossing.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love mixed media, but not enough to commit to a canvas. Cards are the perfect way for me to experiment with different techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Well I'm an adult and I love the critters & puns
I like cute and cutsey because I just have more fun making them. Of course, I don't make them when it's inappropriate or when I know the recipient isn't the cute type. I feel like when I try to do pretty, it usually looks like it would make a nice sympathy card.

I love looking at all of the beautiful cards out there though.

Despite my addiction to 6x6 pads, I don't usually use a lot of dp. I like to make backgrounds and scenes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like lots of stuff I don't or can't do. I don't know what you would actually call what I do. Kinda modern-vintage collagey stuff with lots of layers. I don't think my style has changed much over the past four years, either. Just intensified.

Cannot do CAS. It's just not my thing, although I can appreciate and admire it. Just say the words "one layer card" and my eyes glaze over.

I also almost never put a sentiment on a card front. I think that's because I'm hedging. An occasion comes along and I want to be able to pick the card that matches the person and then put all the sentiments inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I do have a style. I've stamped for ten years. While I've learned and evolved my style has stayed along the same lines. I like a few layers, I love botanicals, I have a very specific group of colors and color combos I like, I like some ribbon, bling or sparkle, and I almost always use an embossing folder. I like the ease of punches and I really like designer paper.

I'm drawn to cards with lots of white. Here's a perfect example of the type of card I like and colors I'm drawn to. I didn't make this card. I basically case most most of my cards (copy).

It has texture, ribbon, bling, designer paper, punched shapes, and she used white!
Attached Thumbnails
Do you prefer a particular type of stamping, card making?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Allistamps123; 03-24-2016 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Definitely do what you love. I think your recipients will have far less awareness of what the "latest trends" are.

I think I do have two styles that I tend toward, but I also am always willing to try whatever I feel like, even if that is far far out from what I normally make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I love Humor!! The majority of my cards are funny. I usually fussy cut the main image.
I make "scenes" for background quite often. I love AI Stamps and any thing that's funny.
I once had a fellow stamper tell me my cards are cutesy and " I don't DO cutesy" Her cards are artsy with images I find kinda creepy... But I was a good girl and didn't say I find her cards weird sometimes. I say to each their own!! Do what you enjoy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 844 Likes on 278 Posts

Over the years I have discovered that I'm more drawn to relatively simple lines but multiple layers, although I do occasionally love to spend a day making a really nice artsy card.
I consider myself as having a flexible style. I've never been one to stick to any one sort of genre/style of anything, whether it be artwork, music, clothing, jewelry.
I get bored pretty easily. I guess that's why I have so many hobbies- I also crochet, sew, make jewelry, cook (for the sheer fun of it), and garden.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I feel like my style is always evolving. But currently I would probably describe my style as cute although I do sometimes go towards more simple elegance at times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 05:09 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 516 Posts

My style is whatever card I am CASEing.

Seriously, though, I am drawn to vintage, distressed styles and sometimes I can make it work and sometimes I can't. I struggle with very CAS because I keep wanting to add more, but I LOVE how it looks when someone talented at it pulls it off.

All I can say is, thank you to everyone who freely shares their work for inspiration. You are all a blessing!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm running lately toward, silhouette stamping. no coloring, to speak, needed on cards. If you do a 'google search' you will see a ton of silhouette stamps and simplier cards made with them.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Style is something personal I find, I used to CASE a lot, now I am more comfortable after several years of stamping to start at the CASE process and then change it to something completely different.
I love sketches as a starting point, then I can add my own flair.
I have found that my style has changed over the years, due to tools and whatever changing the way things are done (Wink of Stella I love you!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I hope no one thought I was insulting those that make cutesy cards. I think they are adorable and as I said if I had the right people to send them to, I would enjoy making them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Not offended at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rnruns60View Post
I hope no one thought I was insulting those that make cutesy cards. I think they are adorable and as I said if I had the right people to send them to, I would enjoy making them.
I'm sure no one took your comment the wrong way. We all have different tastes and like different stuff. That's what makes this hobby fun - we can do what we like!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #20  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampencamperView Post
I'm running lately toward, silhouette stamping. no coloring, to speak, needed on cards. If you do a 'google search' you will see a ton of silhouette stamps and simplier cards made with them.
I do love silhouettes - you can do this fun technique without even having silhouette stamps - love this technique

Scherenschnitte (Scissor Cut) Stamping Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

Also - oh my goodness rnruns60 not offended! This is a great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been stamping for over 10 years. I am mostly clean and simple. They are quicker and are easier to make and I do not have a lot of time. I do go out of my comfort zone. Depending on the card I am doing and who it is for. I buy from lots of different people and do not limit myself to one or a few brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2016, 03:08 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I love cute and cuddly animals and my style is simple & I adore colouring images with watercolour pencils (or Tombow pens). I get brain-freeze when it comes to adding lots of embellishments! Sure, I can add a ribbon and a few rhinestones or a button but when it comes to lots of flowers & lacey diecut corners or flourishes: nope, just can't do it. I also love Vintage style cards but I have my own "neat" spin on it as I can't get my head around ripping & tearing edges; distressing things other than minor stuff actually distresses me I also enjoy making distress ink backgrounds & this is something I am exploring more & more as I am inspired by what I see other cardmakers do.

I tend to use the same layouts over and over too but try to make minor changes to make them look a bit different. I hope people don't get bored with my cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
I love cute and cuddly animals and my style is simple & I adore colouring images with watercolour pencils (or Tombow pens). I get brain-freeze when it comes to adding lots of embellishments! Sure, I can add a ribbon and a few rhinestones or a button but when it comes to lots of flowers & lacey diecut corners or flourishes: nope, just can't do it. I also love Vintage style cards but I have my own "neat" spin on it as I can't get my head around ripping & tearing edges; distressing things other than minor stuff actually distresses me I also enjoy making distress ink backgrounds & this is something I am exploring more & more as I am inspired by what I see other cardmakers do.

I tend to use the same layouts over and over too but try to make minor changes to make them look a bit different. I hope people don't get bored with my cards!
You have a wonderful style, Jocelyn! I've always loved looking at the cards you post! They always make me smile.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2016, 03:20 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
You have a wonderful style, Jocelyn! I've always loved looking at the cards you post! They always make me smile.
Awww, that is so sweet of you *blush*blush* It made my day
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default card style

I would say my style is "flexible"...I like lots of layers, die cutting, water coloring, embossing, bling, ribbons, mixed media types, stamping.
Focus is more towards botanicals, flowers/leaves also love the Crazy bird options from the Tim Holtz collection.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think that, early in the game (i.e. "New to cardmaking") you can decide what your style is very quickly. I have found that, trying all kinds of stuff (cutesy as well as classic and anything in between) helps you find your niche. I also like trying out things that are outside of my comfort zone and have to be worked on over several sessions as opposed to one sitting. I like cute cards as well as beautiful ones. I like having the ability to curtail my project to my recipient, so being able to do cute for my grandsons is just as important as for my adult friends. Do what pleases you, and you will find your taste grow and metamorphose over the ages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 11:58 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf Card style

I'm more elegant to shabby chic.. I like to add flowers and lots of techniques. I use a lot of Heartfelt Creations flowers and flourish dies. I do enjoy Tim Holtz styles as well. Love Crazy Cats! I have a lot of cat people in my family so it will get a lot of use as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 09:34 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lately lots of layers and dies and all kinds of step, pop up, and flip dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I would classify my style as elemental and elegant. I can be quite CAS at times, but would rather have more than one layer, or the appearance of more than one layer. I like natural colors, but also deep, rich coors. I don't do cute or cutesy, have trouble with collage, artsy and lots of punched and die cut stuff. I think one well placed embellishment is enough. I love to create my own backgrounds with various techniques, so I'm always learning new things. Now, I have been stamping more than 15 years and things have certainly changed as I tried everything over the years, until I found my comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

More is more! I love some of the CAS cards but I'm just not good at them- KEEPING them CAS...yet! Maybe someday...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also find CAS rather hard to do! I was a little surprised others are like that too! I love colors, I love paper pads! I like layers!! I love to stress or detail my edges. TEXTURE is a favorite to add! (Burlap, Co-ordination CS, textured CS, embossing-all kinds, stitching, etc.). Details are so cool, such as mini-tags. flowers, embellishments, etc. I love shabby chic, but don't do it much of it. I don't like making super feminine cards either, but they are great to gaze upon when someone else makes them. I love distressed cards and I tend to do well on masculine cards as I have to make so many of them! I have sons, brothers, and lots of male friends and cousins, nephews, etc. I think I do masculine cards rather well. I love experimenting with new styles, I'm never afraid to try something new. I wish I had "a style" but I like being eclectic anyway! Maybe that's my style--Eclectic!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
I also find CAS rather hard to do! I was a little surprised others are like that too! I love colors, I love paper pads! I like layers!! I love to stress or detail my edges. TEXTURE is a favorite to add! (Burlap, Co-ordination CS, textured CS, embossing-all kinds, stitching, etc.). Details are so cool, such as mini-tags. flowers, embellishments, etc. I love shabby chic, but don't do it much of it. I don't like making super feminine cards either, but they are great to gaze upon when someone else makes them. I love distressed cards and I tend to do well on masculine cards as I have to make so many of them! I have sons, brothers, and lots of male friends and cousins, nephews, etc. I think I do masculine cards rather well. I love experimenting with new styles, I'm never afraid to try something new. I wish I had "a style" but I like being eclectic anyway! Maybe that's my style--Eclectic!
I'm so with you! I have no trouble making masculine cards either. I guess I'm not too girlie, so more masculine cards suit me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

It's funny really I adore over-the-top shabby-chic lacy frilly doily ribbons, buttons, bling and pearls type cards but I'm not "good" at them. I think the simpler cards I make are better but I do love putting bling on the simple ones
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 05:13 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I think I have a clean and artistic style that says "Dina" when you look at it, but I don't know that it can be categorized into any one genre... My cards lately are definitely more simple than they used to be - less layers, few embellishments.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 05:44 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I know my taste and probably style has changed over the years, but I don't know that I have a specific 'look'. If I see something done I like, I try it. Some of them turn out and some of them don't, but either way, I enjoy the process and learn from it. Just have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 06:27 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My style has evolved to be my own style. I do what I like. If I see something on a card that I like. I try it on my own. If it works I keep doing it, if it doesn't I say, ok, that isn't me. My style has lots of layers because it is easier for me to hide ooopsies if there is more there. Florals and butterflies are among my favorite images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 05:55 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Definitely CAS, modern, clean lines, etc. I'm not one for "elegant," all the fancy florals, etc. I like punny sentiments, simple sentiments, and that's about it!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I also mostly do C&S which some find difficult. For me the difficulty comes with combining several patterned papers on a card.....sort of like a crazy quilt...

Even tho I once taught beginner quilters, the hardest thing for me personally to learn was crazy quilting. I soon learned you just don't put any old fabrics together and call it a crazy quilt. That process have me a whole new appreciation for those that produce beautiful quilts with that technique.

Styles of cardmaking do change. I also find some that I admire, but would have no one to send them too. But have to admit there are some puns that would appeal to anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My style is all over the place. I mostly make simple cards especially if I make bulk cards for my card club or Christmas. I occasionally make highly decorated cards a la Christina Griffiths with flowers, ribbons and a hat pin. Since getting my Cricut Explore, I am into shaped cards and pop up box cards. I am loving pop up box cards! Taking any type of card and putting it design space makes it so easy. I prepped 21 pleat cards from a recent tutorial for Card Club in minutes. I tend to make special cards suited especially to people I love. Cards and food express love to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #40  
Glitter Queen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I kinda live out in the middle of nowhere, and so getting materials and meeting up with people is difficult at best. So, I volunteer at the local Senior Center. I make a card each week (I have a girlfriend who also makes one, too) and so my style is often controlled by my desire to do something new and different each week, and then, if a particular class member says something like, "I would sure like a kid's birthday card next week for my grandson" and I see nods of approval, that will be the theme of the next week. Last week we did a Big Buckle Card and this week we are doing a File Folder style. I have a teapot card planned for Mother's Day week, encouraging them to make something for a daughter or daughter in law that often goes unnoticed. It makes me feel a sense of satisfaction to help them develop their skills and get better and better at crafting (it's sometimes harder for us older folks).
Reply With Quote Likes