Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts
Default What would make you call?

I'm in the process of designing flyers to put on cars in the parking lots of Hobby Lobby, Michael's, JoAnn's, etc., to advertise my organizing services for creative spaces. What information should I include to motivate crafters to call?

(Moderators: if this is too close to being a self-promoting post, my sincere apologies and please remove it...)

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I would add that you 'understand' the crafter's mentality for needing 'stuff' so to help them release their full creative mojo, knowing where everything is and not becoming overwhelmed by their 'stash'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ooo good luck on your venture! I would add a picture of a space you have already done so it gives a visual. It would have to be black and white likely, to be cost effective but if it is clean and not too 'busy' it would be an asset to an advertisement.

And maybe your blog/website address so potential customers can look at your work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be very honest with you, Sue, there's nothing you could put on there that would make me call. Ads put on my car infuriate me-- no one has any business touching my vehicle. The only thing ads placed on my car get is trashed.

I am far more likely to stop and look at your ad on the bulletin board in the grocery store. A big bold title (maybe something like LET ME HELP YOU ORGANIZE) and a picture will catch my eye.

Lots of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the responses, ladies! Emily - I especially want to thank you. Ads on my car irritate me, as well, but I was really struggling to come up with another way to get the word out. I was hoping that some of the stores themselves would have a bulletin board of some type, but the ones in my area don't even have them for the CLASSES they teach! The advertising is all INSIDE the classroom, so - unless you already know that - you don't even know that they TEACH classes! Seems counterproductive to me, but there it is...

If anyone has a brilliant idea of how to "make my own job" doing anything even remotely related to my current skillset, I'm wide open to suggestions! I had no idea that my age (59) and lack of "recent office experience" (I was self-employed for eight years before our move) would keep me unemployed from October until now - it's crunch time!

I do upholstery and sewing and designing and painting (walls, including a few faux finishes, and tole painting) and stamping and organizing and office/clerical/administrative stuff, in case you need a list to refer to - obviously I never figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up, lol...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sue have you been in my room? Its pretty organized but I am still envious of some of the beautiful rooms I see here and nobdy in the cuntry has a stamp cottage of 3300 sq foot like my sweet Texas sis. I just wish all my stuff would fit in kne room!

I pray you find a job you can love.

See ya Saturday. We start around 10am. I will provide lunch.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 05:24 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Thanks for the responses, ladies! Emily - I especially want to thank you. Ads on my car irritate me, as well, but I was really struggling to come up with another way to get the word out.
Maybe you could make up some tri-fold brochures and ask around various places if you could set some out on their counters? Keep some with you, and ask at any place you notice someone ELSE's brochures. I feel like there are lots of restaurants that have stuff out in the lobby-- around here it's mostly apartment rental books, but if it's a busy night, it's always nice to have something to look at while waiting for my table.

You live in Vegas; the only place I know of out there is Viva Las Vegas rubber stamps, but I think I've seen someone else mention a scrapbook store that looks like a house? Maybe they would let you put brochures out there.

If there are any charitable organizations you support, if they ever have silent auctions as fundraisers, consider donating some of your time for a consultation. Maybe something like two free hours, additional time at a promo rate... if you do a really good job, that's how word of mouth spreads.

There's also always the old fashioned way: I think Rubber Stamper Magazine still has classified in the back. I wonder how much that would cost. (I think Scrap N Stamp has them, too.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Boy it really annoys me when people do that. There is such ageism in the country.

What about the LSS or Michaels? It isnt easy to find people with that skillset, esp if you can teach too. And Michaels might actually have a benefits package.

Doesnt Craig's list have a section for services?

Or local papers? (like penny savers) might not charge a lot for ad space.

See about how to get in with Angie's list. You might need to show pictures of your painting or upholstery work.

Look at bulk mail at the PO. Last time I had to do it for work it was remarkably inexpensive to send out thousands of flyers. You can do just "resident" blanket deliveries. I would sure rather get yours than a lot I get.

The laundry mat? The public library? Are there any community centers-esp for seniors? Seriously-a lot of advanced seniors need help with their paperwork if you have the patience...if you can also paint the wall for them or recover that favorite 50 yr old chair...and they like to share info like that!

What about teaching classes at the community center or public school after school? Is there a Y there? They do classes.

And then there is walking away from that list of skills and watching your local civil service jobs test listings...I know the police here have civilians do AA work, a friend just joined up for being a 911 operator a year ago....point is: they CANT discriminate against you for your age. If you pass the test and are on the list and get called-you are in. Whether you will survive the probation period is something else lol. But there would be a bene package...I dont know if you need that or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great suggestions - thank you! Sometimes there's a "forest for the trees" thing that goes on and I'm too close to the issue to see all of the available options, so thanks for pointing some of them out.

I guess I got too comfortable in my network of referrals and resources where I used to live - I'm a fish out of water here! Aside from Amber, I have ONE other friend, and he's a GUY and not very helpful (although a great friend - known him since we were twelve years old).

Anyway - the wheels are spinning a bit more freely now, so thank you to all who've contributed!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Scrappy Do in Henderson may let you. Also, there's a local Scrap Society (google it). Get in with those girls....I met them at the Sweet Retreat this month. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
To be very honest with you, Sue, there's nothing you could put on there that would make me call. Ads put on my car infuriate me-- no one has any business touching my vehicle. The only thing ads placed on my car get is trashed.

I am far more likely to stop and look at your ad on the bulletin board in the grocery store. A big bold title (maybe something like LET ME HELP YOU ORGANIZE) and a picture will catch my eye.

Lots of luck to you.
I totally agree! I toss without reading anything left on my windshield . I consider them unreputable companies. I toss anything left on my door too .
You might give your brochure to a Realtor. I am sure they get sellers with hobby rooms that look the place was trashed by a robber . The Realtor could suggest that the seller hire you to make the house more marketable .

Just a thought
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, realtors and home staging businesses. Craigslist under "household services". Could try your local CTMH/Amuse/SU/FSJ demos to let them know of your services in case they need help organizing for events or have customers who are in need of help. Could try groups that provide services for the elderly, mom's groups...places where people might be too busy to tackle what needs to be done.

I just got a Sears flyer on my car at work. Even if the deals were good, it seemed a very odd way to market appliances while my car was parked at work (nothing to do with Sears products). Annoying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 04:17 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Why don't you take a paperflower instead of just a brochure?
A little bit color that gives a smile?
I don't like people touching my car, too, but I guess if there were a flower I would be okay with it, at least I would take a look at it. If it would be something for my craftingstash, surely I would keep it!

I'm cheap - I don't like to spend money for organizing my stuff. Everything I have (and that's a lot) was for free or nearly for free.
Means if you would tell me (for money, I know...) how I can organize my stuff without spending money for it - you would have a chance.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Sue, are you aware of NAPO? Its the National Association of Professional Organizers. If you would like to do that as a professional, they may offer guidance on getting started. With your clerical experience, and your gift for organizing, this may be the perfect career for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Is there a Welcome Wagon or equivalent there? The local Chamber of Commerce or Information Bureau may send out info packages to newcomers and what better way to start their new home/experience than from a helpful friendly lady like you? In those packages are all kinds of brochures from businesses.

Is there a trade expo? Get a booth for yes, a few dollars, but you can promote all sorts of your talents
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm SO glad I asked the question! Great suggestions all around! I've been on a site called Thumbtack here (similar to Angie's List) and gotten a few organizing jobs through that, but I have to bid on each one and I got burned out on that process, so now I'm working off referrals. I had a job interview this morning that sounds promising, so all of this may be a moot point, after all, but what a bunch of helpful folk you all are!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Sue, check on Craigslist for craft fairs in your area. The Craigslist here has listings like that. I used it to find the shows when I participated in them.

Then you could go to the craft fairs, cruise around in person, stop at the vendors' booths, chat with them and give them flyers about your services.

Plus, it's kind of fun to go to craft fairs, I think.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

How about decorators? Do 55+ communities have community centers? Maybe you could give a talk or small demo or group lessons.
Do be aware that you probably need a permit from the local government and the owner of the shopping center to put flyers on peoples car. Everyone has their hand out.
I also hate flyers that are left on my truck......are you the one that scratched my truck? lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Think about other local businesses where people go - e.g. dry cleaners, grocery, etc. I hired a mural painter for my old house because I saw a flyer in the dry cleaners.

Is there a community facebook page?

Create a website and direct traffic via FB/Twitter/Pinterist/etc.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

And the hits just keep a-comin'! You are all BRILLIANT! Many thanks

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I'm not sure if that service you tried is similar, but what about being a virtual assistant? Or a virtual organizer? So much can be done through pictures and Skype nowadays!
Reply With Quote Likes