View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #46
Jo Ann F.
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you all for sharing your stories.

Like some of you, I backed into my creative side. When I was growing up, I was the “practical”, mathematical one. My sister was the "creative one.” I studied math in college, and worked as a financial analyst. After my first child was born, I chose to be a full time mother. In looking through the catalog for the local community college, I noticed a class in calligraphy that said, “No artistic talent needed.” I thought, “that sounds like me,” so I signed up for Saturday morning classes while my husband watched our daughter. As luck would have it, I had a great teacher, who whispered to me one day: “You know, you really are much better at this than anyone else here.” What a compliment! I really felt like calligraphy was a gift from God to me, wrapped up in a beautiful box. I continued with classes, and as my family grew, my calligraphy time became limited. I also never really got over my lack of confidence in my drawing ability, so I started using rubber stamps to illustrate my calligraphy. My stamp collection grew and grew, and I love being able to brighten people's lives through cardmaking.

SCS is a wonderful community and even though I could walk past you on the street because we never met in person, I feel bonded to you through love of stamping and sharing our talents with other people.My calligraphy teacher taught me more than just lettering - the power of a sincere compliment, and I remember and honor her by writing comments in the galleries.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!