Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2004, 07:09 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demoship in black and white?

I have been reading all of the threads about becoming a demo during SAB and I've talked with my demo who would be my upline should I sign up. But I feel like I'm not getting a really solid answer as to what exactly is required to sign up and what exactly I can order as part of signing up and how demoship works. I need to see something in black and white. I hear or read a bit here and a bit there and then I'm sort of confused.

So my question is - Is there somewhere I can go to see exactly what becoming a demo intails? I've been to the SU website but I didn't find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's life!

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 07:29 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Okay, here goes. This will be long, but hopefully it will help. It costs $199 for the start up kit (plus tax). In the kit you may either get the recommended stamp sets or choose your own sets that you want of the same value. Here are the recommeded sets and how much they are worth.

Itty Bitty Backgrounds $11.95
Fresh Flowers $24.95
Tags and More $19.95
All Year Cheer I $29.95
Perfect Party $24.99
Blossoms and Bugs Wheel $5.95

Now, if you don't like those choices, you may choose another set or sets in place of the ones you don't like, but they must be the exact same dollar amount. For example, when I signed up, I didn't like Perfect Party $24.99, so instead I got In Full Bloom $24.99.

AND for accessories, you get the Stampin' Around handle, stampin' pastels, sponges, cello bags, SNAIL adhesive, craft and rubber sissors, stampin' scrub pad, stampin' mist, versamark pad, and a basic black stamp pad. You may choose one color of ink cartridge for the stampin' wheel, you get 2 packages of assorted cardstock (you may pick which group - BB, EE, RR, SS), one package of ultrasmooth cardstock (you choose the color), and your choice of 5 stamp pads (Recommeded are green galore, yoyo yellow, real red, pink passion, and brilliant blue).

AND you get business supplies including the First Impressions video, getting started video and folder, guest invitation postcards, Idea book and catalogs, seasonal mini catalog, fresh flowers instpiration sheets, and much more.

AND you will get the new Sincere Salutations stamp set everyone is going gaga about, AND you may choose any retail stamp set from the current Idea Book & Catalog when you sign up. You must write the name of the set you choose on the top of the starter kit form. If you don't request a certain stamp set, you will automatically receive Everyday Flexible Phrases as your free set.

ALL THAT FOR ONLY $199. Just think how much you would pay if you bought that out right. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 08:23 AM   #3  

Quote:

Now, if you don't like those choices, you may choose another set or sets in place of the ones you don't like, but they must be the exact same dollar amount. For example, when I signed up, I didn't like Perfect Party $24.99, so instead I got In Full Bloom $24.99.

Just thought I'd point out, they don't have to be the exact same amount, they just can't be worth more. It makes more sense to maximize your kit's value, but if you just don't like any of the $24.99 sets (or already have them) you can choose something else of a lesser value.

Once you become a demo, you only have to order $300 a quarter to remain active and to follow SU!'s policies according to the agreement you signed. That's it. Everything else is up to you as far as how much you want to get out of your business. There are loads of incentives, but if you just want to stay active and no more, $300/ quarter is all you need to do.

Your demo should have given you a sign up form and demo agreement. That should explain the basics, and once you become a demo you will receive a more in depth demonstrators manual which should answer many questions that you have.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 09:00 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

There is a BIG demonstrator manual that you get (on a CD) when you sign up. It contains ALL of the rules.

When I signed up, I thought it was odd that I didn't get to see the manual BEFORE signing. If you really want/need ALL of the information, ask your demo to see her manual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 12:53 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Is SAB a special time to sign up? If so, why? Is it the best time to sign up?

TIA!
Leslie, on the TX Coast (where we got a record-shattering 8-13" of SNOW Christmas Eve night...the first time it's snowed since 2" in 1989!) :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 01:52 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I'm sure someone could answer this better but I think that it is such a good time because people are more likely to place a 50 order to get a free stamp set therefore increase you sales and possibly get the 300 you need to make the quarterly minimum. Whew! Sorry for the run on sentence. I talk like that in real life too :( Not to mention that if you sign up In Jan or Feb you get a free set of your choice in your starter kit and also the Sincere Salutations stamp set which won't be available til March. Dang! Did it again!
HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 01:52 PM   #7  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default SAB

SAB is the best time to sign up. You are getting 2 more sets than normal! Sincere Salutations and a set of your choice. That set can be valued at up to $38.95. Also, it is a good time for the recruiter. She will also get a little extra gift for recruiting during SAB.

When I signed up, all I got "extra" was an idea book that I don't think we even sell anymore. It is a great time to get started. JUST DO IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 03:58 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Y'all are great! Jessica - Thanks you so much for all of that! It will really help me. I will probably become a demo in Jan but am just worried that I will end up spending more than necessary seeings how I only intend to be a hobby demo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 05:05 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I would sit down with your demo and ask her for the demo agreement form, and the contract with all the terms and agreements, I would also ask if you could see the recruit brochure along with the First Impressions video.

I went over several lists of questions with my upline and it took me several months to decide. My upline was willing to show me numbers and forms that I was needing to see and was willing to answer as many questions as needed. She also made it clear how she would be able to help and support me.

If your potential upline is vague about details, she may not be sure herself.... I would be sure to figure out how she will be able to support you!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 05:09 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Darla: When you share your excitement with your friends and family you will more that make your $300 per quarter. Don't worry :? it will always work out :!:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 05:54 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

The great thing is that if you can't make it, there is no problem. You just go inactive. The demonstrator kit is such a deal that you just can't lose if you love to stamp. There are no minimum number of shows you must book, ever. It is just so much fun.
Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 06:32 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Does the $199 starter kit count towards the free SAB sets you can get for every $50 purchase?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 07:28 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

What happens if you go inactive, can you start back up again?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 07:39 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by peony
Does the $199 starter kit count towards the free SAB sets you can get for every $50 purchase?
No. The starter kit fee goes to a different department. The $50 SAB must be put in by the demo through a customer order or a hostess order to get the free sets. But i think that the free set from the catty (any set you want!) and the free sincere salutations set is a much better deal anyway! :-)

I signed up during SAB last year, and I think that was the best time of the whole year... Because I signed up in January, my first workshops were during SAB, so it helped my early workshop totals.

Stampin' Up! demonstrator with a website!

What Can Lightbulb Do For You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by peony
I don't believe so, no. Just like it doesn't count towards quarterly minimums. SPeaking of the quarterly min., don't forget that it's $300 RETAIL value -- you pay 20% less to purchase it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 07:57 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Also it is worth mentioning that you don't have to make minimums till the end on June, as that will be the end of the first Full quarter, and anything you put through in the part quarter (jan, feb, mar) will go torward the minimum for apr, may June. So if you were thinking about a slow start!! or just want to have your bases covered...

www.kiwiscrapper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 08:24 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you both for the quick reply!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 09:05 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialkx3
Is SAB a special time to sign up? If so, why? Is it the best time to sign up?

TIA!
Leslie, on the TX Coast (where we got a record-shattering 8-13" of SNOW Christmas Eve night...the first time it's snowed since 2" in 1989!) :shock:
Leslie, in Alvin we got 5-6 inches and it was great. Weird that the more south you went the more snow there was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Also, don't forget about the add on kit. I don't know many of the details on it but I hear it is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm with ladyscrapper on the add on kit! I could just kick myself for not getting it! It's a great deal!
I'm a scrapper and thought "oh, i'll never use that"...such a moron I am!
Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 09:17 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

My demo said that when she signed up, there was no add-on kit like that available. I added the scrapbooking kit and plan on putting my finished pages from swaps in it to showcase! I'm so excited!

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 05:51 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

So what's in the add-on kit & how much is it? What other extras are there?

I'm sorry...I could be asking my demo all of this! I'm not going to be signing up anytime soon. My hubby would kill me...I recently signed up to sell Tupperware since they had a $25 kit deal & I haven't made any "money" yet (but my pantry looks fabulous & organized with all of the new Tupperware I've used my profits on!).

I don't have room at this house to do the same with SU! We're planning on selling this house & getting a bigger one with some land soon, though, so I want to be ready with my stamping plans! Hey, he wants a workshop so I should get a stamping room!!

Leslie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 05:56 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Am I also correct in understanding that if I make 400 in sales at my workshops before Feb is over I can get Occasionally from the Winter Mini as well as a free SAB set for reaching 300? I was reading the winter mini and the SAB catty. Somebody please help me figure this out. I am trying to figure out what I can afford and I have my heart set on 3 SAB sets!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 06:38 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwiscrapper
Also it is worth mentioning that you don't have to make minimums till the end on June, as that will be the end of the first Full quarter, and anything you put through in the part quarter (jan, feb, mar) will go torward the minimum for apr, may June. So if you were thinking about a slow start!! or just want to have your bases covered...
I don't think the partial quarter sales goes toward the first full quarter...or am I thinking of Stampin' Start? It's one of those that only the first full quarter sales counts towards. Sorry, it's been a while since I've signed up and I don't remeber for sure, but I'm sure there's someone out there that can clarify this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 07:17 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hisbride
Am I also correct in understanding that if I make 400 in sales at my workshops before Feb is over I can get Occasionally from the Winter Mini as well as a free SAB set for reaching 300? I was reading the winter mini and the SAB catty. Somebody please help me figure this out. I am trying to figure out what I can afford and I have my heart set on 3 SAB sets!

Hi Melissa,
You must be the 'hostess' of net workshop sales totalling $400 by Feb. 28, in order to earn the Occasionally set. Because of the terrific discount on a new demo's first workshop order, many times that first order does indeed qualify for the mini catty hostess appreciation set! Whoever is designated as the 'hostess' earns the set, whenever her totals reach $400 before the ending date of the appreciation set.

HTH!
~Beverly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 07:58 AM   #26  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

I am planning on signing up in January and am also planning on getting the extra scrapbooking add on. For only $50 more you get another set of cardstock, a simply scrappin kit- (which you can also use to make cards with) a craft pad, a pen, an album, and an alphabet set, and a set of tags! Every demo I have talked to "wishes they had this when they signed up", and would reccommend getting it. This is a great time to sign up if you can! The extra freebies are also great! With all of the help and support on this website, how could anyone go wrong?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 08:05 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

don't think the partial quarter sales goes toward the first full quarter...or am I thinking of Stampin' Start? It's one of those that only the first full quarter sales counts towards. Sorry, it's been a while since I've signed up and I don't remeber for sure, but I'm sure there's someone out there that can clarify this.
It does now -- thre is a notation in the January SS magazine as to the change in policy.... sales done in the remainder of the sign-up quarter WILL count towards your first full quarters quota

HTH!
Caroline in Toronto
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 08:41 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolineInToronto

It does now -- thre is a notation in the January SS magazine as to the change in policy.... sales done in the remainder of the sign-up quarter WILL count towards your first full quarters quota

HTH!
Caroline in Toronto
Figures they changed it now.... ... not when I signed up! (I had an awesome first 2 months and they didn't count (but for my Stampin Start)

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 08:49 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

LOL! Yeah, the whole "back in my day when I signed up...." ;)

Let's see.. the Canadian Starter kit was $315, was not customizable (included stuff like the Smile set), had far less then what's in it now, S&H was 15% or $15.95, whichever was greater, and took almost 3 weeks to arrive. Oh yeah, and no Great Rewards or LogoPlace for Canadians.

Plus, the catalogue was in US dollars only, and we had a wacky supplement to flip through to find the Canadian price!

Things are WAY better now!

Caro in TO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 08:57 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

ok, I am totally confuesed!! can someone better explain the first quarter thing to me better???

what I am reading is that the first quarter (Jan/feb/mar) is kind of a "free" time where we don't have to make any minimums and anything we do make will be put towards the 2nd quarter?? am I getting this right?? If I am that is awesome!! I just mailed my paper work in yesterday - I can't wait to get my kit!!

Oh Bother - Winnie the Pooh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 09:01 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

hee hee I am just giggling with delight! Since this will be a workshop to introduce my friends to SU it will be at my house meaning I will be the hostess with the mostess baby! Woo hoo! This is soooo wrong!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

haha!! hisbride - I am doing the same thing!! and since this is my new business & my first workshop & order & the great deals....everyone has a wish list a mile long! Free stamps here I come! haha!! It does feel wrong doesn't it! I say its payback for the $$ we forked out on the kit (even though its pretty cheap!) Whoo hooo free stuff!!! :lol:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 09:09 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

does this mean if i make my $300 in the first (partial) quarter (jan/feb/march) it will fulfill the april/may/june quarter? wow - if so my life just got so much better!!!

can't wait - i am filling out paperwork next week - i have a slow demo but i can't wait to get going...
Marni - SCS #14788 and SU Demo
My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate. Thornton Wilder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 09:52 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yup, if you are signing up now during SAB (Jan-Feb-March quarter), your sales then will now also count towards your first full requirement period (April-May-June).

Which means you have up to 6 months to fulfil your $300US/$450CDN quota!

GREAT new change to policy, IMO!!

Caroline in TO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 09:57 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

OMG!!! that is great!!! Now I can relax and just have fun - that quota shouldn't be hard to meet at all!!

I just hope I didn't send my forms in too early!! I mailed them yesterday - I can't imagine them getting there in a day or two but stranger things have happened. I did date them for Jan. 1/05 so I should be ok....right??

Oh jeez, I should have waited!!! now I am so worried I was too anxious to get the forms in!!! arrgg!!! darn it!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Bonnie, don't sweat it! While it is WAY doubtful that they'll get it for tommorrow, you can just get your upline to email Dale at the Calgary office and ask him to make sure that they put it aside to process in January only.

HTH!
Caroline
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:10 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks!! I will contact her and ask her to do that for me!! Feewww!!! what a releif!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 10:19 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks to everyone for responding to this thread. I guess when it comes right down to it I easily spend $100 a months on stamps and I may as well be getting the discounts. One thing no one has mentioned is what I'll have to do come tax time. I truly only intend to be a hobby demo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 11:15 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

[One thing no one has mentioned is what I'll have to do come tax time. I truly only intend to be a hobby demo.]

Along that line would I have to get a business license to be a demo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 08:23 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

I'd like to know the answer to getting a business license, as well. Thanks!

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes