Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best printer for heavy cardstock?

I've been having trouble with both my printers, so now I'm wanting to buy a new one that will have no problem printing on heavy cardstock. Any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Mine is an older printer and spit out cardstock without printing until I started printing one sheet at a time. I would ask at the place where you buy yours. Maybe someone will demo it for you first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtueView Post
I've been having trouble with both my printers, so now I'm wanting to buy a new one that will have no problem printing on heavy cardstock. Any suggestions?
I've been using Epson printers for decades and they all handle heayweight cardstock beautifully, even when I use the plain paper setting. For cards and text I would recommend the Workforce line because they do not saturate the paper as much as the Epson photo stylus line does. I have 2 Epson printers that I use right now and both are wide format so that I can print pages up to 13x19 inches. I use my Epson Stylus photo printer if I need professional quality glossy posters and I paid $400 for it. I love it but it is ink greedy (8 different cartridge colors) so I bought an Epson Workforce 1100 which requires fewer cartrides (only 4) and I use it to print on cardstock as heavy as the SU cardstock and watercolor paper. If you don't need a wide carriage I would recommmend the Epson Workforce regular width which usually costs under $100 and as all Epsons, it does great with heavy cardstock, vellum, glossy, everything really. What I like about Epson is that I can use re-manufactured cartridges that I buy online at half the cost of the original Epson cartridges. Good luck with whatever you finally buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Epson Stylus CX9400 Fax is one of the printers I'm having trouble with. I've tried loading one sheet and it still won't work. :mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A printer that bends the cardstock as little as possible is your best bet. Usually they only bend the cardstock 90 degrees at most. Ones that roll the cardstock back the way it comes out (180 degrees) don't like heavy cardstock. I have a Brother laser printer that has a separate feed for when you use heavy cardstock and I have to feed it in one sheet at a time. Only thing is, it's just black.
It's a Brother 2270DW series

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtueView Post
Epson Stylus CX9400 Fax is one of the printers I'm having trouble with. I've tried loading one sheet and it still won't work. :mad:
I have found that the All-in-one printers of any brand and front fed printers do not take to cardstock very well which is why I only use the standalone inkjet epsons. My suggestion is to take a few pieces of the heavy paper to a store where the printers are on display and ask the salesperson to give you a demonstration using your paper. I hope you find a solution because I know how frustrating it can be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a couple Canons and like them. I currently have a Canon MP560 and it takes very heavy cardstock. I use up to 200# in the rear feed and I've never had a problem with it not accepting the cardstock or jamming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a Canon printer, MX360 series. It is an all-in-one, and I got it at Walmart for a very reasonable price - I think about $60 or $70.

It has a rear feed paper tray outside the printer and it handles cardstock very well because the paper just feeds through nearly flat and comes out in front.

I only put one sheet in at a time when I print on cardstock, because I want to avoid any jams. I would rather go to a little extra time and trouble than have a mess to deal with.

I've been very pleased with my Canon. It prints color and black and white beautifully.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R1900 wide format printer and I love it!!! Had it for 4 years now. It prints beautiful but cartridges can be pricy, it uses eight. I've used all type of paper including heavy card stock. In my experience I can only load one sheet at a time otherwise it'll jam.

Lucia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have an Epson workforce and it does NOT like even slightly heavier cardstock, on any paper setting. I can't wait till the the ink runs out so I can throw it out! I am looking for a replacement as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2013, 03:23 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a LexMark and have printed on SU Kraft. I adjusted my paper settings to Heavy/Cardstock, and I even put the sheets in the paper tray.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone used the Brother Laser 9330CDW? My daughter has that model and is very happy with it. However, she doesn't print on cardstock. I am read to use my Brother Inkjet as a boat anchor. I like the fact that they use individual cartridges, but, it will not feed cardstock at all now. I am also not thrilled the the colour of the printouts that I get. TIA

Dianne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Good question. I will keep an eye on this thread!

My Q is about the inks. (and therefore possibly the printer itself)

If you want to be able to color with either watercolor or copics....does what ink you use matter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dianne, I don't have any experience with the Brother 9330CDW printer. I just read that it has a manual feed, which is how I use cardstock in my Brother printer. I would suggest asking your daughter to run a few pieces of cardstock through hers so that you can see what its capable of. If she doesn't live nearby, it might be worth your while to mail a few sheets to her and ask that she mail them back so you can see if the finished product works to your satisfaction.

I just replaced my Canon Pixma MP-470, an inkjet printer that I loved, except for the cost of replacement ink. Using it for large print volume turned out to be an anchor on my budget! My new printer is a Brother HL L2380DW (b&w laser with small flatbed scanner).

My Brother does a nice job with the Georgia Pacific Premium 110# cardstock (my go to for coloring) and the heavier Recollections 110# cardstock from Michaels. I print all cardstock using the manual feed, one sheet at a time. I just need to remember to open the back window (to allow the paper to come straight through instead of curling out the front) and close it again when I'm finished. Unlike the model you are looking at, my Brother printer is not made for legal-size paper. It's limited to scanning and printing letter size.

Wavejumper: I use Copics, but I don't watercolor images.

My Canon inkjet worked great with my Copics, even though the Canon ink is considered "pigment" ink. Perhaps the heating process in the printer made it safe to use with my Copic markers. I have read that some inkjet prints smear when colored with Copic markers, so I guess I was lucky.

As for my Brother laser printer, it also turns out prints that are safely colored with Copics. I never noticed any smearing or staining of the marker tips when coloring on laser images printed on the GP cardstock. However, I just printed on a piece of Canson XL watercolor paper and did get some toner lift onto the Copic tip when coloring over it with a light shade. I heat set the image and then went over it again without a problem.

Curious about your watercolor question, I decided to give it a go.
I pulled out a sentiment (don't have any images) I'd printed with my Canon inkjet printer and went over it with a SU ink/water mix. No smears. I also used the watercolor on the laser image I printed on the Canon watercolor paper. Again, no smearing.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Great suggestion, Melissa. She is actually coming for a visit this weekend so will send some home with her. I will also give her some of my digital images to print and see what the colour quality is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Thanks Melissa! I too had heard that some inks smear. I always knew at some point I would have to google/YT this but as you all are talking printers, I decided to carpe diem and ask

Unfortunately where our only printer is, I cant back feed. But was thinking if I get a 2nd, dedicated printer for myself....it is good to know I need to have that ability re space. I have never tried cardstock in the one I have. I'd get totally killed if I messed it up since DH often works from home and needs it. Wireless is such a cool thing as my computer wont be in the same room as the printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

Well, I am going over to look at a Canon Pixma ip8720 tomorrow. I spent a lot of time trying to decide about the laser that I mentioned earlier. In the end, it just wouldn't fit in the space I had available so had to scrap that idea. So, I went on line and did more research. There is a review by Red River Paper of various printers they recommend for printing on cardstock. Their choices were Canon Pixma models. One they recommended is no longer available so they were suggesting this as a substitute. It is available in one of our best camera shops here and they also recommend it highly. In the end, they all agree that you need a rear feed for anything other than copy paper. This one is also on sale at this shop so that is a bonus. Wish me luck! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

My printer does require a rather sharp bend for the card stock, so the heavier C/S doesn't work for me in this case.

However, if you're close enough to a Staples, Office Max/Depot, etc, the price isn't bad for tiny jobs. I know it's a Pain in the Tush to drive somewhere for the print job ... but saving up a few items on a thumb drive could make it worth getting it printed on your preferred c/s weight.

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 02-05-2016 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Dianne, I liked my Canon Pixma very much -- EXCEPT when it came time to replace the ink cartridges. Inkjet cartridges are costly and don't last very long, which is the reason I went with a b&w laser. Also, my Pixma used color ink even when I printed only b&w, not sure why.

In the end, it comes down to what will fit, how you'll use it, and what you can afford up front and over time.

My older Canon Pixma MP-470 had an angled feed that folded out of the back of the machine, feeding the paper in through the rear and out through the front. I'm not sure if they newer models are the same or not. If you don't want a back feed, you might take a look at the printer in person before you buy.

My Brother laser has a drawer on the bottom. Copy paper is stored inside the printer and comes out the front. The only time I use the back of my machine is when I'm printing on cardstock. It's fed through the front,one sheet at a time, and comes straight through to a slot in the back -- provided the back slot is open. Otherwise, it flips through the front exit and comes out curled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Melissa, I looked very carefully at a Brother colour laser but the footprint was just too big for my space. This model has a separate black ink for black printing. I know inkjet cartridges are costly, but then that is what I am used to. I just want to get a good result when I am printing for my cards. The chap at the camera shop dad this is a good printer for scrap bookers at a decent price point. He also mentioned ICC profiles of the various papers which is something I had never heard of. Lots to learn! ��.

Dianne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

Please excuse the typos. The spellchecker on the iPad speaks a different language some days. ��.

Dianne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I don't know if the Canon Pixma ink is different from other inkjet printers or not. But I did get very good results the few times I printed photographs on my Pixma. Again, cost was a problem for me. I find it cheaper to order my prints online through Walgreens.

But if you need color and you don't mind the cost of the cartridges, I think you'll be happy with a Canon Pixma.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2016, 04:00 AM   #23  
Inking Addict

I hope so! LOL I will set it up today and test it out.

Dianne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Smile printing cardstock

Well this thread is 3 + years old so I wanted to update my findings .

I have an epson artisan 730 inkjet printer ( 2+ years old ) . I bought it mainly to print dvd faces.

While it doesn't have a rear feed . I have easily printed cardstock thru the front .

Yes it does do A 180 degree roll in the printer. The trick is to BUY 65 lb stock and not the real heavy 110 lb stuff. Cardstock I use is for cut and assemble buildings.

I explored buying a new printer and there are some new multi use ones still with read slots or rear feeders, I am looking at a Kodak ( made by Funai ) due to ink costs 50% of all other makers. Its around $ 70 at amazon / walmart and comes with TWO sets of ink cartridges - good for about 600 sheets.

Good luck to all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Epson WorkForce Pro WF-4630

I have an Epson WorkForce Pro WF-4630, and I've never had a problem with it handling cardstock (including SU). It has a rear feed, and also a setting for cardstock. I've had it a few years and recommend it highly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

Thanks for reconfirming what I decided to buy. My useless Brother is now in my husband's stained glass studio where he can print patterns on regular copy paper without coming up to my space and bothering me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had HPs for years. I bought my current one so I could print on heavy cardstock, putting it through the back so it doesn't have to curve like my old HP 3-in-1. I like that it scans and can copy, too.
I have a Canon Pixma at work. It DEMANDS that I have a large black cartridge along with small black, yellow, blue, magenta At All Times. I ONLY print in black at work, using the setting for 'no color'. Ink is expensive and I would never buy one for my home.
My HP is from Wal Mart for about $39. They had the same model in wireless for $5 more. I don't need that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I have had HPs for years. I bought my current one so I could print on heavy cardstock, putting it through the back so it doesn't have to curve like my old HP 3-in-1. I like that it scans and can copy, too.
I have a Canon Pixma at work. It DEMANDS that I have a large black cartridge along with small black, yellow, blue, magenta At All Times. I ONLY print in black at work, using the setting for 'no color'. Ink is expensive and I would never buy one for my home.
My HP is from Wal Mart for about $39. They had the same model in wireless for $5 more. I don't need that.
In have that HP wireless printer that you referred to and was stunned when I was able to print on 140# Strathmore watercolor paper (cut tp 8 1/2 x 11 to fit in printer)! This watercolor paper is HEAVY and stiff, if you are not familiar with it. The printer has a back feed and paper goes through the printer without having to be rolled around a wheel inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Since this thread is a bit old, I was looking for updated info including that on the
Epson Artisan 1430....

I need something that will print on heavy card stock (#110)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I have the Epson Artisan 810. Does a fabulous job on photos. I could not get it to print on cardstock. Printer kept saying.....wrong size etc. I trimmed the cardstock slightly and it accepted print.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

The only Artisan currently available is the 1430.

Any updates on the Cannons?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2016, 06:37 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A few months ago we purchased a Canon Pixma MX922, I absolutely LOVE it!! It prints on 110# cardstock beautifully! We primarily got it to print our sons wedding invites and I am very happy with it! HTH

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My epson artisan 1400 has worked great with thick card stock for me. I've put 110 lb from Michaels, Stampin Up and other brands through it.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I have a Brother printer and it works great for heavy cardstock. Although it can't be slick cardstock. Well it probably could if I used the photo tray but I almost never do that. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #35  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemurView Post
A printer that bends the cardstock as little as possible is your best bet. Usually they only bend the cardstock 90 degrees at most. Ones that roll the cardstock back the way it comes out (180 degrees) don't like heavy cardstock. I have a Brother laser printer that has a separate feed for when you use heavy cardstock and I have to feed it in one sheet at a time. Only thing is, it's just black.
It's a Brother 2270DW series
Ditto, but the advantage of the Brother laser is being able to FOIL (my new obsession!), which is why DH bought it for me.

WE have an HP all in one that I use for scanning and color printing, and it handles anything I put into the tray, never had a problem. HP Office Jet Pro 8600.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Here is what I would do, and as I did. Take your heavy card stock with you to shop and ask them to demo the machine with your cs. Then you can satisfy yourself that it will accept the paper.i am not going to recommend a brand as I have used two different brands and use 110 # crd stock not Michael's by the way.lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
Here is what I would do, and as I did. Take your heavy card stock with you to shop and ask them to demo the machine with your cs. Then you can satisfy yourself that it will accept the paper.i am not going to recommend a brand as I have used two different brands and use 110 # crd stock not Michael's by the way.lol
I wish it was this simple. Our local Staples is less the cooperative with this. In most cases, they don't even have the printers plugged in. Those that are plugged in are out of ink and they will NOT refill the ink. I was told they are told to wait until the printer has been phased out and then get rid of it.

It's extremely frustrating. But, that is why I rely on everyone's feedback so much.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

I spent many days researching printers. (I was looking for a color laser.) I used the conversion chart below and compared to several (probably 50 different printers) specs looking for one that could handle 110# cover weight cardstock. I also wanted a straight through paper path so the cardstock didn't curl. Most manufacturers have their specs online. You have to dig through to find the specs for the paper feed. Since you don't know if they mean cover vs index weight, I used the gms spec. Almost all converted to grams (that's where the chart comes in handy).

Convert GSM to Pounds | Coastal Printing

I also went to Best Buy and tried several printers. The tech was very patient with me and had to unjam several printers. None of which could handle SU or HL cardstock. Even the GP cardstock did not do well.

I would suggest taking a USB fob with you that has a sample of the types of images/files you want to print. The tech didn't have anything to copy or print that was a good comparison for what I wanted to do with it. I would also label the cardstock after it comes out of the printer so you can review at home.

Another tip, Staples has a money back guarantee; 15 days if you don't like it for any reason you can return it. They also have a price match policy. I used Adorama Camera as my price match because they have a storefront. You can also price match Amazon. Check out the Staples website for more details. I ended up saving 50% off Staples price and I had the option to return with no questions asked.

Good luck!

Last edited by marymoilanen; 08-10-2016 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: stupid spell check
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymoilanenView Post
I spent many days researching printers. (I was looking for a color laser.) I used the conversion chart below and compared to several (probably 50 different printers) specs looking for one that could handle 110# cover weight cardstock. I also wanted a straight through paper path so the cardstock didn't curl. Most manufacturers have their specs online. You have to dig through to find the specs for the paper feed. Since you don't know if they mean cover vs index weight, I used the gms spec. Almost all converted to grams (that's where the chart comes in handy).

Convert GSM to Pounds | Coastal Printing

I also went to Best Buy and tried several printers. The tech was very patient with me and had to unjam several printers. None of which could handle SU or HL cardstock. Even the GP cardstock did not do well.

I would suggest taking a USB fob with you that has a sample of the types of images/files you want to print. The tech didn't have anything to copy or print that was a good comparison for what I wanted to do with it. I would also label the cardstock after it comes out of the printer so you can review at home.

Another tip, Staples has a money back guarantee; 15 days if you don't like it for any reason you can return it. They also have a price match policy. I used Adorama Camera as my price match because they have a storefront. You can also price match Amazon. Check out the Staples website for more details. I ended up saving 50% off Staples price and I had the option to return with no questions asked.

Good luck!
All good advice. TY. I have been hitting the manufactorers websites as well.
What was your final decision for a printer? I'm not sure I'm going back to laser again, but in case I do, I would love to hear what you ended up with.

Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Ended up with an Oki Data MC362W. It handles SU, HL card stock beautifully; foiling turns out great. Does not curl my card stock or leave streaks. It scans directly to a directory on my laptop without being connected via cables. I love it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula AnneView Post
All good advice. TY. I have been hitting the manufactorers websites as well.
What was your final decision for a printer? I'm not sure I'm going back to laser again, but in case I do, I would love to hear what you ended up with.

Paula
Reply With Quote Likes