Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ever think of packing it all up?

As in, not doing it any more? I always wondered what pushed some ladies into selling everything and getting out of it completely.

I can kind of see why it happens. It takes a lot of money, time and effort to do this hobby. Supplies and classes are expensive and its amazing how much money can get sucked into this.

Ever have thoughts of throwing in the towel and doing something else?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! Often these days. I've been stamping since 2001 and selling cards since 2004. I'm burnt out and feel like relying on stamps hinders my creativitiy sometimes. In my wildest dreams, I'd like to become a watercolor painter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 06:25 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Only every other minute, lol! Then I go make something and enjoy it so much that I wonder what I was thinking...

I don't worry too much about the money aspect because I have enough "stuff" and don't follow trends or take classes, so that's not so much a consideration at this point. I did spend waaaaaay too much before I got to this phase, though (I think as much on organizing/storing as on actual supplies, lol)!

I do tend to cycle, though - lots of creativity, then a long dry spell, then a burst of creativity, then a long dry spell - it depends on what's going on in the rest of my life and whether I've hit burn out (again). The bursts of creativity are why I keep things - what would I do if they were all gone? I have purged things that I know I won't use, though...

I find it completely fascinating that we have as complex of relationships with our hobbies and the things we use with them as we do with our family/friends/acquaintances.

Last edited by gregzgurl; 07-03-2015 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, I have, in fact just yesterday. I went into my spare room/craft room and just
stood there looking at the mess. We just finished redoing the other room so of course everything just got thrown into the craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

What I like about stamping is you can do it well into our older years unlike many other hobbies-and I plan to!

I cant say I have ever heard of someone who just stopped. It was always due to extreme circumstance-illness, etc. Moving can act as a catalyst to clear it out or at least severely pare it back.

Obviously it happens though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No, I never do think that! Sometimes I will go for a month or two and not make cards because life gets in the way, but I never think of getting rid of everything and not doing it.

I have other hobbies, too, and feel the same way about them. I also sew and crochet. Sewing is more of a detailed project and I usually have a special project in mind when I do it. I have quite a few granddaughters, and sew for them, but not all the time. Just because I haven't sewed in a while, I wouldn't dream of selling my sewing machine and my serger. I know I will get back to it when the spirit moves me.

Crocheting is more of an ongoing thing, as it is easy and portable. I usually have something going, like an afghan or potholders, so I can pick it up and continue whenever I want.

The advantage of the supplies for all of these hobbies is that they don't have a "use by" date and don't spoil or go bad, lol. I recently made two darling toddler dresses from fabric that I bought on sale a few years ago and had stashed in one of my plastic storage bins. The same thing goes for paper and yarn.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by glendakView Post
Yes, I have, in fact just yesterday. I went into my spare room/craft room and just
stood there looking at the mess. We just finished redoing the other room so of course everything just got thrown into the craft room.
We are tiling the floor in our dining room, so all my dining room furniture is in my living room (aka craft room). It's lovely. :rolleyes: It's hard to be creative when I'm crammed in a little corner between my desk and a dining room table.

Not trying to hijack this thread with my woes of remodeling. But the mess in my house is definitely interfering with my ability to want to stamp/scrapbook.

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A timely question for me! I haven't exactly "packed it in" as in giving up stamping completely. But I did literally pack away my strictly-stamping supplies into the more inaccessible area of the closet, just two days ago.

Although I still stamp primarily for "work" as a stamp illustrator, I am and always have been (long before cardmaking days) TERRIBLE about sending out cards. Aside from "work stamping," it began to seem pretty pointless to me, personally. I enjoyed the creative aspects and still (obviously) come here - I do enjoy seeing beautifully crafted cards. And I came very close to working on other types of papercrafting besides cardmaking - like paper sculpting and more 3D types of papercrafting to create decorative art vs. cards.

During a purge last year, I came across a very inexpensive clay conditioning (pasta) machine that I picked up at Joanne's long ago, and a couple of packs of polymer clay. I decided that it was use or purge, so started to mess around and watch some online videos. I was hooked. I also discovered metal embossing shortly after that.

It turns out that many of my stamping supplies are crossover and that was a real blessing! I'm so happy that I can still use many of my tools, stamps, etc. That's one reason that I'm not too anxious to just get rid of everything.

But I also realized that illustrations and other artwork, polymer clay and metal embossing are so much more satisfying to me than making cards. I'm not sure I would've been able to transition to it as easily if I hadn't been through the cardmaking phase, and also already had many very useful supplies.

I don't know if I'll ever make cards again just for the pleasure of it, but if the mood strikes, I do have a good supply of stamps, cardstock, and basic tools. Packed up but not forgotten ;) .

(Rereading the original post/question, I can't imagine ever giving it up because of the expense - once you have the basics, I think you can continue in the cardmaking hobby for a long time without it being too costly. Like Sue said, without taking classes or following trends, it can still be very satisfying and a great creative outlet.)

Last edited by Phantom; 07-03-2015 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes I have thought of quiting several times
It is a very expensive hobby that requires a lot of storage space and it is messy to do.

I work at my dinette table . I think I spend more time hauling out and putting away stuff than I spend using them

Had I known how much space and money was needed for this hobby I would not have started it.

I think people who have a dedicated craft room/space or more generous craft budgets as less likely to want to quit.

Yes I have enjoyed making cards but you never miss something you have never done.
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Thank you all for your perspectives. It was an interesting read.

I recently realized that I have so much in tools, dies, stamps, paint, alcohol inks, copics - you name it and I probably have it. I need to do something different with this stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I've never thought of packing it all away. I do have dry spells but I know when creativity starts flowing, everything is still here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I too have had "dry spells", some longer than others. But, I am very glad I never completely dumped it all. When the dh and I retired together last Fall we went south from NH for the winter. I packed up my paper, envelopes and a small amount of stamps and ink and was NEVER so happy to delve into making cards whenever the mood hit. Of course when we were not relaxing at the beach!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Other threads on trends and regrets have me wondering about purging even more... I'm thinking my "new" card style would be CAS and also basically just creating pretty pictures with stamps and various coloring media vs. embellishments.

I'm now considering getting rid of rhinestones (which I used all the time!), ribbon, enamel dots, any brads (don't have many of those now anyway)... gosh, that may be all that I have left. Last to go would probably be washi tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Well, interesting question and great thread. I do have these thoughts when I go to my local stores that have garage sales and wonder if I will be the seller one day and not the buyer. I am definetly more selective at these sales as I have enough!!! But right now I am still drawn to this hobby. It is the only thing that floats my boat. There is always new products coming along that help so much (Misti) and keep things interesting. I think I have a love/hate relationship with card making. This is probably because we really don't have enough room in our apartment and I have a lot of product and don't like the disorganization. I took some card classes from a SU demo around 2009 I think and then bought a lot of items to get started, and now of course I am in too deep, lol........

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

I thought about this for awhile.

Sue did make a very good point about not jumping at every new trend-both for expense and space. Besides a lot of new trends can be accomplished with old stuff-let's face it. It's just they came up with a new gadget to do it and sell us.

Take sponging. Do I really need finger daubers or could I keep using the cheap make up sponges? Do I really need a Misti or could I use the thing-a-ma-jig? (I actually do think I want a misti b/c you can do multiple stampings at once) etc etc.

I get a lot of inspiration here on the gallery-so many styles, etc. Someone just used a plaid stamp for sky, someone else did a cool fold over...I dont need to spend money on classes. I see new ideas (to me) all the time here.

And I save money. I make holiday cards-way cheaper than buying-for me anyway. I make stationary sets as gifts all the time. 6-12 isnt overwhelming and they use it up fast. Bdays, housewarming, thank-yous, xmas, etc etc. At my age and that of many of my friends, useful or transitory (like a box of oranges) is much better. No one wants more "stuff".

Not to mention the money I save on therapy, lawyers and bail. Always an eye to the upside. LOL

When I am in a rut, I have friends come over. Even if I make nothing that day, we yak about stamps and ideas, laugh a lot, and I find afterward I feel much happier and motivated again. And I got to eat pizza.

I still think it beats the heck out of hitting a little ball and walking after it, over and over.
But you didnt hear me say that. (looking over shoulder at DH)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I think if I was doing the same old same old I would've gotten tired of it by now. I also go through dry spells, but then discover some amazing new tool (like the Big Shot was to me last spring) or technique or a new way to use my stash (like mixed-media) and I'm off and running again.

I really have to thank all of the crafters who post to blogs and post YouTube videos with tons of projects and techniques that I find so inspiring. Even though I'm coming off a little year-long buying spree :-) due to all the videos I watch that I want to duplicate, my craft stash is pretty small and I intend to keep it that way. That way, if I ever have to give up this hobby (which I dearly hope I don't) I will feel that I have gotten my money's worth out of all of the items that are so well used. I plan to donate everything if that happens to my local creative reuse center.

Boy that sounds like a will, sorry to bring everybody down LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I think that if I only made cards I would have grown tired/bored with the hobby but I don't think of myself as a "stamper" but more of a paper crafter. As a paper crafter I venture into a wide variety of things to make with a wide variety of products and techniques that keep me interested in daily paper crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I need some potholders!

Annette I would love to,purchase some potholders from you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
No, I never do think that! Sometimes I will go for a month or two and not make cards because life gets in the way, but I never think of getting rid of everything and not doing it.

I have other hobbies, too, and feel the same way about them. I also sew and crochet. Sewing is more of a detailed project and I usually have a special project in mind when I do it. I have quite a few granddaughters, and sew for them, but not all the time. Just because I haven't sewed in a while, I wouldn't dream of selling my sewing machine and my serger. I know I will get back to it when the spirit moves me.

Crocheting is more of an ongoing thing, as it is easy and portable. I usually have something going, like an afghan or potholders, so I can pick it up and continue whenever I want.

The advantage of the supplies for all of these hobbies is that they don't have a "use by" date and don't spoil or go bad, lol. I recently made two darling toddler dresses from fabric that I bought on sale a few years ago and had stashed in one of my plastic storage bins. The same thing goes for paper and yarn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2015, 12:28 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you for that great laugh, Wavejumper. If I looked on this hobby as an alternative to the trouble I might have gotten into otherwise, the guilt might not feel so burdensome. My stamps are my passion! Think of what it costs to have other passions, like for clothes or jewelry or shoes, or horse races or golf or .....men! WHEW! I FEEL BETTER ALREADY.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2015, 03:04 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

Packing it in? Never! Almost daily I get the urge to make something and all the stuff I need is right there. We're moving soon and I will have to pack it all up and I will miss my stuff for a while. Then, in my new stamp room, I will be able to organize everything and feel grateful for the too-much-stuff I have and love.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I never wanted to get into stamping in the first place!! It is the fault of my LSS that got me started years and years ago!! I mean what was the idea of putting those stamps by the front door of her scrapbook store in the first place?? Just so I would have to walk by them every time I went in the store!! I said NO NO NO for several months, then one day BAM I looked!! And bought, and took classes, and joined a month group, then got into the stamp business, then got out of the stamp business, then quit working for the stamp company, then packed all my stamps (yup 1000 and 1000 of $ worth) into boxes, selling on e-bay, stored in closet, given to DIL....... and I am much happier back with my scrapping!! Making cards was fun, I hardly ever mailed any, gave lots away and still have a box full. Now I make a few quick cards for family occasions and scrap my heart out!! Don't miss my stamps very often and then it's only certain ones but not worth putting more money into them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 03:12 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

love reading everyone's thoughts here!

\We downsized and I was really conflicted about our move. I literally packed it all up and gave or sold 95% of my stuff. I was going to have to pay to move it twice and store it so it sort of made sense. Sort of.

I didn't stamp for over a year and then went back to it, thinking I would have a very small stash.

So now I have what many of you would consider a small stash, but since stampers have lost their minds (!!!) I guess I have a lot of stuff.

I love it. I love the hobby so much. So I thought that when I retired I would stamp all the time. Not so. I've learned that when i am not feeling creative or whatever I need to do something else. But the hobby means a lot to me and when my creative juices flow I am so happy!

Having gone through it, my best advice is that when you are feeling like giving it up, clean up the space. Thoroughly. Then walk away and see how you feel.

Wait a few months.

If you decide you don't want to stamp anymore, pack it up and get it out of sight.

Wait a year and if you haven't thought about the stuff, unload it.

I know several folks who left the hobby in order to concentrate on other aspects of their lives and they do not regret it. Others left only to get back in. It's so personal. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 03:59 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I got into a stamping rut, as I call it. I've been stamping for about 15 years. About 4 years ago, I just could not make anything "fun" anymore. So I stopped. I sold a bunch of my old stamps but I kept my favorite ones. Packed them up and just now in the past 2 months, I discovered some new stamp companies and I also discovered watercoloring. I am totally hooked again and I am having fun. I stressed so much about not having fun that for me, I had to give it a rest and then get back into it when "I" was ready not when others told me. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Proud Fan Club Member

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

I cannot imagine my life without my cards ... I had health issues a few years back, and making cards kept me sane. I have fun, I feel creative, my friends love my cards and give me many reasons to continue. It can get expensive, but only if you let it, and being on a pension, I don't let it. The only draw back is when I sold my house and moved into an apartment I went into storage panic!! It does take space, but I love love love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
love reading everyone's thoughts here!

\We downsized and I was really conflicted about our move. I literally packed it all up and gave or sold 95% of my stuff. I was going to have to pay to move it twice and store it so it sort of made sense. Sort of.

I didn't stamp for over a year and then went back to it, thinking I would have a very small stash.

So now I have what many of you would consider a small stash, but since stampers have lost their minds (!!!) I guess I have a lot of stuff.

I love it. I love the hobby so much. So I thought that when I retired I would stamp all the time. Not so. I've learned that when i am not feeling creative or whatever I need to do something else. But the hobby means a lot to me and when my creative juices flow I am so happy!

Having gone through it, my best advice is that when you are feeling like giving it up, clean up the space. Thoroughly. Then walk away and see how you feel.

Wait a few months.

If you decide you don't want to stamp anymore, pack it up and get it out of sight.

Wait a year and if you haven't thought about the stuff, unload it.

I know several folks who left the hobby in order to concentrate on other aspects of their lives and they do not regret it. Others left only to get back in. It's so personal. Good luck!
Joan, Great advise from a person who actually did dump most of her stamping stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Nope....not once! Been at it ten years this coming fall. I don't make tons of cards, maybe one a month.

I attend one SU class still, even tho I'm a demo again. I hold a class once a month with a demo friend.

I also belong to a card club that is part of a local stamp store that meets once a month.

With all these activities I get in plenty of stamp time.

I do sometimes think maybe it's silly to put all this time & $$$$ into something like cards....then I quickly toss that thought aside!

I do make birthdays, Halloween, thanksgiving, & Christmas each year too, and sometimes Easter. If I need a graduation or wedding those too. I never buy a card!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 07-05-2015 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a little update. I am not giving up card making, LOL

Thanks to the OP for posing the question... I've been giving this a lot of thought lately and I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this.

I've made the decision to stick with the less is more philosophy, and that has me more excited about making cards again. I really love the challenge of that concept.

It was the idea of ridding myself of embellishments that really sold me. I am one of those (and I've seen many here on SCS!) who gets stifled by too much stuff.

I sorted through the little I have left of ribbons, twine, washi, and rhinestones (brads are already gone), and the only thing I might use on the cards is the washi. It goes with the one-layer, CAS look, to me. I may still use the handful of embossing folders and dies that I still have. I'm letting go of the rhinestones (a go-to in the past), and packed and labeled the ribbon and twine into 8 x 8 boxes put into a back shelf in the closet for other uses.

"Pure" stamping ;) . I have lots of options for coloring (markers, paints, etc.) and did keep embossing powder - white, clear, black, gold, copper (maybe silver). Layers aren't entirely "out," but scoring and masking will probably be my more 'primitive' choices.

I was so close to giving up on cards altogether, this decision seems like it's opening new doors rather than closing off options. Time will tell .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
Thank you for that great laugh, Wavejumper. If I looked on this hobby as an alternative to the trouble I might have gotten into otherwise, the guilt might not feel so burdensome. My stamps are my passion! Think of what it costs to have other passions, like for clothes or jewelry or shoes, or horse races or golf or .....men! WHEW! I FEEL BETTER ALREADY.

Thanks.
Problem is I do have a passion for clothes, shoes and jewelry too! I'm a bargain hunter tho!

Also, I can't imagine not having card making in my life due to all the friends I've met and hang with them while stamping. It truly adds so much to my life!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 07-05-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 03:57 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Problem is I do have a passion for clothes, shoes and jewelry too! I'm a bargain hunter tho!

Also, I can't imagine not having card making in my life due to all the friends I've met and hang with them while stamping. It truly adds so much to my life!
I am glad to hear you are not bugging out as they used to say in MASH.

Well you could channel that....there are some very nice fashion based stamped images-dresses, shoes, purses...with fun sentiments-could be good! Just sayin! Even I, who has never been a girlie girl, have a few of those. I see them a lot in stationary stores claiming to be handmade when really they are just hand assembled. But they are elegant and obviously people like them.

Stamps dont care what size I am either. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

for me its a seasonal thing. no, I haven't really considered getting rid of all my tools. ( I think of my self as a tool collector) but, I do go through say seasons. It's a very short outdoor season where I live is what it feels like so during the "summer" months I find it short of time to be indoors to play with my toys. and I make a lot more things during the winter months. So, I do go through thinning out times and I just give things away to people mostly around here and mail some boxes to my mom. and just because, it's too nice to be indoors all day it's still very easy to read the buy me buy me emails that come in at night. (so, shopping/collecting) is not a seasonal thing for me lol.
The periodic rearranging and purging keeps space open for new things. and I have done other hobbies over the years and I still use tools and or supplies from all of them making cards or gifts.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 01:41 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I became a hobby demo years ago. I loved it. I would do an occasional workshop here & there but did a lot of demo meetings where we would do a lot of card swaps. After a while, it got to the point where it seemed that all my time & energy went into making card fronts for these demo meetings and it got to the point that I wasn't doing as many personal cards anymore.

Once I started getting aggravated for not being able to have enough time to do Christmas or birthday cards for friends and family and just doing those card fronts for card swaps, I knew it was time to stop.

Unfortunately, instead of shut shutting the door to my craft room and taking a break I sold EVERYTHING. Every last ink pad, piece of cardstock, every tool......everything. At the time there was a country store down the road from me that made handmade furniture and I wanted two cabinets/hutches for my kitchen. Of course I didn't have the money at the time. So I justified selling all of my stamping stuff.

It wasn't until a couple years later that I realized that I truly missed making Christmas cards. So I slowly started rebuilding my stamping stash and signed back up to be a demo (hobby demo). Then when my mom passed away back in November, I inherited all of her stuff. So needless to say my stash is back in full force. I think I actually have more stuff now than I did before. LOL But I'm happy that I'm back in the game even if it is to just make Christmas cards and the occasional birthday or sympathy card. I also use the Project Life SU stuff for my scrapbooks.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that's the kind of "selling off" that worries people - for themselves and their friends.... that they will react to a situation and go all or nothing. Of course, you did get your furniture, and that certainly was a good motivation! The first time I sold off a lot of things, I got new pots and pans and the next time it was Fiesta dishes - it was a good trade-off as I don't even remember what I sold those times, so I sure don't miss any of it!

It's very sad that you lost your mom (I lost mine in 1976). I hope the items she left you bring you joy and that you continue to make what you want to make with no pressure or unnecessary obligations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #33  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never thought of stopping this hobby. As a matter of fact, we moved last year in part so I could have all my stuff in one place and not spread across the two stories of our house, plus garage.

I definitely have space and money... for me time is the issue. I love techniques, tools and staying current with trends (that I like) - so I don't let myself get bored.

I am grateful to hear the experience here to not sell everything at once.... Rather to store things and take time to decide. I'll make note for when/if the urge strikes.

I do think life is too short and we should enjoy our time here. I am glad to hear people who stopped doing demos etc if their heart wasn't in it anymore.

I shared in another thread here recently that I take inspiration from challenges, swaps, community here, taking classes, teaching classes. One gap is sending cards to those I love. I'm wanting to get re inspired on that front.

Kind blessings, Lela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I was totally out for about 7 years, but didn't sell anything. When I decided to start again, I went through every drawer and pulled out anything I would never use. (For some reason I still have the brads.) I sold off embossing powders (except basics), chalks, some ribbon (need to get rid of more), then I went to cardstock, inks, and finally stamps. I got rid of the ones I won't want to use anymore, never used and can't figure out why I bought them, and some that I originally bought as investments. Sold it on ebay and made a ton of money. I am left with plenty still and have started playing with dies and other brands of stamps. I am relearning watercoloring and trying some other techniques. I got out the cricut and have been playing with that also. I am making flowers, layered butterflies and other things. I am also going to do mixed media. I did throw away a ton of old SU paper from the days of one-sided printing. I kept a little for some specific pages. Recycle bin will be crowded.

Having fun again though. Cleaning out was the best thing for me to do.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #35  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Never thought of stopping, not once; quite the opposite for me - I want to gear this baby up LOL. I began stamping and paper crafting in 2002 and feel so blessed that I found this creative pastime because (at the risk of sounding corny) it truly brings me great bliss and joy.

While I am still in the workforce, I am stocking up on things that have a long shelf life and that I love to use in my artwork. This is in preparation for that long-awaited day when I am able to retire at which point I will have finite resources and lots of time and the physical ability to create (the good Lord willing).

Currently I join swaps on SCS to keep creating and recently I FINALLY started my first mixed media journal and I am really enjoying that.

I've dabbled in jewelry making, soldering, polymer clay and metal clay and after I retire I would like to dive deeper in those areas as well as in the mixed media arena.

One thing that I did recently to keep on track with my purchases being for retirement is to opt out/unsubscribe from all emails from stamping/art/scrapbooking etc. companies so that I am not tempted to impulse buy and it is making a big difference for me.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 07-06-2015 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Today is THE Day

If there are other oldsters (80's)here you will know how hard it is to prepare for the inevitable day when your kids, and maybe your husband too, will open your cupboards and drawers of stuff and freak out....what the heck is a Cuttlebug for and why didn't she even unbox that Cricut Expressions 2 we gave her three Christmases ago, and ribbon?, I never saw a piece of ribbon on a card she made, why has she got boxes and boxes and boxes of the stuff? and what is this plastic thing with 4 orange sponge feet on it, and Holy Cats why all these ink pads, why 18 colors of blue? Do you remember her ever using blue on a card you saw?

The guilt picturing that scene has gotten to me, so five minutes from now I am posting 3 lots of Christmas stamps and dies on the Sell Forum here, the beginnings of down-sizing my STUFF so the coroner doesn't write "guilt" as my cause of death.

I LOVE every stamp and every die and I am truly shocked I am putting them "on the market". But I am more shocked that I spent this much money on something we could not eat or sit/sleep on or wear! BAAAAAAD BAHB! When I am done down-sizing, I will still have enough stuff to quench my creativity thirst every day until I am gone.

Many of the stamps and dies were never used, but I thought for sure I would need them some day. I have to be realistic....how many Christmases are in my future?

Ancient Age is WONDERFUL, but there is a little blip like this one now and then that will all feel better when I ship off the boxes to stampers who will give the stuff love.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

I have to admit-I hear that Bahb....having heard so many horror stories from estate executives (which sounds very fancy but is usually some regular person who has a life already-or the grieving family)....my step mom passed abt 3 weeks ago and a professional elder assistant is her exec and still crunched for time with what little she had in a tiny place at assisted living...I am very grateful though to be spared that job.

Lord knows someone outside the hobby would have no idea how much the stuff is worth. I have a nightmare where they sell off my stamps for 50 cents apiece...

I started making lists. My silk scarves are to be picked over by X. and so on. I am already downsizing other stuff in the house. Those hoarding shows SO creep me out-If I see 5 mins of one, I turn into crazy purger person. (I am not quite as old as you either)

So my stash will be pored over by my stamping friends first and then I have directed to hire someone to ebay the rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 05:29 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Bahb, your post made me laugh! Death by guilt...I hear ya!

My sister is a quilter and seamstress, and she has told me "If I die suddenly, go into my craft room and take all of my fabric before my husband sees how much I bought!" LOL

To the OP, yes...on many occasions I have thought of doing the same. As a matter of fact, if you put this topic in the general forum thread search, you'll probably find one that I started a few years back when I was in the same position as you.

I had reached a saturation point of burnout, after fifteen years of paper crafting, six or seven of those years as an SU demo when I bought stuff that I didn't need "just in case".

And then stampers like Joan and Susan (LateBlossom) inspired me to sell off what I didn't want any more to make room (and money) for what I did want. Over the last four or five years, I've sold off over 300 wood mounted stamp sets. Recently, I sold off over 1500 sheets of SU card stock and all of my 50 plus SU ink pads that I wasn't using any more. I have pared down my stash a LOT, and every year I take a hard look at what I'm not using and either sell it at a garage sale or donate it.

I really like my cleaner, more organized space now. Consequently, I think hard about all purchases and do not jump on trends quickly. I haven't gone totally KonMari on my craft room yet (has anyone else read the Marie Kondo book " The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up"?), but I do look at a lot of things and stuff I have and ask myself "Is this thing bringing me joy?"

More joy, less stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

The thing that changed it all for me was a quote from Danielle LaPorte: "You're giving sacred space to things that aren't sacred to you." "Sacred" might be an overstatement in our attachments to our tools and stamps and stuff, but it still made me really think about all of it in a new way. I think Mary Rose's "Is this bringing me joy?" is more in line with the actual thought process, and a very good gauge. TOO MUCH does not increase my creativity - it freezes me in my tracks, unable to choose - so less IS more where I live! I've got a daughter just starting out in this hobby (and she loves it), so I'm gifting her a ton of stuff, even though I did a HUGE purge last year! I've been going through the stamps and punches that made it through the last purge and finding more that can go out into the "flow". Like Mary Rose said, "More joy, less stuff"...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 357 Likes on 197 Posts

I, too, share the same mindset as Mary Rose and Sue! WooHoo! I'm in GOOD company!!
I am still a work in process, but I think it is an ongoing process-not one that is ever finished.
Less IS more! I read somewhere that "stuff" that takes up valuable real estate in your home and life should 1) have a function and be used; 2) be something you LOVE; and/or 3) bring you joy in your life.
Acknowledge that you are OVER some things - your interest/life has changed. You have moved on and so should those items.
Reply With Quote Likes