Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2016, 11:28 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did you reach a point in supply collecting where you thought I have enough?

I've been stamping and collecting supplies( more collecting than card making to be honest) for about a year now. Each month I vow to not buy anymore and then a new product comes out or I watch a new video showcasing a product or technique that I am interested in. I had a birthday in Jan and spent all of my gift money on supplies as I did for Christmas . I just bought my last tool, the Minc, have a good supply of paper, ink , and stamps, and I think I'm done for a long while. I looked at the latest card kits that have come out and none tempt me. Even the newest releases by the stamp companies kind of look the same to me as other things I have. I mean how many flower stamps do I need or birthday stamps? So, did you reach a point where enough was enough? Were you able to stick with not buying anymore? The thing about it is I really enjoyed the supply collecting and haven't spent more than I can budget,but i think I'm saturated now!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Never... and I've been at this for 20 years.

However, I need to clarify: I do more "supply using" than I do "supply collecting".
Plus, after I have used things for a while, stamps especially, I get tired of them and sell them to make room for new ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I reached that point a long time ago. You know the point that I have enough, no more is needed, But I need some shiny red paper and oh look at the Scan N Cut. I have always said I have paper crafting ADHD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I hit that point this year and so my New Years Resolution was to NOT to buy anymore 'stuff' with the exception of consumables..ie tape etc. I don't have a many fancy big ticket items except my cuttlebug but there are millions of gems, embossing powders, glitters, regular and designer papers. Hopefully I will deplete my stash significantly by the end of this year!!! Wish me luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have lots of stuff. Lots and lots!

I constantly struggle with this irrational thought process: "I really love this. But it's so pretty. If I use it to make a card, then I won't have it any more. But wait, you bought it to make cards with...."

I don't know what that is called, but I have a bad case of it. There is hope for me, though. I just completed 36 Valentine cards and actually used up 36! darling little acrylic hearts that I've had for a while.

But, sigh - now I don't have them.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Buggainok, I have exactly the same thoughts, especially about really, really nice papers, especially when I know they are long since discontinued. I'm saving them for a special project, I tell myself. But wait, aren't all our projects supposed to be special? So I go round in circles too. As for the original question, yes, I have reached this point many times. No I have never stuck to it for long. Pinterest has made matters even worse! For the last 5 years I've told myself I will not buy any new Christmas stamps, I have hundreds. Yes, I have bought some new stamps every year. Willpower- I have none, I'm a pushover,lol. Oh, and Tims new stuff at CHA is going to be costing me a few pennies too. So yes, I really do have enough. I could make a card a day for the next 20 years, and probably not need to duplicate a stamp.So I don't actually need anything. But thats the wrong 4 letter word, lol. Not need, want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As a sometimes scrapbooker turned card maker, I reached the "I have enough" stage with paper some time ago. Though I did buy a stack of 8x8 paper last fall. I bought it with a specific purpose in mind and have used it for a couple additional projects. So, in my mind, I was justified.

I've often thought I have enough other supplies--until that challenge, that request or that event arises and I don't have what I need to complete the tast. Most recently, it was a request for a set of sympathy cards. I had one sympathy stamp, so a few days ago I ordered a sympathy set with several sentiments.

One of the things that keeps my stamp size from exploding is NOT jumping on "unique & trendy" bandwagons. Yes, it is adorable. And I absolutely do love what others are doing with it. Just knowing that everyone and their sister is buying it is enough of a hint that I will soon be tired of seeing the image and won't want to use it multiple times.

I believe the key to having just the right amount is to buy only what you love and know that you will use over and over again, and to bless someone else with those items that no longer suit your style or your needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 07:19 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have enough. More than enough. I know this, but knowing is not the same as doing anything about it. Tastes and interests change, techniques are learned and discarded or kept - the tools and mediums required differ, as do the images and papers we want to go with them. I'm trying to break my attachment to stamps that I LOVE but will never use (or, at least, not in the foreseeable future) so that I can let them go out into the flow. I don't have the same attachments to paper or ink, so that's a plus...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thought I had enough SEVERAL times --that is until I see something new I want Then I justify buying it by telling myself I don't have anything like that :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm trying to break my attachment to stamps that I LOVE but will never use (or, at least, not in the foreseeable future) so that I can let them go out into the flow.
If they are stamps that you love then I see no reason to get rid of them. There just might be a day when you'll want to use them in a non-card project--perhaps a coloring book for a grandchild (or yourself), a wall collage, an art journal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmmmmmmm...yes and no! I have more than myself and my friends will ever use. Im bulging at the seams but do I still buy.....of course, I dont want to miss out on anything....lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
If they are stamps that you love then I see no reason to get rid of them. There just might be a day when you'll want to use them in a non-card project--perhaps a coloring book for a grandchild (or yourself), a wall collage, an art journal.
I have considered this, truly, and still have mixed feelings about it - which is why they're still in the collection. I do have a few sets that will NEVER leave my sight, whether they get used or not! Only a few, though. Still deciding how much I'll miss the others...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rnruns60View Post
I've been stamping and collecting supplies( more collecting than card making to be honest) for about a year now. Each month I vow to not buy anymore and then a new product comes out or I watch a new video showcasing a product or technique that I am interested in. I had a birthday in Jan and spent all of my gift money on supplies as I did for Christmas . I just bought my last tool, the Minc, have a good supply of paper, ink , and stamps, and I think I'm done for a long while. I looked at the latest card kits that have come out and none tempt me. Even the newest releases by the stamp companies kind of look the same to me as other things I have. I mean how many flower stamps do I need or birthday stamps? So, did you reach a point where enough was enough? Were you able to stick with not buying anymore? The thing about it is I really enjoyed the supply collecting and haven't spent more than I can budget,but i think I'm saturated now!
This is why I'm moving away from certain companies and have become somewhat addicted to others. SO MANY of my existing stamps look so similar (especially a lot of the flowers - good call) and I'm trying to diversify. Even some of the stamps that I was really excited about a few months ago and put on my wishlist seem kind of stale now. Good thing I didn't buy them!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2016, 10:52 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

This is why I'm moving away from certain companies and have become somewhat addicted to others. SO MANY of my existing stamps look so similar (especially a lot of the flowers - good call) and I'm trying to diversify. Even some of the stamps that I was really excited about a few months ago and put on my wishlist seem kind of stale now. Good thing I didn't buy them!
I agree and I have also moved on to different companies. When I can look at a new stamp set and immediately know the company then it is time to change. They all look alike
Recently I discovered Heartfelt Creations . Their stamps and dies are quite expensive, but I am very impress with the quality .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 04:54 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

The new year is here and one goal is to get my "stuff" into a separate craft room. or same floor rooms...

I am in the process of reorganizing my embellishments for the hundreth time! I have boxed my gems and pearls by color, and realized not only what I have but which colors I do not have. That may be helpful somewhere when I have a coupon that only works on regular priced items.
My 8.5x11 cardstock stash is out of control! And lightweight dsp? How many envelopes can I make??? I used to make small ones for my weekly garbage collection cash payment, but now am on monthly billing...I guess I could send in the check in a nice dsp envie!!!
Let's talk about the collection of notecards and envies as sets. My mini coffee cups and lids. The clear bags for packaging. The ribbon, twines and raffia awaiting their snips for effects...
My stamps are pretty well where I want them to be. My cuttlebug and efs are organized. I am purging some paper embellishments I created - can't see a use for the style now... but wait, maybe someone in the card group can use them!
My Cricut expression mats and carts are OK for now. Then I will search for images as the occasions arise.
Then there is the set of alcohol inks and applicator I had to have but did not yet use. They will go with the clear ornaments that I bought at a significant sale...yet another creative venue!
Oh, and thank God my scrapbook stash has been digital...virtual space stays in the same location - only I move when I want to work! Now about all those creative Memories albums and refills and page protectors and stickers and...photo paper!
Then there is the matter of stickers - pages and files of them by occasion...
Inks and powders and embossers and markers -- oh my! Under storage control...
The tools of the trade? Each machine has its own baggage and supplies that I like to keep close by. My minc foils and pens await more use. My airbrush has created many a spattered background (and tablecloth...another story of where I craft). My MyStory machine binds many small notepads.
The items that need replenishing, like tape runners? The glitter glues I use so sparingly for a hint of an effect?
Do I have enough? Heck yes! But when the creative mood hits, it's really fun to play this way. As a retired counselor, I can assure everyone that it has really been therapeutic. Addictive as well, but that's another therapy session by itself!
I don't think I have ever met a creative person that was ever satisfied. We are eager learners, and budgets in tow, we are great enablers! We want everyone to try our mood lifters or to get pleasure from our work.
Now about that fabric stash...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 05:22 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Years ago....

I actually managed to put myself on a don't buy restriction for a couple of years and did pretty good at sticking to it, mostly. I also stopped buying new and/or trendy years ago due to a very tight budget. Can't tell you how many times I was glad later I didn't buy XYZ. All that being said....

A bargain is hard to resist when you see it, I have to remind myself buying and then never using just because something was so cheap IS NOT a bargain. I have plenty of reminders of this sitting collecting dust, ugh.

I bought a massive paper pack with lots of different solid colors in it this past week because it was so cheap. I had a tiny package of 8 x 8 brown in hand to buy because I need that color when I spotted a full size 200 sheet package for only a couple of dollars more, score - right?!

I got a whopping 12 sheets of brown paper in the pack, even if they aren't as dark a brown as I really wanted. To justify my purchase more, the sales lady even commented on how cheap a price it was while she was checking me out.

Only problem is what to do with it all, my file cabinet is stuffed full already, yikes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 05:23 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I am going to the craft store less; helps that it is 40 miles away. school teacher can always use designer paper; so I've giving them some kids stuff; and yes, I always think 'why am I buying more'

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 05:54 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you do need a certain amount of stash in order to really be able to have the flexibility to create much, but the line is pretty fuzzy between 'basic must have' and all the rest of it. I wish I knew where that line was, but I know I crossed it a while ago. lol!

Early on, I became a SU! demo in order to build up a decent basic stash, and I'm glad I did. Now the Frugal Crafter, Lindsey and her YouTubes keep me inspired to be creative with what I have. New pretties still call my name, but they're quieter now, which is a good thing. As a newly retired person, I look in my colorful stamp space with great joy ... and then I think about what I'm leaving my DS when I croak, and realize I better get crackin and get to using things up so he has a much smaller pile of stuff to deal with ... when the time comes. Even if that's a good 20 years down the pike, I've got work to do. lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 02:18 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I keep telling myself that I don't need any more paper, ever. And then SU or another company releases new colors, and I'm like "oooh! shiny!" and I buy all of the colors.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm the same with the papers, Sue. ;)

As for the non-consumables...I'm sure I have enough. And my budget needs to be better managed. So I'm going to be much more selective.

Except for colors!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

in certain areas that I collect in, yes, until the shiny new twist that really is different comes along. or if Prisma ever gets more pencil colors made or... :mrgreen:

do I have "enough" to create? You betcha... do, I have "enough" for my internal hoarder who knows precisely how little yardage of that never to be replaced vintage lace there is in my stash and OMGosh are you really gonna use some on a card?!?!
( well, no, not really that is why it STILL follows me home from estate sales) ;)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 03:09 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I have enough. More than enough. I know this, but knowing is not the same as doing anything about it. Tastes and interests change, techniques are learned and discarded or kept - the tools and mediums required differ, as do the images and papers we want to go with them. I'm trying to break my attachment to stamps that I LOVE but will never use (or, at least, not in the foreseeable future) so that I can let them go out into the flow. I don't have the same attachments to paper or ink, so that's a plus...
I also have stamps I LOVE but rarely have used. I am attached to them, feel a little guilty that I don't use them, but will keep them until I no longer like them.

I reached the point of plenty maybe three years ago. I buy a few new stamp sets each year(well, maybe more than a few).

I LOVE to use up supplies such as that pretty dsp or fun embellishment, so that's good. Maybe that balances out the stamps I keep!

I also gave some things away at a twice a year trade-athon with a stamp club I belong to with my local LSS. I donated much and took home one lovely embossing folder-that's it!

I also sold about 15 SU stamp sets, some full packs of SU cardstock I'll never use, etc. That felt great!

I've rarely if ever just walked around Mikes or HLobby just to see what catches my eye. I'm about 90% SU, so that helps. I don't stalk any other companies or pinterest or many blogs.

That said, I just got SU's Sent With Love....from about three years ago. Just stumbled on it on buy/sell here. I've wanted it from the day it came out! It has that cute little airplane. I've already used it on a desk calendar (2) and will get lots of use out of it on Valentine's Day cards! Gotta have a little fun!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 01-31-2016 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh yes I say no more, but the message never makes it to my credit card!

My problem is the dies; there are so many beautiful dies and fantastic projects to make with them. Now it is the Minc machine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 08:07 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I wasn't going to buy anything in 2016 until the end of the year - well, that idea didn't last long. First I pre-ordered the Mini Misti, then there were really good sales at Unity, Papercraft4Less and then the 40% off at Crafter's Companion! Hoping to do better at resisting the rest of the year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
I wasn't going to buy anything in 2016 until the end of the year - well, that idea didn't last long. First I pre-ordered the Mini Misti, then there were really good sales at Unity, Papercraft4Less and then the 40% off at Crafter's Companion! Hoping to do better at resisting the rest of the year.
LOL You are not alone :grin:

I bought very little during the Christmas season this year because the sale prices were not much of a savings. Now in January there are great sales everywhere. Commercial Postage went up nearly 10% so maybe the on-line stores are offering better sale prices to over come that.

Since the first of the year I bought several stamps and dies, but they were on my wish list and I got them at greatly reduced prices so I am fine with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I was shocked at the jump in prices for

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
LOL You are not alone :grin:

I bought very little during the Christmas season this year because the sale prices were not much of a savings. Now in January there are great sales everywhere. Commercial Postage went up nearly 10% so maybe the on-line stores are offering better sale prices to over come that.

Since the first of the year I bought several stamps and dies, but they were on my wish list and I got them at greatly reduced prices so I am fine with that.
Packages! It really jumped up! So glad I closed Chic and Savvy.

😨
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2016, 09:48 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Packages! It really jumped up! So glad I closed Chic and Savvy.

😨
Not only did they raise the rates per ounce for postage I read now they start the rate for any package weight at 8oz. So if a person is mailing a couple of Copic markers or a couple of packages of sequins they are charged the rate for a � pound package ! What a racket !

The on-line stores I buy from have been forced to raise their shipping charges . I am not going to stop buying on line because of the postage increase but some people may do so. So often the only way to get specific products is to buy them on-line. I am expecting Amazon to raise their minimum order for free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2016, 06:19 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't even waste my energy telling myself I've got enough anymore. It's a well-meant fib, but a fib all the same. Do I have enough stuff to make cards if suddenly every vendor shut its doors and I couldn't buy another thing? Obviously, yes. But that's never going to happen and it would be no fun, anyway.

Right now I am taking a look at my stamps that don't get much use and asking myself why. Is it because I lack certain things that would make them more useful? Are they in a style that I just don't have the right dies or embellishments to fully carry out? Have I not figured out how to color them to my liking? Or am I just never going to use them because I thought I would like them and really don't.

In other words, I am trying for targeted buying, rather than random buying. That seems to be some sort of progress. (Or maybe not, I can fool myself very easily. No one enables me better than me. ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 12:53 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

OH MY GOSH!!! I can identify with so many comments made here, it's scary, yet extremely comforting!!!

I sometimes wonder if I do more creating or collecting of supplies!!! I know I have more than I will ever use, or need, yet as someone said, new stuff comes out and it's so enticing. Or you see someone's videos - I won't name names, they know who they are - showing products or supplies that we all have to have, and I find myself wanting those wondrous goodies so I too can produce those fun or gorgeous cards!!! (As though I didn't have stuff that would probably work!! ha ha)

Some things that have helped my compulsion to buy so much, as I price check around, if it's cheaper somewhere other than Amazon, even with shipping, I buy it, without spending the extra $20-$30 or more to get free shipping on their site. I just get the one or two items I wanted or needed, and that helps. In the past I would have looked for other items to get the "Free Shipping", getting something I may not have really needed to fill the money difference. That doesn't happen now! I also don't use the weekly Michael's, Joann's, etc., coupons, just because they're there. I used to do that too. I'd go looking to see what I could save 40% on that would be useful, now I don't! Unless I need an ink refill or paper - oops, I'll probably never need that, but will continue to buy it - but you get the idea, I just don't go! That too has helped me.

My LSS has an annual "Garage/Yard Sale", so I keep a box in where my stamping supplies are kept, and as I run across things I question whether I will use it in the future, it goes in the box, not to come out again! That has really helped me get rid of stuff, as well as question future purchases.

This is a hobby though, that has allowed me to express myself artistically, and enjoy that aspect of my personality, and I can't put a price on that for my peace of mind. I know I will never run out of supplies to use, I just hope my mind will know what to do with them, and my body will be able to follow........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll raise my hand and be truthful here.......Yes, as a 25+ year crafter I have had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much!

However, since the inception of founding my "You Matter Project" a few years ago, its given me a venue to "let go" of some of my "overflowing stash". The best part of this is that I get to see firsthand that it is being used for a good cause. Plus, if I find that when I need to stamp an image that I have previously donated, I still have access to it to stamp it again....even when it's not in my personal stash anymore. Because of this, it has helped me a great deal to keep my personal stash somewhat under control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Ugh, yes, I am an addict! And, there are things I wish I hadn't purchased, like staying a demo and meeting my quota in CTMH.

I too am cutting back on purchases. One of the big helps in doing so has been my Cameo. When I see a die I just gotta have I can purchase the e-file from Sizzix or Silhouette for PENNIES.

I have fallen for Heartfelt Creations! But, I can now just buy a stamp and let the Cameo cut it out for me....beats $30/die!

I also have watched enough YT vids to know if I want a stamp set (SU) long term or not and if one particular stamp will make a bunch of cards that look different from the others.

Went to Joann's today to check out the sale on dies and didn't leave with ONE....realized the ones I liked so much I bought here in November on the Buy/Sell board.

January is over, I didn't by a single thing, except the images from the little $8/mo. subscription I have for my Cameo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 06:30 AM   #32  
Inking Addict

I, too, have way too much, but I do go through my paper stash about once a year and donate what I won't use to my grandsons' school for art projects. I also take unwanted stamps to our local stamp shop for a sale in fall. I hear there will be another one this spring and I have two paper grocery bags full to take in again. Also will take them to my granddaughter's garage sale in May. Hopefully I will get rid of them! Otherwise they will go to St. Vincent de Paul or I will pick out a few sets and give them to my cousin. She appreciates anything I don't want. Still, I keep on buying--stamps, paper, and my latest BIG purchase was a Misti from my husband for Christmas. (Notice, I said MY purchase! Teehee) I took it out of the box, but have not played with it yet.
I also had about 20 years of cards returned from a friend who was cleaning out her basement. AND after my mom died, I had all the cards I had made for her for a few years. What to do with them? Some I donated to my aunt's church where they recycle them into new cards. Some were too nice to toss, so I remade them into cards to send out again. Can't say I'm not doing my part to recycle! I don't feel guilty spending money on what I like. I don't drink, smoke or go to bars, so what's the harm? If I can make a nice card to brighten someone's day, it's all worth it. Just had someone gush over a card I made for her when she had knee replacement surgery. Made my day AND hers! So just do what you want and have fun with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

I almost hate to admit it but I've not bought any SU supplies for a couple of years. I was buying all the "in" colors every year and then stopped that so I am waaaay behind on that, but I've had a disruptive life the last few years and have been sending cards but are from my stash. I don't know if I'll ever get back in the routine I had earlier of buying all the new things. As some of you have said, I have plenty to tide me over for quite a while.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhototakerView Post
... my latest BIG purchase was a Misti from my husband for Christmas. (Notice, I said MY purchase! Teehee) I took it out of the box, but have not played with it yet.
I also had about 20 years of cards returned from a friend who was cleaning out her basement. AND after my mom died, I had all the cards I had made for her for a few years. What to do with them?
First of all Phototaker - get that MISTI out and use it. It's February already! If you're hesitating because you don't think you have time to "learn how", then let me assure you there's nothing to learn. It's incredibly obvious. You'll get it right on your first try, I'm betting. ;)

But I was also interested in your other comment, about getting back all those cards. How lucky are you! I sometimes feel that I am creating art that other people will transform into trash. I know a few people keep my cards, but I confess that I have a hard time letting go of the ones I like the best, because I can't stand the thought of where they might end up. This has been bothering me a lot lately, and the only way I have been able to resolve it is by telling myself that I can keep every card I make if I want, and some day when I'm gone they'll all be found in my studio - my body of work!

OR, I might begin to bunch them together in groups of four or six and give them as actual gifts to people. Somehow making them a present in themselves feels a bit better to me.

Off topic, I know, but your post just reminded me of this internal struggle I've been having. I know I can't be the only one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking Bargain Overload!

I have way more than plenty!!!
For a while, the buying was a stress response to a terrible period in our family's life. But that also created a habit, which took/is still taking some real will-power to change.

Three things that help me reduce the buying:
1). Unsubscribe from coupons from Michaels. It was like they were emailing to invite me over to a party planned just for me. Who could resist? And all those bargains, that seemed an obligation to buy!

2) When I have the urge to just jump in the car and go "browse" at the big craft stores, I try to remind myself that I could actually use that time with the stuff I already own, and have lots of fun making something delightful.

3). Enjoy crafty videos that focus on generic types of projects (flip cards, pop up boxes, neat ways to use basic dies) that I could use MY stuff to make. Lindsey the Frugal Crafter is probably my favorite. I like her view of supplies: Use what you already have, which she applies, even when she's showing off some particular product.

Still, I spend more than I should. But I'm getting it under control better. And now I must leave you to go chop on some of that mountain of paper I have collected! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

There came a day a few years ago when I walked into my craft room and looked around, just stood there looking at the shelves bulging with boxes full of stuff. I started thinking about how I spent more time organizing all that stuff, buying new boxes, containers and bins to organize my stuff, then I did creating. I realized my craft room which is pretty big felt small and like I had stuff hanging over my head.

So I pulled it all off the shelves, every single box and went through them all. 15 years worth of stuff buying because I had a first class ticket on that trend bandwagon, over flowed onto my floor. So much money and time spent and wasted on stuff that I'd never even used. Maybe one day. I sorted through it all, every bit of it and if I'd never used it, it went into a pile to give away. Books, magazines, paper, stamp sets, inks, tools, gadgets and even the fancy Ikea boxes and bins that I'd stored the stuff in went to freecycle. I even took all the shelves down off the walls, cleaned out every drawer and cabinet I had.

I purged until I was down to things that I loved, things that I actually used and wow did it feel really, really good! I vowed that day no more buying it because it was the latest and greatest. I still refresh my consumables, tape, glue, paper, ribbon etc. I also take a lot of online classes to challenge me to use what I've got instead of buying what they suggest.

I recently splurged on some new stamp sets for Easter and Mother's Day because I'm tired of just having bunnies and using flowers for those two holidays and I love that so many sets have dies with them as I love to cut out images when I make cards and that makes it sooo easy.

I watch on other groups when people post pictures of their hauls and I cringe when they do impulse buys of new tools because hey it's fresh from CHA! I look at stuff and think do I really need that and most of the time the answer is no. I am now one of those people that tells new stampers, stay away from the trends find what you love and focus on that, take classes to expand your creativity, but don't shop till you drop or you run out of space ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

When creating stock inventory for a craft show, I use only those supplies I already have on hand. During the last year of my working career, I made a decision to buy loads of paper pad collections at 50% off sales. Now that I am retired, and my income is decidedly lower, I'm so glad to have this inventory! I end up buying more to meet the requests of special order customers. The "leftovers" will, eventually, go into show inventory (mini albums), and, of course, cards. On occasion, a new paper collection will fall into that "can't live another day longer without it" category...Graphic 45! Enough said! Jokingly, I've told my kids that when I die, they'll have all the inventory they need to open a craft shop! Ha! Ha! What will happen if I should reach that place when my hands can no longer do what I want? That's when I'll open a craft shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by angie1224View Post
I purged until I was down to things that I loved, things that I actually used and wow did it feel really, really good!

I am now one of those people that tells new stampers, stay away from the trends find what you love and focus on that, take classes to expand your creativity, but don't shop till you drop or you run out of space ;)

AMEN, and AMEN!!! It's amazing how freeing it is to unload "stuff" that never gets used! I'm weeding out the last bits now... AND - I wish someone had advised me to only buy enough of anything to test if/how much I liked it before getting ALL of it (markers or distress inks or stencils or your product here...) You do need SOME to test-run, but not the whole enchilada...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I shall NEVER surrender!!!!!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

I feel like a member of AA...... I posted on another thread about thinking I would probably be able to resist much of CHA............HA!! Last night I purchased Prima's new Watercolor Confections!! even the name is sugary and addicting!!!!! I ran across some product reviews and videos by chance, and yep, got sucked right in, and my watercolor addiction had to have them!!! New colors, shimmery colors, ones that will look wonderful on my cards, with my beautiful stamps!!!! Yeah, I'm hopeless, I know.......... can I join the group????????
Reply With Quote Likes