Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simon Says Stamp monthly card kit

So I've decided to start a thread on this topic to see if anyone else subscribes to these. I've been subbing for almost a year now, and I LOVE them! Years ago when I was a scrapper I used to sub to many monthly scrapbook kits, they were super popular back then and there were many to choose from. Seems there have never been quite as many monthly card kit clubs to choose from.

What I love about getting a kit is that everything is coordinated for me, I get to sample a little bit of several new products that I probably would not have bought otherwise, and if the company provides inspiration to go along with the kit (which SSS definitely does, they have some very talented ladies on their DT), then I'm all in and happy as a pig in mud I can see why some people might not like a sub like this because you might not love a particular month and not use the kit. I can say that since I've been getting the SSS kits the ONLY kit I haven't even used yet is the one from Sept. 2014, it was a school/book themed kit and it didn't "speak" to me (although now that I've seen some videos were folks used their MISTI with the stamps in this kit I'm more excited to give it a try). I figure if there's a kit I don't like at all i can always sell it, but I've been really impressed with how much I've liked the SSS kits since I've been receiving them. Part of that is because I tend to really like their stamps in general, and I love that we've received dies in some of the kits.

Anyway, I'm anxiously waiting for the April kit to show up in my mailbox (possibly today?) The kraft and gold paper in this months kit looks beautiful, can't wait to see it in person. Plus it's a birthday themed stamp set and since I make mostly birthday cards I'm always happy for new birthday stamps

Anyone else get this kit? Thoughts on stamp kits in general, and does anyone know of any other kits out there? I've subbed to a few other stamp clubs in the past, The Stamps of Life (like their stamps but I'm looking for a fuller stamp kit with more products in it), Unity Stamp kit club (again, love their stamps although I'm more into clear stamps these days because I'm extremely limited with space and the cling rubber takes up more room), and Club Scrap stamp kit (I used to be a HUGE Club Scrap fan but my tastes have changed a bit from their style). There was one other I used to get, the owner's name was Cassondra but I can't for the life of me remember the name of her kit club. i Remember that kit being really nice, although I don't think it included stamps, which is a must for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never been a part of a monthly kit club but I did purchase this months kit! I've not received it yet but am excited to get it! I've been on the fence for quite a while so I was happy to read your thoughts! If I like this kit as much as you I do plan to sign up monthly. The price seems reasonable to me and I like the variety of new products to try out. I am a lot more cautious these days on what I purchase, trying to only go for things I think I will really like to use (sequins anyone, LOVE THEM! :mrgreen: )
It's so good to see you Diane, I haven't seen you in forever!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMcAreeView Post
I've never been a part of a monthly kit club but I did purchase this months kit! I've not received it yet but am excited to get it! I've been on the fence for quite a while so I was happy to read your thoughts! If I like this kit as much as you I do plan to sign up monthly. The price seems reasonable to me and I like the variety of new products to try out. I am a lot more cautious these days on what I purchase, trying to only go for things I think I will really like to use (sequins anyone, LOVE THEM! :mrgreen: )
It's so good to see you Diane, I haven't seen you in forever!
Hii Lori, good to see you too! I think you'll love the kit! I know you can purchase them individually each month and not sub, but I like saving that extra bit of money you save by subbing, you're almost getting your shipping for free by doing it that way.

I always end up making TONS of cards with the supplies I get in the kit each month. We usually get 5 sheets of card stock in each kit, which is enough to make 10 A2 cards, but since we get so much patterned paper too I always end up using some of my own card stock to use up as many of the kit expendables as I can. So some months I probably end up with at least 16/18 finished cards. Then you have the stamp set (and dies if they're included), to keep forever. That's quite a value in my book. I always tell my husband that if we have to go on a tighter budget and I can only make one crafty purchase per month (God forbid lol!), I will want to keep getting the SSS card kit. It brings me a lot of joy each month
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

I'm so excited, I got a shipping notice! :mrgreen:
I agree, that is a great value and you are making a lot of cards!
Silly question, now that I've ordered once am I automatically going to get the kit or do I go someplace special to sign up?

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Never mind, I finally found the answer to my question, I looked and looked and looked :rolleyes:
Obviously not good enough!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I am always perusing the various subscriptions out there for card making but can't quite justify the cost. If you at least want to try out a kit for size, sign up for notices from Studio Calico. They have had two awesome sales in the last 4 months and I have bought multiple full price kits on clearance for $10 each. I was thrilled with the first two and have waited for another clearance, which happened last weekend. Their kits sell out fast so you do have to get in and buy asap. I was able to secure two more fun kits to play with, Cannot wait to get them. I was just about ready to pull the trigger on the SSS kit this month when the email came announcing the sale. I love SSS and am sure when I do purchase one of their kits I will love it too. Studio Calico has a mix of card making products including stamps and sometimes dies. I personally don't need the alphabet stickers that they include, to me that is more of a scrapper's embellishment, but other than that I love everything I receive! My two favorite card kits are SSS and Studio Calico. Are there any other's I am missing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Lori, glad you found the subscription link, I know it's a different place you have to sign up for a one time purchase or the sub. My kit came in the mail today btw!! I haven't had time to open it up yet, I've been super busy today, but I'm going to look at it tonight

Zineth, I've heard of Studio Calico, a few of the bloggers I subscribe to are DT members so I see the kits that way sometimes. Once or twice I've clicked on their link but it always says the kits are sold out. I'll have to go and check out their website again and investigate things a bit more closely ;) I agree about the alphabet stickers being more for scrapping, I used to have a TON of alpha stickers but gave most of them away to a neighbor who's just beginning to scrap. I'll use them occasionally on a card, but not often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been a subscriber twice. I just dropped my subscription again this month. It was a good deal at $19.95 (I think) when I first subscribed but at another $5, it's no longer a good value for me. I was getting stuff I wouldn't use or didn't like. Now if I want the stamp set, I'll order it separately.

I dropped Studio Calico for much the same reason. Didn't like the stamp sets or wouldn't use what was in the kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love the Simon kit. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 years. And I've just received my first Stamps of Life kit too. The one that I'm really thinking of dropping is Paper Pumpkin from Stampin Up. I dropped it once, but then got sucked back in when they promised better kits. I've hated a few of them. (October I think with the wedge boxes and pompoms). Good thing I know a young girl who is a krafter, she gets those.

But the Simon kit and Stamps of Life work will with my card making needs. When I want to stretch myself and and use new or more time consuming techniques, I reach for Simon. Their design team does a great job.

I think I'll use the Stamps of Life more when I want to just crank out some cards. I like their design team work too. It's not as technique heavy and that's perfect for me sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkaymacView Post
I love the Simon kit. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 years. And I've just received my first Stamps of Life kit too. The one that I'm really thinking of dropping is Paper Pumpkin from Stampin Up. I dropped it once, but then got sucked back in when they promised better kits. I've hated a few of them. (October I think with the wedge boxes and pompoms). Good thing I know a young girl who is a krafter, she gets those.

But the Simon kit and Stamps of Life work will with my card making needs. When I want to stretch myself and and use new or more time consuming techniques, I reach for Simon. Their design team does a great job.

I think I'll use the Stamps of Life more when I want to just crank out some cards. I like their design team work too. It's not as technique heavy and that's perfect for me sometimes.
Haven't heard of Paper Pumpkin, but then I haven't bought any SU for several years (I don't know anyone who sells it). When I was getting the Stamps of Life it was when they first started, it was just the stamp set that they sent each month (and very reasonably priced for subscribers!) Now it looks like they have dies (and possibly other things, haven't checked them recently). I used to love watching the owners videos, she's so funny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

The kraft and gold paper is really GORGEOUS IRL, prettier than it looks on a computer screen for sure! The washi tape in this kit is really pretty too. I can't wait to start creating with this kit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just tried one. I got the one with Authentique Beauty and I did not feel it was worth the money. Perhaps its because I have so much stuff already that it just didnt seem like a bargain. It might be perfect for others just not for me. I do love the Authentique paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 05:54 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I just tried one. I got the one with Authentique Beauty and I did not feel it was worth the money. Perhaps its because I have so much stuff already that it just didnt seem like a bargain. It might be perfect for others just not for me. I do love the Authentique paper!
That's one of the things I love about it, I don't buy patterned paper very often at all so the kit gives me a chance to sample a different line every month without having to invest in a full pad of paper (which I know from past experience usually ends up sitting around for years ;). I can understand though that it's not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

I hope you share your creations with us Diane, I would love to see what you make! :mrgreen:
I'm trying to get away from buying full pads of paper myself. I don't use a lot of it in my creations but like to from time to time so I think this will be perfect for me!
I think I've been afraid of subscribing to kits in the past becuase I was afraid a lot would go to waste but with Simon we can bow out if we aren't interested which is a great perk!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 06:49 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I hope you share your creations with us Diane, I would love to see what you make! :mrgreen:
I'm trying to get away from buying full pads of paper myself. I don't use a lot of it in my creations but like to from time to time so I think this will be perfect for me!
I think I've been afraid of subscribing to kits in the past becuase I was afraid a lot would go to waste but with Simon we can bow out if we aren't interested which is a great perk!
True, Lori, you can quit at any time if you're just not using the kits. One thing I really love about the kit is that they have a monthly gallery for each kit, where both DT and customers can post their creations. Sometimes if I'm not feeling particularly creative I look at what others have done and CASE a design that I love. Makes it super easy to use up the whole kit, even when I'm not on top of my game creatively. I'll definitely share what I create with this kit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I subscribed to the SSS kits for about 4 months and think it is an excellent value. I ended up with some stamp sets that I would not have purchased on my own and that has turned out to be a mixed blessing -- forcing me to think outside the box, but not allowing me to purchase something I like better.

You get a lot of material for the price so I think it is a good value. Ultimately I dropped for a couple of reasons -- the amount of stuff I was getting an not using was piling up and I will not become a hoarder. And financially I've cut back so I need to be more selective.

The Studio Calico kits are actually more my style but I've never subscribed. I also have been getting a lot of emails from SC and notice that you can sometimes find the stamp sets or kits on discount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I poked around the Studio Calico website a bit last night, didn't particularly care for the stamp set in the main kit for April (or I guess a better way to say it is I didn't think I'd personally have a lot of use for a stamp set like that), but I'm going to keep my eye on their kits and I did sign up for their newsletter. I do find their set up a bit confusing because there are so many add ons, and different kits, and also I saw cards made from their scrap kit (not their card kit), on Danielle Flanders blog (she designs for them). To be honest I liked the cards Danielle made with the scrapping items better than the cards that were made with the card kit. So how I'd ever figure out what to buy from them is beyond me lol! I love the SSS kits, nice and SIMPLE, no choices I have to make lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy the kits but don't get every one. I loved last months, but skipped this month. I played around with some of the papers and the stamps tonight. 😄

As a mom who has horrible mom brain, it's nice to sit down and open a box where everything is already coordinated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I loved last months too and used up every bit of it! Here's a link to some of the cards I made with it if you want to take a peek:

It's all about the ART!: Simon Says Stamp March 2015 card kit

Your card is beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

I have just subscribed to the SSS kits and I can't wait for them to come in!

djaquay, just checked out the cards via your link and they're beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by CranberriesView Post
I have just subscribed to the SSS kits and I can't wait for them to come in!

djaquay, just checked out the cards via your link and they're beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I'm sure you're going to love getting these kits, can't wait to see what you make
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I love your cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djaquayView Post
I loved last months too and used up every bit of it! Here's a link to some of the cards I made with it if you want to take a peek:

Your card is beautiful!
I am going to have to case you. I have bunches of the Authentique Beauty Paper in 12 x 12 and 6 x6 pads. This line is my fav color combo ever!

Great job on your cards!
Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

I have yet to try any monthly kits, but I've been thinking about it.
Probably will try Simon Says Stamp.
There is another one at La La Land Crafts. If you are into their stamps. They have 3 different types of kits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks, Amber! The little Authentique journal card pad they included in the March kit really made it a snap to whip out cards.

ThatGirlThere, I'm not familiar with La La Land Crafts but I'll go check it out now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by djaquayView Post

Your card is beautiful!
Just peeked in on your cards, they are beautiful.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

To me - it seems quite expensive. So I have never bought a kit. I wonder if SSS sells few months ago kit for less ?? Maybe in the next few months - I will try to get one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I've often thought of signing up for SSS card kit - but I can't justify the cost of the shipping to NZ - especially on a regular basis.
I do buy from them - and cannot fault their service/prices/product range - however, the monthly cost, converted to NZD is high - and unfortunately, I cannot find a monthly card kit here in NZ.............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2015, 03:16 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A very good friend and I decided three months ago to sign up for the Simon Kits. We have been happy with what is in the kits. You get your monies worth plus in the kits. Just received the April kit after a long wait. They charge my Pay Pal account on the 17th of the month and of course the dock strike did not help with a speedy delivery this month. I like others like the idea of a complete kit so I do not have to think to hard to make my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Just wanted to let ya'll know that Simon Says Stamp is doing a blog hop today for the April stamp kit, there are lots of amazing samples from their DT members to check out! This is one of the things that I really love about their kits, the inspiration! They don't do these blog hops every month for every kit, but they do them fairly often and I love when they do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Saw that Vicky P. of Clips-n-Cuts is doing the blog hop and she mentioned that you could skip months in the Simon Says Stamp card kit subscription, but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on their subscription page. Has anyone skipped a month or two? Do you have to cancel and then restart the subscription to skip?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
Saw that Vicky P. of Clips-n-Cuts is doing the blog hop and she mentioned that you could skip months in the Simon Says Stamp card kit subscription, but I don't see that mentioned anywhere on their subscription page. Has anyone skipped a month or two? Do you have to cancel and then restart the subscription to skip?
I'm not totally sure about this because I've never skipped a month, but I have mine set up with Paypal and SSS sends me a PP payment request each month and if I didn't pay it they wouldn't send the kit. Your best bet would be to email SSS customer service and ask if nobody here knows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

I received my kit Monday, I've only had time to make 1 card so far but I love the kit!! The papers are gorgeous and just the perfect amount for me!! I will be signing up to receive it monthly!! :mrgreen:

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2015, 06:26 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I received my kit Monday, I've only had time to make 1 card so far but I love the kit!! The papers are gorgeous and just the perfect amount for me!! I will be signing up to receive it monthly!! :mrgreen:
Yeah, Lori!! I agree, I'm loving those kraft and gold papers and I can definitely see myself buying a whole pack of them because they go so well with so many different types of cards, not just birthday cards. I made a few cards yesterday and will post them on my blog when I get a chance. I'd love to see what you made!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Be sure and let us know when you have them uploaded Diane, I'd love to see them! Here is my first card using the kit: "A" by LMcAree - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I will be in my stamp room most of the day today, if I get more done I will post them! :mrgreen:

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I'll definitely let you know. Your card is wonderful, Lori, great use of the kit items!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

I posted 2 cards made with the April kit on my blog today. I've actually made many more but the rest are either CASEd from DT cards or I'm not happy enough with how they turned out to post on my blog ;)

It's all about the ART!: Simon Says Stamp April card kit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Great cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2015, 05:33 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

They are both great Diane!! I tried leaving a comment but for some reason I wasn't able to :( It could be because I'm at work and there is some kind of block.

I saw the new card kit this morning! I don't have any weddings coming up that I am aware of but I think I am going to go ahead and get the new kit anyway! I think it will be a versitle enough set to use for anniversaries too and will be a good set to have on hand! Plus the papers are gorgeous and I've been wanting to try SSS inks, how can I pass up that gorgeous color! :mrgreen:

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2015, 06:18 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks, Lori! I agree, love the May kit, even though it's a wedding "theme" kit it looks extremely versatile, plus I personally do not have many wedding stamps, and we've got lots of teens in our family tree so those wedding will be coming eventually lol ;). Love the papers, and the large congratulations stamp in the set is so pretty and could be used for lots of occasions. I've gotten 2 SSS stamp pads in prior kits and I really like them. They're the same formulation as the Hero Arts shadow inks, they stamp blotchy but smooth out as they dry, and they're very juicy pads which I like. Another company that uses that formulation is Wplus9 and I recently bought their Storybook collection of colors; I've been LOVING them, the colors are fabulous for Spring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2015, 06:33 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

That is good to know, thank you!! I've not tried Hero Arts yet but am very interested in the Ombre inks, they look so pretty! Lately I've been loving My Favorite Things Dye inks, especially for backgrounds (and my MISTI), but they stamp amazingly for any image or sentiment!! In an order on its way to me I am also trying their Hybrid Black Licorice for coloring with Copics. I've been seeing over and over how you get beautiful, crisp images, more so than Memento which is what I've been using for years. Can't wait to try it out!
Yes, the large congratulations stamp and background stamp are my 2 favorites. It will be a lot of fun to play with!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes