Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-01-2016, 03:56 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jumping on the planner wagon - can you tell me

if there is a binder option planner, with pages that you can customize to make your own?

Or, any favorite planners?

Thank you!
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 04:31 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm going to try to be disciplined with my planner. I tend to start well and fade off into the sunset. ;) That said, I think it's because my pages don't meet my needs. At least that's my excuse for now.

I must admit to being a bit picky on my planner pages. And most of the options out there don't meet my first requirement...weekly pages must go from Sunday to Saturday, not start on Monday. And they can't be HUGE. I'd never carry it.

I did a lot of research. I don't need dozens of different pages. In my planner I want a monthly calendar for long term planning and weekly spreads for daily life. I found that I felt comfortable with the Planner Pad layout, but they don't make insert pages that are half-size, plus their weeks start on Mondays. I had a monthly planner one time that had a fun layout. I like to have space to draw or tangle...just a little bit. And I saw some ultra-fun ones that were hand-drawn, but didn't have enough discipline.

So I made my own pages. They're hand-drawn with options to color and draw in blank spaces. I plan to use Frixion pens for color. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to the copy center, but I'll make it there in the next few days.

I found another person online who has a second planner for shopping and errands, like I do, so I'm going to fine-tune that one with her good ideas.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 04:52 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Papertrey Ink has a binder option this year. They look beautiful.
https://www.papertreyink.com/moments...r-natural-tan/
https://www.papertreyink.com/index.p...=moments+inked

I've also seen some planners at Michael's or AC Moore (I forget which one). I thought that they had a binder option, but I'm only seeing spiral ones online so maybe I'm mistaken. If you're headed near one it may be worth a check.
THE HAPPY PLANNER? PLANNERS ? me & my BIG ideas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 05:18 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes!

I am a planner fiend! If you want to make your own stuff, I recommend a Filofax style (the binder kind) and there are loads of free printables you can find on Pinterest for inspiration or to get you started. You wouldn't even need to get the starter pages if you didn't mind printing at home!

The Me And My Big Ideas Planners are also great for printing your own content and are a great price point - usually $20-25.

I personally use an Erin Condren Life Planner and a Plum Paper Planner and love them! They are coil, so the pages don't come out, but there are loads of ways to customize them!

Don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have more questions! Planners are my jam!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 05:51 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I appreciate the help!

I would like to know if you think all of these planner stamps and/or dies are truly useful or are they gimmicky?

Any recommendations for stamps if you do find them useful????? I have 5 children, some go to school, college, and a couple I homeschool. I do not work outside of the house. One kid plays bball. I want to really deep clean, organize our house and do a lot of purging, which is big. I also make cards but do not scrapbook. If this helps at all with your suggestions...

Keep them coming - I appreciate it so much.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Also, I would be interested, IF I get some stamps, in a planner bag (if there is such a thing) with pockets for pens and stamps, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Also, other than Michael's, where can you go to look at these in person? Anywhere?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 06:13 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also wanted to get organized and stop forgetting things last year.For the last 3 months I've been using a modified form of bullet journaling. This really works for me because it is so flexible. I've simply been using a composition notebook and making my own pages.

I don't need anything fancy, I just needed one place to track everything. I don't pretty it up much beyond using different colored pens to track the steps I've taken on a project. I use calendar stickers I found at Hobby Lobby to date the pages and on the pages with my monthly calendar.

Google bullet journaling and you'll find a ton of information. The best part is how flexible the method is. I've tried and discarded some things, but have found other things very useful.

Good luck on your search for the planner method that works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Fun Stampers Journey has partnered with Webster's pages to offer cute and unique planners. And, so they don't remove this comment, I'll make clear that I'm just showing another option in addition to the ones mentioned. I'm not trying to sell you anything.

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 01-11-2016 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
Fun Stampers Journey has partnered with Webster's pages to offer cute and unique planners. And, so they don't remove this comment, I'll make clear that I'm just showing another option in addition to the ones mentioned. I'm not trying to sell you anything.
THAT IS ADORABLE. I hadn't heard of that brand before! Thank you for sharing!

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 01-11-2016 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBinPaView Post
I appreciate the help!

I would like to know if you think all of these planner stamps and/or dies are truly useful or are they gimmicky?

Any recommendations for stamps if you do find them useful????? I have 5 children, some go to school, college, and a couple I homeschool. I do not work outside of the house. One kid plays bball. I want to really deep clean, organize our house and do a lot of purging, which is big. I also make cards but do not scrapbook. If this helps at all with your suggestions...

Keep them coming - I appreciate it so much.
Karen
It's totally up to you - which is the fun of it! I personally think some of the stamps for to-do list is helpful and cute and has a purpose! But for me, and lots of others that use planners, the layout and design is a zen/crafty outlet so even if it doesn't serve a 'function' to have the stickers, necessarily, it's still fun to get them in there! You can be as utilitarian or whimsical as youw ant!

I might explore some of the printable "deep cleaning" lists for your organization and house (which you can find on Pinterest and get the size appropriate for your planner). I'd also suggest making a master list of "wish stickers/stamps" that include things like Basketball, Doctor Appointments, etc. Then you could go on Etsy/Pinterest and research ideas to see what you'd want to have and can make on your own! Does that help at all?!

Man I am SO EXCITED for you! I loooove jammin' on my planner!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaymacView Post
I also wanted to get organized and stop forgetting things last year.For the last 3 months I've been using a modified form of bullet journaling. This really works for me because it is so flexible. I've simply been using a composition notebook and making my own pages.

I don't need anything fancy, I just needed one place to track everything. I don't pretty it up much beyond using different colored pens to track the steps I've taken on a project. I use calendar stickers I found at Hobby Lobby to date the pages and on the pages with my monthly calendar.

Google bullet journaling and you'll find a ton of information. The best part is how flexible the method is. I've tried and discarded some things, but have found other things very useful.

Good luck on your search for the planner method that works for you.
I do a form of this for my meal planning and fitness schedule - LOVE IT. I use a FoxyDory to keep my notebooks together. Great suggestion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Also, other than Michael's, where can you go to look at these in person? Anywhere?
I know some people have found theirs at WalMart or Target, too. Staples and other office supply stores would have them as well I'm sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Scrapbook dot com has all of their planners and accessories on sale for 30% off until Jan. 4!

Or if you're really looking for a "business" planner, geared for demonstrators of various direct sales companies such as Jamberry, Pampered Chef, Thirty One and lots more, visit The Printed Planner. She offers specialized planners for lots of home business peeps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I really like the options with DIYFish. You can find her on Etsy, and there is a 'support' group on Facebook.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DIYfish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 02:18 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you, again, for the help and the links. I'm still considering the options. Have to decide by this week or I may as well not do it! :0)
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I made my own planner. I purchased a $4 Fabriano 5"x8" sketchbook from Michael's, drew in my own lines, and made a week-at-a-glance layout that suits my needs. From this cheap-o planner, I'm learning what does and does not work for me. And I'm saving a bundle while doing it.
  • I used the vertical layout like what is offered by Erin Condren. Perfect for my needs!
  • My planner is too small for stickers or stamps and the pages are too thin for any journal-type decorating. That's OK by me as I use it as a planner, not an art journal.
  • Pencil smudges, but Frixon erasable pens work great!
  • I could use a bigger "note" section. Maybe next month I'll add a second two-page spread as a sort of diary section for reminder notes and thoughts about the week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Thank you, again, for the help and the links. I'm still considering the options. Have to decide by this week or I may as well not do it! :0)
K
Not necessarily! For DIYFish, for instance, she has trial packs that are, I believe, for three months. It's a way to dip your toe in and see if you like the format, would use it as you believe you would, and see if it's worthy of your time and effort. If right now isn't a good time to start, perhaps next month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #19  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Planner Love

Although I use Outlook, I love my paper planners. I've been using Erin Condon (thanks to last year's planner thread). I like the size, calendar layout and the pockets and note pages but the coil binding was not my fave. I am though trying out the new planner from CTMH. So far, I do like the 3ring option to add, move and remove pages. I found I just use monthly calendar and daily note pages so it is nice to just have the pages I want. The planner pages are 50% off this month. I did have to add pen holders for both and use the Frixion pens which work well with both
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

What are the Frixion pens? A couple of you mentioned them. What makes them special?
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I believe it's erasable ink

They ones for fabric that you can write on fabric and then iron over it and the ink disappears
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

What are the Frixion pens? A couple of you mentioned them. What makes them special?
Karen
Yes, they are erasable and they come in several colors. I looked at Walmart and Target -- no luck. Then I found a 3-pack (boring colors, black, blue & red) at K-Mart. They were about $5 for the 3 for the clickable type -- I don't want the kind with the caps. Next time, I'll order online because I want the purple, pink & pretty blue.

This video is a bit long but gives you a really good idea of what they are, the pros and the cons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

That's a shame you didn't find them at your WM or Target, Melissa. I've seen them at both of those stores in my area, although I ordered my Frixions a few months ago from Amazon - before spotting them locally. I like the clickable pens without a lid-to-lose. These haven't glopped or drizzled ... nice & neat ... and pretty inks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
That's a shame you didn't find them at your WM or Target, Melissa. I've seen them at both of those stores in my area, although I ordered my Frixions a few months ago from Amazon - before spotting them locally. I like the clickable pens without a lid-to-lose. These haven't glopped or drizzled ... nice & neat ... and pretty inks!
Melissa, I too have ordered from Amazon. I got the Japanese version of the Frixions (they are originally from Japan) because they have a smaller barrel than the American version. I personally don't like fat pens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2016, 05:20 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Karen! I think planners, like most things, are pretty personal. If you love a company's style, then it will probably suit you. I know that you like PTI, so you may just want to try one of their versions for a year. Keep it simple, and see if you like it. I was very tempted to buy the new binder version this year, but I really disliked the gold corners and accents. Not my cuppa tea. I probably would have gone with the spiral version instead. I really didn't want to invest in countless dies for my planner, and stamping looked like too much work..too complicated.

I chose to go with the A5 planner from Simple Stories this year. I'm a huge Simple Stories fan...I love their artwork, I love their color choices, so picking this one was a good choice for me. I can go accessory crazy, or I can keep it simple and just order the filled binder. It's cheap for what you get, and the quality is great.

I've found that with my planners, I'm not a big stamp fan, but rather a sticker fan. I love the ease of cute stickers and washi. I can tuck them in a pocket in the planner, and take my planner with me wherever I go.

I also have a personal size planner from Websters Pages that I love, and here's the bonus: I buy the cheap Punctuate planners from Barnes and Noble each year, take out the pages, and they fit perfectly in my planner!

I will second the recommendation for Frixion pens. LOVE them! I have about a dozen colors now, and they are a life saver. I tend to write faster than my brain computes, and thus make lots of mistakes, so these pens are genius. My sons love them, too.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2016, 04:46 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I just switched to a smaller planner (Moments Inked from Papertrey) from an Erin Condren planner and find I am enjoying the smaller size. I loved the Erin Condren planner but found I was not using the daily pages and only using the month at a glance--the monthly view was big enough to hold all the info I needed to put on it and the blocks for the daily view didn't work for me. Going to the smaller size, I am still using my monthly view but now use the daily pages regularly--I like the single column for each day and since the monthly view is smaller, I need the daily column. I got the spiral bound this year but may move to the new binder option next year. I didn't want to invest in a binder until I used the spiral option (cheaper) to ensure the planner size/layout worked for me. My first planner back in the mid 90's was a binder option and I used it for years and liked it.

I do a small amount of stamping in my planner and use a few sticker reminders, but overall, I don't highly decorate my planner because I prefer a cleaner look and I don't feel like I need to add stuff to my Moments Inked planner because it's lovely all on it's own. I have ordered some stamps and dies to use with my new planner from Papertrey, but also have 2 planner sets that Sweet Stamp Shop sells and the price is good. Studio L2e also has planner stamps.

I use Frixion erasable pens and found them at Target and Office Depot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I love love love my Carpe Diem planner from Simple Stories. I got a lot of the accessories because I absolutely adore that line. I also got 2 stamp sets and coordinating dies from A Muse Studio to use in my planner. I have had other planners in the past, but this one, by far, suits my needs and is fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I'm still working and reworking my planner. Not decorating, just making changes with the page layout. I created my planner from an inexpensive blank booklet and am drawing lines on the pages in an attempt to figure out what layout I like best. Hands down, I like the weekly view with a vertical layout for each day's appointments and/or to-do items. But I'm learning that I don't like having a note's column off to the side. I think I'll widen the daily columns and put a small notes box along the bottom of the page, or maybe several boxes at the bottom of each day.

I don't keep a diary, but I would like to have a separate section (notes? full page, lined?) to write down some of the unexpected events, the stuff I might want to refer back to but don't want to get lost in my sea of planned items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Papertrey Ink binder planner this year but I don't use it. I decided to design my own and got it just the way I like it. Well, I don't use it either. I use my phone and sync everything with my iPad and computer. I guess I'm not a paper planner person anymore. I hope no more paper planners will wag their tails.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Forums?

Does anyone know of any planner forums out there like our lovely split coast? I have a friend who doesn't do Facebook but would love to join a planner forum.
Reply With Quote Likes