Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Shim for Intricate Dies

I just saw a video on Memory Box and they have a Metal Shim for intricate dies. Not able to find where to purchase. Think I remember reading on SCS that other manufacturers have a metal shim but again I can't find any, anywhere. Do you know where I might purchase one? Does anyone have a review they would like to share? Also, don't know how much they cost, but is there something one could purchase at a Home Depot, Lowes for cheap that would do the same thing? I have a Big Shot if that makes a difference. Thank you for any help you can be. Suzie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Amber has them in her store: Chic and Savvy Crafters Product List.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Diane..you rock!
blessings.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 01-19-2012 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I posted a question on Memory Box's Facebook page to find out when their metal plate will be available for retail sale. I'll post when I get an answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased mine from Ecstasy Crafts in Canada but they have an outlet in the US. Check their blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheery Lynn also has a metal adaptor plate for use with the Big Shot. Here's a link.

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Cherry Lynn has them: Supplies: Cheery Lynn Designs: Our Magical Dies work in your favorite table-top machine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

If you want to go the cheap route, here's a post I made on another board a couple of weeks ago:

I went to Lowes today in search of thin metal to use in my Cuttlebug (CB). I found a couple of things in the roofing area that looked like they'd work and since they were each less than $1 I bought them both to see which would work better.

The first one was called 5x8 Shingle Brown Steel Item #125874 and cost $.84. It is not as wide as the CB plates, but it is wide enough for the dies I have. It's dull grey on one side and brown paint on the other. It's very malleable, so all the ones in stock were kinda bent from being tossed around. I picked the best of the bunch and just ran it through my CB a few times between the plates and some shims to flatten it out. The sandwich I used (from the bottom up) was A plate, metal plate, C plate, die (cutting side up), paper to cut, B plate. I had to put the cutting side up in order to get it to work well, though. I also taped the die to the paper since I was going to run it through a couple of times and didn't want it to slip. Don't make the mistake I made and put the metal plate on the top of the sandwich because the roller makes the metal curl. I ran it through 2 times (back and forth) and it worked great.

The 2nd one was called 8x12 flashing shingle .015 Galv (I think this means galvanised) Item #125854 and was $.88. Since it's too wide, I had to use tin snips to cut the sheet to 5 7/8 wide so it would fit through the CB. I basically cut it in half so I'd have 2 pieces, but I did it by cutting a strip out of the center so that I'd only have to smooth one side of each piece. It's kind of shiny brushed silver and is much less malleable than the other metal I found. I think I liked this one better because it was more rigid, but it had to be cut and filed smooth so I wouldn't hurt myself when I used it. The sandwich was the same as the other metal. Again, I had to put the cutting side up and it worked in 2 passes (ran it back and forth).

It looked like the thickness of the metals were about the same, just a little less than 1 mm. Neither of them were stainless steel, but I don't think it mattered since I won't be getting them wet.

Since I was in the experimenting mode, I tried cutting with my problem-child die without the metal plates to see if putting the cutting side up would help. I had to use 3 pieces of cardstock shim, but it cut just as well as using the metal plate. I'm not sure if everyone else's CB will cut better with the dies placed cutting side up, but it's worth a try if you don't want to mess with the metal plate.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

From what I can tell Esctasy gets their metal plates from Cheery Lynn. Cheery Lynn has two different sizes available. one is approx the size of an A2 card and the other one is I believe a little bigger than a 5 x 7 card. I hope this helps. The prices on these are very reasonable.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgeemvfView Post
If you want to go the cheap route, here's a post I made on another board a couple of weeks ago:

I went to Lowes today in search of thin metal to use in my Cuttlebug (CB). I found a couple of things in the roofing area that looked like they'd work and since they were each less than $1 I bought them both to see which would work better.

The first one was called 5x8 Shingle Brown Steel Item #125874 and cost $.84. It is not as wide as the CB plates, but it is wide enough for the dies I have. It's dull grey on one side and brown paint on the other. It's very malleable, so all the ones in stock were kinda bent from being tossed around. I picked the best of the bunch and just ran it through my CB a few times between the plates and some shims to flatten it out. The sandwich I used (from the bottom up) was A plate, metal plate, C plate, die (cutting side up), paper to cut, B plate. I had to put the cutting side up in order to get it to work well, though. I also taped the die to the paper since I was going to run it through a couple of times and didn't want it to slip. Don't make the mistake I made and put the metal plate on the top of the sandwich because the roller makes the metal curl. I ran it through 2 times (back and forth) and it worked great.

The 2nd one was called 8x12 flashing shingle .015 Galv (I think this means galvanised) Item #125854 and was $.88. Since it's too wide, I had to use tin snips to cut the sheet to 5 7/8 wide so it would fit through the CB. I basically cut it in half so I'd have 2 pieces, but I did it by cutting a strip out of the center so that I'd only have to smooth one side of each piece. It's kind of shiny brushed silver and is much less malleable than the other metal I found. I think I liked this one better because it was more rigid, but it had to be cut and filed smooth so I wouldn't hurt myself when I used it. The sandwich was the same as the other metal. Again, I had to put the cutting side up and it worked in 2 passes (ran it back and forth).

It looked like the thickness of the metals were about the same, just a little less than 1 mm. Neither of them were stainless steel, but I don't think it mattered since I won't be getting them wet.

Since I was in the experimenting mode, I tried cutting with my problem-child die without the metal plates to see if putting the cutting side up would help. I had to use 3 pieces of cardstock shim, but it cut just as well as using the metal plate. I'm not sure if everyone else's CB will cut better with the dies placed cutting side up, but it's worth a try if you don't want to mess with the metal plate.

I hope this helps.
Colleen: My goodness! How wonderful of you to share so much with us. Going a cheaper-just-as-good way is important to crafters. It saves us tons of money. Your tutorial was very clear. Makes for a great you tube! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

Sizzix has a new metal plate coming out in March. It is a sheet of metal attached to a piece of plastic and it replaces one of your plates. Unlike Cheery Lynn the die actually cuts into the metal. The Sizzix site says with this plate you can use your Thinlit dies to cut lots of different materials, such as fabric, craft metal and plastic! If it works hope we get it!

Sizzix.com - Sizzix Accessory - Precision Base Plate for Wafer-Thin Dies

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tnNES7i-810
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottage PaperView Post
Sizzix has a new metal plate coming out in March. It is a sheet of metal attached to a piece of plastic and it replaces one of your plates. Unlike Cheery Lynn the die actually cuts into the metal. The Sizzix site says with this plate you can use your Thinlit dies to cut lots of different materials, such as fabric, craft metal and plastic! If it works hope we get it!

Sizzix.com - Sizzix Accessory - Precision Base Plate for Wafer-Thin Dies

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tnNES7i-810
You might not want to have the die cut edge towards the metal as after awhile you can dull your die. I find that just having the metal plate be the last piece of the sandwich (on top of everything) seems work just as well. I only put the cut side toward the metal on the dies that won't cut any other way. I figure that since the die won't cut anyway I might as well get what use I can out of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

I wondered about cutting against the metal as well but since Sizzix makes it and they make our dies I figured they must know what they are talking about .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2015, 04:02 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cottage PaperView Post
I wondered about cutting against the metal as well but since Sizzix makes it and they make our dies I figured they must know what they are talking about .
You're right and one would hope that they Sizzix wouldn't lead us in the wrong direction but we all have experienced bad advice from manufacturers at some point based on all the workarounds we find here on SCS.

I always wonder about just how much testing is done when it comes to crafting products. I kind of doubt that they have a large testing budget so who knows what can happen after years of use. Would the testing be based on a casual user or on the heavy use we demos experience. I remember when SU introduced the black ink pad and they said they had been testing the pads for a year. In a year's worth of testing, didn't anyone notice that the black pad smeared on WW? Probably if testing was more thorough everything would cost more. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with Stamphappy - companies have to do cursory/minimal testing. The item must be safe to use - not dangerous to your health without warning information (magnetic platform to person with pacemakers, etc) and non-toxic (there are warnings to use in well ventilated areas, etc.) After the minimal testing, the items are released to the public and the end users are the actual 'testers'. It is unfortunate but after spending $$$ on something, we have to share 'work arounds' as Stamphappy says. Thankfully, the people who frequent this website are generous with their knowledge and share.

I, also, wouldn't cut directly into metal without exhausting other ways to get a good cut. If, after many attempts, I would return the die and either request a replacement or get my money back. I would not continue using it - no cute, 'have to have' die shape is worth the frustration.

These are only my observavations and opinions for whatever anyone thinks they are worth. This craft is supposed to be relaxing and fun for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
Amber has them in her store: Chic and Savvy Crafters Product List.
I purchased mine from Amber also. Very fast shipping every time!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I went the cheap route. My husband had someone make one for me at his job. Free is the best kinda of price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've noticed that it often says not to use a metal shim with the Grand Calibur. Why is that? I have a Fiskars Fuse and I'm trying to figure out if this is something I will need in the long run. For now most of my dies are pretty basic, although I do sometimes have to run them through more than once.

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy, am I late to this party! I am still using my cuttlebug, but have noticed that with a few dies lately (PTI Mix & Mat particularly), I'm having to run it through up to 6 times to get the center cut........would a Memory Box Metal sheet help, and if so, what is the sandwich with a cuttlebug? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

You can get a Shim for cuttlebug and big shot at Taylored Expressions: Metal Shim - Tools - Supplies It really works well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you so much, Mary Jo!
Reply With Quote Likes