Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Junk Journal??? Tell me about yours!

In another thread, Poppydarling mentioned her "junk journal." Having no idea what this was, I did a quick Google search. I looked at photos, read comments and, after much confusion, came to the conclusion that a junk journal is whatever you want it to be.

Here's what I found when I went searching for "junk journals" on the Internet:
Some people say a junk journal is made with found junk. Other journals were obviously created with purchased stuff. Some had lots of writing, like a journal. Others had no words, except maybe what was printed on a magazine scrap.

What is a junk journal for?
This too was unclear. Some people just made pretty pages, others made weird pages--pages that seemed to be for no purpose or reason at all. Others used their pages like haphazard mini scrapbook or a cookbook or a place to put pictures of things that reminded them of their childhood.

I'm intrigued. I want to make one.
This can be part of my craft therapy that I mentioned in another thread ... a time for me to cast aside my practicality and craft simply for the sake of crafting. Maybe I'll make a book of uplifting quotes or maybe pictures of craft techniques that I want to try but never remember when I actually sit down to play.

Tell me about your junk journal ... materials, content, techniques and what you do with yours after you're finished.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2015, 04:44 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wel... I haven't heard of junk journals! Are they the sane as a smash book? I do have a smash book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2015, 08:32 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love that it's whatever you want it to be, and doesn't have to have a purpose either! Sometimes I just like to flip through and look at pretty paper, interesting designs, and cool junk! I have saved stuff like that for ages as inspiration, and now I can just bind it together

Here are just a few of the journal-ers that I follow on YouTube, because I think their journals reflect the best of junk journaling (for me):

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

The ones I make have more blank paper/space rather than ephemera, because I am a writer (guess that's where my practicality comes in). I call mine a hodgepodge journal too because I use my dies to cut all sorts of interesting paper shapes from printed and plain paper, and I usually stamp on the page bottom or corner and attach a few embellishments. Then I cut old ads out of a couple of old National Geographic pages I saved from an art course, or insert some colorful/interesting food packaging cut with my dies, postcards, old cards, card fronts, etc.

I put pockets on some of the pages and insert plain and decorated tags for journaling or small photographs, and I also bind in envelopes with trinkets inside. Tuck spots and hidden spots are really great!

I made a garden-themed junk journal for a friend who gardens and printed out some sayings about gardens and gardening and inserted those as well. Themed junk journals are super fun as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2015, 01:29 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the links! I can already tell that this is going to be a slippery slope for me.

In addition to my other ideas, I think I want to make one with food labels and ads then include some family recipes and anecdotes about how much my boys loved (or hated) the recipe when they were growing up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #6  
August 2013 Swapper of the Month

Hey melissa59,
I love Junk Journals! I was in a Christmas jj swap and not only was it so fun to create but the jj I received sat on the coffee table and someone was always flipping through it.

Basically, it was stuffed with vintage/snow themed everything. Lotsa pockets. Blank pages for lists, notes, etc. Just about anything ... ex. bingo card with the number 25 highlighted, old dictionary page with the word Christmas, pages from a old German book, and on and on. Tucked in die cuts and postcards and trinkets.

Fun! Have you started one? Are you enjoying it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I started one last night and dug out my Bind-It-All today to put it together. I haven't used that tool in ages! So fun to finally get some use out of it again. I have not done anything to it other than ink a few pages and add some paper edges to others. I'll do more stamping and gluing as I put it to use. I plan to make it my craft idea journal.

I may have to "borrow" the idea of a snow/Christmas junk journal. My mother would love something like that on her coffee table during the holidays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I just started a fall/Christmas junk journal for a friend who just had a birthday – let's work on our holiday one together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2015, 02:57 AM   #9  

A JJ is perfect for a craft idea journal! I think your Mother would enjoy a Christmas one, mostly because you made it for her! From experience, I can say family and guests loved ours. Oh, everyone can leave a Christmas message in the JJ ... that would be fun.

Enjoy your JJ's ladies! Happy creating!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

This is a PERFECT idea for some of the things that I've been hanging onto for years! I have stickers and labels and note cards and all kinds of things that I want to keep for various reasons. None of them are ever going to go on a card, and I like to look at them periodically, so this is the perfect solution to the "what do I do with this?" dilemma. Thanks so much for the idea and the links!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I wish I could just post these in-progress pictures as one entry in the gallery (does anyone know if that's possible?) But here is the cover of my fall/Christmas junk journal that I'm working on for my friend, plus some pages. Would love to see what you all are working on!

Fall/Christmas junk journal (in progress) by poppydarling - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Fall/Christmas junk journal (in progress) by poppydarling - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Wow. Cool journals. I'm impressed. Very creative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
Wow. Cool journals. I'm impressed. Very creative.
Thank you! I am obsessed with making these � I can't wait to see what you all come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2015, 03:40 AM   #14  

poppy, your pages look awesome! What an fabulous gift for your lucky friend!

Haven't made a JJ for years and after seeing your work in progress the bug is biting!

You asked about posting in your gallery. A friend often does a 'split screen' showing both the front and back of her project in one gallery posting. She uses a free program called Picasa, through Google. Maybe that would work for you.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmaranthineView Post
poppy, your pages look awesome! What an fabulous gift for your lucky friend!

Haven't made a JJ for years and after seeing your work in progress the bug is biting!

You asked about posting in your gallery. A friend often does a 'split screen' showing both the front and back of her project in one gallery posting. She uses a free program called Picasa, through Google. Maybe that would work for you.
Thank you! And great idea. That reminds me that I might spend a wee bit more time on my photos before posting, like making sure they're right side up :rolleyes: So much crafting to get done, so little time...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

OK, I just found out about Junk Journals through a private message with Melissa, and she directed me to this thread. This sounds exactly like what I've been looking for. Only I need to do three, or let the grandkids fight over it. I want to do something to let them know that their Nana and Pops were more than just grandparents. But I don't want to do just a journal or a scrapbook. This is gonna be perfect!

And now for any of you who like free printables, I have a link for you. You'll need to set aside some time to look through everything... a day or three. I love the stuff this woman finds at antique shops and flea markets. Then she makes it available for us:

FREEBIES | Just Something I Made

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
OK, I just found out about Junk Journals through a private message with Melissa, and she directed me to this thread. This sounds exactly like what I've been looking for. Only I need to do three, or let the grandkids fight over it. I want to do something to let them know that their Nana and Pops were more than just grandparents. But I don't want to do just a journal or a scrapbook. This is gonna be perfect!

And now for any of you who like free printables, I have a link for you. You'll need to set aside some time to look through everything... a day or three. I love the stuff this woman finds at antique shops and flea markets. Then she makes it available for us:

Have fun!
Been following Cathe for years - she's amazing! I even have two of her stamp sets (Pink Persimmon) Love her stuff...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I love the stuff this woman finds at antique shops and flea markets. Then she makes it available for us:

Oh my! What a wonderful site.
I steer clear of garage sales, thrift stores and the like because I'm a sucker for other people's junk--and I already have too much junk of my own! But I might have to be on the lookout for some great vintage books so I can make one of these: How to Make a Vintage Book Planner | Just Something I Made or maybe one of these: Vintage Book Expanding File | Just Something I Made
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Wow. Spent the morning at this site. Love this. TFS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2015, 04:20 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Oh my! What a wonderful site.
I steer clear of garage sales, thrift stores and the like because I'm a sucker for other people's junk--and I already have too much junk of my own! But I might have to be on the lookout for some great vintage books so I can make one of these: How to Make a Vintage Book Planner | Just Something I Made or maybe one of these: Vintage Book Expanding File | Just Something I Made
Ohhhhhno, I went and clicked on this..... those are ADORABLE.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 05:25 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Another great place for images is the Graphic Fairy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Junk journal = bulletjournal.com is one of the new craze things we do---It can hold not only a monthly calendar...but sketches, swatches, etc...anything that you might be working on or need notes to remember things......I was going to start one this week! If you go to Youtube and plug in bulletjournals....a bunch of creative ideas pop up!

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanne527View Post
Junk journal = bulletjournal.com is one of the new craze things we do---It can hold not only a monthly calendar...but sketches, swatches, etc...anything that you might be working on or need notes to remember things......I was going to start one this week! If you go to Youtube and plug in bulletjournals....a bunch of creative ideas pop up!
I'm a list maker. I often have to write things down so they don't stay locked in my head--keeping me awake, causing me worry, etc. I have a grocery list, a daily to-do list, a long-term to-do list, a craft wish list and lots of little notes (all over the house) listing things I need to add to my lists. (I wish that last part was a joke--sadly, it's true.)

I think a bullet journal is just what I need! A place to keep everything in one place, and with an index. Yeah baby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Junk Journal

Some great ideas! However, I'm not liking the 'junk journal' descriptor since much of what we create is definitely not junk but a thing of beauty. Initially, I was not inclined to read this thread because of the title, but I'm glad I did because it is full of wonderful ideas! Perhaps a more appropriate name would be an Anything Goes journal, The Skys the Limit journal, My Creative Muse, Topic journals, In the Moment journal...........anything but a 'junk journal'. Ha. I'd love to see more photos of your endeavors in this area!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I'm a list maker. I often have to write things down so they don't stay locked in my head--keeping me awake, causing me worry, etc. I have a grocery list, a daily to-do list, a long-term to-do list, a craft wish list and lots of little notes (all over the house) listing things I need to add to my lists. (I wish that last part was a joke--sadly, it's true.)

I think a bullet journal is just what I need! A place to keep everything in one place, and with an index. Yeah baby!
I have to write things down BECAUSE they don't stay locked in my head...! I might also be addicted to Post-It notes.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merine HebergerView Post
Some great ideas! However, I'm not liking the 'junk journal' descriptor since much of what we create is definitely not junk but a thing of beauty. Initially, I was not inclined to read this thread because of the title, but I'm glad I did because it is full of wonderful ideas! Perhaps a more appropriate name would be an Anything Goes journal, The Skys the Limit journal, My Creative Muse, Topic journals, In the Moment journal...........anything but a 'junk journal'. Ha. I'd love to see more photos of your endeavors in this area!
Totally agree! I've been calling it a hodgepodge journal or "anything and everything" journal. I don't use tons of trash or junk in mine, though some definitely do. Let's empower ourselves to call it whatever we want ;) That's the whole point of these journals anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merine HebergerView Post
I completely agree! We don't even call our junk "junk" when we want to sell it. We have estate sales and say the items are vintage or retro or gently used. So why would we call our artistic, creative journals "junk"?

I vote we start a new "Anything Goes Journal" movement and see if we can change how others perceive our handmade books of art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine will be called: Speak to My HeART.
Reply With Quote Likes