Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does Anybody Use Just One Type of Die-Cutting Tools???

:confused: I am feeling awfully confused and overwhelmed recently with my tools... Perhaps too many and not enough time?

I have dies and my Cuttlebug.
I have 2 Cricut machines - create and expression, the original one.
Inks galore like CTMH, SU, TH Distress and more...
Coordinating stamps for my Cricut via CTMH and some of my dies.

I dunno but what I do know is that I need fast and simple. Right now I do not have my own computer to be crafty companion for me so the Silhouette nor the Explore are not the machines for me. My Cricuts are collecting dust. I love using my Cuttlebug and dies or punches. Especially when here is so much coordination with stamps and dies. But I am a scrapbooker and cardmaker.

What to do? What to keep? Any words of advice crafters?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

A lot of the girls are going to say Clean and Simple. I beat them to it, lol.

I have been making jokes about this same topic on a couple of threads this week. I am going through the overwhelming tools thing too. I have different crafting hobbies and all my tools fit in small areas. Like my cross-stitching tools are in one box. That includes my floss & stitching tools. My polymer clay tools are in one little area. My paper crafting tools strewn everywhere.

I am like you I just want simple. I don't really need fast because I absolutely adore detailed work. There is something soothing to me just to have my craft knife, ruler and my detailed scissors out. Then I have my Cuttlebug out, my Cameo, my dies, my stamps, my coloring tools, my ten million inks. This seriously lead to me getting overwhelmed and exhausted. I am not joking about that.

Get rid of your Cricut's. If your not using them they will keep staring at you sapping out your creative energy. Seriously. Sell them for some new punch and die money. If your not in the position to sell can you pack them away the things that are bothering you.

I went through my dies and punches with a critical eye this week. If I couldn't use them for other crafts in my arsenal the dies and punches got donated. I only kept like three punches I use for cardmaking and my scrapbooking.

I would love to use one die cutting tool. I would probably just pick my Cameo.

Can't wait to hear what everyone else has to say. I think some of us needs some inspiring advice.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Just like my signature I confess to being a craft, have to have it, junkie. Suddenly I'm back to the basics and into watercolor, inks, and stamps. You won't find me disagreeing here, because I find my arsenal overwhelming many days :confused: My main machines are my Big Shot Pro and Cameo. There's two electronic die and embossing machines, and I'm even embarrassed to list the other machines I've in my collection. Bottom line, you're both wiser than I!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 01:02 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Donate a cricut to a library, I did an they use it all the time for their bulletin boards, signs, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 03:51 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

I have a Big Shot only but I do really want a Cricut someday. I was slow to even get the Big Shot, I don't mind cutting and I'm a purest about Stamps, Paper, Ink on my projects. Now I love it and use it often and have accumulated quite a collection of "stuff" for it.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I have a slice, a cricut expresssion, a silhouette SD, Epic manual, Spellbinder's Grand Calibur. I actually do use them all. (not much lately, under the weather), but I'm planning to scrap out the rest of the winter.

I do want to trade my Silhouette SD for a new cameo, but I'm in no rush.

I can not advise you as I love all my cutters and I couldn't get rid of one of them... not yet anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to just have the Cuttlebug, but then three years later in 2008 got the old Silhouette (Wish blade). I upgraded to the Cameo three years later in 2011, still keeping the Cuttlebug. Just recently I purchased some dies that won't go through the Cuttlebug opening so now I have a Grand Calibur coming my way via Amazon in 2 short days and that is also three years from purchasing the Cameo. So what's up with me...the three year itch? Hahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the Big Shot, Cricut Expression and Pazzle. I use the Big Shot all the time, Cricut some of the time and Pazzle not at all. The Pazzle I bought a couple of years ago and have used it one time, I'm going to sell it and just keep my Big Shot and Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

A few months back, I got rid of my Cricut Expression, carts, tools, all accessories and I don't miss it one teeny tiny bit. I use my manual diecutters (Accucut mark IV + Teal Big Shot) with a million dies and embossing folders (and stamps course) and ... that's enough for me. I organize everything by topic (birthday, alphabets, etc) and my dies are all laid out on a double-shallow Ikea wall shelf where i can see them. It works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Do many of you create your own embellishments using stamps and coordinating dies and/or cutting machines? I am stuck in my thought process as to 'I want to do so' BUT am not doing so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpiobabyView Post
:I love using my Cuttlebug and dies or punches. Especially when here is so much coordination with stamps and dies. But I am a scrapbooker and cardmaker.
I only have a Cuttlebug and I love it. It does everything from thin dies to the Bigz dies. All of the die cutting machines run on the same principle - apply enough pressure so the die cuts the paper. With a little bit of finagling, the Cuttlebug hasn't failed me yet! They even make the longer plates for it now, but even with the longer die sets, I cut portions at a time and haven't even been tempted to buy the longer plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have just the Big Shot. Don't want to get into electronic machines and the Big Shot does everything I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I concur with Cindy - the Big Shot is all I require. I have "kid in a candy store" issues - too many options and it stops me in my tracks, completely unable to choose! Knowing this (and my propensity towards making the most "stuff" fit in the smallest footprint possible), I'm trying very hard to keep things as minimalist as possible in my craft room. Of course, "minimalist" is both an oxymoronic and a relative term where crafting supplies are concerned...there's still LOTS and LOTS! Good luck in your efforts on scaling back...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I don't have too many matching dies/stamp sets, but I do make loads of my own embellishments. I'm crazy about flowers. I do for instance, cut out Tim Holtz's tattered flowers. I'll emboss them with some pretty folder, ink them and turn them into beautiful 3D flowers. I love taking cutouts and stamping them, then maybe add some glossy accents to turn them into something pretty and shiny. I love making my embellishments.

I recommend it as a relaxation technique. lol It makes me happy!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 09:24 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I only have a Cuttlebug and I love it. It does everything from thin dies to the Bigz dies. All of the die cutting machines run on the same principle - apply enough pressure so the die cuts the paper. With a little bit of finagling, the Cuttlebug hasn't failed me yet! They even make the longer plates for it now, but even with the longer die sets, I cut portions at a time and haven't even been tempted to buy the longer plates.
This is my story, too. I only have my trusty Cuttlebug and have not been tempted to get anything else. And I use some longer dies, and like you, just cut portions at a time, so no long plates. (Are we sisters, lol?)

Right now I'm using my CB and an old, old snowflake embossing folder to make this year's Christmas cards! Newer isn't always better.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Posted on wrong thread. Tabbing went awry.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpiobabyView Post
Do many of you create your own embellishments using stamps and coordinating dies and/or cutting machines? I am stuck in my thought process as to 'I want to do so' BUT am not doing so.
I solemnly swear I am going to post on the right threads now. Oh my gosh I am having a night! ROFL

Ninety percent of my embellishments are made by me. One of the reasons I bought so many cutting tools. Then I come to the conclusion most of my embellishments I make are fussy cutting.

I do not own any dies with matching stamps. I make my own die/stamp combos with my Cameo or fussy cutting. For the most part I don't need a die cut machine to make my own embellishments. I really thought I would. I used it as a crutch. My best embellishments have come from using my hands, X-acto knife, & micro-tip scissors. I make a lot of doilies and alphabets on my Cameo.

I love to make my own embellishments. I find it so relaxing. I tend to make more embellishments than an actual project. Least it seems like that lately.

I know I would not be happy with the stamp/die combos. I find great joy and making my own unique things. I think stamp/die combos would hinder me because I would be looking at them as I need to use them the way they are made for. I know that seems silly but we all have that about something in our craft room.

I hope that helps. I am fatigued tonight so I hope I made sense.

Now on to the Cuttlebug. I am another Cuttlebug fan. I love my little machine. When she goes to Cuttlebug heaven I will replace her. I have a Big Shot. I should say my husband now has it because I just don't like it. I have so many time recommended it over here. I do stand by my recommendation. It's not a good machine for me.

My Cuttlebug never fails me. I know my Nesties sandwiches by heart. I always get nice embossing from my embossing folders. It cuts felt like a dream, for me. Plus, it's small. I really don't like big tools. I have never sprained my wrist using it. I am looking at you with an evil eye Sizzix Big Shot. You know your guilty of that.

I don't really use my Cuttlebug for paper crafting. Paper crafting is usually Nesties or embossing folders. I use my Cuttlebug to make fabric flowers, Kawaii items, jewelry and felties.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I have only a Cuttlebug, a handful of dies and many embossing folders. I'm a simple person. I'm at a computer a lot a work and don't have the energy at night do Cricut things. My S.U. demo lives down the street so if I ever felt the need to cut shapes I could do it at her house. I like and admire the fanciness of cutting shapes, etc. but I don't have the creativity to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I concur with Cindy - the Big Shot is all I require. I have "kid in a candy store" issues - too many options and it stops me in my tracks, completely unable to choose! Knowing this (and my propensity towards making the most "stuff" fit in the smallest footprint possible), I'm trying very hard to keep things as minimalist as possible in my craft room. Of course, "minimalist" is both an oxymoronic and a relative term where crafting supplies are concerned...there's still LOTS and LOTS! Good luck in your efforts on scaling back...

Ahh, my sentiments exactly! My kids gave me a Cricut Expressions #2 last Christmas, still in the box, because "too many options stops me in my tracks"! I am sooooooo happy without the Cricut, why complicate my life?
HOWEVER, I did buy a MISTI and count that the best dollars I ever spent, including the dollars I spent on the biggest Genesis Trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I only use a Big Shot or punches. Fortunately I have't felt the need to go electronic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2014, 05:19 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

The only reason I would be interested in an electronic cutter would be to make my own stencils. Is there a reasonably priced cutter on the market where I could design and cut stencils without having to buy cartridges or be restricted to the manufacturer's designs?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Send a message via Skype™ to cgarskejones
Smile Vagabond is my favorite die cutting machine

I have an art studio and I host craft night every Tuesday nigh and My Thursday night group has been meeting for 16 years. I purchased my Silhouette last year and I own 2 Big Shot. I love,love,love tools
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
The only reason I would be interested in an electronic cutter would be to make my own stencils. Is there a reasonably priced cutter on the market where I could design and cut stencils without having to buy cartridges or be restricted to the manufacturer's designs?
I cut stencils with my Cameo a lot. The reason I got into die cutting was to make my own stencils & cut my own artwork. Stencil making is the most important for me in choosing a die cutter. I do have a CB09 blade holder to cut stencils.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I own:
Grand Caliber
Slice
Ebosser
Big Shot
Cuttlebug (have gone thru 7!)
Cameo
Brother Scan and Cut
Crossover

I USE:
Crossover (bug is dead)
Cameo
Brother Scan n Cut

I love toys.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I cut stencils with my Cameo a lot. The reason I got into die cutting was to make my own stencils & cut my own artwork. Stencil making is the most important for me in choosing a die cutter. I do have a CB09 blade holder to cut stencils.
Does the stencil material dull the blade of the CB09 too much? If it's all right, can you share what settings you use? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I too cut my own stencils with a Silhouette, I just use regular OHP film for mine though, not thicker acetate or mylar.
Reply With Quote Likes