Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Do you have more resistance online or in person shopping?

I searched and didnt find this Q, so I figured I would throw it out there...

I am just wondering if people feel they have more resistance to avoid impulse buying online or in person? I know there are a gazillion studies on this in the marketing universe but we are a universe unto ourselves here

Some people have less resistance when it is actually in the hand.
Some people have less when it is just a click of the button.

In person, I have been known to impulse grab either sale or non sale. Those shiny bits lol. But online...only sale items. Never non sale. Probably at least partly b/c I am not even looking at them which is harder to avoid in person.

So I guess my risk is higher in person.

What about you?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. I probably buy more in person because I figure that at least I am not paying shipping on it. So you can just get that one thing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

I spend more online because, there is not that much tempting within hand reach when you live in the boon docks

that being said I wish every online store everywhere could take the time to list the sizes of their products. ( be it stamps or dies) my main collected tools :mrgreen:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hmm that's interesting. I haven't noticed that I have much resistance But I can tell you that if I am with friends, I'm MUCH more likely to buy things at shows, in stores, etc. - especially if everyone is squealing about something cute - I'm helpless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting question, Wavejumper. I definitely have more resistance in person when shopping. That includes all items, stamping, paper, clothing, shoes, etc.

In stores, I frequently carry something around in my shopping basket for a while, and then fall out of love with it, and put it back.

Online, I seem to get into a trance, and it's just too easy to click the little button. You don't even have to get into your wallet and find your credit card like you do in person - just CLICK and it's done.

Amazon Prime has really been my downfall, too.

And, Lydia, I think you are right about not having much resistance no matter what.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much easier to resist at a bricks and mortar store, when the items are in my hand versus virtual :-) Just like spending "plastic" money, just doesn't feel just like the same spending. And I "own" the items in my cart for a little while at a store and I use that as a spending curb. That said, I cannot resist something I've wanted or needed on sale anywhere LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

What an interesting question! Definitely I have more resistance in an B&M shop, I can go in, walk around and buy nothing. Not that I'm a wild online spender either ;-), and because I don't believe there's any such thing as really free shipping (somewhere, somehow it has to be paid for, and often it's the retailer/wholesaler who carries the cost, but it's still there), I just buy what I need without trying to make a total up to free carriage (except Amazon!!). I hate shopping, so for me, being able to click and buy something, even with the cost of postage, beats having to trek into town and buy it in person. Not that most craft supplies are available here anyway...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I do better online where I can see a running total. I often buy clearance items in stores (crafting and non-crafting purchases) and I'm shocked at the end price....even $.99 bargains add up fast!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Very interesting question, Wavejumper. I definitely have more resistance in person when shopping. That includes all items, stamping, paper, clothing, shoes, etc.

In stores, I frequently carry something around in my shopping basket for a while, and then fall out of love with it, and put it back.

Online, I seem to get into a trance, and it's just too easy to click the little button. You don't even have to get into your wallet and find your credit card like you do in person - just CLICK and it's done.

Amazon Prime has really been my downfall, too.

And, Lydia, I think you are right about not having much resistance no matter what.
THIS!

For whatever reason I tend to do the same when I can physically carry something around and hem-haw as my granny would say, about it.

I do sort of the same thing online in that I will put something in my cart then leave it there. More often than not I end up ordering though where I may not in person. I HATE waiting for things to be delivered BUT I LOVE when they come, it's like a fun surprise even if I know it's coming! I think I could literally get addicted to packages being delivered...:rolleyes:

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I resist and then I resist more and then I resist 'til it hurts. I don't resist because I want to. I resist out of necessity. But as for your question, brick 'n' mortar or online . . .

It's so easy for me to resist in store items. Why? Because I know they'll be there next week, the week after and the week after that. My in-person stores are Michael's, JoAnn's and sometimes, when I'm in that city, Hobby Lobby. Same ol' same ol' and not much that calls my name except for the basic necessities, like ATG tape or cardstock.

I rarely shop online, but when I do I always spend more than I would in a brick & mortar store. In fact, whenever reasonably possible, I save up to buy several things at once so I can get free shipping. BTW ... I'm really bummed that Amazon increased it's free shipping from $35 to $49. Hiss. Boo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ummmm...NO RESISTANCE anywhere! Its true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
that being said I wish every online store everywhere could take the time to list the sizes of their products. ( be it stamps or dies) my main collected tools :mrgreen:
I agree!
There's nothing like ordering something, opening up the package and pulling out a 1/2" something that looked 36" wide on the computer screen.

I remember ordering a stamp set years ago for a scrap page and when it arrived I realized it was much, much too small to use for its intended purpose. I remember thinking, "It looked twice this size on that card in the picture."
And that's when I learned that A2 was the standard, not the 5x7 I was used to buying in the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

So I am the only one who will throw a bit of bling in the basket in a store?...I dont how you guys call yourselves members of the shiny penny club! lol

I agree about lack of sizes Stacey! That's annoying. Esp since size matters in this stuff. I also dont want to know the size of the packaging, or the size of the wood block-I want to know the size of the image thank you. Or the biggest one in a set at least.

People are interesting...some keep me from buying but others could push me too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

This is a great question! I can buy almost anything if the price is right and I am in that buy mode. There are items that I will buy online in a minute given the price is right. Then there are things that I must see first hand to decide if I really need the item, that is why attend craft shows.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

In person. Online I have wish lists in several places and I wait for a sale and free shipping and then I order. I've never been one that must have it now, I can wait for a better price and free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 01:59 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm the opposite of most of you. I can definitely resist online easier than in-store. Those shiny bits just gravitate to my basket in the store, especially when they are on sale. When I'm shopping online, I'm usually ISO something specific rather than just browsing like I do in the B&M store.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 09:04 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Hmmm...like for instance, say somebody on the Stamping Enablers page on Facebook announces that Joann is having a 40% off all paper crafting sale. And then you go to Joann.com and there's a $1.99 shipping offer, and the pearl pens you were just looking at on Amazon at $6.99 and $7.99 are on sale for $2.99, and let's say a few of the cat's eye ink pads you wanted are not $3.99 but $1.49. And the gold Delicata ink pad you've wanted for a couple of years ha ha is not $10 but $5.99, and the Ranger Liquid Platinum embossing powder that you can't seem to stop thinking about is not $5.99 but $2.99, well, those are the moments where I cave into temptation immediately. And I did :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Whoot Poppy! Yay for you!!! Sounds like a lot of great stuff!

But see now...that isnt so much the impulse to me...that is all stuff you knew about, wanted, some for years no less....not like something you had not seen before and knee jerked and grabbed it too. Or maybe there was something like that...lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm pretty good about resisting everywhere!

Online for me only means Amazon since I only use my gift card account (no credit card purchases online). Now with the increased amount to get the "free shipping" I will have to use more money from my gift cards. wah.

In store is usually JoAnn's with my friends with lunch thrown in for good measure! We shop AFTER we eat! So it depends on if the coupons will work for what I want and what prices things are that I need. Usually I go over and look at the adhesives, can't understand why they are so expensive??

When I started this wonderful hobby I vowed not to spend a bunch of money on it. Well...okay I spent some. But mostly my "stuff" comes from thrift stores so I can justify a purchase now and then from Amazon or Joann's. Being retired is a blessing but the budget has to be followed since our income is always the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Whoot Poppy! Yay for you!!! Sounds like a lot of great stuff!

But see now...that isnt so much the impulse to me...that is all stuff you knew about, wanted, some for years no less....not like something you had not seen before and knee jerked and grabbed it too. Or maybe there was something like that...lol.
Yes, that's true. It's really more "impulse" after thinking about it for a long time LOL I rarely throw something in my cart that I just found out about unless the price is super low and I've had a quick search online to compare prices. I even use the Amazon barcode comparison scanner app on my phone when I'm in a bricks and mortar store.

So I guess I'm really not impulsive at all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I find that I have the least resistance on-line. And even more so if they have a tutorial. The other reason is that we only have brick and mortar stores that are chain stores so not to much cool stuff. I have even ventured to sites from the UK and France.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

It depends...

I'm a sucker at Tuesday Morning and at thrift stores. If you don't buy it, it probably won't be there next time. Like Buggainok and Poppydarling, I carry things around in my cart and put some things back. I exercise a little self control. It's very easy to resist at the major stores, like Melissa59 says, it'll be there later.

Online is much easier to resist EXCEPT when there's a 50% off sale and those items aren't available in local stores. My current solution is no online browsing. I haven't checked out Wavejumper's weekly sales thread for awhile, MUST RESIST!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I guess I have more resistance in person, because I almost never feel the need to even walk into a brick-and-mortar store. Bling and such doesn't really interest me because I seldom use it when I get around to actually making a card.

Online, though, I usually put things on a wishlist or cart and leave it alone for awhile. Most of the time, when I re-visit it, there are some things that I thought I wanted that it turns out I actually don't, and they get removed. If the item doesn't fall out of favor over several re-visits, I'll hit the "buy" button - usually when there's a sale going on.

That being said, I will qualify this by saying that I have more stuff than I will use in my lifetime, and I have generous friends (yes, I'm looking at you, Amber) and don't need to buy anything, truthfully. I'm in more of a purging mode than a buying one...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I didn't realize that Amazon had raised their free shipping minimum to $49. Ouch! I didn't mind too much when they raised it from $25 to $35 as I found $35 pretty easy to meet also. I keep a wish list with them, so if I need a few extra $ to get free shipping, I've usually got something on my list to add in. But $49 will definitely mean fewer orders. Don't know if that will mean I buy less (a good thing), delay purchasing until I have a bigger order, or if I will start buying from other places? I wonder if Amazon is using this as a strategy to get everyone on Prime?
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 156 Likes on 80 Posts

Less resistance online for sure!!
I seem to be able to talk myself out of things when they are in my hand....'it will be here later if I change my mind'....etc...
Online though...Pay pal makes it way tooo easy!! lol
:razz:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

I rarely buy any stamping supplies online. I buy a fair amount of clothes from one online store.

I'm mainly SU and that is where my weakness lies!

So not online, but not in brick & mortar shops!

I love to shop for clothes/shoes/jewelry in real life and always buy more in stores. I never really hem and haw.....I know what I like when I see it.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 03-13-2016 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 02:52 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
I didn't realize that Amazon had raised their free shipping minimum to $49. Ouch! ...I wonder if Amazon is using this as a strategy to get everyone on Prime?
I think maybe so. I am a happy Prime member because I can't drive at the moment and get out and about very much, but I do feel that some companies have an unnatural hold on us LOL Not sure what to do about it when their prices are so good, and they deliver in what feels like 36 hours. It's very seductive�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
Online for me only means Amazon since I only use my gift card account (no credit card purchases online). Now with the increased amount to get the "free shipping" I will have to use more money from my gift cards. wah.
I just learned that DickBlick.com (art store) takes Amazon payments!
I think that means those of us who use Amazon gift cards can now use that money for DickBlick art supplies.

I save my change. When my peanut can is full, I dump it into a CoinStar kiosk and get the Amazon gift card (no fee for a gift card). I think I'm saving up for colored pencils--but I might change my mind and get some stamps instead.

Impulse purchases, for me, are extremely rare. I keep a wish list (a real, paper and pen list) and have a rule that if I want to buy something it has to be an item on my list. Most items are specific by brand and item name, but some are general such as "circle dies" and "colored pencils."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I love to shop for clothes/shoes/jewelry in real life and always buy more in stores.
Funny, I absolutely HATE clothes shopping--at least I hate shopping for clothing for myself! I'm terrible at picking out styles that are flattering. I hate paying the price for new. And I am disgusted by what I see in those full-length mirrors! :mad:

Whenever I "must" buy something (last year it was a top for a job interview), I drag along my clothes-horse friend. She and I have completely different tastes in style and color, but we know each other's taste well enough that we make a good shopping team.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

I don't have the resistance gene. But I'm getting better at it. Maybe because I already own it all...

I don't have any craft stores near me, so on line is 95% of my purchases. And I prefer on line because it's always better pricing and more product options then the B&M stores.

I just dropped my prime membership. Prime is now over $100, and I noticed that Amazon doesn't always have better pricing this last year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

[QUOTE=Janet1000;21196306]I don't have the resistance gene. But I'm getting better at it. Maybe because I already own it all...

LOL!! It is true (thank g-d) I am past the point in my buying evolution where if I realize I am missing something I dont feel compelled to get every one of it in the universe. You dont even want to know how many cake stamps I have. :rolleyes::oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Re --- re--sist---ance?? Not sure what you're talking about here...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not much of a shopper so it is harder for me to resist online. I have a quite a few things (I'm not telling how many! :oops: ) that I had to have but haven't been used! I certainly don't need anything but want tons so I'm trying to get into the habit of pinning my wants instead of buying right away. Interestingly, after a while I'm not wanting that stuff as much as I did when I put it on my wish list!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank goodness for wishlists. Mine has saved me tons! Not just money but stuff I grew out of before I even owned it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2016, 02:17 AM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

I don't have access to many shops for card making supplies. Department stores like Kmart are about all we have around my area. So, my shopping experience is online, started with Ebay and paypal, then I ventured into ordering direct from suppliers who had retail stores online mostly in America, I am in Australia. However, over this past year or so the greatest resistance for me is the international postage rates, and a very low dollar exchange rate - any item in US$ costs about $3 per item more and then add that to the cost of postage which can vary from $10 to $30 depending on who the seller is and what items are bought. Though I did like buying from US companies because it meant I could have items not available here in OZ. But that has gone now and if the dollar exchange rate improves before next century I might be dealing with resistance regarding online shopping. This is a good question to think about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2016, 04:31 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonnannyView Post
I don't have access to many shops for card making supplies. Department stores like Kmart are about all we have around my area. So, my shopping experience is online, started with Ebay and paypal, then I ventured into ordering direct from suppliers who had retail stores online mostly in America, I am in Australia. However, over this past year or so the greatest resistance for me is the international postage rates, and a very low dollar exchange rate - any item in US$ costs about $3 per item more and then add that to the cost of postage which can vary from $10 to $30 depending on who the seller is and what items are bought. Though I did like buying from US companies because it meant I could have items not available here in OZ. But that has gone now and if the dollar exchange rate improves before next century I might be dealing with resistance regarding online shopping. This is a good question to think about.
Thank you for this! Sometimes I forget how lucky I am to be where I am, for a variety of reasons. This just reinforces how much I take for granted the fact that I can get low/free shipping compared to much of the world, and what a vast array of items are available so readily. I've been guilty in the past of whining about some companies that are only in the UK, for example, and it's so completely ridiculous on my part! Okay, so I can't get THAT EXACT cute little stamp, but there are bizillions of others that are equally cute that are "local" enough to make it more than worth my time to track them down...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Retail stores carry the same lines for the most part so I buy less. Online shopping has the advantage over retail, because I find just what I'm looking for. Self control when it comes to crafting is not one of my strongest attributes. I have found settling for a lesser quality at retail usually costs me more in the end, because I end up buying exactly what I want online. I can't resist using my coupons at retail for odds and ends.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

My weak point would be B&M. I'm like one of the other stampers that will only use a gift card of some kind if it is online. So, usually, I will save up my money, so I can place a large order, and hopefully, get free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Denver we only have the big chain stores. They have cut down their papercrafting aisles to a bare minimum. The thing I miss most is seeing good double sided paper that used to be at Archivers. I use a lot in my Silhouette for making 3D items. It is nice to have the paper in person to match it up to other paper & embellishments for a project. So I don't do much at big box stores. I find great deals at JoAnn.com. I use PayPal there. You do have to but a bunch of same paper but it works better than nothing. I try to buy enough for free shipping which takes forever to arrive. I do buy from smaller online stores if they are having a sale and take PayPal. Amazon is good to find some stuff & I have prime so that is good.
I do miss browsing and seeing great ideas at a real store!
Reply With Quote Likes