Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2016, 06:18 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Default The rule of thirds...

Gotcha! Not the topic you were thinking when you clicked on this thread... Answer as few or as many as you'd like. No need to answer all of them at once. Come back later and finish or clarify if you need to.

How would you describe your stamping style in 3 words?

Currently, what are your 3 favorite images?

What are your 3 favorite embellishments to use on a card?

You get to send cards to your 3 favorite fictional characters. Who are they?

You've been asked to design your own line of stamps. Using 3 words only, what is the name of your line of stamps?

Name 3 of your stamping idols.

You have the opportunity to take classes pertaining to any aspect of card-making. What 3 classes would you choose?

You're writing a note to your great-great grandchildren telling them why you love this hobby. What 3 things would you tell them?

You just won five million dollars; who are the first 3 members of Splitcoast you'd share it with?

What 3 pieces of advice do you wish you had received (or heeded) upon starting this hobby?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts
Thumbs up

Oh, my. This is HARD...well a lot of it is hard. I'll have to do a little at a time.

Clean and Simple

Sequins, pearls, wink of stella

You've been asked to design your own line of stamps. Using 3 words only, what is the name of your line of stamps?

Only three? Can I answer twice and get six?
Marika Rahtu, Yoonsun Hur, Laura Bassen
Jill Foster, Jennifer McGuire, Loll Thompson
Angela Bode, Gayatri Murali, Debby Hughes
Sorry, I can't break that down. 3 3's it will have to be
!

You have the opportunity to take classes pertaining to any aspect of card-making. What 3 classes would you choose?
techniques, mixed media, colored pencil

You're writing a note to your great-great grandchildren telling them why you love this hobby. What 3 things would you tell them?
Don't get wrapped up in the digital craze. Send a real piece of mail.
It's a wonderful way to create and share love with others.
Try it, you'll like it!

You just won five million dollars; who are the first 3 members of Splitcoast you'd share it with?

What 3 pieces of advice do you wish you had received (or heeded) upon starting this hobby?
You can't stop at just one. (of anything!)
Don't give in to trends...just buy what you love

I'll come back and add more later.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 03-25-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Gotcha! Not the topic you were thinking when you clicked on this thread... Answer as few or as many as you'd like. No need to answer all of them at once. Come back later and finish or clarify if you need to.
How would you describe your stamping style in 3 words? Clean and quirky

Currently, what are your 3 favorite images? Mama Elephant whales, Concord & 9th birds, SU Hello bird

What are your 3 favorite embellishments to use on a card? I'm not really an embellishment person, but I like rhinestones, sequins and glitter.

Alice in Wonderland, Winston from 1984 and Cinderella

You've been asked to design your own line of stamps. Using 3 words only, what is the name of your line of stamps? Understand Blue Stamps

Name 3 of your stamping idols. Francine Vuilleme, Dina Kowal, Kathy Racoosin

You have the opportunity to take classes pertaining to any aspect of card-making. What 3 classes would you choose? Anything from Online Card Classes, Dina Wakley or Tim Holtz

You're writing a note to your great-great grandchildren telling them why you love this hobby. What 3 things would you tell them? I don't have any children so I'd tell them I'm magical

You just won five million dollars; who are the first 3 members of Splitcoast you'd share it with? Muscrat, Dini, Superjen

What 3 pieces of advice do you wish you had received (or heeded) upon starting this hobby? Be yourself, less is more, practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 09:23 PM   #4  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

What a very cool topic!!!

How would you describe your stamping style in 3 words? Simple, Thin (cause I mail all my cards), Easy

Currently, what are your 3 favorite images Since it's Spring it would have to be three sets from Sweet n' Sassy Stamps: Spring Tulips, Flower Blocks 1, and Praise the Lord

What are your 3 favorite embellishments to use on a card? I don't use many embellishments but when I do it's always either ribbon, bling/pearls, or buttons

You get to send cards to your 3 favorite fictional characters. Who are they? Winnie the Pooh because his stories bring so much joy, Cinderella when she was being treated so badly by her sisters, and believe it or not - Smurfette! LOL!! Because she was the only girl and needed some "sisterhood". LOL!! Ok, doesn't that show my mentality - all cartoons - LOL!!

You've been asked to design your own line of stamps. Using 3 words only, what is the name of your line of stamps? Showing God's Love

Name 3 of your stamping idols. Hmm, not sure I have any...I admire so many here on SCS...

You have the opportunity to take classes pertaining to any aspect of card-making. What 3 classes would you choose? Coloring techniques in different mediums (pencils, markers, watercolor, etc), Ways to use scraps & things you already have, 1 layer cards

You're writing a note to your great-great grandchildren telling them why you love this hobby. What 3 things would you tell them? 1. I get to encourage someone with what I make. 2. I can pray for the person as I make their card. 3. It's a way to de-stress/relax

You just won five million dollars; who are the first 3 members of Splitcoast you'd share it with? Well that's easy - the 3 people below me in this thread.

What 3 pieces of advice do you wish you had received (or heeded) upon starting this hobby? 1. The big one would be don't get caught up thinking you have to have every new thing out there. 2. Don't try to keep up with everyone else - just because someone makes gorgeous cards that have tons of layers doesn't mean that's your style - find your style and embrace it. 3. If you haven't used it in a year - find a new home for it (this one is not just stamping but all the "stuff" that clutters our homes/lives).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

this is fun! hmm lots of forethought, here goes...Style: clean and simple

Favorite images: any poppy flower, Leafy Flourish (Hero Arts), the plane from SU The Sky is the Limit

Favorite Embellishments: ribbon, pearls, rhinestones

Favorite fictional characters to receive a card: Claire Randall Fraser (Diana Gabaldon), V.I. Warshawski (Sara Paretsky), Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich)

My own line of stamps: Purple Princess Stamps (in memory of my granddaughter, forever four)

Stamping Idols: Birgit aka Biggan, Dina Kowal, Angela? aka Arizona Maine

Three Classes: a Copic coloring class (again!), a watercolor class from Dina, a class to learn to make collage cards that look good!

A note for my great-great grandchildren telling them why I make cards: Love, I tried to create a card that fit the recipient, made with love

Sharing a $5,000,000 win with three SCS members: My hubby might have something to say about that! lol Luckily two of my sisters are members xx ginger xx and Patti (at least they used to be, not sure now) and Dina Kowal because I think she would do good deeds with it.

Three pieces of advice I wish I had received or heeded: look at each stamp and decide how versatile it could be (birthday,sympathy etc), don't waste your dollars on poor quality cardstock, ink, stamps, and don't beat yourself up, as you learn and stamp, your creations improve. If you like the end results that is what matters most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Lynkim, I found an Outlander fan! So Clare will be getting at least 2 cards!
Purple Princess Stamps tugs at my heart. ❤
I should have specified that of the five million, you will be sharing a PORTION of your winnings. How much is totally up to you, but you don't need to elaborate on that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 02:42 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

Great questions! I'm doing one -- stamping idols.
Dee Gruenig Posh Impressions
Shelli Gardner Stampin' Up!
Not stamping but scrapbooking -- Lisa Bearnson Creating Keepsakes magazine
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Great questions! Some are just too difficult though so I've skipped those for now.

Whatever takes shape!

The big butterfly from Hero Arts Antique Engraving set
Fish skeleton (Mini 100) by Paper Artsy
Big wild rose from (sadly closing this month) Waltzingmouse Roses in Bloom set

Generally pretty flat things so maybe sequins, raised dots made with die cut or punched circles (domed with an embossing stylus), clear Wink of Stella

Richard Mayhew (Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere)
Dr Who (any incarnation!)
Scout Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird)

I'd look for three newbies who are just setting out on a stamping journey on a budget so they could treat themselves to new toys.

Make an index of your stamps
Tidy up as you go along
Don't buy stuff just because someone else makes something cool with it, consider what you'll do with it yourself

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Lynkim, I found an Outlander fan! So Clare will be getting at least 2 cards!
Purple Princess Stamps tugs at my heart. ❤
I should have specified that of the five million, you will be sharing a PORTION of your winnings. How much is totally up to you, but you don't need to elaborate on that.
My portion. 100%, would go toward DIPG research! Love the Outlander series, I have devoured all of those books!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

OK....here goes.....

*traditional, whimsical, simple*

3 favorite images?
*All are individual stamps from different SU sets

*brads, rhinestones and ribbon

3 favorite fictional characters to send a card to:
*Elle from Legally Blonde
*Melanie from Gone With The Wind
*La La from the Teletubbies

3 words to describe own line of stamps:
*Twins Love Stamping (my twin and I love to stamp )

3 stamping idols:
*Kay P. (my CTMH demo)
*Terri Serman (fellow SCS'er - I always love her cards!)
*Sophie LaFontaine (another fellow SCS'er - she doesn't know it but I stalk her gallery all the time because she uses a lot of CTMH stamps that I own also)

Classes of any aspect of cardmaking:
*Gotta think about that

3 things to tell great-great grandchildren:
*People love getting handmade cards
*People love getting snail mail
*It's a great hobby/relaxation/escape

First 3 SCS members to share 5 million with:
*Forest Ranger
*barbaralynn
*Buggainok

3 pieces of advice you wish you had received:
*don't buy cheap stuff
*buy more than just one favorite piece of DP
*Use your piercing tool to pick up rhinestones

Fun thread!!

Who's next??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

First let me say I'm totally stoked that Lydia would share her millions with me! DH says to purchase that lottery ticket today! LOL

Stamping style is definitely CASE and CAS!

Favorite images: crazy birds, botanical notes, SU Favorite Teddy Bear 2003

Favorite embellishments: clear wink of Stella, metallic thread, pearls (all colors)

3 fictional characters I'd send cards to: Sam and Dean Winchester (from Supernatural..I'd send one to them as a pair. They are always fighting evil to make the world a better place! LOL); Jessica Fletcher to see if she'd let me help her solve a crime cause I'm a detective at heart!; and Derek Morgan from criminal minds...it'd be a congrats on the new baby! LOL

My line of stamps would be "Muscrat Love" Crafts

Stamping idols: dini, understandblue, and Jennifer McGuire.... And Kristina Werner. Oops. I can't count!

Classes: watercolor, brayering, layout and design

Tell the great great grandkids why I love this hobby: it was cheaper than therapy (well maybe not), I can pray for the recipients as I work, it makes others smile.

Share my millions: Dina and Lydia cause there constant work on this site brings me much joy week after week and fmcrafter cause she is always trying to make others happy, even when she's having rough days!

Advice: You don't need one in every color, read reviews before buying the next best item, and don't buy cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eclectic, soft, sentimental

lovely as a tree, timeless textures, work of art

candy dots, rhinestones, pearls

Miss Marple, Anne of Green Gables, Luna

stamp with bev

Mandy, Lydia, Buffy

techniques, watercoloring, mixed media

creating keeps me happy, sharing fills me with joy, always learning something new is inspiring

can't think of only three

don't buy what has just come out, don't try and duplicate someone else's style, start simply and build from there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is soooo hard! I've thought and thought and some of the questions are almost too difficult to answer.

Simple, Traditional, Colorful

The forward-facing train from SU's All Aboard set
Signing a Card from the House Mouse series
Doll with Bolero, from Julie Nutting's Prima Doll series

Ribbon (yes, I'm old school)
Tiny faux diamonds
Sometimes a button

Einstein (a dog in a Dean Koontz book)
Amelia Bedelia-- just imagine the fun possibilities!
Harry Bosch -- he could use some cheering up

Inky Pinky Playground

Don't throw rotten tomatoes at me, but I don't have any stamping idols. I guess I don't watch enough YouTube.

Mixed media; Watercoloring; Drawing (so I could make my own images)

It is a creative outlet good even for those of us without artistic talent
It is a way to have fun and bless others.
This hobby is not cheap, so get together often and share your tools & supplies.

Only 3? This is probably the hardest question of all!
Do I share with those who have been so generous to me?
Do I share with people who have held my hand and patiently answered my crafty questions?
Do I share with the SCS gals who give me a reason to log onto the computer every day?
I think I'd share with all of them, but if I had to choose only three I'd choose the newbies that Angel North mentioned.

To really enjoy scrapbooking and card making, you'll need more than a little paper, scissors and glue.
Don't collect a bunch of cheap junk, focus on buying a few nice things that you really love.
Dabble a lot and learn your style and abilities before forking over the big bucks for tools and supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

You really made me think for this one, Linda! I've really enjoyed reading the responses.

Stamping style: Eclectic, Evolving, Not CAS!!

3 favorite images: (slightly cheating since 2 are sets) Crazy Birds, MFT Lace Background, Dylusions Laugh Til You Leak

Favorite embellishments: Burlap, Twine, diy hot glue dots

Favorite fictional characters to send cards to: Have to think on this one!

Name of your line of stamps: Just for Fun!

The godmothers of this hobby - Carol Duvall & Dee Gruenig, Lindsay Weirich for her hints to keep it affordable

Coloring Techniques: Alcohol Markers, Watercolors, Colored Pencils
Mixed Media
Drawing

Note to your great-great grandchildren telling them why you love this hobby.
Cards and letters provide a personal connection, sorely needed in our disconnected world.
There's joy and freedom in creative expression plus it's a great stress release.
It's one of the ways I express my love.

Susie Australia, Peeps21 (Polly), f.schles (Francie) to facilitate fantastic stamping parties with each other ;)

Join a stamping group for inspiration, tips and techniques and new friendships.
A stamp set isn't a good deal if you won't use the majority of the stamps.
Try out a technique before you buy the supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

good topic~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 05:49 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quirky (I'll cop to it!), whimsical, clean/modern

Remember that song Love the One You're With?! The stamps I'm "with" right now are
House by Life.Love.Paper/Studio Calico
PTI Painted Blooms
PTI City Scene + Life.Love.Paper/Studio Calico Let's Get Away +Stampendous Urban Scribble + Penny Black Skyline (in my mind I get to group these together because they have the same theme )

Anything natural (twine, burlap, leaves etc.), circular paperclips, homemade paper embellishments made with UTEE

Dorothea from Middlemarch
Nick and Nora Charles from the Thin Man movies
Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy as Adam and Amanda Bonner in Adam's Rib

Grasscloth Paper & Inc.

So many, but currently Shari Carroll, Wilna Furstenberg, May Flaum

Mixed media, masking, watercolor

I would fly Linda (uncballfan) and Melissa59 to Biltmore in spring, and convene a committee on how we can best utilize that money to the benefit of crafters everywhere.

Start where you are
Buy quality
Practice practice practice and be kind about your own efforts--there are no rules or standards except the ones you make up in your head.

Last edited by poppydarling; 03-25-2016 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

From Poppy: I would fly Linda (uncballfan) and Melissa59 to Biltmore in spring, and convene a committee on how we can best utilize that money to the benefit of crafters everywhere.

Poppy, I can drive there quicker than I can get to an airport, so just say when...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 01:29 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

From Poppy: I would fly Linda (uncballfan) and Melissa59 to Biltmore in spring, and convene a committee on how we can best utilize that money to the benefit of crafters everywhere.

Poppy, I can drive there quicker than I can get to an airport, so just say when...
I am so in, even though I have no clue where Biltmore is! LOL
The only Biltmore I know is the old hotel in LA, now called the Millenium Biltmore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
The only Biltmore I know is the old hotel in LA, now called the Millenium Biltmore.
Biltmore is about 2 hours from me, near Asheville, NC, home of the Biltmore Estate and Gardens, which are heavenly this time of year, which is why Poppy picked spring. They have a hotel, so we could stay on-site; and they have a winery, so we can get properly mellowed out before we start our meeting. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Dah-link, you must not run with the right crowds!

:grin:

Biltmore
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 894 Likes on 567 Posts
Maple Leaf

eeeekkkkkk here goes nuthin!

How would you describe your stamping style in 3 words?what ever works!

What are your 3 favorite embellishments to use on a card?wink of stella, rhinestones

You've been asked to design your own line of stamps. Using 3 words only, what is the name of your line of stamps?corruptors R US

You have the opportunity to take classes pertaining to any aspect of card-making. What 3 classes would you choose?watercolouring...stamp design..organization

You're writing a note to your great-great grandchildren telling them why you love this hobby. What 3 things would you tell them?because I like to send hugs through the mail

You just won five million dollars; who are the first 3 members of Splitcoast you'd share it with?FIRST I would fly Muscrat out here to help me organize..then I think I would book a big area and invite newbies to come and try for free AND FLY my SCS friends there to help share the joy of crafting

What 3 pieces of advice do you wish you had received (or heeded) upon starting this hobby?I HAVE great friends that help advise me on whether I need something or not...or they show me alternate solutions to make a card I want without breaking the bank..JOIN SCS

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 12:45 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

layers, sparkle, dry embossing

Botanicals and nature, coffee theme, whimsical

rhinestones or stickles, twine/ribbon, punched sentiments

Kristina Werner, Mary Rose, mind you Bingamom

You have the opportunity to take classes pertaining to any aspect of card-making. What 3 classes would you choose? copics, design, water coloring

Think I'm good here!

Read more: The rule of thirds... by uncbballfan at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by Allistamps123; 03-26-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMcrafterView Post
You've been asked to design your own line of stamps. Using 3 words only, what is the name of your line of stamps?corruptors R US
At least you admit it! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 894 Likes on 567 Posts

Yes I admit it...no I will NOT change!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2016, 02:00 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

THE COLOR OF MY ANSWERS ARE IN HONOR OF MY TEAM MAKING IT TO THE FINAL FOUR. GO HEELS!

How would you describe your stamping style in 3 words? Clean and Simple.

Currently, what are your 3 favorite images? Tulips (PTI Tulip Time), Peony Scrolls (Altenew), Painted Flowers (Altenew)

What are your 3 favorite embellishments to use on a card? Sequins, Button Twine, diecuts

You get to send cards to your 3 favorite fictional characters. Who are they? Clare Randall Fraser, Toby Ziegler, Augustus McCrae

You've been asked to design your own line of stamps. Using 3 words only, what is the name of your line of stamps? "I Got Sunshine"

Name 3 of your stamping idols. Betsy Veldman, Marika Rahtu, Susan Raihala

You have the opportunity to take classes pertaining to any aspect of card-making. What 3 classes would you choose? Color theory, design composition, watercoloring

You're writing a note to your great-great grandchildren telling them why you love this hobby. What 3 things would you tell them? It's more than a hobby, it's a passion; creativity feeds my soul; I get to be an artist

You just won five million dollars; who are the first 3 members of Splitcoast you'd share it with? Gina, Melissa and Poppy

What 3 pieces of advice do you wish you had received (or heeded) upon starting this hobby? Quality over quantity, try new techniques, stay away from sweetened condensed milk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

What 3 pieces of advice do you wish you had received (or heeded) upon starting this hobby? Quality over quantity, try new techniques, stay away from sweetened condensed milk
That Tres Leches cake gets me every time :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

clean, simple, uniform

I am out of the loop at the moment, but people, flowers, animals

Ribbon, glitter, brads

Snoopy, Wonderwoman, James Bond

Jukie's Jems

Becca Feeken,Becca Feeken, Becca Feeken

Copic Colouring, anything that Becca Feeken does, ribbon tying

Creativity, passion, stress reliever

I don't pick favourites

Cheap and quality don't go together, someone else's style is not yours, you do not need all that paper (honestly you don't)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 04:46 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Clean, artistic, mailable

This is like impossible to answer... my broadest stamp categories are florals, birds, and beach scenes

Hmm... most embellishments defy my 'mailable' style... I do like adhesive pearls, ribbon, and buttons.

Winnie the Pooh, Anne Shirley, Jean ValJean

I already have one! dkdesigns @ Impression Obsession

Amy Sheffer, Debbie Olson, Jennifer Dove

Book making, Ranger U, anything with Dina Wakley

Reaching into someone else's world is worth it. Words are valuable. Cards are folded prayers.

Scrappigramma2 (Grace Nywening), scrapacat (Kyra Sanders), bfinlay (Bridget Finlay)

Create for the trash/ it's ok to throw it away if it doesn't work. You are enough. Get the good ones.
Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 03-29-2016 at 04:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 06:29 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Everyone who has answered - thanks so much! I believe this is my favorite thread I've ever started. Some replies have made me think, others have made me laugh, and some have touched my heart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Everyone who has answered - thanks so much! I believe this is my favorite thread I've ever started. Some replies have made me think, others have made me laugh, and some have touched my heart.
Yessss - thank you Linda!!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #31  

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Oooh, me too! I want to come and stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #32  

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post

Winnie the Pooh, Anne Shirley, Jean ValJean

Reaching into someone else's world is worth it. Words are valuable. Cards are folded prayers.

Create for the trash/ it's ok to throw it away if it doesn't work. You are enough. Get the good ones.
Three gems from Dini. Loving this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #33  

Now that I've read what everyone else says, I'm jumping in.

it's always changing

the birds and cages from MFT Tweet Friends.

Die cuts, sequins, twine

a wedding card for Edith from Downtown Abbey; Heidi; Snoopy

Designs by CindyB

Amy Sheffer, Kay Miller, Shari Carroll

Any class that helps me to use what I've already purchased!

time to create is not a waste of time. It brings joy to yourself and others.
Stamping/creating is a process that you can enjoy because it enables you to learn and grow in so many ways, and helps you to express your unique self.

You just won five million dollars; who are the first 3 members of Splitcoast you'd share it with? Lydia, Jenn Balcer and my friend Soozie4Him

Don't be so hard on yourself!!
Buy what you love.
Don't think that you need what everyone else currently has. ( I'm still working on this one!)
Thanks uncballfan (I'm one too) for some great questions!

Read more: The rule of thirds... by uncbballfan at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindybstampinView Post
Oooh, me too! I want to come and stamp!
You would be welcome! The more SCS, the merrier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

MOST DEFINITELY because she's a fellow TARHEEL fan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Simple, Colorful, Non Busy
An Angry Bird, a Penny Black Poppy & Hero Arts Jewels
Jewels, Straight Ribbon (no bows), & Washi Tape
Donald Duck, Tom & Jerry (and that really ages me)
Mossy Mushrooms
Tim Holtz, Simplicity & Birgit
Alcohol Ink, Watercolor & Bible Journaling
Follow your own heart. You don't have to have every color of anything. SCS & Email for inspiration.
I don't really know anyone on here personally, so probably no one.
I don't need every color of everything. Buy one of an item, play with it & only then get more. And, when you know you like something, get the best you can afford.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My Own Style

Unity- (Here today Here tomorrow butterfly)
SU-(Itty Bitty Background)
Stamplorations- (mixed media)

Inka gold metallic rub
handmade quilled roses
pearls

Seek Beauty Everywhere

Lettering,
watercoloring
making handmade lace embellishments.

Making cards lets you relax and think about making people happy.
Everyone loves getting happy mail.
It is a way to make the world a happier place.

This is a hard one... there are so many people who have helped me on my stamping journey. The one person I know I would share with is my best friend Pam (Bailmac) because of her encouragement and our own special little challenges.

Buy what YOU like and will use.
Don't be afraid to try new techniques?
Don't compare your projects to others. You are the only one who can do "your" style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

FUN thread

Uncomplicated, unfussy, neat

The teddy bear from the old SU set - Gift Tags
Penny Black 'It's for you' - which is a cute little dog holding a present
SU Dasher (retired)

sequins, ribbon/twine, buttons

Leroy Jethro Gibbs from NCIS (aka Mark Harmon)
Mr Darcy from Pride & Prejudice (aka Colin Firth)...droool......!
Colonel Jack O'Neill from Stargate SG-1 TV Series (aka Richard Dean Anderson)

Take me home!

Kristina Werner, Karen Dunbrook,
Kittie Caracciolo (Kittie Kraft)

Distress ink backgrounds
Creative ways for using all those dies I have collected & love - some of which I haven't used (!)
Masculine cardmaking

This hobby has helped me find my inner joy by creating mini artworks from just a few little pieces of cardstock, stamps & some pencils.
It has also made me feel part of a wonderful, kind & caring community here at SCS & in the blogging world - and they understand why I love this hobby so much when others think sending cards is "so yesterday"..
I am a very tactile person & I find it very soothing for my soul to look through my stash to find buttons, ribbons, brads, rhinestones etc. to match my card - as well as finding just the right papers for my card (I also love the smell of a brand new paper pad & my pencils!).

Buggainok (Annette),
MilwaukeeMommy (Michelle Peterman), Splitcoaststampers (so they can keep this place going!)

What 3 pieces of advice do you wish you had received (or heeded) upon starting this hobby

Don't buy stamps on impulse just because you love someone's card.
Create 'Wish Lists' and go back to them a week or more later to see if you are still as excited about the product (rather just buying it straight away).
If you are having a bad cardmaking day & everything is going wrong, walk away & come back another day rather than 'forcing' yourself to keep going.
4th one: The sky won't fall in if you buy a card because you couldn't finish a card in time to post for someone's birthday.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

A mixed bag
--------

PTI Simply Jane, PTI In The Meadow, Altenew Striped Florals
--------

Sequins, enamel dots, Wink of Stella

--------

Mary Poppins, Edward Scissorhands, The Tinman (Wizard of Oz)

--------

I'll have to come back to this one later...

--------

Betsy Veldman, Melissa Phillips, Kristina Werner
--------

watercolor techniques, distress ink techniques, modeling paste techniques
--------

It makes me happy to create things, the experimentation involved is fascinating, gives me a sense of purpose
--------

Uhhhh... since I don't know anyone that well, I'd share it with the first three that asked.. lol :p
--------

Remember this is supposed to be fun -- not frustrating, don't scrimp on cardstock, figure out what exactly you want to make and what your 'style' is before throwing a bunch of money away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Girly, cute, simple

Sparkle, ribbon, flower soft

Minnie Mouse, Anne of Green Gables, Penny from Big Bang Theory

Coloring, design, different card folding.

Perfect way to be an artist, they bring joy to those you love, best hobby ever

DCinkit, Gail Russell, FMcrafter

you don't need all the new gadgets. Have a really good paper cutter. You have your own style, so have fun with it.
Reply With Quote Likes