Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts
Default Anna Griffin die troubles

So I jumped on the Anna Griffin band wagon from HSN last week and got my first set of dies. Now the problem begins.....I have both a Cuttlebug and a Big Kick. I followed the sandwich for the dies exactly for each machine. The problem? Her dies don't want to go through my machines smoothly. The Cuttlebug is so darn tight I'm afraid I'm going to break it. It did cut (though I whinced as I turned) but did not emboss. Then with the Big Kick the sandwich was so thick it would not go through at all so I switched from the Anna Griffin green emboss pad to the Cuttlebug tan emboss pad. It barely went through, so very very tight and also did not emboss. If I remove the emboss pad it doesn't cut at all in either machine. I tried switching plates around in the Cuttlebug (A + 2 B's or A + 1 B and 1 C) Not helpful. On Big Kick I tried removing shim 1 or shim 2 still problems. Has anyone else experienced this? I have these dies on Auto Ship and freaking out that I can't get them to work. Oh by the way the Big Kick actually curved the Anna die it was so tight.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
DancesWithHooves (03-26-2024)
Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had trouble with the one and only AG die I have. Bought a few years back. It would cut fine and not emboss completely. And you cannot get it out with out tearing it. I love the designs but I am hesitant to buy more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a video with Anna showing how to use her cut and emboss dies in the Cuttlebug:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had trouble with Anna's dies in my Big Shot, which is the same as your Big Kick. The card stock you're cutting shouldn't be too heavy or it will function like a shim. In my machine, Anna's green embossing mat is too thick, and I use a thin silicone embossing mat like this one I got from Sizzix a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is it the die doesn't cut thru the silicone? I've yet to be brave enough to put the silicone mat on top of the die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Louisa May...Do you have to use an impressions pad? I have the sizzix silicone rubber pad but not the impressions pad. Do I need to buy one?

Buggainok Thanks for the video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just got my order of her dies from HSN too! I have a lot of her dies I need to get busy and use. They are so pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Last year I bought a set of Anna Griffin cut & emboss dies from HSN, and I had to send them back. I tried everything with my Big Kick, and my mother tried everything with her Cuttlebug, but they just wouldn't cut on either machine. I emailed her for help, but all I received were the directions that she demonstrated on HSN (which didn't work).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Last year I bought a set of Anna Griffin cut & emboss dies from HSN, and I had to send them back. I tried everything with my Big Kick, and my mother tried everything with her Cuttlebug, but they just wouldn't cut on either machine. I emailed her for help, but all I received were the directions that she demonstrated on HSN (which didn't work).
Thats all I got to and her video doesnt help. I was beginning to think I was the only one with an issue. Wonder why they won't work? For $64 they should glide through!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
Louisa May...Do you have to use an impressions pad? I have the sizzix silicone rubber pad but not the impressions pad. Do I need to buy one?

Buggainok Thanks for the video.
Hobbysue,
I don't use the impressions pad. I only use the thin, silicone pad and the two regular plates on the platform. My plates are mucho warped so I often turn them around, and the bump on the plate can put extra pressure on the sandwich. But I don't have to do that; I'm just on a mission to flatten my plates. If the thin silicone pad doesn't work alone, you might try it with a paper shim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not been impressed with her products that I have purchased on HSN, and I've tried several things. I could never get her dies to cut either on my Cuttlebug or big shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2016, 05:32 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Lace EFs and dies and they've gone through my Cuttlebug well. I did have one section of a flourish that didn't seem to be cutting well last weekend, but it's also true that my plates are pretty warped. So sorry that these aren't working for you--it must be so frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

No one has mentioned using the Sizzix metal base plate for intricate dies. I couldn't cut through SU cardstock with intricate dies until I got that.
I can't believer her video has a green pad in the sandwich with the first cut! I thought pads were only for embossing after the cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 03:13 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Harvestmoon, I bought one of the Precision Base Plates, and I've used it once or twice. You're right. It does work for those intricate dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
No one has mentioned using the Sizzix metal base plate for intricate dies. I couldn't cut through SU cardstock with intricate dies until I got that.
I can't believer her video has a green pad in the sandwich with the first cut! I thought pads were only for embossing after the cut.
I just finished watching a series of You Tube videos from this lady who showed how she got the dies to work. I haven't tried it yet but I will be trying today. You can see her video here: I also have a metal shim but haven't tried it. I agree I thought the green pad was for embossing. Thanks for helping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My AG die will cut (after using a metal shim type plate). Now the paper it is hard to remove from the die. It is very delicate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
My AG die will cut (after using a metal shim type plate). Now the paper it is hard to remove from the die. It is very delicate.
Why must things be so difficult????? Wouldn't it be great if things work just like they show you they work?? Guess thats asking too too much! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Waxed paper between die and cardstock really helps die to come out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Using Anna Griffin Dies in Cuttlebug and Sizzix BigShot

I recently purchased the Anna Griffin Cuttlebug on Anna's recent HSN show along with a set of her dies. I usually die cut with Spellbinder dies so using Anna's dies is new to me. When I got the machine I used it to try to cut a spellbinder's Nestabilities die and it didn't work well at all. It was a rectangle shape die and the ends warped and didn't cut, no matter how many times I passed it thru. I returned the machine and I'm considering getting a Sizzix BigShot machine instead. I know my Spellbinders dies will work in that machine, but what about Anna Griffin Dies? Can anyone tell me if they work in the BigShot machine? Has anyone else had issues with the Cuttlebug die cutting? Before I buy a BigShot I'd like to hear some recommendations. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I use my Gemini Jr (Crafters Companion) and all dies from all companies cut perfectly. If I have a problem getting the cardstock out of the die, I put used dryer sheet papers against the die, then the cardstock... nothing sticks and the dryer sheet peels right off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

I just got the Anna Griffin Empress die cutting machine from HSN. Her dies cut great in it. I also tried it with a Crafter’s companion die, Lawn Fawn, and MFT. All the dies cut great. Her dies also emboss really well in it. Did anyone else buy the new machine ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2018, 01:35 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've not got any of Anna's dies, but was die cutting some snowflakes from various brands over the weekend. What I expected to take an hour or so- I was cutting a lot- ended up taking over a day, due to needing to shim/find the 'sweet spot' on the platform, poking out all the bits, recutting, making multiple passes- you get the idea.

I have some lovely ones by Sue Wilson, and they were the worst for cutting. Yet some cheaper ones I picked up from a local store cut easily. Go figure.

I do know all machines will have different pressure, even within the brand, so what works in one persons machine will not work in someone elses.
But I agree, it's frustrating to say the least.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2018, 02:48 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

The first set of AG dies that I bought from HSN wouldn't cut at all, so I returned them. The second (different) set cuts fine. Some of her dies appear to be defective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I have a large collection of Anna Griffin dies, and they all work well in my Big Shot. I have a Cuttlebug as back-up but haven't used it. I sometimes use the Precision Base Plate with these dies, but not always. I put the dies through the Big Shot two or three times and get perfect cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapping OneView Post
I just got the Anna Griffin Empress die cutting machine from HSN. Her dies cut great in it. I also tried it with a Crafter’s companion die, Lawn Fawn, and MFT. All the dies cut great. Her dies also emboss really well in it. Did anyone else buy the new machine ?

I just got my AG Empress and have been experiencing some difficulty in using my wafer thin dies. Did you discover the best sandwich for using those dies and does the paper weight make a difference?

I love how quiet it is and does quite well with embossing folders...even other 3D ones!

I was hoping to replace my Vagabond with this but so far it's not looking like this is possible. LOL

I live in Canada and sending it back is not an option!! So I just need to make it work.

I can use all the help I can get!!!

Joanne in Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2021, 05:01 PM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

[QUOTE=BelleJo2;21872427]I just got my AG Empress and have been experiencing some difficulty in using my wafer thin dies. Did you discover the best sandwich for using those dies and does the paper weight make a difference?

I just received my Anna Griffin Empress and, for the first time, am experiencing the exact same issues with my wafer thin dies, such as the layering dies by Birch Press and the String Art die from the same company.

I have no idea what to do in this case as the shim is supposed to only be used for making embossed images even more pronounced.

I keep trying to find answers on the internet, on her website, etc. but cannot find anything at all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2021, 05:53 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

First let me state that I do not have the Empress but instead the Crafters Companion Gemini which I love. But I do have Anna dies as well as other intricate dies. Some work in normal sandwich some don't. Its always a playing game. My first go to try is to turn the sandwich upside down and re-enter it into the machine. I know it is not the recommended way they tell you to do it but sometimes it works for me. If that doesn't work, I look at where it is not cutting and then add a scrap piece of cardstock in that area. To be perfecly honest I have started using self healing mats in my sandwich. For my Gemini its a base plate, magnetic sheet, die cut side up, cardstock, self healing mat(mine is thin) and top acrylic plate. Then I run it through. The machine cuts it beautifully, but thats my machine. It seems all machines are a bit different and we have to play with each one. I would try turning the sandwich upside down first and if that doesn't work try the extra cardstock. Sorry there is such a learning curve to some of our machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2021, 11:53 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Jennifer McGuire discusses (and recommends) the Empress in her video entitled Best Die-cutting machines 2021. It's the final one she demonstrates, so you'll find it toward the last third of the video. In summary, she just uses the sandwich recommended in the instructions, but runs the whole thing through 2 or 3 times if the die isn't cutting well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2021, 07:16 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a mini empress, andI find I use the metal shim in every cut (layer below the magnetic one). You may have to send through 2-3 times. You also need to shift the dies around, the magnetic sheet will eventually stretch and wear in certain spots which affecrs the cutting in those spots. Yours is new, so that should not be an issue yet. You could also try a paper shim. Hope you figure it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2024, 10:52 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Old thread, but if anyone is still interested:

AG dies are thicker than other dies on the market, which is why it is difficult to get them to go through other machines.

And because other dies are thinner, you have to add shims to get them to cut in the Empress.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by uncbballfan:
ChrisO (03-24-2024), DancesWithHooves (03-26-2024), ozarkstamper (03-30-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 04:56 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Crafting life would be so much easier if all manufacturers played well together! It IS very frustrating to have dies and embossing folders that only work with certain brands!
After starting with a cuttlebug, I have used a spellbinders die cutting machine for many years. I use the recommended sandwich but I also cut cardboard shims from cereal boxes, shipping boxes, shoe boxes (all different thicknesses) to use to find the "sweet spot" for both embossing and/or cutting... and I do have several AG dies! Its crazy to have to purchase additional cutting machines or only certain manufacturers dies that work with whatever cutting machine you have..not only are they pricey but storage is also an issue!
Similar to foiling dies that only work with certain machines! UGH!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by psmiller:
LizBeth1976 (04-02-2024), OneDevotedDame (04-02-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 09:38 AM   #32  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Thank you, Linda E! Your explanation helped me understand why I need to use the metal shim with most cuts on my mini Empress. I do love my mini Empress machine! Sometimes I wish I had splurged for the full size, but instead, I’ll probably just sell what won’t fit my mini. Holding off for Black Friday 2024 specials to make that decision.
Reply With Quote Likes