Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has anyone here ever...

turned your formal living room into a craft room?

Our new house has a formal living room which we have no use for so thinking I will turn it into my craft room however there is no closet in there for storage and I need some ideas.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Not our formal living room but our dinning room. We retired and moved from TX to NV and downsized. I decided that I never wanted to have 12 people for dinner ever again and could use the dinning room as my craft room. We went to Dania and got a 6 ft. desk with hutch top that has deep and very narrow shelves and cubbyholes. Also got several under the desk file cabinets, 2 go under my desk and another is nearby. Also got 2 bookcases and small cabinet with a hutch top. My room is an open area in the middle of our house and only has one full wall where my desk is. I wish it was closed in since I'm a messy crafter but that's life and I'm glad to have a craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 02:10 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

We are lucky to have several Hospice thrift shops in our area, as well as a consignment furniture store. To make a dining room into a craft room, I used the built-in china cabinet to store many items, but could have also bought a china cabinet. The dining room table was in the middle of the room so I put my huge Genesis trimmer on one side of the table at the end. On the other side of the table I put my craft mat in the middle and in front of it I had a series of boxes and trays and jars to hold the most-used tools and small equipment in a neat rectangle. I kept the current project in a Rubbermaid tray to the left of my craft mat. My aim was to be able to turn the room back into a dining room fairly fast since our breakfast room was too small when we entertained.

My favorite piece in the room was a 10 ft. used buffet we put against a wall such that my back faced the 9 drawers when I was working at the table. All I had to do was swivel around to get to my supplies stashed in the roomy buffet. My Big Shot sat atop the buffet. The buffet had a price tag of $80 on it. My husband asked, "Is there any wiggle room in that price?" to our shock she responded, "Yeah, it takes up too much room here. We'd sell it to you for $40." Best deal we EVER got in our lives!

Last edited by Bahb; 11-02-2014 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

We recently moved and I will forever miss that dining room. In this house we turned a smallish bedroom into a craft room. On one wall I have a used "Entertainment Center" that's 10 ft wide and 8 ft high.The bottom is cupboards with shelves, and there are 3 open shelves above that, running the length of the piece. On those shelves I have 14 same-size baskets holding supplies. That piece was $92 at a consignment store. I made a map for myself so I could find what I need because the baskets conceal the contents and I didn't want labels showing on each basket.

On the window wall is another used buffet ($168.00) with 8 drawers. My trimmer and Big Shot are on top of that, with just enough space for a craft mat since I do most of my cardmaking standing up, these days.

I have a used drop-leaf dining room table ($139.00) on the third wall. My computer, a printer and a Cricut Expressions 2 are hogging that table. The Cricut was a gift from my children last Christmas and they would be shocked to learn I have yet to plug it in. An electronic cutter has a learning-curve I might never be inspired to tackle.

The 4th wall is a closet in which I have two bookcases holding punches, back-up supplies, and cartons of cardstock that's in manila folders, separated by ROY G BIV.

Seems like I enjoy the organizing of supplies and equipment more than I enjoy making cards. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Usually the living room is visible from the foyer or front door, or if L-shaped from the dining room. Depending on how you floorplan is, you might want to consider a tall folding screen to hide the craft room mess. Or even some sort of curtains that you could tie back or not. Does the LR have nice carpet? You might want to get a cheap small area rug or mats to protect the carpet under your work area, in case anyone ever converts it back to LR use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine did. The room was right off the foyer her husband put in french doors to the room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I am using a small guest room as both craft and guest room, but we are planning on adding on a room to back of house so that we can make a den and the addition the living room and then I hoping to make current living room my craft room :-) its open though to stairway and rest of house but bigger then the current room. And living room has large windows which I will love in my craft room :-)

Not sure how soon this will happen, but for now I am using my Workbox in my 9x10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in an older house with a large newer addition. I use the old "parlour" at the front of the house for my stamp room. I have a pantry cupboard, a computer workstation and a lateral file cabinet to store my stuff. It's the first room you see when you come in the front door, so I need to get a screen or something to hide it a bit. But most people who come to the house know I'm crafty and they take it in stride.

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks girls!

Glad I'm not crazy for thinking of using that room. We do have 2 rooms on the third floor but I don't think I would go up there nearly as often as I would the living room. Since I'm a pretty clean crafter I don't think messiness will be a problem. Thinking of putting up some french doors between the foyer & the living room too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mine may as well be.

ATM I craft right beside our main entrance into our living area, not our formal living room but it is right there in the way. I was just talking to my husband about moving around the corner in this space so we could have one area in our living area that was generally tidy all the time.

I use my great grandparent's pie safe, and a chest of drawers and a two drawer filing cabinet for most of my supplies and they are full. The hubs has recently upgraded his toolbox and the old one seems to have landed in my area for my larger supplies (I make wreaths as well).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,910 Likes on 2,180 Posts

My ONLY living room is my craft room! LOL I have one wall with shelves on the wall, crafting table under shelves, book cases surrounding me, Computer desk in the corner space.

ETA: This is close enough to the kitchen for snacking and I spend most of my day here anyway. If it were anywhere else, I wouldn't be able to craft when the feeling hits me!

Last edited by muscrat; 11-02-2014 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

You should do whatever makes you happy. It's hard having to drag out what you need when it's scattered throughout the house. I struggled with doing that for years. I finally made the decision to turn half our family room into my craft area, best decision I've ever made. I'd use my dining room or whatever works, because I'll never be without a craft space again. A house is to be lived in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I think we can make any room of our homes whatever we want. My husband and I turned our formal living room into a playroom for the grandkids! A house is meant to be lived in. That's what makes it a home. We found some great shelving units are Sam's Club of all places. They have the canvas baskets that slide into the open "holes" in them. These work great for toys, books, etc. and I bet they would work for your crafting.

Go girl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

My craft room is at the front of the house, a small bedroom as this is an old house we have extended out the back, so we could have more bedrooms. The only thing I don't like about my craft room it is the first room people see when they come in, it's fine when my room is tidy but when I have stuff everywhere, it's a little embarrassing.
My husband says people don't come over to see your house, I think oh not so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

My vote is to do what you want with the room. It will make you happy. Be sure to use your favorite colors in there too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

We built a house three years ago. There is an office/den directly off the living room with French doors. I use that for my stamp room. We also use it as an office. I don't use the closet to store stamp supplies. I have a large armoire that holds my card stock and stamps. Various other shelves and storage for dsp, punches, buttons, ribbon etc.

I think a formal living room would work great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I started out in the guest room and when I out grew that,Dh made me a craft room out in the utility room. I say use any room that will work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally agree with everyone's suggestions. When I started scrapping, we had a study to the left of our front door as you entered the house. It had French doors and made a perfect first scraproom. I had two pretty flimsy folding tables from our camping days that I used along with my computer desk. I kept all my supplies in rolling totes since this room had no closet, but I made it work, even had my best friend over every other Friday night and we'd scrap the night away. What I loved about that room was that it was away from the bedrooms so I never worried about disturbing my family since we usually scrapped till midnight!
When we moved I had to make the study off the master bedroom my scraproom which also opened onto the hallway where all the other bedrooms were located. Never liked that spot! We couldn't laugh and talk very loud....and forget using eyelets...hahaha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

This thread is so inspiring. When I moved into my new home a little over a year ago I turned an extra bedroom into my craft studio. I love it very much but at the same time I feel like something is missing. My husband keeps trying to get me to turn our living room into a craft studio so he can share it with me. I keep saying no because it's the main room. What if somebody comes to the front door? What if this, What if that? I have a lot of what if's!

This thread is really inspiring me to think differently about this now. In all honesty I really hate my living room. It's so huge and I like cozy small rooms for living rooms. My extra bedroom would be better as the living room. I like long studios to work in. I do miss working with my husband.

Thank you everyone for inspiring me. I know my husband will be happy too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

you know, If I had a formal living room or a dining room and it was on the main floor and filled with natural light I would so snag it... but, we are a people come in the backdoor of our house to visit us not the house kind of a couple so... we are you know still using the bonus frog over the garage but, someday climbing those stairs could be come a no-go and at some point I may have to move it all down... lol the living room is the only room close to being the same size as that room we use up there.

I love the idea of french doors to close it off if you wanted. the freedom to do what you want with your own home not, what is expected has got to be such a huge relief. I think you could decorate it any way you wanted and fill it with things that make you happy to see them. ( furniture wise) probably a lot of things used for one thing could work for display or storage.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I moved not too long ago and in my new house there is no room for a craft space like I used to have. So I have my "studio" at one end of my living room. I have a tall wooden bookcase with all of my craft supplies in it. Most are hidden in bins, baskets, & boxes to help it look neater.

Then I have a long desk which serves as computer workspace and craft space. I make sure to always keep it clean (which can sometimes be the hardest part!) since it's always visible.

Most importantly, I purge a lot of my crafting supplies and only keep what I love. This helps cut down on clutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
Most importantly, I purge a lot of my crafting supplies and only keep what I love. This helps cut down on clutter.
How do you do this? Does it require therapy? Medications? :shock:

I use half of my living room as a craft area. I have 2 armoires, an antique hutch, shelves and tables � on and on in there. It's growing. It might be better to move the TV into the bedroom and use that as a craft room and turn the living room into a studio apartment. It would be spotless because I�m always tinkering at the craft table.

The best storage piece I have is a free, dumpster diving find. PetsMart (huge pet store) was throwing away all end cap cardboard racks for dog treats. They were very clean, tons of them were in the recycle dumpster, and they have built in cubby holes. Solid � I have tons of supplies on them. Stackable also. I love those things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
Seems like I enjoy the organizing of supplies and equipment more than I enjoy making cards. :oops:
Please come to my house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

My craft room is on the west side of the house and gets very warm in the Texas summer (and spring, and fall).

At one time I had actually considered making my huge master bedroom the craft room! It has a ginormous closet too! Such a waste of space for sleeping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
My craft room is on the west side of the house and gets very warm in the Texas summer (and spring, and fall).

At one time I had actually considered making my huge master bedroom the craft room! It has a ginormous closet too! Such a waste of space for sleeping.
I keep telling my DH we should do this and he just laughs and laughs:p:p but I'd hate to give up my bathroom.

I know a single emptynest woman who actually did switch bedrooms and she loves all the extra space.

OP - I say do whatever makes you happy. I'm too fussy about the main area of the house whereas my craftroom may look like a bomb went off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll definitely be doing what ever I want even if it is right wrong or indifferent...LOL

I just need some storage ideas for a room without a closet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzanneView Post
I'll definitely be doing what ever I want even if it is right wrong or indifferent...LOL

I just need some storage ideas for a room without a closet.
My room doesn't have a closet and I use lots of photo boxes, baskets and bins to hold my crafting stuff. Also Iris 12x12 cases for paper. I stack the photo boxes and some of them hold my seasonal stamps and I even found some Christmas photo boxes for my Christmas stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Suzanne, do you want to see your toys and things or do you want it hidden?

eta, this is not my photo, just happened across it on pinterest and it looks like it holds a ton of supplies and would you know close up and hide it... ( closet on feet?)

Pin by Jamie Klockow on Furniture | Pinterest

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

lucky girl!!! to have a dedicated area for crafting!!! woohoo!! you can buy storage, so don't let that slow you down!! Go for it!!!

jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

I keep wanting to scream... "DO IT!! DO IT!!" I wish we had an extra room for something like that. I would love even a basement. Ugh, I miss being able to spread my wings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Oh lots of advice but I would just say that do whatever you feel comfortable to do with. Just give priority to your likings and comfort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2014, 04:29 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stacy something like that might work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #33  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Idea

I just have a "space" turned into craft area downstairs.

I have 2 white laminate (you know the ones you get cheap at stores) shelf units. They are turned so shelves are facing inward towards each other. Then I got a pre-made laminate countertop from a home improvement store (get smooth finish of course & mine is white, sometimes super cheap or you can order) & put on top of the shelves so I have a counter high stamp surface with shelving underneath. I got 2 taller of the same white laminate shelf units & put those as the back of the countertop thus creating lots of storage above & more below.

On the unfinished ends of the short shelf units, I put corkboard squares so I can pin up cards, etc.

On the unfinished backs of taller shelf units, I put 2 more units & put them back to back (so shelves in the front). When you walk into craft area you see shelves of card samples & 3D projects on those; go around the corner & stamping area.

I had a counter stool til my work remodeled & I scored an expensive counter high office chair for free! Although, I tend to stand when stamping.

Having a dedicated area or room is a must!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 06:13 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hardly ever come into my craft room at night because I prefer to be in the living room with my husband. I've been thinking a great deal lately of cutting my supplies in half, and creating a central spot in the part of the house where we actually LIVE. One of the posters in this thread said- "If I were anywhere else, I would be able to craft when the feeling hits me!" I think that really sums up my situation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

well, in my living room I have a sofa table, it's on the east wall that is mainly windows. and I have a chair and an "living room" fancier looking ott light, so my husband watches tv ( I don't I either read or I color) so, its not a formal room but, my copic markers and the bulk of my pencils are all in a bag on the floor next to the chair I sit in at that table to color on. with a small basket of pre stamped images. ( when I buy new stamps I stamp off a couple to color when ever)

but, I am a I want to look at my toys kind of a crafter so, I have very little of it hidden.

this blog post shows where I do non messy coloring.
Stacy's Memory Triggers: WOYWW 252

everything else is upstairs.

eta: on the flip side, if I am in the middle of doing something messy and don't want to stop we put in a loveseat and a tv upstairs for hubs to come up there and watch the news afterwork if I am in the middle of something.

My Blog

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 11-05-2014 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

I am with you, use any room available to make you happy. We moved into our current home and Hubby told me to use the master bedroom for my craftroom. It was the only bedroom on the main level. He says we don't need a big bedroom, we don't see it once we are asleep! Said if I moved my craftroom upstairs, he'd never see me. LOL Enjoy the craft, I love expressing my creativity with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

We are closing on a house tomorrow and I am the most excited about being able to turn one of the extra spaces/rooms into my craft room. I currently use the dining room and I end up getting so lost in the middle of a project when I have to clean up in order to set the table for dinner.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeni.Leigh2123View Post
We are closing on a house tomorrow and I am the most excited about being able to turn one of the extra spaces/rooms into my craft room. I currently use the dining room and I end up getting so lost in the middle of a project when I have to clean up in order to set the table for dinner.
I remember those days. Congratulations, you're going to be amazed how wonderful it is to have your own space. We resorted to eating in the living room back when my mess was all over the table. Funny how we still don't eat at the table most of the time, only now it's just the two of us. I'm so excited for you. Don't take the smallest room,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I did it. We have an open concept kitchen/family room, so we never use the parlor. I still have a couch and chairs in there, but my scrapbox and all my other stuff is set up in there.
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

We recently moved and downsized, however one of the prerequisites to purchasing a home, was a room to turn into my craft room. It is in the front of the house, but at the end of the hall, so I can leave it messy if I'm in the middle of a project. It has a closet, but too much designed for clothes, so off came the doors, hanging bars and in went more shelves and a chest of drawers. We only have a great room for a living area which serves a living room, entry, dining room and kitchen, so I was really glad I could use this extra room for my craft room. I think your formal living room would be ideal---I would use such a room in a heartbeat as a stamp room. Just decide if you want drawers, shelves or both and if you want them closed in or open. Most such storage units cans be purchased or built by someone handy to suit your purposes. A lovely screen that you could perhaps decorate with some of your art pieces would be a good solution for blocking off some of the inevitable mess of this hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes