Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Lets talk sentiments...

If you've ever bought a set of stamps and it contained sentiments you couldn't or wouldn't use, raise your hand. Everybody? You're my kind of people!

Some of the sentiments have me scratching my head and wondering, "If I use that on a card, who would I send it to?"

Ok, let's hear 'em. I'll start.

"Live your bliss." If someone sent me a card with this sentiment, I'd expect a check along with it. A BIG check.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The little moments with you matter a lot to me." Well, yes, but I wouldn't exactly word it that way! Don't worry, I still love you, Watercolor Wings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 03:29 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Not exactly what you are talking about, but is it just me, or does almost every stamp manufacturer look at a sheet of stamps, and say 'I know what will fill that gap- a Thank You stamp!' I was talking about this with a crafting friend, and counted my Thank You stamps, apart from a single one I actually bought, I have 27 Thank You stamps. Just how grateful am I supposed to be? And can they not be a little more imaginative? Happy Birthday is always going to be useful.

But on your subject, I do have a set with a lady in a gorgeous dress, which I use as a bridal card. The sentiment? 'I could have danced all night.' Really? Was that the best they could do?

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 01-22-2016 at 03:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently watched a Jennifer McGuire video where she mentioned a few sentiment sets that featured "different" sayings. Some were cute, and I could see using them for kids cards if I did many of those, but many were along the lines of "live your bliss" mentioned above.
I would like a few different sentiments in my stash, something beyond the basic hello, thanks, thinking of you; but I don't want to buy any of these sets where I end up only using one or two out of seven! Kind of the opposite of what the original post but a similar problem I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm still frustrated by how often "The essence of love is kindness" gets included - yeah, probably, but how many times do you have to tell me? AND I agree about thank you. Also "Thinking of You" is popular on a nearly non-stop basis (I had three 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" storage panels that were ONLY "thinking of you" prior to the purge, seriously). I'm also not a fan of sentiments that are a bit crude but show up in sets with images that are not (can't think of an example right now, but I know I've seen a few).

I have to say that some of the sentiments that don't work on cards work really well for other things. "Live your bliss" would work really well if you were making a little book of inspirational quotes for someone, as an example - or on an altered frame or mixed media piece or something. As another non-whiny comment, I'm finding that Unity has a lot of really great sentiments - as stand-alone stamps and included with images. They're all 60% off until tomorrow, too...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 01-22-2016 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 07:33 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I can relate. I love sending cards, but not super mushy ones, and lots of the sentiments included right now are bordering on mushy, IMO. I don't mind having Thank you in lots of different fonts though. I could probably send a Thank you card every day, if I thought about it.

In their defense, I think some of the sentiments right now are intended for use in art journals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #7  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

OMG that is hilarious!!!!

My current odd one is "Come - let's sit together and drink" - it's supposed to go with champagne or hot chocolate (not drinking a lot of hot chocolate down here in basically northern Mexico) - but it just really makes me want a stamp with a drunk cat or elephant image
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

LOL Lydia!

That one phrase is the only reason I haven't ordered that set. If it were "Come, let's drink some" or "Come, let's enjoy some" I'd snap up in an instant but the way it's worded sound stiff and it doesn't flow over the tongue. I feel awkward just reading it.

I like live your bliss. I think it would be great for a retirement card or even a graduation card. It would also work great for scrapping a page of someone doing what they love (their bliss)

I'm pretty much over hello, and thank you. I don't mind having a thank you in several different font styles and sizes but I definitely don't need 50 thank you stamps even though I have tons of things to give thanks for.
Even though about 95% of my stash is SU I have purged the most by keeping the stamps I love best from each set and dumping the rest in a basket to sell at the flea market. Singles sell better for me than sets.

Anyhow, birthday stamps always come in handy no matter how many I have and I like thinking of you but I don't have an overabundance of those like I do thank yous and hellos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Just popping back in to say that I never met a "happy" sentiment that I didn't like, lol...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Crazy sentiments

I'm with Lydia on the come...sit and drink - really don't understand why SU thought people would like that. And my newest really can't understand is one of the stamps that was in the January Paper Pumpkin - these are Valentine stamps and one of them is meh. Yes, just the letters meh. Why would you put that on a Valentine?

And then a friend recently shared a possibility with me that a friend had shared with her and I thought it was great for the right situation of course. In the sale-a-bration set with the little chick stamp oh hello on the front of the card but leave off the o in hello and then inside stamp hang in there. Guess you have to have a little bit of a twisted sense of humor to appreciate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

On a more serious note, I have avoided buy any sets that have contained "Happy Father's Day", a sentiment that I'll never need. :( My dad passed away many years ago, before I got really into making cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

'If friends were flowers I'd pick you' - So sweet and slushy, would not send to any of my friends.

Also, cannot do Happy Christmas - it has to be Merry Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"You Make My Heart Puffy."

That one came in a Unity Kit of the Month. Maybe I missed it when the idea of a puffy heart entered the love lexicon, but IMHO I think it makes it sound like you're telling someone they've given you a medical condition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default This thread has me thinking.....

This thread is funny and true and has me thinking.... Since I'm unmounting all my wood mounts anyway. I think I will take my weird sentiment stamps and cut them into separate words. Maybe I'll use them more in combination with other sentiments or take the words like "bliss" and use them in a background with other words or in an art journal page. I saw a sentiment the other day that said " I'm not good with words". I thought that one was different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I think cutting up the words sounds like it could be fun! You could create your own sentiments and each word would be in a different font, which could look very cool.

(Or like a ransom note!)

Truthfully, I personally rarely even put a sentiment on the front of a card, and when I do I generate it on my computer, since I have fonts I've bought because I really like them. And I find it frustrating when I want to buy a set because I really like the images but don't need the sentiments. I recently bought a set because of the two floral images, and there were half a dozen useless (to me) sentiments that I had to buy as well. That's no one's fault but my own, of course, because no one forced me to buy the set.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 01-22-2016 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to find a 'get well soon' greeting with a 'please' or 'hope you'. Sometimes the font makes 'Get Well Soon' sound like a command!!!

I also don't like too mushy of an 'I Love You ....' sentiment. I also am not fond of too cutesy a sentiment. (Some of the 'play on words' sentiments are ones I would never use either.)

Sorry if I sound grumpy but I prefer straight forward sentiments. To me they sound more sincere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Detest punny sentiments! I know others love them, but when I see "Hoppy Birthday," I just want to croak!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My stamp collection has not reached a size where I feel I have too much of any one kind. I have 4 "Thank You" stamps that cover a range of sizes. Not one I'd consider giving up.

I don't find the "If friends were flowers I'd pick you" to be too mushy at all. I have one stamp that leans toward being too much. It is, "A friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart," but I can still see using it for someone who has been by my side during rough times.

Punny sentiments. Gag! A friend gave me a set that would only be good for a small child:
Hippo: "Hip-hippo-ray!" Skunk: "I stink your're sweet" Rocket: "You're a blast" Sheep: "Thank Ewe" (No, I do not count this among my "thank you" stamps!)

I do have a few questionable sentiments that I actually like, provided the recipient understood my sense of humor: "The best antiques are old friends" I have one SU set with sentiments that crack me up: "Did someone turn up the heat in here ... or is it just the candles on your cake?" "It's a good thing wrinkles don't hurt!" "your friendship is the most uplifting thing in my life without underwire" "we're such good friends because, surprisingly, you're not intimidated by my beauty."

Edited to add: I wholeheartedly agree about "HOPE YOU" Get well soon as I too find the basic "Get Well Soon" to be rather commanding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
"You Make My Heart Puffy."

That one came in a Unity Kit of the Month. Maybe I missed it when the idea of a puffy heart entered the love lexicon, but IMHO I think it makes it sound like you're telling someone they've given you a medical condition.
What??! Believe me that isn't a good sentiment. I am on medication twice a day for the very reason that my heart was 'puffy' and I do not have any inclination to relive the trip to a cardiac unit to stabilize it.

What were they thinking...?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I, too, don't EVER use Get Well Soon. Usually if a friend is a little sick they would get over it before I could make a card and mail it. If someone broke a leg, it would seem like an order! If someone has lengthy treatments and may never get well, that sentiment is insensitive. I have an older single stamp "I hope this note finds you feeling better." Can send it after a surgery or something.
On another note, I don't relate to mushy love stamps, many would have only 'one-card' use: Like 'You're my soul-mate' cards to your husband.
Winter Wishes...Seasons Greetings...Merry & Bright will never be stamped by me.
On the other hand, I do use "Yipee Skippy"....I have 6 grandkids who love my silly cards.

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD CREATE: "Just wanted you to know" with add ons: 'how proud I am of you.' 'how I treasure our friendship,' 'how special you are to me.' ETC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 11:53 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

You've had a baby! I think the recipient may already know that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 02:15 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BathBelleView Post
'If friends were flowers I'd pick you' - So sweet and slushy, would not send to any of my friends.

That's so funny, my MIL is totally the opposite. Our cards for her have to say Happy, or anything but "merry". A couple of her brothers had alcohol-related problems, and she has a mental association between merry and tipsy, so I do know where she's coming from. And I'm sure she gets plenty that say "merry" from people who don't know, and I'm sure she appreciates the cards still, but since DH knows her preference, he always makes that request.

I do like the punny ones, don't like the overly sentimental ones because I am a very reserved person. I do like encouraging and inspirational sentiments.

I bought the Unity set with a sweet little owl and "you decorate my life", that's one I can't imagine ever using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 05:42 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Think mixed media, collage, journaling. Stamps aren't only used on cards. I would totally use "Live your bliss" in an art journal.

I have more thank-you's, etc than I can count. But I really like having a selection in different sizes, fonts, orientation, etc so I can pick the one that best fits the card.

The one stamp that honestly I do wonder what they were thinking, is "I love you more".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 05:57 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Unity does really tend to be a bit odd in the sentiment department, as wonderful as their image stamps are in quality.

"Thank You For Still Liking Me"

???? Who would that go to?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 06:01 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm in the camp that actually likes the punny ones! I think that if they're paired with a "cute" stamp, then it seems much more appropriate than, say, a cute stamp paired with some fancy calligraphy style Thank You. That just looks odd to me.

I really really dislike the sentiments that are from some popular overused cliche of the moment. "Live well, laugh often, love much." "All because two people fell in love". "Always kiss me goodnight". "Dance like no one's watching." "Keep Calm and _____________." "LOL". It's as if the stamp creator was looking through some cheesy home decor catalog and gathered together a bunch of the signs that are supposed to be "wall art". I don't hang them in my house, and I don't put them on my cards, either. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 06:35 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

How about this from a Unity set...

all our knowledge has its origin in our perceptions

Maybe an art journal thing? Anyone want this stamp? I'll send it to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 06:36 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I never liked "Birthday Wishes". What does that mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 07:07 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I absolutely love sentiments! But I actually find that I have trouble using the funny ones at time which is strange because that's what I usually look for in a store bought card!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
How about this from a Unity set...

all our knowledge has its origin in our perceptions

Maybe an art journal thing? Anyone want this stamp? I'll send it to you.
Me! Me!
It would have been perfect on this 8.5x11 piece
Attached Thumbnails
Lets talk sentiments...-createcollage-001.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I'm in the camp that actually likes the punny ones! I think that if they're paired with a "cute" stamp, then it seems much more appropriate than, say, a cute stamp paired with some fancy calligraphy style Thank You. That just looks odd to me.
I tend to agree. Punny stamps have their place in my universe :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

[The one stamp that honestly I do wonder what they were thinking, is "I love you more".]

Marge, I like this one. I have 3, now teen, grandsons who live in another state. I send them all different cards at the same time in one big envelope, identified as to who gets which card. I sent them each "I love you more" at the same time, in case they compare cards.
I think the phrase is meant to be used when someone says I Love You, the recipient says I Love You More.

Dare to Dream....Imagine...Create...Inspire....Those could be perceived as a demand by a person who is not at all creative. My old-lady friends would not relate. I have never used those stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
[The one stamp that honestly I do wonder what they were thinking, is "I love you more".]

Marge, I like this one. I have 3, now teen, grandsons who live in another state. I send them all different cards at the same time in one big envelope, identified as to who gets which card. I sent them each "I love you more" at the same time, in case they compare cards.
I think the phrase is meant to be used when someone says I Love You, the recipient says I Love You More.

Dare to Dream....Imagine...Create...Inspire....Those could be perceived as a demand by a person who is not at all creative. My old-lady friends would not relate. I have never used those stamps.
I never have either. I loved the others that came along in the set but...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 08:30 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE:
Dare to Dream....Imagine...Create...Inspire....Those could be perceived as a demand by a person who is not at all creative. My old-lady friends would not relate. I have never used those stamps.[/QUOTE]

That's probably why I don't like houses with WORDS everywhere. It seems awfully shouty to me. ;) I like my houses to be a little more quiet and peaceful. I don't need signs bossing me around and telling me to EAT, or PRAY or CREATE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkey1969View Post
On a more serious note, I have avoided buy any sets that have contained "Happy Father's Day", a sentiment that I'll never need. :( My dad passed away many years ago, before I got really into making cards.
Another take on this: Although my sweet mother and father passed away many years ago, I do still make Mother's Day and Father's Day cards.

I send them to some of my friends and family each year who are mothers and fathers. Several of them called to say they are appreciated, and were the only cards they received in the mail! Turns out their children just call, come by, or send an email and they loved getting something in the mail!

Here is last year's Mother's Day card that I sent:
Attached Thumbnails
Lets talk sentiments...-mothers-day-2015-001.jpg  

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #35  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Unity does really tend to be a bit odd in the sentiment department, as wonderful as their image stamps are in quality.

"Thank You For Still Liking Me"

???? Who would that go to?
I think this would be great on an apology card. You know....when you mess up and you know it so it would say something like

I'm sorry......

Thank you for still liking me.

Other than that I can't think of any other way to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BathBelleView Post

I laugh- I am constantly looking for a good Happy Christmas stamp- I married a Brit, and I love to use Happy Christmas for the in-laws. Love using a Cheers stamp also.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
The one stamp that honestly I do wonder what they were thinking, is "I love you more".
I actually love that saying! It reminds me of my dad. :-)
Just the other day I met with family to celebrate my eldest son's birthday. I hugged my dad and said, "I love you." He replied, "I love you more."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

I love that there seems to be a stamp for everyone I imagine those we mentioned may not have a large following but enough to warrant its existence. To each his own I guess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #39  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
I think this would be great on an apology card. You know....when you mess up and you know it so it would say something like

I'm sorry......

Thank you for still liking me.

Other than that I can't think of any other way to use it.
I had someone who dumped a whole pizza "face" down onto my beautiful couch in my first house. They should have sent me a card that said that. Because I did still like her, but it was dicey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a hard time finding sentiments coming from more than one person. For exmple, we, our, from both of us, from all of us. Seems like everything is Me and I. Great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes