Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what are planners

I have seen lots of things regarding planners? What are they for? Are they really for planning out your day/weeks? I thought everyone had their life on their phone calendar. Or is is something else?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, planners are the new, hip thing for crafting. Who would have thought?

I've always been a paper planner person, though back when I was working I mostly used a desk calendar to keep track of appointments and deadlines. These days, busy young women are going retro -- giving up their electronic planner for a paper planner that they can customize the layout, the design, etc. I bet they are the envy of their peers! Here are some links:

Personalized Bullet Journal (Lots of people are adapting this idea):
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fm15cmYU0IM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
And their bullet journals might look like this:

or this:

Others are buying pre-made planners that come with stickers, or they add their own stickers and washi tape:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i0s5SYtVa6g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oCHmtXHMDB8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n0opnLXxjcA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 11-18-2015 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: added embed code and image tags
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

oh, i am guessing i do not need to memorialize my insane days. yesterday looked like this:
5am get up
start coffee
feed dogs
let them out
get a cup of coffee
let them in/wipe them off
start a load of laundry
fold the towels in the dryer
put away dishes
start dishwasher
shower
make dinner/start crock pot
put load from washer to dryer
leave for work at 6:45
leave 1st job at 4
stop at post office
start 2nd job at 4:30
leave 2nd job and get haircut
return to second job and finish
got to night drop
go to target
get home
exercise
dinner
do dishes
fold laundry
shower
get to bed by midnight
repeat

my daily planner would be filled with swear words!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I will be the last person standing who uses a kitchen wall calendar :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lori, my daily plan looks a lot like yours, except I'm retired and get to drink coffee and play with the dog all day.

And Phantom, I am a wall calendar person, too. Most of my days are not written in, lol.

Safe to say, I will probably not be making any planners.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I love a list and get a stupid amount of pleasure from crossing out jobs I've done when completed. Haven't jumped on the planner craze though ... I like the look of what people do to them, and I haven't met a stationery supply I didn't like, but I just know that after one week I'd be back to writing a list and crossing things off it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I watched the video on bullet journaling. whew! Am I the only person who cannot fit three months on one page? my desk at work at any given time has at least 20 post its.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love planners. I have a simple quiet life. My whole week can be listed on a post-it note. Opening my daily planner is the best gift in the world because it's my diary. That is what I use it for.

I don't write things in my journal like I cleaned the living room today. I clean the living room every week. Then it would be called the repetitive journal. One day I had a quiet day but I wrote about my kitten's milestones for the day. That made me happy. I have been raising him since he was two days old & now he's four months.

You don't need an expensive planner. Like SkyNacho said you can use a checkbook size calendar. I have seen some gorgeous ideas using those.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I have a notebook that I use for a To Do list. Unfortunately, what I write for one day usually takes a week to accomplish. I think that's because I keep forgetting to put down the 8 hours I spend on SCS.

And I have a refillable DayTimer that I use for past things, but not really a diary. It's more like: "Roofers Day 3. This time they left my ladder in the front yard and did not tell me why. Inspector could not get on roof and will have to come back," or "Walmart $68, mostly food, also shampoo."

I would like to do something that is a cross between a bullet journal and my DayTimer. Initally, I thought it would be fun to have a bound journal, like the one shown in the video. Now, I'm thinking about making my own pages. A two-page monthly calendar for future planning. A To Do page. And a section where I can write in the days events in a word, a sentence or a couple of paragraphs. Decorating optional.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 04:04 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

from what I can see planners are calendars on steroids! not a bad thing if it is your thing. I have a wall calendar, a calendar on my phone, a planner, and two paper calendars. And I never know where I am supposed to be.

ARGH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I am still a sticky note person!

I use them to remind myself of appts and write to do list on. I also love to cross off what has been done to watch my to do list get smaller and smaller.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I've used a planner for years. Back when I was in the corporate world, we all had to take a Franklin Covey class and we were given those planners. I used that type for years and prioritized all my To Do items, kept track of meetings, made notes, etc. Now I'm a SAHM and I use an Erin Condren Planner to keep up with all the kids activities as well as things like my appointments, classes, dinner menus, and gym schedule. If it's not on Mom's planner, it doesn't exist! I don't, however, decorate mine. It's strictly a calendar and list making option for me. I don't like to use my phone for that kind of stuff. I'm a pen and paper girl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a calendar booklet that I get for free in the mail sent to me by my tax preparer. It probably has about 20 entries in it for the entire year. I do love the look of the planners. I would probably only leaf through and admire a beautifully decorated planner, instead of writing in one...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

The problem with this "planner craze" for me is that I would spend so much time color coding, decorating and otherwise personalizing it that I would not actually get anything done!!
And, my life at the moment does not require a $60 plus planner to keep it organized. I could easily spend $150 on a planner, special pens, stamps, and even dies made just to add lists and pockets to your planner at Papertrey....all that stuff is SO my "happy place"...then spend hours making it all pretty....but I don't see the sense in that. I'd rather make a few cards!
I still prefer a handwritten list, and even some kind of small purse size calendar/notebook to carry around. But I can pick up something like that at Walmart for less then $10.��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

So much of the papercrafting hobby is about making a thing and giving it away. What I love about planners and journals is that I can make the thing pretty for me, and I get to keep it, too! So all of those stickers and washi tapes and papers that I have a tendency to hoard are actually getting put to some good use. My planners are now a great record/journal of my days, and it really does help me to stay organized. This week, I assembled a Christmas planner from Simple Stories, and I love it! There are pages for making Christmas card lists, gift ideas, spending trackers, Advent, calendars, spots for meal planning and recipes. It's really fantastic, and best of all, it's putting me in the holiday spirit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
The problem with this "planner craze" for me is that I would spend so much time color coding, decorating and otherwise personalizing it that I would not actually get anything done!!
And, my life at the moment does not require a $60 plus planner to keep it organized. I could easily spend $150 on a planner, special pens, stamps, and even dies made just to add lists and pockets to your planner at Papertrey....all that stuff is SO my "happy place"...then spend hours making it all pretty....but I don't see the sense in that. I'd rather make a few cards!
I still prefer a handwritten list, and even some kind of small purse size calendar/notebook to carry around. But I can pick up something like that at Walmart for less then $10.��
Yesssss - my planner is rugged (but pretty) and super functional, with places to WRITE all the things I need to do because I will not remember otherwise. I have a feeling that if I started 'arting' in it, I would never progress to get anything done. I can throw it in my purse or keep it open on my desk - it's not fancy at all. I like these, and have the first one listed: Deconstructed Planners - Orange Circle Studio
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2015, 04:48 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Joann has there online Black Friday going on including simple stories planner items!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 03:09 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you for this thread.
Fun Stampers Journey has collaborated with Websters pages,
and is coming out with an exclusive planner and accessories.
I appreciate the creative ideas!
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Yesssss - my planner is rugged (but pretty) and super functional, with places to WRITE all the things I need to do because I will not remember otherwise. I have a feeling that if I started 'arting' in it, I would never progress to get anything done. I can throw it in my purse or keep it open on my desk - it's not fancy at all. I like these, and have the first one listed: Deconstructed Planners - Orange Circle Studio
Dini, I'm of the same mindset, LOL. When that Documented Life thing started up, I used an old wirebound planner I had, covered pages with lined paper, added the extensions with my washi tape every so often, and then proceeded to use it to list artsy stuff (online digital stamp sites I like, stamping sites I shop, techniques using certain supplies (I get out embossing paste and make several cards using different techniques, for example), yadayada. I have ended up using that planner for A LOT of the different techniques for supplies and that has come in more handy than I ever thought. Now, it's a keeper! But, no art-ing in it at all, other than an occasional doodle. And I never shared it at DLP because I figured they would think I was nuts, LOL.

Bottom line on these things: Don't be working for the planner, make it work for YOU! xoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrapView Post
Bottom line on these things: Don't be working for the planner, make it work for YOU! xoxo
Ding, ding, ding, ding!
And the winner is: 123Scrap!

I know of a couple people who have invested a ton of money in their planners and don't like to use them.

I inherited planner from my exhubby last year after he passed. It's a nice DayTimer planner that, for me, is weirdly sentimental. I didn't like the DayTimer refills, so I bought the At-A-Glance calendars and address book. This year, I'm planning on making my own calendar pages with entries sized to fit my needs. As for art techniques, well those go into two other books that are not planners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Some of my favorite planners are from Barnes and Noble. The Punctuate planners have rings, a full calendar, tabs, a vinyl envelope for storing items, and stickers, too. And they are super cheap! I think I get mine for about $8.99. I typically use washi tape and Frixion erasble markers on my pages. I keep my personal planner with me all the time, and it's fun to doodle in when I'm looking at the week ahead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

I use to have a planner that was a calendar combined with planning pages. I loved it. Only problem was that it didn't fit in my purse and I would make appointments while still in the doctors office using my purse calendar, then forget to put it in my larger planner at home (which I checked daily for what events were coming up.) I stopped using my planner after missing several appointments. Now I don't seem to get anything done so I am ready to have a planner on the side table by my recliner where I always planned my menus and household to-dos, along with journaling from my 365/30 list (it's a thing-you can look it up on the internet) and I decorated any remaining spaces on my pages with zentangles, stickers, etc. I used multicolored gel pens. It was a beauty and it made me want to use it and therefore want to do as many things as possible in it. I felt so accomplished when I used it. I plan to keep using a purse calendar for life since that is what works best for me.
I purchased a highly detailed planner from this etsy store but have since purchased this more simplified one that is already a little decorated for me. The shop is hard to figure out but the owner is so helpful. I also love that most of her planners come in 1 month or 3 month trials that you can purchase until you figure out if you want to purchase the entire year's planner. I don't think this specific one comes as a trial though. You have to print these yourself but it ends up saving in the longrun. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1589368...ing-life-theme I purchased my zippered planner case from a thrift shop for just a few bucks.

Last edited by thdmsulvt; 11-29-2015 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

I have a whiteboard in my room. I can write what I want/need to do and rub it out when it is completed. I keep my artwork for my cards and pottery sculpture
Reply With Quote Likes