Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you own a Misti?

Wondering if anyone who owns a Misti is happy with it? Was it worth the money and what else did you buy when purchasing it? My other question is how do you position the stamp on the top plate so you know exactly where it will stamp on your paper? I can see if it's a clear stamp you could lay it on your cardstock, then flip the plate down and stick it to the plate and then ink it, but what about red rubber stamps with a cushion. You wouldn't know exactly where to put it. And how about two step stamps? So many questions, but I don't want to buy one if I can't figure out how to use it. Can you help?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

there are several threads on the MISTI in the tools section of this board.

The short answer is yes, i bought one. Get the magnets but be careful with them.

The MISTI is worth every dime. Most of my stamps are clear so it is easy to position. For others, I put scrap paper down, test the location and then substitute cardstock. I've saved a lot of paper using the MISTI.

Jennifer McGuire's video will help. Video: Mass-Producing Cards with MISTI Tool + GIVEAWAY | Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Yes, and I LOOOOOVE it! Worth every penny. And I USE it! This is coming from someone with a list as long as her arm of things I've bought and never touched. Cricut, Silhouette, Stamp-a-majig, punch boards, expensive markers, pencils, stamps, etc. Because of it I've actually been using my stamps. And it's SIMPLE to use!! And yes, I'm a bit "challenged" when it comes to figuring out how to use things. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Best craft investment I've ever made. I never thought I'd say that after my Big Shot but it's true.

Check out this video channel for all the basics and some special effects: MISTI Video Channel - Tips & Tricks with the MISTI by MySweetPetunia at Splitcoaststampers

Post #6 shows you how to use it with rubber cling stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Oh, and I forgot to add that I bought 4 magnets and the grid paper to go with it. You can use any grid paper, though. Actually, probably lots of other magnets. I just thought it easier to buy everything at once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Thanks everyone! I will check out all the videos and then make a decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine last week and I love it. I have used it so much, a lot more that I every thought I would. All the stamps I use are red rubber there has not been any problem. I watched a lot of videos before I got mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I love my MISTI. It is worth every penny I paid for it. It is one of the few crafting tools I will replace immediately should it be washed away in a flood or stolen in the dead of night by a crafty thief!

Yes, I love my MISTI!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Totally worth every single dime! I have not regretted it all. I would buy at least 3 magnets, but you can buy extras from a hardware store when you need them. I bought the graph paper too. I have not used the graph paper a lot, but I am sure it will come in handy at some point. The Misti makes stamping so pleasurable now! Best thing ever!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one, and it was worth it at the time. I saved frustration and supplies. I am terrible at stamping, and now I can re-stamp as many times as I want. I can use any type of paper and ink I want because I can re-stamp several times till it comes out right. So it has paid for itself. I don't stamp without it now, but I am also stamping a lot less these days (Silhouette and print my sentiments).

If I had to do it over again, I think I would have used a Stampin Up case for wood mounted stamps and created a misti out of that first. Just googling 'small hinged clear box' gives you many cheap ideas on how to make one yourself. I saw a YouTube video where someone built their own box that fit their clear stamp block and used that to consistently re-stamp - ingenious really.

But if you do a lot of stamping, or you tend to do one layer stamped cards (where a bad image means your whole project is ruined), then the Misti will be worth it. If you do those multiple step stamps (SU has some), the Misti makes that painless. If you don't have a Silhouette or don't print out your card sentiments, then the Misti is worth it.

If $50 is hard to part with, try making your own and see if you get addicted to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have one and use it almost every time I stamp anything. It's got the dreaded cracks on the edges that people are all up in arms about on other threads, my daughter managed to add a crack within the grid, as well, and NONE of it matters! It still stamps as well as when I got it, it saves me HOURS of frustration, enables me to be brave enough to try "techniques" (at my house that word should only have four letters, truthfully), and MORE!!!

I agree that it's a bit pricey, but so is a Big Shot or a decent paper trimmer (I paid less for the MISTI than I did for either of those), and it's WORTH IT!!! I almost never use the magnets or grid paper, but I'll often put another layer of foam in the "bed" to raise it even higher, because ALL of my rubber stamps are bare - no foam or anything.

I'm another one who "tests" things out on scrap paper before committing to the actual project, if I'm unsure. I've also stamped on clear plastic that I placed over the project so I could see exactly where it would be stamping and realigned as needed...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 10-21-2015 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

add me to the yes, Ma'am I DID buy one, I Do love it. ( I have saved so many pieces of paper from being tossed with miss-stamped things)

I bought 1 of everything in the site when I ordered mine.

( I wish I had bought more magnets) ( my clear stamps are stickier than my rubber ones and sometimes one magnet does not hold the paper completely in place) I am also stamping on backgrounds I made or thick papers like watercolor paper.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

If you do order one, make sure to order 2 magnets or go buy some on Amazon (I did this). I didn't get anything else but the Misti when I bought it, and the added magnets have proven to be a cheap 'must have' for this set up. A set of magnets are around 1.5-3 dollars. Well worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Heart

I have a MISTI and believe me, it was very pricey here in Australia when you compare that the US$ to Australian$ exchange rate is around 1US$ = 70 cents Aussie - but oh, it is the BEST tool (apart from my Big Shot) that I have ever purchased! I have alot of clear stamps & unmounted rubber stamps & being able to re-stamp when an image doesn't stamp cleanly the first time because you can re-stamp in exactly the same spot has saved me alot of frustration & wasted cardstock. I can now stamp my silhouette-type of stamps with confidence whereas before, they were languishing in my craft pile unloved because I couldn't get them to ever stamp cleanly.

Yesterday, I needed to stamp a sentiment on Bazzill cardstock which was textured - you know, like tiny grid lines - and because of that, the sentiment didn't stamp cleanly the first time. I was able to re-ink & stamp twice more to get a perfectly clean image. There is no way I could have done it without a MISTI because I am hopeless at eyeballing it if I need to re-stamp an image. I have seen other stampers on videos re-stamp cleanly, however, I have never been able to do it.

In the past, when I have stamped a sentiment/greeting inside my cards, I can't tell you the number of times I have stamped it crooked, upside down or it wasn't centred - or it just didn't stamp cleanly - so I would end up diecutting an oval & stamp on that & glue that over my mistake - and of course, that all takes time & cheeses me off. I never have that problem now because of my MISTI. That alone would make me buy another MISTI if I somehow broke the one I have.

I also have a tendency to squish down too hard with my hands when I stamp with my clear stamps mounted on a clear block so the end result isn't very good much of the time -and I usually stamp several times to get an image that I am happy with. I find that I get an even pressure by using the MISTI instead & the image is perfect the first time - again less wasted cardstock. I stamp alot on watercolour paper too & it's too expensive to waste - so the MISTI saves me wasting my precious paper.

The MISTI came with one magnet - and I would definitely recommend getting a couple more as you often need more than one.

Last edited by JoBear2; 10-21-2015 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really love mine. I don't reach for it every time, but it does save a lot of wasted paper, and when I was doing swaps in September, it was INVALUABLE. I bought the grid pad, the magnets, and the plastic cleaner, which I probably could have not bought because I haven't had to use it yet.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 10:43 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Sue cant believe I have not used mine yet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I have one and use it almost every time I stamp anything. It's got the dreaded cracks on the edges that people are all up in arms about on other threads, my daughter managed to add a crack within the grid, as well, and NONE of it matters! It still stamps as well as when I got it, it saves me HOURS of frustration, enables me to be brave enough to try "techniques" (at my house that word should only have four letters, truthfully), and MORE!!!

I agree that it's a bit pricey, but so is a Big Shot or a decent paper trimmer (I paid less for the MISTI than I did for either of those), and it's WORTH IT!!! I almost never use the magnets or grid paper, but I'll often put another layer of foam in the "bed" to raise it even higher, because ALL of my rubber stamps are bare - no foam or anything.

I'm another one who "tests" things out on scrap paper before committing to the actual project, if I'm unsure. I've also stamped on clear plastic that I placed over the project so I could see exactly where it would be stamping and realigned as needed...
I got a Misti for my birthday in Feb 2015 and have never used it....I know...hard to believe but true...no real reason why...just have not used it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 11:53 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

The Misti makes stamping so pleasurable now!

Last edited by samphirecw; 10-22-2015 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 01:25 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I too am a happy MISTI owner. I bought mine more than a year ago, and it has more than paid for itself. I've saved time and card stock using this, not to mention frustration from screwing up my project!!

I agree with so many of the previous postings; it's so easy to place my stamps on the card stock, close the lid, and I'm ready to go! Lining them up is a piece of cake using the lid that I rarely need the graph paper, yet always seem to use 3 magnets. I get perfect stamping every time.

My MISTI is one of my stamp tools I couldn't possibly live without, and if anything ever happened to it, I would be replacing it in a heartbeat!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm the only stamper on the planet that has no desire for a Misti! I'm not a big gadget person, like simple, have a small stamping area, don't want to spend that kind of money.

I do understand why everyone loves the Misti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 04:54 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I'm the only stamper on the planet that has no desire for a Misti! I'm not a big gadget person, like simple, have a small stamping area, don't want to spend that kind of money.

No, you are not alone! I have not bought one...yet. I am typically very slow to hop on the newest trend (it took me forever to buy my Big Shot). I'm not a person that mass produces cards, so I probably would not use it for that. I can see where the ability to re-ink something and stamp again would be nice, but truthfully that does not happen that often.

I already have to fight my OCD tendencies when crafting, so I feel like the MISTI would just feed into that even more. Perfection, I must have perfection! LOL! I may break down and get one in the future, but it's not at the top of my wish list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 04:54 AM   #21  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Nope! You are not alone. I have to be very careful what I spend my crafting money on and $50-60 can buy quite a few Copic markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

No, I have not bought one either. I really don't mass produce, and then use "Something" additional to stamp one image then move the misti to clear room to finish making the card, to me is just more work.

Plus I have lots of wood mount stamps. To use WM stamps I would have to unmount them. To do this every time I wanted to stamp is not time productive.

Everyone has their own way of doing things. Do whatever makes you happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Skype™ to Love2Craft

Funny I was just wondering myself if I should get it. I have a ton of swaps that I want to make into full cards with inside sentiments. I have been on the fence between getting the MISTI or the stamp press because well to be honest I am cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't own a MISTI. The cost is prohibitive, especially since I don't do a lot of stamping and most of what I do is not directly on a card. I usually stamp on a separate piece and attach it to my card.

But there are days when I screw up a stamped image and think, "If I owned a MISTI I could fix this." LOL So, a MISTI will likely be in my craft room one day, just not today or tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I got a Misti for my birthday in Feb 2015 and have never used it....I know...hard to believe but true...no real reason why...just have not used it yet.
I'm like you, Amber. I finally got one about a month ago. I tried it out with scrap paper the day I got it, and it worked just like everyone says it does. I haven't used it since. But I'm happy I have it if I need it.

I think it depends on the style of stamping and cards that you make. I don't use background stamps, but use patterned paper mostly. I don't do any two step stamping, or techniques like that. My cards usually have one image that I color with markers, and most of my stamps are clear and do well with my acrylic block that I use.

And, lately, I've been printing sentiments on my computer on copy paper for a liner instead of stamping them inside directly on the card. I know lots of people love the Misti for sentiments.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I bought mine about 6 months ago....have used it 2X.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

When I started stamping over fifteen years ago, I remember being told that there are no mistakes in stamping...only opportunities to layer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #28  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love2CraftView Post
Funny I was just wondering myself if I should get it. I have a ton of swaps that I want to make into full cards with inside sentiments. I have been on the fence between getting the MISTI or the stamp press because well to be honest I am cheap.
There's a big difference between the two.

You can't do cling stamp alignment with the press. And honestly - you can stamp crooked just as often with a press as with a block - the MISTI eliminates all that completely.

I can't stamp straight to save my life. I can't live without the MISTI. I'd say my two most common uses are sentiments and overstamping for perfectly inked images.

Except for Christmas I'm not big on multiples - I really don't see that as a primary use of the tool for me - I guess except that's why she invented it - HA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I got my MISTI as a Christmas gift last year and didn't use it for a few months and kept ruining cards when the image or sentiment didn't stamp correctly. I FINALLY cleaned off my desk enough so that the MISTI has a permanent spot and started using it all the time. I really appreciated it last week when I started on Thanksgiving cards; I used 2 Art Impressions stamps sets I've had for years and never used since I never could line up the cute mice with the pumpkins, pie, turkey, flowers, apple basket, etc. that they could hold. I used them with the MISTI and now have 10 perfect cards and I'm now making cards with all the multi step Kitchen Sink stamps that have never seen ink before. Very, very happy stamper with the MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 06:13 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

Thanks for all the replies. So those of you who own one and don't use it, would you be willing to sell it? Let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default not willing to sell

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhototakerView Post
Thanks for all the replies. So those of you who own one and don't use it, would you be willing to sell it? Let me know. Thanks!
at this time. i know i will love it if I just give it a chance. i do a lot of mass production so I really just need to get it out of the drawer and give it a whirl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 03:50 AM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Have it! LOVE it!!! A big thanks to all the SCS enablers LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use it all the time! No more crooked sentiments and no more half stamped images. It has paid for itself at least twice in the 10 months I have had it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhototakerView Post
Not willing to sell mine. Planning on it becoming a part of my creating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

I debated whether or not to purchase one but I have a lot of sentiment stamps that were going unused. I pretty much had given up on using the sentiments that came with my image stamps. I'm probably the world's worst stamper (I'm a digi fan)!
The MISTI has changed my stamping ability. I can't tell you the number of times I would have to layer a sentiment over my poorly stamped first attempt - it was either crooked or missing a letter or I would smudge it. You name it, I did it.
I'm currently working on my holiday cards and being able to mass produce has been a huge time saver.
For me, the MISTI is worth every penny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #37  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Have one - love it - wish I had this 20 years ago. I've bought 4 more for my friends and family and they all love it.

I highly recommend the quilting grid - it really makes it easier to align sentiments - especially the poly stamps that seem to want to curve. I rarely use the grid paper - I just use scrap paper.

I also agree that there are some things that are worth the cost due to the overall savings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Have one - love it - wish I had this 20 years ago. I've bought 4 more for my friends and family and they all love it.

I highly recommend the quilting grid - it really makes it easier to align sentiments - especially the poly stamps that seem to want to curve. I rarely use the grid paper - I just use scrap paper.

I also agree that there are some things that are worth the cost due to the overall savings.
What is the quilting grid that you are using?

Thanks
Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't succumbed yet; I recently put the only extra stamping dollars I had in a lock-down punch holder from Stamp-n-Storage. But a Misti is next on my list of must-haves. Maybe Santa will heed some hints this year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
What is the quilting grid that you are using?

Thanks
Shirl
In the MISTI thread some genius discovered this tip and it's wonderful.

It's a plastic sheet with a 1/4" grid. I bought mine at Amazon and cut it to fit. There are 6 sheets in the pack and I shared with my friends. I like this better than printing my own because they are a nice thick plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/TEMPLATE-VINYL...ers+grid&psc=1

UnderstanBlue's video is great for seeing how to use it. I actually don't tape my down as suggested, I just make sure I push the grid down into the corner. When I'm trying to get a word stamp straight, I stamp on the grid, check the alignment, and then move the stamp, re-stamp on the grid, until it's perfectly straight. The grid is easy to clean with stamp cleaner. Note, I don't use StazOn on my grid. The grid is also a great way to see what color ink you may want to use.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/208924870189955185/
Reply With Quote Likes