Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Question about Misti and bare rubber

Congrats on joining the SCS forum!!! I've been drooling over the Misti since Lydia started playing with hers. I've held off on buying one because I use mostly bare rubber now in my stamping.

I love using the Tack 'n Peel (Tsukineko Tack 'N Peel - Ellen Hutson LLC) on a few dedicated clear blocks. This is a thin silicone-like sheet that is adhered to a clear block and the other side is tacky so you can stick bare rubber stamps to it, stamp, and the peel the stamp off when you are done. You replace the clear liner over the tacky sheet when you are not using it.

Soooo....... my question is....... would I be able to stick this Tack 'n Peel onto the Misti and leave it there? Or would the thickness of this sheet somehow ruin the integrity of the Misti tool?

BTW - I'd have to buy two Misti tools. One for clear and cling stamps, and one for the bare rubber if I can dedicate one with the Tack 'n Peel. :-)

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hey Holly!

I used to love Tack 'n Peel - would the side that would stick to the lid have adhesive on it? Or is it purely cling? That's actually a good idea.

Bare rubber is about the same depth as photopolymer so it wouldn't work any differently - you'd just take out the foam insert and you'd be all set.

I have a lot of bare rubber too that I would love to use with mine. I've actually thought if I went the unmounting route, I'd go bare instead of cling. It would be so much easier. Hmmm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'm pretty sure the side that sticks to the blocks/Misti lid is adhesive. I've never tried to peel it off my blocks - it's stuck on there good. LOL

I'm just thinking that when I go to close the lid after I'm done stamping, it wouldn't close all the way because of the Tack 'n Peel sheet... would that warp the Misti? Or move the hinges somehow so they don't work properly after a while?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

BTW - I just wanna leave the Tack 'n Peel on the Misti. I don't want to have to peel it off and put it on every time I use it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #5  

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbrownView Post
I'm pretty sure the side that sticks to the blocks/Misti lid is adhesive. I've never tried to peel it off my blocks - it's stuck on there good. LOL

I'm just thinking that when I go to close the lid after I'm done stamping, it wouldn't close all the way because of the Tack 'n Peel sheet... would that warp the Misti? Or move the hinges somehow so they don't work properly after a while?

I don't think so - it's pretty thin - I think jeaniebeanie put a piece of cling vinyl on the inside of her lid. You would just trim it so that it's not on the part with the rulers, KWIM? Just the opening - wouldn't interfere with closing at all.

I'd contact them and ask them if their adhesive is safe for acrylic. I'm inclined to think it is since it's been on some of my acrylic blocks for years
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #6  

Tsukineko's customer service is great - I'm sure you'd get an answer fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 07:16 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't tried it myself, but I don't think the tack 'n peel would hurt the hinges.

Personally, it would be more cost effective to get a second MISTI instead of all the EZ Mount!

But I know that when the tack 'n peel gets dirty you can run the whole block (with tack 'n peel still attached) under water and clean it. I'm not sure how I would clean a tack 'n peel that is stuck on a MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by amritaView Post
I haven't tried it myself, but I don't think the tack 'n peel would hurt the hinges.

Personally, it would be more cost effective to get a second MISTI instead of all the EZ Mount!

But I know that when the tack 'n peel gets dirty you can run the whole block (with tack 'n peel still attached) under water and clean it. I'm not sure how I would clean a tack 'n peel that is stuck on a MISTI.
Hmmmmmmmmm interesting question - how to clean the Tack 'n Peel while it is still on the MISTI......

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #9  

Have you tried tack it over and over? (Aleene's)? That's great on bare rubber - I think a lot of people actually just use Tombow Mono Multi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I have used Tack It Over and Over and I really didn't like it. It's such a mess. The glue actually turned brown and gummy and left "stuff" all over my blocks.

I love Tombow Mono Multi - use that for all my projects! But it's so sticky and when I would want to clean my blocks, you can't get that stuff off.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I just started unmounting my red rubber from the cushions we permanently put on acrylic and I've had great success of the sticking to the vinyl piece I put on the inside cover to protect it from Stazon or other messy things I do! I use nothing on the backs and continue to be amazed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #12  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShariWView Post
I just started unmounting my red rubber from the cushions we permanently put on acrylic and I've had great success of the sticking to the vinyl piece I put on the inside cover to protect it from Stazon or other messy things I do! I use nothing on the backs and continue to be amazed!

That is awesome - I'm going to try that today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I unmounted all my wood stamps years ago. I first started using the cling foam on them and then switched to bare rubber with Aleene's Tack It Over and Over on the back. I actually first take a Sharpie marker and write the stamp company and stamp name on the back of the rubber before painting on the glue with a foam brush.

The key with the Tack It Over and Over is to use a very thin coating. You need to brush on the thinnest coating you can. I believe I even thinned mine with water at times. I used one of those flat foam brushes. If you put too thick a coating on, it does get all gummy and messy. A thin coating though makes it tacky, but it doesn't peel off or leave a residue behind on your blocks.

Any yes, I've tried bare rubber with Aleene's with my MISTI and it works just great! I left the black foam insert in the MISTI like I was stamping with clear stamps. And you may need a couple of paper shims depending on how deeply etched your bare rubber is. My rubber stamps vary significantly in thickness from company to company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Lydia - I emailed Tsukineko a couple hours ago - no response yet. It might be bedtime over there right now, so it may take a while. :-)

tersa - Can you believe I have 3.5 bottles of Tack It Over and Over? LOL I thought I was going to use it all the time so I bought 4 all at once. I dunked a brush into the bottle and painted the backs of a bunch of stamps, left them out to dry overnight. They worked, but I got that brown, gummy mess and when I would peel the stamps off the blocks, the glue would come off the stamps and stick on the blocks. It was a pain to clean the blocks off.

I suppose I should try again and thin them with water. I'm just lazy and I want a quick and easy solution such as the Tack 'n Peel. LOL!

Hmmmmmm what would happen if I painted one MISTI with the Tack It Over and Over? Would that ruin anything on the MISTI?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Are you saying that you covered your inside MISTI lid with a piece of vinyl and it sticks to bare rubber? Please let me know where you found vinyl that will do that. TIA Thanks In Advance
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=16494

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Subbing for research purposes before I "take the plunge" and "go bare"!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Tack n' Peel on Vinyl? What if you put a sheet of vinyl on the inside of the MISTI and then placed TNP on the vinyl? That way you could easily remove the vinyl from the MISTI and the TNP would stay adhered to the vinyl. I'm going to see if this works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlcarlsenView Post
Tack n' Peel on Vinyl? What if you put a sheet of vinyl on the inside of the MISTI and then placed TNP on the vinyl? That way you could easily remove the vinyl from the MISTI and the TNP would stay adhered to the vinyl. I'm going to see if this works.
Hey!!!!!!!! Fabulous idea! Let us know if it works!!!

So where do I get vinyl?? I have never shopped for vinyl before.....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

It works! Before using a full sheet of TNP, I tried a piece about 1.5 x 2.5 inches. I adhered the TNP to the vinyl and then placed the vinyl on the inside of the MISTI cover. Bare rubber stamps then will cling to the TNP which is on the vinyl. When finished, cover the TNP with the protective covering and just remove the vinyl from the MISTI. I figure it will take 2 sheets of the TNP to cover the inside of the MISTI (with some minor trimming) so will have to go buy more TNP. Just cut the vinyl to the size of the inside of the MISTI and then cover it with TNP. I am EXCITED!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

I purchased a 50 sheet pack of vinyl from Amazon for about $25. You can buy it in packs of 9 sheets (9x12) as well. Craft stores should also carry it. Here's the URL.
http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-9-Inch-...ar+vinyl+sheet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #21  

OMG you're a genius!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsAngottiView Post
Subbing for research purposes before I "take the plunge" and "go bare"!!!

LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

UPDATE! My husband is learning his way around MISTI and we are unmounting the stamps that are permanently on acrylic from many years ago! Well so far everything has been super wonderful until the little tool set from SU. Some of them wouldn't stick - so I used a smidgen of Tombow removable adhesive and it worked great - but did leave behind some of the glue on the vinyl that I have on the lid. So it still works but not every stamp will stick and temporary adhesive works.

Just an aside - I am so glad this does work as we've invested so much in remounting stamps onto the foam that has permanent glue on the back (YEARS AGO WE DID THIS) and to invest in more things to try just isn't a possibility. I have well over 3000 stamps and about half of them are not Clear Mount, polymer or remounted on EZ Mount. I also know that a piece of double-sided tape works really well.

Sorry for this long update! Happy creating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

It works! Before using a full sheet of TNP, I tried a piece about 1.5 x 2.5 inches. I adhered the TNP to the vinyl and then placed the vinyl on the inside of the MISTI cover. Bare rubber stamps then will cling to the TNP which is on the vinyl. When finished, cover the TNP with the protective covering and just remove the vinyl from the MISTI. I figure it will take 2 sheets of the TNP to cover the inside of the MISTI (with some minor trimming) so will have to go buy more TNP. Just cut the vinyl to the size of the inside of the MISTI and then cover it with TNP. I am EXCITED!
AWESOME!!!! Thank you for trying it out for us and reporting back!!! Ooooohhhhhhhhhh! Time to shop for a MISTI and some vinyl!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Have you tried tack it over and over? (Aleene's)? That's great on bare rubber - I think a lot of people actually just use Tombow Mono Multi
I have used Aileens Tack It Over and Over for years. The stamps work perfectly in the MISTI with the foam removed. Some red rubber stamps are various depths, and I sometimes add CS shim under my card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 05:55 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

I have used Tack It Over and Over and I really didn't like it. It's such a mess. The glue actually turned brown and gummy and left "stuff" all over my blocks.

I love Tombow Mono Multi - use that for all my projects! But it's so sticky and when I would want to clean my blocks, you can't get that stuff off.
Wow I butter the back of my red rubber with Aileens TIOO and have not had this problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

The Tack it Over and Over only does this if you put too much on the stamp. Just use a thin layer and it will be nice and sticky without leaving any residue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

I'm subbing to this thread too, I have quite a bit of bare red rubber that isn't getting any love these days. I used to just add a tiny bit of my Scotch adhesive to my acrylic block and slap the rubber on there when I wanted to stamp, but I want to figure out how to use the stamps with the MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #29  
Inking Addict

Diane, refer to post #17 and #19. Tack N' Peel adhered to a vinyl sheet placed on the inside cover of the MISTI works well with bare rubber. The TNP offers just the tiniest bit of cushion for the rubber. The vinyl can then be removed and stored with the TNP left on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I purchased a 50 sheet pack of vinyl from Amazon for about $25. You can buy it in packs of 9 sheets (9x12) as well. Craft stores should also carry it. Here's the URL.
http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-9-Inch-...ar+vinyl+sheet
Does this vinyl come in clear? The link takes you to vinyl that is white.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Ignore my question - I found it in clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Diane, refer to post #17 and #19. Tack N' Peel adhered to a vinyl sheet placed on the inside cover of the MISTI works well with bare rubber. The TNP offers just the tiniest bit of cushion for the rubber. The vinyl can then be removed and stored with the TNP left on.
OK, so I think I understand the process here, although I've never worked with TNP. One question, what do you do with vinyl sheet when you take it off, how do you store it? And is it easy to put it back on each time, as in lining it up on the MISTI cover?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

I put my vinyl back on the sheet it came on and then store it inside a cut-to-size file folder. Be sure you put the protective sheet back on the TNP. Marsha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I put my vinyl back on the sheet it came on and then store it inside a cut-to-size file folder. Be sure you put the protective sheet back on the TNP. Marsha
Thanks, Marsha! I'll be near a Joanne's tomorrow and will look to see if they have vinyl and TNP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Mlcsrlsen you are a Genius! I had a small piece of TackNPeel and also a small piece of clear cling vinyl, so I made about a 4"x5" piece to go on my MISTI. It works great! I have a pile of EZMount here and was going to laboriously remount a ton of SU sets, but I'm rethinking that now. This small piece will work for about 95% of my stamps--I've already remounted most of the background stamps. Thanks so much for the idea!

Cyndie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

What do you do with the wood pieces when you unmount the stamps? I hate to throw it away, thinking if I ever sell the stamp the next owner might want the option of putting the stamp back on it. But I hate storing all the wood--which is why I unmounted them in the first place. At least, I can store the wood out in the garage.
If only our craft rm would continue to grow as we keep buying more stuff to store in it!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

cricutgma - I know several people who have turned the wood blocks into works of art. Some people paint them and add letters to spell out holidays, some people stamp/paint/watercolor them, seal them, and display them. I think there was one gal who turned them into alphabet blocks for her baby to play with and learn.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

I've got my cling vinyl, and just waiting for my TnP to show up to use my unmounted rubber with my MISTI. Thank you so much for coming up with this idea, just more ways to use this terrific tool!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

lovetostamp3 - where did you get your clear cling vinyl? I was hoping to find some place that just sold 1 or 5 in a package, not 25 or 50.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #40  
Glitter Queen

I bought a piece of vinyl today at Joann's. I paid 1.11 for it. Just had them cut an 8" piece.
Reply With Quote Likes