Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staz-On ink and photopolymer stamps? Have searched and searched!lol

Hi...my day for asking questions and not just gleaning all the wonderful info here!

Please...I am just getting started and have a lot of acetate and a lot of vellum. I especially LOVE the look of vellum and really like window cards as well.

Who am I kidding! I like/LOVE it ALL!! LOLOL.

So I bought a lot of Staz-on knowing it was great for these. I was also buying up stamps galore as well...most of my favs are photopolymer (although I do have red rubber and some clear).

I had all these plans to use the Staz-On with my photopolymer stamps on vellum mostly...and some acetate as well.

Is it OK to do? If so..the bigger question is:

Has anyone figured out a SAFE way to clean these stamps if using stazon?
I do not like stained stamps, especially since most of the ones I bought are the triple stamp type etc. and you must see through them to position correctly.

Sorry for the long question, I want to get started with a project, but don't want to ruin my photopolymers :/.
Thank you!
Sherri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In my experience, it's always more difficult to clean clear stamps. They stain really easily with other kinds of ink, not just Stazon.

I'm lucky that I'm not bothered by staining, and in fact, it makes it easier in my opinion, to see the actual stamp when it's a little stained.

Good luck, and I hope someone can answer your cleaning question.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks buggainok! (thanks for the glue answers also!). I know...I just looove some of them so much and can't wait to start learning how to use them! I have 5-6 sets of the *multi-stamping* ones and a bunch of other clear ones.

But so far after many many internet searches I have not found a response and will play it safe and not use it on my clear ones until I have stamped enough with them to know how to place them lol.

Oh, well, I do have the MISTI, maybe I can figure out how to use them with that LOL
I have a lot of wonderful toys and supplies! I am blessed I know so want to take care of them

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 05:46 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I've used both Staz On and Staz On remover with my clear stamps for years, and I haven't had any issues at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Stazon ink & photopolymer stamps

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I've used both Staz On and Staz On remover with my clear stamps for years, and I haven't had any issues at all.
Thank you. I loaned a new & expensive set to a friend & she used Stazon ink but did not have cleaner. Now I have to buy cleaner for my stamps. I was worried about using on the photopolymer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Staz-on is fine for clear stamps, even if they get stained it won't effect how they stamp. The cleaner can help but might not completely remove the stains. Just try not to get the Staz-On cleaner on your clear acrylic blocks, it can cause cloudiness and cracking.

I've also been using it for many years on clear stamps and they still work fine.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 02:02 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am a acetate and vellum fan too. I stamp so much with acetate I buy it in bulk like cardstock.

Yes, you can stamp with StazOn and clean with the StazOn cleaner. I always give my clear/photopolymer stamps a light wash with baby shampoo after I use the StazOn. I have been doing this for years.

It does stain. StazOn will always stain. I know some stamper's it's their favorite way to prime their stamps.

If it helps any I am fussy about keeping my art tools clean and maintained. Stamping I have learned a stained stamp is a loved stamp. A lot of times over cleaning hurts the stamps. Stamps like being dirty.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 03:35 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd second what DeeAnnsays about washing stamps after using Staz-On cleaner on them, as many companies do not recommend you use it on their clear stamps.

I can say that Hand Sanitiser will remove Staz-On, and TH recommends it for cleaning the Stamp Platform, so thats another possible, although again, I'd wash afterwards.
If you look at what Staz-On cleaner does to acrylic blocks, you can see why there may be some concern.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Shaz...I have clouding on some of my blocks just like you do, but I know it is from a different source, and I know the source. It's not Stazon because I haven't used it in forever!

I have, at times, left a polymer stamp sitting on my block for some time. I've cleaned it with water and haven't put it away yet. When I take it off the block, my block is cloudy. This has happened different times with different stamps and different blocks.

Then I have one block that has a spot that isn't really cloudy, but it appears that something "ate into" the acrylic. It's still clear (not cloudy) but not clear (what's underneath is blurry). I can see the outline of the stamp that was on there...and it is a rubber stamp on EZ Mount.

Now, this evidence is anecdotal. I don't know what the actual cause is, but I do know that the only thing I did was leave the stamps on the block for a much longer time than just one stamping session. No chemical cleaning on any of them. So...
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Cover your eyes if you don't like stamp abuse because I am going to admit to something. I cleaned a clear stamp with rubbing alcohol one time. It was just one time & I gave her a good wash. I used StazOn & I didn't have the cleaner. That's my shameful excuse, lol. My stamp is still ok and it's one of my favorites so I use it all the time.

I do clean rubber stamps with alcohol and give them a good wash and lovely coating of glycerin. I know the NO-NO alcohol rule with clear stamps. Desperate times, lol.

Shaz's hand sanitizer trick would work. I do clean my platform with hand sanitizer. I also clean it with StazOn too. I wash it afterwards with baby shampoo.

I have been blessed with no cloudiness on my blocks or platform from StazOn cleaner. Now, I am paranoid, lol. I do wash everything after I use it. That stuff is just toxic smell. Yuck!

What killed my blocks was Simple Green. I don't know what I did wrong. I have never heard mention of it happening to anyone else. My blocks were destroyed.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2019, 02:53 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Diane, yes I've had it happen from Easy Mount/ Klingon too, as well as from Pigment ink, I believe,as I can clearly see the words! Used on the acrylic block from my old stamp positioner, so possibly a different type of acrylic.
I have seen it said that Staz-on cleaner will damage block, and start to cause crazing in them, so have assumed thats what caused it, as I know in the past I used it a lot of unmounted rubber stamps on the blocks. Maybe a number of potential causes then, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2019, 03:47 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Shaz...I have clouding on some of my blocks just like you do, but I know it is from a different source, and I know the source. It's not Stazon because I haven't used it in forever!

I have, at times, left a polymer stamp sitting on my block for some time. I've cleaned it with water and haven't put it away yet. When I take it off the block, my block is cloudy. This has happened different times with different stamps and different blocks.

Then I have one block that has a spot that isn't really cloudy, but it appears that something "ate into" the acrylic. It's still clear (not cloudy) but not clear (what's underneath is blurry). I can see the outline of the stamp that was on there...and it is a rubber stamp on EZ Mount.

Now, this evidence is anecdotal. I don't know what the actual cause is, but I do know that the only thing I did was leave the stamps on the block for a much longer time than just one stamping session. No chemical cleaning on any of them. So...

I think you're on to something here. I had to throw out dozens of CD cases because the TIO&O "ate into" them and clouded them where the stamps were stored. The cloudy spots were also rough and somewhat grainy, and nothing would stick to them anymore. Yes, I definitely believe that the adhesive has something to do with the deterioration of the plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

What killed my blocks was Simple Green. I don't know what I did wrong. I have never heard mention of it happening to anyone else. My blocks were destroyed.

Interesting! I'm going to have to pay attention to that, because I do have Simple Green in the house, and have occasionally used it to clean stubborn "stuff" on rubber...like dried up versamark.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes