Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2015, 03:06 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MISTI plate cracking?

Has anyone had any trouble with the top plate of their MISTI cracking? I have had mine for about 6 months and just noticed the the edges are starting to crack. I have never used anything on except for the NOVUS cleaner that was recommended, nor have I ever dropped it or in any way mis-used it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 03:38 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Awww...quite a few people have had issues with the sides cracking. Now, have those cracks extended into the top of the unit? I haven't heard. I hope someone with experience can help you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Yep, I have had mine just a little over 6 months and the cracks just started showing up on mine too. Like you I only used the Novua cleaner and was always very gentle with it. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I have had mine for about 6 months also. There are two very, very tiny little cracks on two side edges. I don't think the Novus cleaner is a problem....cos' I haven't opened the bottle yet LOL. I always remove the stamp from the lid before cleaning the stamp, I figured the weekest point would be the hinges, so I do not put any stress on the lid.

This is seriously the best and most useful tool I have ever purchased. I LOVE my MISTI and I am hoping the itty bitty cracks won't get any bigger.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 03:55 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Acrylic Cement

When the replacement Misti started to crack, I bought this: Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive - 4 Oz and Weld-On Applicator Bottle with Needle: Contact Cements: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

And watched videos on how to use it and then applied it to the cracks. So far so good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 04:02 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by browprView Post
When the replacement Misti started to crack, I bought this: Weld-On 4 Acrylic Adhesive - 4 Oz and Weld-On Applicator Bottle with Needle: Contact Cements: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

And watched videos on how to use it and then applied it to the cracks. So far so good.
FYI Try at your own risk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 04:24 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I'm just guessing that the cracks are caused because the acrylic isn't meant to bend and the bending is causing the cracking. Maybe if the unit was made with a sturdier acrylic that would help to eliminate the cracking.

**I don't understand what the cleaner has to do with cracking. Do other cleaners eat through acrylic? I haven't a clue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 05:46 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I wasn't saying the Novus cleaner caused the cracking. I had just read that when another person's Misti started to crack the creator told the person it wasn't a defect in the product but was probably caused by the person using the wrong cleaner. So I wad just pointing out that I had only used the recommended cleaner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Sorry....I just don't get why anyone (creator or not) would think that using a cleaner would crack the acrylic, unless they are using something that is eating through the acrylic.

That's all.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerdView Post
Sorry....I just don't get why anyone (creator or not) would think that using a cleaner would crack the acrylic, unless they are using something that is eating through the acrylic.

That's all.....
Stazon, Windex, anything with alcohol will make cracks/craze acrylic.

If you or anybody else has problems, contact the maker directly. She will be able to tell with pictures of the MISTI, if the cracks are defeats or not.

This info has been posted before and is on the ordering page of the MISTI.

Hope this info helps you out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I did e-mail pictures of the cracks to the creator and got told I could mail it at my expense for her to inspect it and decide if it was a defect. Having heard other people's results from this "inspection" I have decided I am not putting any more money into this product. I am not running around yelling nasty things from the rooftop - I think it was a great invention, mine just doesn't hold up well. I didn't start this thread, however whenever anyone asks I am going to tell them of my experience. People can make up their own minds about whether to invest in one, but I do think they have a right to know what may happen to theirs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedPixieView Post
I did e-mail pictures of the cracks to the creator and got told I could mail it at my expense for her to inspect it and decide if it was a defect. Having heard other people's results from this "inspection" I have decided I am not putting any more money into this product. I am not running around yelling nasty things from the rooftop - I think it was a great invention, mine just doesn't hold up well. I didn't start this thread, however whenever anyone asks I am going to tell them of my experience. People can make up their own minds about whether to invest in one, but I do think they have a right to know what may happen to theirs.
I am sorry about that. I thought I read somewhere that the MISTI maker can tell if the cracks were a defeat by pictures. I Completely understand about your experience. I keep reading these threads to get more info.

I was actually responding to another poster above. About her comments regarding acrylic cracking and what may be the cause.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Thank you. I hope I didn't sound nasty - I am more sad than anything because I love what the Misti does. I just can't buy a tool that only lasts me about 6 months with light usage. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default Misti cracks

Quote:

After speaking with my girlfriend about the MISTI and telling her about my cracks she told me to contact the seller. I contacted her and got the same response that you got. I had only used my MISTI twice since I received it in February. So I feel the same way you do, why invest any more money into something that she know have defects in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thank you. I hope I didn't sound nasty - I am more sad than anything because I love what the Misti does. I just can't buy a tool that only lasts me about 6 months with light usage. :(
No, not at all. I have read here on SCS that the maker of MISTI can tell by pictures it the cracks were a defect. It just surprised me to read that requests are made to mail the MISTI back to her now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
No, not at all. I have read here on SCS that the maker of MISTI can tell by pictures it the cracks were a defect. It just surprised me to read that requests are made to mail the MISTI back to her now.
I agree, I did not think you sounded nasty. It is a great invention and it stamps great. But, if you scared to use it. ijs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

...subscribing...have considered purchasing, but if the tool can't stand up to normal usage I may rethink...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

:(:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Me too. I was thinking hard about it. So many experienced people were so thrilled with it. This is sad news. :(

Hard acrylic would not like bending and certainly not over and over. Are the cracks where the bending happens? I am not sure why it is bending-I never saw that in any of the vids...it looked like just flip over and press straight down? What am I missing? I have not seen it used in person yet.

I already have novus in the house for cleaning framed posters that have acrylic fronts instead of glass. Been using it for years. Nothing has ever cracked.

Even if it is user error...as a child of an inventor the attitude would have been re-design to prevent that. You dont want people walking around saying it breaks for whatever reason. But it really does not sound like that.

I am going to keep watching this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2015, 04:32 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my Misti and since I had already invested I repaired mine with the Acrylic Cement. (DO AT YOUR OWN RISK). To justify buying a MISTI I thought about all the money spent on acrylic blocks, if I added that up I could easily have paid for a MISTI and I have no waste of paper because of missed stamping and I have gained a ease of use with difficult to use stamps.

If you consider using the Cement please watch videos on how to apply it with capillary action. The Cement is more fluid than water. Since using it I have had no more cracks. Which could be because of the cement or because I also added another piece of thinner acrylic to the top to made the top level with the table when inking.

Since I was already invested this made sense to me to do. Key words here being "already invested".

I also stopped being heavy handed when pressing the lid down. I'm the type of stamper who gets a workout stamping (LOL). But watching Mrs. Wong use her Misti I see she uses a lighter touch than I was using, so I adapted my style to a lighter touch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I sent her pictures and now she is asking me to send the tool back to her at my expense so that she can inspect it. I have heard rumors of her denying a replacement by claiming the tool was mis-used and people were having trouble getting their original back. She has stated that ones made before March have a manufacturing defect that is causing the problem, so I don't understand why she needs to "inspect" it. I really am leery of sending it her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by NettiepoohView Post
After speaking with my girlfriend about the MISTI and telling her about my cracks she told me to contact the seller. I contacted her and got the same response that you got. I had only used my MISTI twice since I received it in February. So I feel the same way you do, why invest any more money into something that she know have defects in it.
I agree. She has admitted that there are defects in the ones made before March so why the need to send it back to her? Also, it is still usable at this point and I use it a lot so I don't want to be without it while waiting for a replacement that might not happen. I'm just afraid of it cracking more to the point it becomes unusable. Then where does that leave me? With everything I'm hearing I'm afraid to risk it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by browprView Post
I love my Misti and since I had already invested I repaired mine with the Acrylic Cement. (DO AT YOUR OWN RISK). To justify buying a MISTI I thought about all the money spent on acrylic blocks, if I added that up I could easily have paid for a MISTI and I have no waste of paper because of missed stamping and I have gained a ease of use with difficult to use stamps.

If you consider using the Cement please watch videos on how to apply it with capillary action. The Cement is more fluid than water. Since using it I have had no more cracks. Which could be because of the cement or because I also added another piece of thinner acrylic to the top to made the top level with the table when inking.

Since I was already invested this made sense to me to do. Key words here being "already invested".

I also stopped being heavy handed when pressing the lid down. I'm the type of stamper who gets a workout stamping (LOL). But watching Mrs. Wong use her Misti I see she uses a lighter touch than I was using, so I adapted my style to a lighter touch.
Thanks for the tips! I will try the cement goop and maybe I can prevent further cracking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The one I received in January started cracking within 60 days with limited use and proper care. I did obtain a replacement and that one has been going strong for 4 months with no signs of cracking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Hmmmm..............I was seriously considering purchasing a MISTI..........but in light of all the comments on this thread, I think I'll wait a while and see. I still use my Stamp-a-ma-jig and maybe that will have to do. I am not going to invest $50 in a tool that won't hold up.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

What would I search on youtube to see the repair for the MISTI?

I just ordered mine an hour ago and can't wait to get it!

I made the DIY stamping tool and LOVE it! But, the plastic top's flexibility allows it to bend too much if I'm not careful and if I don't keep it clean, it ruins my project.

I am considering ordering the solvent to have on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Now that I've thought about it, wouldn't a shim under the mat help raise the paper to keep too much pressure from having to be applied to the cover plate? Like maybe three sheets of cardstock cut to size? Perhaps the creator will offer a shim in the future.

I had read there were some issues but my thinking is to get to know the mechanism and learn ways to work around them, like the shim idea above. I just hate having all those acrylic blocks taking up space in my drawers and work area.

I'm a messy stamper...lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I may be wrong but I doubt the cracking of the lid is caused by pressing on the acrylic lid and/or the acrylic bending when you lower it to stamp.

The Letter Press Platform by Life Style Crafts works on the "exact" same principal as the MISTI and that lid is acrylic too . The difference is the Letter Press platform lid lifts on the short end not the long side . I have never read anyone complain that the lid of the letter press platform cracked .

Therefore I wonder the need of using a shim to raise it .

Google Letter Press Platform by Life Style Crafts and you will find videos showing you how that works and it is the same principal as the MISTI
Or if you prefer you can look at a Letter Press platform at Hobby Lobby. They sell them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for sharing. I was thinking of getting one. It is a lot of $$ to me. My crafting budget is small. Hearing of these cracks for several people makes me think twice about getting one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't have any cracks in mine. I've just had it since May. I waited quite awhile to buy it, because it was such a huge chunk of my stamping budget. Then a customer of mine brought hers over for me to try. I bought it within 3 days. And even knowing that cracks may develop, I'd buy it again. I would replace it every 6 months, if I had to.

My MISTI has brought the joy back to stamping for me! My frustration levels are so much lower now that MISTI is in my craft room. Seriously, I'd just buy another one if mine became unusable. I love it that much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Can anybody post pictures of the cracks? I do not want to "bash" this product in any way; it's still something I am considering to purchase. But like others, it's a big chunk of my stamping budget.
I just don't quite understand when people are posting it's cracking "on the sides". Do you mean the hinges are cracking? Or the edge opposite the hinges?
Every video I've seen of it being used shows you lining up your paper in the lower left corner, so the lower left corner of the acrylic lid seems to get the most use as far as where you push down in the actual stamping process.
Are the cracks forming on that lower left corner?
Pictures would be helpful if possible. ��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I purchased mine in February 2015. Haven't used it a lot and wonder how you can tell if this is part of the group that has defects. If it's known that there are defects in a certain group, I think she should notify the people who bought them. Makes me wonder if I'll have problems the more I use it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinbeeView Post
I purchased mine in February 2015. Haven't used it a lot and wonder how you can tell if this is part of the group that has defects. If it's known that there are defects in a certain group, I think she should notify the people who bought them. Makes me wonder if I'll have problems the more I use it!
You mean like having a product recall?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes! This tool is not cheap! I think that would be the right thing to do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Default cracks

This is from the one Iliana replaced. No crack in the replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
MISTI plate cracking?-img_0651.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I searched for videos on how to repair acrylic. Google that and try at your own risk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I'm just guessing that the cracks are caused because the acrylic isn't meant to bend and the bending is causing the cracking. Maybe if the unit was made with a sturdier acrylic that would help to eliminate the cracking.
Quote:

**I don't understand what the cleaner has to do with cracking. Do other cleaners eat through acrylic? I haven't a clue.
I bet that is the reason!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

I meant the first quote, not the second one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

That's all.....
gingered,
I answered your question a couple of days ago.

Alcohol causes cracking and crazing in acrylic. If you have acrylic blocks for cling stamps, when you clean these blocks with Stazon cleaner, windex, 409, Fantastic cleaners, rubbing alcohol, these will craz the acrylic blocks.

It is the Alcohol that does the crazing.

Even using baby wipes with alcohol is not recommend.

There has been many threads here on SCS regarding Alcohol crazing acrylic blocks over the years.

So, if someone uses any of these product on a MISTI to clean ink off, crazing/cracking will appear.

On the site to order a MISTI, there is a warning to use the cleaner the marker recommends.

Personally I do not think regular light touch of pressing an inked image is doing the cracking/crazing. To me the thickness of the arylic on the MISTI looks thick enough.

Back when the first batch of MISTI's were made my the manufacture there was a defect in the arcylic. Maker of MISTI has replace these defective MISTI's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapfever2View Post
[B]

I bet that is the reason!
Sorry, I was replying to Scrapfever
Reply With Quote Likes