Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Hot Press or Cold Press?

My two favorite watercolor artists turn out spectacular projects but one uses Hot Press watercolor paper and the other uses Cold Press. Both use Distress inks, mainly, but sometimes use other dye inks, so I assume ink isn't the deciding factor.

Because it's so expensive, I would love to know how to choose watercolor paper. My watercolor adventure is not progressing well and I'm looking for something that might help it.

Thanks,
Bahb
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #2  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot press is smoother than cold press.

That said, you might consider Ranger's watercolor paper - this is my 'go to' watercolor paper. And one side is smooth and one side is textured so you have both options with one paper. And it comes in different sizes (I think 8-1/2 x 11 and A2 for sure).

Very reasonably priced and good quality like everything 'Ranger' IMO and readily available.

http://rangerink.com/?product=ranger...tercolor-paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

If you're using very detailed stamps, hot press is the way to go as the texture on cold press will mean the detail gets lost easily. The Ranger stuff sounds like it's worth a go though - it would be interesting to hear how you get on with it!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Many thanks for the responses and the link. I've ordered the Ranger paper in hopes that I will have better luck turning out some watercoloring that looks like it isn't the mistakes of a kindergartner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I use a lot of watercolor paper and I prefer Strathmore brand (cold and hot press). Michaels put it on sale quite often and I buy a ton of it. Especially when it's buy one get one.

I don't know what kind of problems you are having, but it's probably not the kind of paper you are using. Yes, some paper is better than others, but while you are learning the techniques, it may not make sense to buy expensive paper.

Perhaps you could share what the problem is and we can offer some helpful hints. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Perhaps you could share what the problem is and we can offer some helpful hints. : )
I hate to admit I think the problem is me and I wanted to try different paper to see if I can better the outcome. I am a CAS lover and can't seem to let serendipity happen like it does with watercolors. Birgit does watercolor and it looks like spectacular art. I absolutely copy hers as close as I can get it and it looks sloppy, like I lost my neat-nick self and colored outside the lines.

Thanks for asking, because it forced me to think long and hard. I began my stamping life ten years ago with Dreamweaver stencils and embossing paste. It was my BEST and I loved doing it, think I'll go back to that. I had posted it on my SCS Gallery but then noticed no others were doing it so I Deleted it because it made me look "out of touch." At 79, I AM out of touch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

I do NOT think you are out of touch and I am in awe of anyone who can do stencils and embossing paste, which by the way is very much IN! (AND it is a technique I am intimidated by). They are using a lot of plastic stencils these days and using them a lot in mixed media. But if using the Dreamweaver stencils and embossing paste is what you love and what you are good at PLEASE share with us. I would love to see your work! I too have tried my hand at water coloring and have watched many tutorials and have realized it is just not my forte. But I sure do appreciate the talented artists here on Splitcoast who present us with so many water colored beauties. At some point I would love to take a class, as I do far better being shown in real life and having feed back at the same time.

I look forward to seeing you post for all of us to see and enjoy.

Hugs!

"She who lives with the most JOY wins!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonw1View Post
I look forward to seeing you post for all of us to see and enjoy.
Hugs!
Awww, you're so kind. Thanks for the encouragement. It prompted me to buy two new Dreamweaver stencils. When they get here, I'll pull out my pastes and get to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I have them both. I too prefer the Strathmore brand both in cold and hot press. It's quality paper.

I would also suggest if you have a hobby lobby near, go by there and see if they have some on their clearance rack. I always find hot or cold press on the clearance rack. I find a lot of art pencils, watercolor pencils, paints, drawing tablets and the watercolor paper too.

I didn't really know the difference as in what to use them for, but I use them both for stamping and water coloring. I love them with the water color pencils. FUN!! Reading this thread, taught me a bit about it. I didn't really realize that the hot press was smoother, but after reading that I looked at it and you're right.

Micheals is always running a sale and they have the 40% most weeks. Definitely go by Hobby Lobby too though. They usually have something on their clearance rack. It's usually about 50% off. PLUS they too have the 40% off coup too ;)

Good luck. Maybe you'll be able to have them both if you find them on clearance!!

Last edited by Denverkat276; 12-04-2014 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2014, 04:44 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I noticed no one has mentioned paper weight. It can have a huge impact on the final outcome of your project, in my opinion a bigger difference than if you are using hot or cold press. Most hot press is fine for semi-wet work but if you are going to use a lot of water, cold press holds up better.

The secret to getting a decent image on cold press is to 1) use a well inked pad and 2) press and hold your stamp to the page for a few seconds so all the ink has a chance to transfer onto the paper, I count to ten slowly.

I'm thinking the other problem is you are trying TOO hard, we tend to get our best results when we relax, let go and just create. The thing that I like best about water coloring images and I've heard it said by many others is "how relaxing" it is, I end up totally zoned out on everything else. I'll bet you never achieve that feeling right? Nothing wrong with using someone else's work as a starting place but if you get bogged down with the exactness of everything instead of trying to just create the same mood or feeling in your own way then you will probably never be happy with your efforts.

I hope you give water coloring a try again when your paper order arrives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2014, 05:38 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Hot press is smoother than cold press.

That said, you might consider Ranger's watercolor paper - this is my 'go to' watercolor paper. And one side is smooth and one side is textured so you have both options with one paper. And it comes in different sizes (I think 8-1/2 x 11 and A2 for sure).

Very reasonably priced and good quality like everything 'Ranger' IMO and readily available.

Ranger Surfaces Watercolor Paper | Ranger Ink and Innovative Craft Products
I agree, Ranger's watercolor paper is great for cardmaking. After being determined to find a cheaper alternative, I gave up and just use a coupon or wait for a sale. I like Arches cold press watercolor paper, but only with a coupon from Michaels
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Came back to add that lately I've been using canvas paper for water coloring. The paper I'm using is for oils and acrylic but works well for me and I love the texture. I haven't been able to find it at a local store so I order several packs at once. One downside is that the paper is coated and I find that my ATG tape doesn't stick as well so I use glue to adhere it to my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Googled Dreamweavers web site to see the embossing. Very nice pics of cards made. Pls post your embossing work. I would love to see it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I bought three sheets of some hot press wc papers to try to see if it helps me, I think we are sorta in the same boat, I love what I see other people do with watercolors and I am making time to play with it. ( kinda ) not right now, now I am making Christmas tags and such. but, the sheets I picked up were singles that are huge and part of why I have not tried them yet is trying to find a flat space big enough to hold these sheets to cut them down.

oh, and as far as the stencils go agree on that one too. we'd love to see what you are doing with yours. ( I have a whole binder full of them) I love how many new ones have come out in the last few years.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

I have a water color "teacher" who is a master water colorist. In all of the classes I've taken with her, she has taught us to literally fold and tear those giant water color sheets into smaller pieces. I do it on the floor and I usually start with 1/4s and go from there. It's so much easier to cut the smaller pieces to size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Video here from the Frugal Crafter about tearing down paper.

How to Tear Watercolor Paper for Travel Painting

Lesley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
I hate to admit I think the problem is me and I wanted to try different paper to see if I can better the outcome. I am a CAS lover and can't seem to let serendipity happen like it does with watercolors. Birgit does watercolor and it looks like spectacular art. I absolutely copy hers as close as I can get it and it looks sloppy, like I lost my neat-nick self and colored outside the lines.

Thanks for asking, because it forced me to think long and hard. I began my stamping life ten years ago with Dreamweaver stencils and embossing paste. It was my BEST and I loved doing it, think I'll go back to that. I had posted it on my SCS Gallery but then noticed no others were doing it so I Deleted it because it made me look "out of touch." At 79, I AM out of touch!

Oh please don't think you are out of touch. I love the Dremweavers stencils and have taken a couple of classes at my local stamp store. I expecially like the look of the molten lava technique. I think for a while yes, Dreamweavers stencils were not one of the popular looks, but they seem to be making it back in the limelight.

Please consider re-posting some of your cards, I for one would love to see them.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2015, 05:47 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Video from Teesha Moore about making a 16 page journal from one sheet https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1z6qmXGRrsE

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesleybdView Post
Video here from the Frugal Crafter about tearing down paper.

How to Tear Watercolor Paper for Travel Painting

Lesley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I too am a frustrated watercolorist! I want to do better, so I just keep trying, since I'm retired, I've got time!! I see so many others that are just amazing, reading their blogs or tutorials, and I'm so inspired, I feel like it will transfer from my eyes to my hands! and it just doesn't happen that way - I wonder why???? People like Dini, make it seem so easy!!! Yet I'm persistent and and determined not to give up, because it's so beautiful. Some items have turned out pretty good, and others.....um could have been better.

I'm determined to do well with this beautiful, free looking medium though.......

Last edited by lovetostamp3; 04-14-2015 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: word choice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I can't find hot press in any stores around here. I bought Strathmore mixed media vellum surface paper which is nice and smooth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2015, 06:09 AM   #21  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

To everyone: There is a twinchie swap going on right now, and watercolor is one of the themes. Come join
COMPLETE - 2015 Twinchies I- Due June 20 by Joan7356 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes