Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:31 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acetate for stamp storage

Hi there.
I presently store my stamps on those storage panels in a binder and I am starting to switch over to stamp pockets. I want to put them on a sheet of acetate in the stamp pocket but cannot find acetate anywhere.
Does anyone know where I can find the nice heavy stuff? I am in Ontario, Canada. I have tried Michaels and Staples with no luck. Thanks for any help. Cheers.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2016, 11:50 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please don't use Acetate with any cling foam stamps. Cause over time the Acetate will eat away the foam backing.

It's ok to use with Clear acrylic Stamps and Photoploymer stamps.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 03:00 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Many types of acetate are not archival friendly and will have a chemical reaction with photopolymer stamps. The stamps get very sticky, almost like they are melting, and often the stamps merge and get "welded" to the acetate meaning you can't put them on blocks once they're stuck together. Always use archival safe products for storing any type of stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 03:33 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

With the above information, what and where do I get the best product to store my stamps on. Using pockets for my stamps seems to be the best way to store my stamps. But, I do not want to ruin them in the process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 04:15 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say don't use acetate with any type of stamp- there are known issues with all of them. My best recommendation would be laminated sheets- that's what many people- myself included- use, with no ill effects. Mine- all types of stamps- have been on laminated sheets for pushing 15 years in some cases, and no problem.
You can pick up a basic laminator really cheaply, and packs of laminating pouches are cheap too- either from pound/dollar type stores, or online.
I tend to laminate a sheet of plain cheap cardstock in mine, I used to stamp all the images out, but found that a nuisance if I wanted to reorganise.
You could laminate whatever sheet size you want- I think the standard pouch is A4. If you want A5, just laminate at that size and trim off the excess.
This LINK, to another thread, gives you some other options.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 02-23-2016 at 04:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 04:43 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I have had my stamps on the storage panels for many years with no ill effect but I find that with them in binders... if I do not see them... I do not use them. I really like the stamp pocket idea as it is so easy just to flip through them all. I have been keeping the clear stamps on the stamped index acetate that they come on. Is this not safe to do? Why do they send them on these things if they are going to degrade the stamps?
I have just found this morning that I can cut those binder storage panels with my Fiskars guillotine cutter so I plan to cut them down for all my cling stamps and put them in the pockets. Should I really be taking all the clear stamps off the acetate. Some have been on there for many years with no problems. Opinions please.
I must say that I do like the idea of using laminated sheets as they are probably not as thick as these storage panels.... but I already have the storage panels so I do not want to waste them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

This quote here from the Chocolate Baroque Rubber Stamp company- they manufacture both clear and rubber stamps :
Stamps on self-cling cushion will stick to laminated card or smooth plastic. Do NOT store your stamps on acetate or OHP film as this can cause a reaction with the cushion and stop it working properly.
( On Clear Stamps):To avoid the natural tackiness picking up unwanted dust and fluff, always return to a protective polyester sheet when not in use. (Avoid storing on other plastics as they can cause a reaction with the polymer.)
This warning, From the Makers of EZ Mount, was posted back in 2008:The manufacturer of EZ mount (Sunday International) has just posted this warning to their website:
Please Note: It is not recommended that you store any of your EZMount Stamps on Acetate Sheets. Acetate is made with chemicals that will react with EZMount and any other cling cushion type product, making an almost permanent bond between it and the cling.

There are many back threads on here- if you do a Google search regarding clear stamps and acetate- they will show up. I've got an idea I remember on one of those threads that a stamp company said they expect the stamps to be taken off the sheet after purchase, but I can't be positive, or remember who it might have been.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Duralar seems to be the product of choice and archival friendly pouches like those from Avery Elle.

Stamp Storage Pockets I Avery Elle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

I appreciate all the info. I am REALLY not happy about this business as at least half of my stamp collection are clear stamps currently residing on their original acetate sheets.
When you move them over to laminated panels, how do you index your stamps?
I figure with the cling stamps since they are rubber it is pretty easy to see what the image is. I had some thought of stamping the image on the back side of the cardstock I have in the pockets. What a huge chore but would only have to do it once. It is much harder to see the clear stamps. What is your solutions please? Cheers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I stamp an index sheet on cardstock to place with my laminated sheet in the pouch. Yes, it's time consuming. But it's a pain trying to figure out the backwards sentiments!

I decide on a specific way that I put my stamps on each laminated card...and then I stamp an index in exactly the same way, so that the index is behind and the stamps pretty much line up with the index. The index faces forward. It makes it easy to return stamps to the right place.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Just a comment about the original sheets that stamps come on. Some companies use acetate. But not all.

In this thread:
Going Crazy with Clear Stamp Storage by Candida at Splitcoaststampers
There was a lot of discussion...but also a lot of writing to different companies, and reports from those companies...about what they place their stamps on. It's good info to have.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 04:11 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you so much to all of you for your great info. I have been currently cutting up the EZ mount storage panels to fit into the stamp pockets but when I have run out of them, which will not take too long, I will switch over the a laminated sheet. Thank you Diane for the idea of stamping an index sheet to sit in behind the laminated sheet. Brilliant idea. I appreciate all your ideas. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 05:17 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see references to "laminating." Are you sending a blank sheet of paper through your laminator and then using that for storing your stamps, or are you just using laminating sheets right out of the box?

Does anyone make a safe sheet of plastic/whatever that can be cut to fit into pouches like those from Avery Elle and Simon Says Stamp? I really don't want to bother with laminating a bunch of blank paper (if that's what's being done).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 05:44 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I am presently cutting down the EZ Mount storage panels and putting them into the Avery Elle stamp pockets. That is for my cling mounted stamps. When I run out of the panels which will be soon, I was thinking of getting the laminator and stamping the images on plain white cardstock and laminating that so that I have created an index sheet and can stick the stamps to it. We all seem to spend more time trying to organize our stamp collection and certainly protect our investment from degrading into a gooey mess than we actually do stamping and making thing. I do anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

By the way.... I have a large collection of Flourishes stamps. They are all still in their original packaging. After reading all the horror stories I panicked and went immediately to check on them. They have been stored in a cupboard so no exposure to heat or light. Thankfully, they are all fine. I did a random sampling and they all still peel off the sheets just fine. Some of my older clear stamps, even though they are stored on EZ Mount panels, they have yellowed, become very sticky and very gooey. I suppose they were the really early stamps and they did not have the better types of production that they do now. They still stamp but are disgusting to handle them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

TheOtherMeg- I tried just using the laminating sheets straight out of the box, and whilst it works, I honestly found them too flimsy. I swapped to laminating some cheap mid weight cardstock I had which I knew I'd never use for cards. Don't ask me why I bought it, lol. Seriously, look for a cheap quality cardstock, or a cardstock sale somewhere like Staples.
Tuppenceandbob, remember if you stamp onto your cardstock and then laminate it, you can not re-organise your stamps to other sheets without making up new carrier sheets.
You may never need/want to do that, but I did as I acquired more stamps, in a particular theme, so stopped doing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I also have been cutting down my 8.x5x10 EZmount sheets to fit in my Avery Elle pouches. Once I have run out of those I will then reassess if I want more EZmount panels or will switch to Duralar or some other product. I like how stiff the EZmount panels are inside the pouches which helps keep them upright in my storage container.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 10:51 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, silverwolf!

May I assume that any brand of laminating sheet works for this? I picked up a few cases at Sam's Club a while back when it was very reasonably priced. It'd be great if it's good enough (won't harm my stamps).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
Thanks, silverwolf!

May I assume that any brand of laminating sheet works for this? I picked up a few cases at Sam's Club a while back when it was very reasonably priced. It'd be great if it's good enough (won't harm my stamps).
If they're polyester, they're fine. If they're Royal Sovereign they're polyester, so they're fine. If they're another brand, check to see and/or ask the manufacturer...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 03:05 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I am using up all the EZ Mount for the stamp pockets because that is what I happen to have on hand and do not want to waste them. I do agree that they make the stamp pockets very sturdy and easier to store upright but I do find that the pockets seem very "full" and thick with the cling stamps in there. I just put all my cling Anna Griffin stamps in the pockets and I actually found it an issue to keep the top flap closed which I find annoying.
I will be purchasing a Laminator and I will purchase the Royal Sovereign sheets since it would appear they are safe. Question: Can you use any kind of sheets with any kind of machine or will I need to purchase a Royal Sovereign Laminator also? Thanks so much for the input. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 06:52 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

TheotherMeg, I have to admit when I started doing this, all the info about what was or was not, good for your stamps was not so easily available. I bought a load of packs of laminating sheets from our Pound store, and they seem to be fine, many years later. I'm also using ones from Staples, and had no issues there either, so I'm guessing most are polyester.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

tuppenceandbob, no, you can use any brand of laminating sheets with any brand of laminator. I got mine reduced to half price in a clearance at our Tesco supermarket, and it's a Dahle Lami-mate. I use Poundstore generic, Staples brand, Tesco brand in mine.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 02-25-2016 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 07:04 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks very much for the info shazsilverwolf about the laminating sheets. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

One last thought.... I have mostly used Avery Elle stamp pockets for storage but have also purchased some from My Favorite Things. Has anyone had a problem with them. They appear to be almost identical..... hopefully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2016, 10:11 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

subbing

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Would my Zyron laminator work for this? I have supplies on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuppenceandbobView Post
I am using up all the EZ Mount for the stamp pockets because that is what I happen to have on hand and do not want to waste them. I do agree that they make the stamp pockets very sturdy and easier to store upright but I do find that the pockets seem very "full" and thick with the cling stamps in there. I just put all my cling Anna Griffin stamps in the pockets and I actually found it an issue to keep the top flap closed which I find annoying.
You might try trimming your EZ Mount storage boards just a hair smaller. I found that helped the fit in my pouches (not the same but the same idea). Maybe make them 1/8 inch smaller on one side and on one end.
It's the same principle as the size of envelopes and the size of cards. If the card is thicker, you need to make it a hair smaller in order to have it fit well.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I will be purchasing a Laminator and I will purchase the Royal Sovereign sheets since it would appear they are safe. Question: Can you use any kind of sheets with any kind of machine or will I need to purchase a Royal Sovereign Laminator also? Thanks so much for the input. Cheers.

Any machine. You can get one fairly inexpensively online at Amazon and my local WalMart has one in the office section that is about $20.

I stick with the Royal Sovereign pouches because 1) I haven't specifically contacted other companies to find out the materials used, and 2) they are very reasonably priced when purchased either at Sams or on Amazon.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you so much Diane for the information. I have made enough bulky cards in my time so that should have already occurred to me.
I will purchase the laminator as soon as the EZ Mount runs out as I still have a couple of binders of stamps to switch over. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Acetate for stamp storage

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
Would my Zyron laminator work for this? I have supplies on hand.
Anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2016, 05:09 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I've been reorganizing my unmounted stamps to one system, and I have them on PVC sheets in plastic boxes. They don't seem to be reacting at all, and some have been on the sheets since July. On the other hand, cling stamps that I've stored in CD cases are leaving a cloudy silhouette in the case in just a few months.

Just my observations... and remember that not all clear sheets are made of acetate.

BTW - the sheets I am using come from MyBinding.com - Binding and Laminating Solutions | MyBinding.com - they are covers for comb-bound books. I'm using the 20mil weight, and it's very sturdy. I'm also lining my CD cases with a 1/4 sheet.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2016, 05:13 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Out of pure curiosity - is there a site that has photos of acetate/cling foam reaction damage?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #33  
Glitter Guru

If a clear sheet says "acid free and archival," will it be safe to stick clear and clingfoam-mounted stamps on it for storage?

I purchased some 9�12 Duralar on Amazon. Since then, I get "recommendations" for similar products. One is 12�12 clear sheets from Grafix that are a bit cheaper per square inch. I prefer to keep 12�12 paper/material at hand so I have more options when creating, so this Grafix stuff would be my first choice if it's safe for the stamps.

Two questions/reviews mention storing stamps on this, but I'd prefer to hear from the pros here. Thanks!

On a related note, I also purchased a huge roll of magnet sheet, also on Amazon. It was so much cheaper than buying precut squares or even the packs from Oriental Trading Co (currently out of stock) and cutting my own. The roll arrived today and dies stick to the magnet quite well. It's going to be perfect, and there will be less waste when using a small piece to hold 2-3 dies in the storage envelope because I can cut just the size I need.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FULC6OC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 03-03-2016 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

I just read that the Scotch 3M laminating sheets are polyester. I'm going to Walmart today to get the $20 machine and 50 8 1/2 x 11" for $8. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=TheOtherMeg;21189674]If a clear sheet says "acid free and archival," will it be safe to stick clear and clingfoam-mounted stamps on it for storage?

I purchased some 9�12 Duralar on Amazon. Since then, I get "recommendations" for similar products. One is 12�12 clear sheets from Grafix that are a bit cheaper per square inch. I prefer to keep 12�12 paper/material at hand so I have more options when creating, so this Grafix stuff would be my first choice if it's safe for the stamps.

Two questions/reviews mention storing stamps on this, but I'd prefer to hear from the pros here. Thanks!

QUOTE]

The Duralar that I ordered was from the Grafix company. To my understanding Duralar is the name of the product and Grafix is the name of the company that makes or sells it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
I also have been cutting down my 8.x5x10 EZmount sheets to fit in my Avery Elle pouches. Once I have run out of those I will then reassess if I want more EZmount panels or will switch to Duralar or some other product. I like how stiff the EZmount panels are inside the pouches which helps keep them upright in my storage container.
I absolutely love this idea. I have a bunch of those EZmount panels. Never occurred to me to cut them up for use in the envelopes. I think I will do this too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

I use the Avery Elle pockets usually with laminated sheets. I will have to switch some after I've read this such as the one in the photo to a laminated sheet. Anywho, I saw someone on YouTube use velcro and I copied her idea. I took a photo of one of my envelopes to show you how I put them on. I ordered a bulk pack of small velcro circles and put them on the flap. It is a little bit of a hassle especially the first time you switch everything over to the pouches but then you don't need to worry about anything falling out. I tried to link to what I bought but I can't until I've posted more times so here is the description from Amazon:

1000 Pieces Adhesive (500 Pair Sets) 0.39in Diameter Sticky Back Coins Hook & Loop Self Adhesive Dots Tapes Magic Sticky Dots

If you want the link you could ask and maybe I can post links by then! The photo didn't work out either. Sorry! Again...ask!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

If acetate so harmful to stamps, why do companies continue to ship stamps on acetate?
Most of mine on Duralar. Some still on original acetate.....lazy. No issues on those so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
If acetate so harmful to stamps, why do companies continue to ship stamps on acetate?
Most of mine on Duralar. Some still on original acetate.....lazy. No issues on those so far.

It's quite possible that the material is not actually acetate, but something else that is safe for stamps. Laminating pouches are clear, for example, but they are safe to use with stamps, as they are polyester, not acetate. If you aren't seeing any damage to the ones on the original sheets and/or if they're not fusing to the sheet, the sheets probably aren't acetate.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2019, 12:54 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Firstly like many of you i had no idea that some companies would not provide safe long term storage for stamps that are quite expensive!'
Majority of my stamps are the clear photo polymer ones.
I am also looking to store my stamps/dies better than they currnetly are i have a question though
People are laminating a sheet of carboard to put inside the stamp pockets does anyone simply use the sheet that they come with and a piece of cardstock NOT laminated? its just that majority of mine have two sheets of the plastic stuff (ive forgotten all the acronyms so i thought i would simply take out of the plastic that rips after 5 mins often lol and then i have been putting them into zip lock bags and then into just an ordinary binder with sleeves the ones where you can add to them sheet protectors. are these safe for the stamps? given that the stamps are between the two sheets of plastic stuff that they came with they dont touch the sheet protectors itself anyways. Thats if the plastic stuff is safe. I have a ton of lawn fawn which isnt mentioned on any posts if they are safe or not does anyone know?

But some sets are two big like MFT and my stampendous cling stamps so what i thought i would do is actually use stamp pockets i currently have some avery elle some SSS (i am not from US so finding stuff can sometimes be hard!)

So my idea was going to be to use the cardboard that comes with the package so i have the name and company of the set (i have a blog and hoping soemday to have a youtube channel too) and i was going to stick that to some stiff cardboard sized for the stamp pocket and then slip the stamps contained in the plastic stuff they come in and just stick it into the pocket on one side and attach a magnet sheet to the other side (or strips i havent quite figured it out) and then put the dies in the same pocket that match the stamps, i am physically disabled so i find hand cutting things out difficult. then ive got a label maker not the same as jennifer mcguire but similar and it does two lines like hers does so i can make a label for the packets i tend to know what company made what stamp set (i love lawn fawn!) and there are a few other companies i love heaps also so i wanted to make tags for everything so when i write a blog post i can know what company the sets are from!

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Likes