Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2015, 04:24 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adhesive runners: dot vs. not-dot???

The other day I accidentally bought the dot refill for my adhesive runner, instead of the regular one. I'm not really liking it a whole lot, I seem to end up with random dots stuck in random places. I'm trying to understand what the pros and cons are of using just a regular adhesive runner vs a dot runner. Thoughts?

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually prefer the dot runners. I find that the solid runners don't always stop gluing when I lift the runner off the paper, and I get messy, run away strands or bands of glue where I don't want them. The solid runners are just that, solid. So they don't always break when you want them too. I've also found that with solid runners, sometimes the glue would curl in a little on the sides or contract, so that the band of glue was thinner than its original width.

When I use the dotted runners, I still get a nice solid stripe. However, when I lift my runner off the paper, the glue stops immediately. The little dots are already breaking up the solid flow of the tape, so there's no way for a solid band of tape to continue coming off the runner once you've lifted it off the paper. And the stripe never contracts. Because it's not a solid piece, there's no way for it to contract or pull into itself.

Hope I'm making sense here. I've used Scotch (red plastic) and Tombow (purple plastic), and both brands have worked very well for me. I've never had a problem where the adhesive was random. I get nice solid stripes of tape. At least one of them (can't remember which off hand) has lightly tinted blue tape, so I can easily see where I have already applied tape.

Perhaps gluing style affects which product works best? I'm guessing that I use a lot of pressure. Maybe the solid runner is better, if you have a lighter touch?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only used the EK Success Herma dot adhesive, but I really like it. It is especially good for paper with "holes" in it, such as a die cut doily or eyelet edging. When you roll over a gap in the paper, the dots stick on the surface underneath and you can just roll them off with your finger. Hope this makes sense.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm using Elmer's, which I wasn't super fond of in the first place because the roller would get gunked up. I've figured out that if I angle the runner a bit differently it applies better and more evenly. I guess I'll just have to pay closer attention to when I get glue dots on my work surface. I didn't even realize it until they were on everything, and at that point they were sticking enough that it made a mess when I tried rolling them off.

Thanks for your input ladies. I really want to try Tombow because of all the rave reviews, but it's super expensive here. So I have to wait till a Michaels coupon coincides with money in the bank.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I have found the Elmer's dot runners do not hold nearly as well as their full adhesive version. My dot runner cards fall apart. I find the other variety holds for a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2015, 02:48 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

There's an advantage in using a dot runner if you are attaching an intricate die cut with lots of open space ( like a flourish) - the dot runner adhesive only attaches to the die cut -- if you use a line runner - the adhesive continues so there's adhesive in the open space, where you don't want it. unless you take the time to only put it on each little piece - the dot runner you can just run across the whole thing. It will leave some glue on the scrap sheet that I put beneath the "flourish" but that just gets tossed. .... That's my experience anyway.... I hope that I explained this clearly! :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2015, 02:51 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I have found the Elmer's dot runners do not hold nearly as well as their full adhesive version. My dot runner cards fall apart. I find the other variety holds for a long time.
I'm glad to know it's not just me! I thought I was the defective one, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosMomView Post
There's an advantage in using a dot runner if you are attaching an intricate die cut with lots of open space ( like a flourish) - the dot runner adhesive only attaches to the die cut -- if you use a line runner - the adhesive continues so there's adhesive in the open space, where you don't want it. unless you take the time to only put it on each little piece - the dot runner you can just run across the whole thing. It will leave some glue on the scrap sheet that I put beneath the "flourish" but that just gets tossed. .... That's my experience anyway.... I hope that I explained this clearly! :?
That makes sense actually!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2015, 03:53 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosMomView Post
Ditto
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2015, 05:18 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default Dunn By Dixie

You can purchase Tombow adhesive thru Penwa. I usually by around $50 and it comes to $1.85 per refill. They are very quick to ship.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

When I buy adhesive runners, I always buy the dots. I really like them. I have had such terrible luck with the Elmers glue runners that I actually threw two new packages of them away. To much hassle to even return them to the store.

I am using double sided tape now and I have had such good luck with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottitudeView Post
I'm using Elmer's, which I wasn't super fond of in the first place because the roller would get gunked up. I've figured out that if I angle the runner a bit differently it applies better and more evenly. I guess I'll just have to pay closer attention to when I get glue dots on my work surface. I didn't even realize it until they were on everything, and at that point they were sticking enough that it made a mess when I tried rolling them off.

Thanks for your input ladies. I really want to try Tombow because of all the rave reviews, but it's super expensive here. So I have to wait till a Michaels coupon coincides with money in the bank.
I always have an old phone book right next to where I work. I put my piece to be glued on a clean page, run my dot roller (Scotch) over the work, pick it up and place it down where I want it. I use a different section of the paper each time, if possible; if not, I tear off the top sheet and have a fresh piece available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never been fond of the dot runners but I like the idea that they work good for die cuts. I'll give them another try because it would be easier than attaching an adhesive sheet to the card stock before cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2015, 04:25 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I have nothing to contribute on the dots...I use a double sided tape I always hand cut. But I had to say that phone book idea is very good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I always have an old phone book right next to where I work. I put my piece to be glued on a clean page, run my dot roller (Scotch) over the work, pick it up and place it down where I want it. I use a different section of the paper each time, if possible; if not, I tear off the top sheet and have a fresh piece available.
I use old magazines and catalogues before I recycle them. Also works well when using a glue stick and you need to go right to the edges of what you are gluing. Then I just turn the page to the next fresh one when I need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #16  
uuu
Cardstock Collector

Wow!! The phone book and magazines and catalogs are great ideas!! I'm going to have to use them too!! The Elmer runners are terrible. I'm constantly trying to fix them. I have 2 left and am going to use them, but then I'm done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree, I love the magazine/phone book idea. What sucks is that I just recycled a phone book that had been in my craft room for the last 3 years. Isn't that always the way?! :lol:

Thanks everybody for your great comments!

Reply With Quote Likes