Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How many distress inks do I need?

I am late coming to distress inks. How do I begin to decide how many & what Colors I need. I have discovered they are the best for sponging and blending; not to forget the colorlifting technique I am hooked on. My cards lean to flower and nature themes. Im not in to cute at all. Is there a method for choosing what to buy. I am thinking of mini pads and reinkers as space is a problem. Any advice out There?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only buy mini pads and re-inkers. Start with the colors you use most, you will quickly see what additional colors would be useful and be able to fill in where you want to.

...just learning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Only you can decide which ones you need. Pick the ones you like. I love the Distress inks because the colors are so nature-like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm with Debbie - the method is "what do you like?"

That said, if you're majoring on flowers and nature images you might do well to start with maybe a pink for flowers (Picked Raspberry is my favourite and you can get good shading just by using more or less diluted ink) a green or two for foliage (Shabby Shutters and Peeled Paint are my favourites there) and a brown or two for trunks, stems, autumn leaves or animals (I find Vintage Photo very versatile and use Antique Linen a lot for a lighter shade).

As Dalene says, you can play with just a few to start with and fill in once you decide what gaps you want plug.

I've attached a card made with Picked Raspberry, Shabby Shutters and Peeled paint just so you can see how those work together.

Have fun picking out some new colours and playing with them!
Attached Thumbnails
How many distress inks do I need?-rosebirthday.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I am one of the few people who actually stamps with distress inks sometimes, so I am an odd one. I would only choose the colors you really like.

As all the new ones were coming out last year, I thought that someone just getting started might just get those new ones and have some modern and complete rainbow of colors. Just a thought.

Also, I use antique linen a lot to age things, or if you wanted to do no-line coloring.

Good luck picking! I think the mini pads would work fine for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
I am late coming to distress inks. How do I begin to decide how many & what Colors I need. I have discovered they are the best for sponging and blending; not to forget the colorlifting technique I am hooked on. My cards lean to flower and nature themes. Im not in to cute at all. Is there a method for choosing what to buy. I am thinking of mini pads and reinkers as space is a problem. Any advice out There?
Oooh you will want them all! :grin: I have a similar style and started with the more toned-down colors in the range that are nice for natural themes: Antique Linen, Weathered Wood, Walnut Stain, Tattered Rose, Peeled Paint, Stormy Sky, Broken China, Tumbled Glass.

Just recently, I started adding some brighter colors and have had a lot of fun with them, too: Picked Raspberry, Ripe Persimmon, Wild Honey, Crushed Olive, Ground Espresso, Cracked Pistachio, Abandoned Coral.

I have been accumulating mini or full-size pads as they are on sale. Sometimes Joann has the full-size pads as low as $2.99. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm with poppydarling. Of course you need them all! I have all but the last couple of 2015 monthly colors, and I use almost every color at one time or another.

I'll allow that you might need to get the ones you like the best first...but eventually I bet you'll have all of them.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I think Im on my way "fionna51" i just bought my 23 rd color. 13 of which due for delivery on Saturday.
Why did it take me so long?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I only use the distress inks for stamping so I have 60 of them in full size! The only one I am missing is picket fence!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 04:00 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I have the minis and reinkers. I love anything rainbow on my cards, so I started with ROYGBIV -- one mini for each color. After a while, I started filling in with colors I felt I was missing, a second green, a second blue, etc.

If you do lots of flowers, I like the idea of starting with a few pinks and greens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 04:50 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=howdyheidi;21193977]I am one of the few people who actually stamps with distress inks sometimes, so I am an odd one. I would only choose the colors you really like.

Another odd one here. I stamp with my distress ink all the time because I love the colors and the look I get when I stamp with them. That's why I have collected all the colors over the years.
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 05:38 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly I think you "need" three. A black tone, a brown tone, and a lighter brown / linen tone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Oh you gals are enablers.LOL I hardly ever stamp even though I have 4000+'stamps. I have tons of die cut sentiments I use. I guess technically, I am a paper crafter. I use tons of layers and pay extra postage for everything. Now I must try more stamping. I love the evolutionary nature of this craft. Never boring; just more techniques to try. I love it and get so much joy. Now, I'm impatient for my colors to get here tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 06:33 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

every time I come across your thread I want to say "all of them"

but, color is such an subjective thing your probably better off starting with your favorites.
my go to color hands down I have replaced the full size pad several times over the years, is Antique Linen. followed by Vintage photo. but, I really do use all the colors ( 'cept the black and white much) and I find I use the markers just as much as the pads so if space is at a premium maybe getting the Markers in the lesser used colors would be a good option for you.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I got all of them, but that was after I made a decision about inks in general. So they are my main dye ink line. I also use them to stamp. It isnt easy...so many brands of inks esp with hybrids showing up to confuse me more.

But I didnt get the pens, the sprays, the stains, etc etc etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I am just jumping in here. I have bought lots of the big size distress inks, but after trying and trying to do sponging with them on glossy paper and not liking the results... there they sit. I need to just stamp more with them which brings me to my question. Do they only work on watercolor paper or is it okay with whisper white cardstock?

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I am just jumping in here. I have bought lots of the big size distress inks, but after trying and trying to do sponging with them on glossy paper and not liking the results... there they sit. I need to just stamp more with them which brings me to my question. Do they only work on watercolor paper or is it okay with whisper white cardstock?
They definitely work on good-quality thick card stock. One thing I like about them is you can get a watercolor look without having to use a lot of water! You might try this with a leaf or greenery or flower stamp: dab 2 or 3 different complementary colors in different areas of the stamp, then lightly mist with water and stamp onto card stock. You can work the color around a little bit more with a wet paintbrush but I like the look without manipulating it any further.

I have a skeleton leaf background stamp and a palm leaf background stamp and it looks terrific with both of those!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Shirl, I don't know the answer to your Whisper White question, but I don't think you'd get good results sponging distress inks on glossy cardstock. And I don't sponge them on watercolor paper. I do tap 1 or more DI pads on my non-stick mat, sprtiz with water and use on watercolor paper that way; or I use them to watercolor an image.

To sponge onto cardstock, I think you need a smooth matte paper. I've used PTI and Michaels Recollection 110# cardstocks and had great success with both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 4: Black Soot, Old Paper, Vintage Photo and Tumbled Glass. I use the black for stamping, the 2 neutrals for distressing edges and antiquing effects and the blue for sponging skies. I love all the colors but know I wouldn't use them. I keep my ink collection to 95% SU- I like their larger pads with the attached lids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Shirl, I don't know the answer to your Whisper White question, but I don't think you'd get good results sponging distress inks on glossy cardstock. And I don't sponge them on watercolor paper. I do tap 1 or more DI pads on my non-stick mat, sprtiz with water and use on watercolor paper that way; or I use them to watercolor an image.

To sponge onto cardstock, I think you need a smooth matte paper. I've used PTI and Michaels Recollection 110# cardstocks and had great success with both.
Thanks Linda E. and poppydarling for your helpful responses. Linda, that is interesting about the glossy c.s. because it was a class I took that did this. Of course the teacher made it look easy, but when I came home and tried it for hours, I finally gave up. You have helped more than you know.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

No one can really tell you what Distress Ink pads that you may or not may need. Color is a subjective thing. I like the inks because of their blending abilities.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes