Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2016, 05:44 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default I betrayed myself

Because I have swiss cheese memory, I tend to keep lists about everything in life and write myself notes. I should buy stock in post-its.

In 2015 I accidentally duplicated several stamps and dies. I could not understand how this happened. I have lists. I have a huge master index. What the heck???

Took awhile but I figured it out. I hate when systems have partial fails. Harder to figure out what it is. I dreaded this problem on the job too.

A list is only as good as you update it.

Apparently, when I got rid of the wishlists at stamps sites (I could have the same stamp in 5 places and that caused duplication) and consolidated to my one at home...I didnt verifiy if I had already gotten it thoroughly enough.

Also sometimes when in a rush, while I always stamp into my index when I get new stamps, I dont apparently go back and clear the wishlist.

New plan: If I order it, it comes off immediately. If I dont get it, then it can go back on. 99% of the time I should not have to do anything.

I will have to find time now to comb over the wishlist and figure out what needs to go. I already dumped 8 from Penny Black. Of course when I saw the new release, 6 new ones went on. But that's another story. :rolleyes:

Because I have the index, I dont have a list of my stamps. That may have to change. I definitely want to do one for sentiments at least.

How good are you at updating?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2016, 06:41 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do keep a craft wishlist. Whenever I purchase an item from the list I automatically make sure the item gets deleted. I know that if I wasn't so diligent that I have many duplicates of dies and embossing folders.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I too have duplicated in the past. Stamps and dies. So I'm working on apps now. I have a huge amount of stock already done in Evernote, the beauty of which is it works on Android devices, so I will have it on my phone when out shopping. Thats assuming of course I remembered to pick my phone up off the table. Not guaranteed. I'm also doing it now in One Note, a Microsoft app that I actually prefer, as it allows me to resize images, but is no good for Android devices! But it does mean when I've got it done on my PC, I will be able to print pages off to have to hand in a binder I can flick through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

I used to be able to take my lists with me shopping. No more. I remember my first stamping class the teacher said build the index so you keep track.

I just cant read on a phone very well and am loathe to get an ipad or whatever just for that reason.

I thought these apps were just written lists...but you said images. You take pics of the stamps?

This One Note site says they can do Android...look along the top....I dont get this stuff but maybe good for you Shaz?

https://www.onenote.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks wavejumper, I will look at that. Being a Microsoft product, I just assumed it only worked on Microsoft products!That would mean I don't need two versions of the same thing. As for the pictures, I use another Microsoft feature, called the Snipping Tool. I find images of a stamp on the net, then use the Snipping tool to cut out/copy the image. A bit like the old Print Screen feature, but you can just 'cut out' the bit you want. I prefer it to written lists, as I find I can often skim past a name and not see it, but it's harder to miss an image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

I hope it works for you!

That snip tool sounds interesting. What version of Microsoft do you have to have to get it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 01:46 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I'm running 10 now, but it was available on 8 & 8.1. It may have been on OS's before that, but I hadn't found it, lol.
Just call up your search bar, and type in Snipping Tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 05:37 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am not on 10 yet. I will try that. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 06:09 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Hi wavejumper, just been checking this out, and yes, it is now available for Android devices! You are a real gem- this saves me having two lots of software to update. My whole reasoning for having something like Evernote was so I would always have a copy of my stash with me. This is ace, I much prefer One Note.
By the way, I just checked, and the Snipping Tool has been around since Windows Vista, so you most likely have it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,911 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I don't really have wish lists. I only track what I've purchased. And I use one note too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Hi wavejumper,just repeating what an absolute gem you are! Downloaded One Note from the App store, and it synced everything I'd already stored on my pc version perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

And I will follow that up with saying what a gem YOU are, Shaz! I know I've said it before on another thread, but that snipping tool is THE BEST TRICK EVER!!! I use it for EVERYTHING! FYI for those who are unfamiliar with it: it works in every computer program I've ever attempted. I can snip something from the web or in a Word document or PDF or Excel, copy it and paste it right into something else. you can re-size, rotate, crop - whatever! The only drawback is that you can only "snip" what's visible on your computer screen - no scrolling or anything. I don't care - it's my FAVORITE anyway!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 01:39 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Sue, I have to admit it's probably my most used little program too. I love that it means I no longer have to scan crafting stuff to add to my inventory, I can just find the images on the web. I'd love it to be scrollable too, but we can't have everything. Although one look at most of our craft rooms would give the lie to that statement,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 05:08 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Cool! I am so glad that worked out for you! Yay!!!

Sometimes I think not having wishlists might be smart. No upkeep work and no standing temptations...but then what? When there is a sale you search the whole site for what you want Kathy? That takes me too long to do. This way I just look at my list and the what's new and I am out.

I really enjoy going over a new company to me, but I dont want to keep going over the same stuff and with my memory...that's exactly what I would end up doing.

Last edited by wavejumper; 03-05-2016 at 05:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 05:42 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,911 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I don't shop online, which makes it much easier to not have wish lists. If I need something, I write down what I need in notepad on my phone and pull it up when I'm at the store. Notepad allows me different titles, so I have one for crafts one for groceries one for Walmart etc.So technically I guess I do have lists. They're just short because I'm limited to where I shop. Most of my stuff is SU because I go to a monthly class....leaving now for my March class!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evernote would be a great way to track wish lists.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Not stamp shopping online would make everything a lot easier.

Leslie my problem is my phone is just that-a phone. I use it for nothing else. I cant see on that screen all that well and I am not just not tech savvy but the complete opposite. Good thing I am not a young person.
Reply With Quote Likes