Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Receiving home made cards as gifts?

Hi,
I must declare that I'm not as sophisticated in card making as most of you seem to be. Your design, color and art work is gorgeous and inspires me to do better.

My neighbors have given each other holiday gifts over the years and sometimes its a purchased gift and other times its homemade, i.e. candy, breads, cookies, etc. I'm financially strapped this year and was thinking that perhaps I could make a 1/2 dozen cards for each person as a gift. I'd need to make about 50 cards, so I'd be doing simple, one-page-wonder types of designs. Would gift tags be better? I'll wrap them in a glassine bag and cover with a highly decorated (Anna Griffin) holiday card for that family from me.

How would you feel about receiving them as a gift? If you have any one-page-wonder or templates you can recommend for volume card making, please share.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.
mob
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I see that this is the thread you want to keep, so even though I found the other one first I'll post here ;-).
In my experience cards go down well as gifts!
And while I've never given them, I've been on the receiving end of gift tags and I loved that! I'm always scrambling at the last minute to make those for Christmas.
I'm not sure whether Sue linked to this - it's a great way of presenting them and making them into a more special gift: Christmas Tag Wallet Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am doing the same thing. And I wonder how many cards to give? I am doing 1 Thank you card, 2 Happy Birthday cards, 2 Get Well cards, and 1 Miss you card for each person on my list. I am doing the Shutter card, Step card and several different
flip cards. I have 14 done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have received cards as a gift and I loved them. Sometimes I just don't have the time to make a card or sometimes not the mojo so knowing I have an emergency stash is great. Also, and I have not done this but think I will, they could take them to work and stash them in their desk drawer for unexpected birthdays, sympathy, get well or whatever you make cards. I would think that neighbors/friends would appreciate the effort and creativity. As one with multiple odd food allergies I would love cards over food/candy gifts.
HTH
Kathy T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a great idea! Go with it and your friends and neighbors will be delighted!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be honored if I received a gift of cards. I love making them and giving them as gifts. To me, if someone gave me that gift, it would mean that they really cared about me to make me something that special.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Cook 22, Love that wallet and plan to give one a try. Those tags look so easy, too! I have the Stampin Up set of tags from long ago that are horizontal.

If I make cards, I'll do six for each person and depending on the family, do birthday, mother's and father's day, congrats, thank you, get well, and sympathy.

If I do tags, I'll do a dozen each. If I go this way and get them done by Thanksgiving, maybe I'll give early so that they can use them over the holidays.

thanks,
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #8  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who would be very disappointed if I didn't give her a box of handmade greeting cards at Christmas!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,380 Likes on 514 Posts

When I give gifts of homemade cards, I ALWAYS get very enthusiastic thank yous! People do still love to send cards, but I think they find it a hassle to go to the store to get them. To have a ready supply on hand, plus to have them beautifully made, is so appreciated. In fact, I leave a box at my church filled with cards for people to take as they need for free, and I am constantly re-stocking it. I say go ahead and give your cards because they will be very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't seem to put my hands on the tutorial, but Dina makes really pretty tags by coloring a large image then laying a bunch of dies in place so each tag gets a little piece of the colored image. Here's a set of them so you know what I mean. I know she did a blog post about the technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't often made sets of greeting cards as gifts, but I often make sets of personalized note cards as presents for people. They are always well received, and my friends and family look forward to receiving them from me.

Here are a couple of examples. I do the names on my computer in different fonts, and then add simple accents. I make a box with a matching belly band and add the envelopes, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Receiving home made cards as gifts?-note-cards-owls-001.jpg   Receiving home made cards as gifts?-note-julie-001.jpg  

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I've made sets for teacher's gifts. I don't put any writing on them. Nothing on the front nor inside. That way they can use them as they want.

I'd love to receive a set of homemade cards from someone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I have given cards as gifts on numerous occasions and the recipients have always seemed thrilled. In fact, someone who works for the same company I do, but in a neighboring town recently took a new job. I made her 20 cards and put them in a decorative bag with a good pen. She was so excited about the gift and I learned she, too, is a stamper and we are now getting together on a regular basis to stamp. I would much rather get cards then baked goods :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

I would LOVE to receive home-made cards/tags/note-sets as gifts. I find it quite ironic that even though all of my friends know I love to make cards, it NEVER occurs to them that I would love to receive hand-made cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I would love to receive homemade gift cards or gift tags. I think that would be one of the best gifts in the world.

Bugga- I love your cards. You inspired me.

This is a great thread. I am having a homemade holiday this year too. I am adding cards to my list of gifts to make. Thank you mobrien for the inspiration.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there is nothing better than homemade and anyone who doesnt appreciate homemade needs to be struck off the gift list.
I love making cards and I love giving them away. I often make card sets or just a mix of this and that and gift them for Christmas, birthdays or just because.
Last year some people I work with from the Netherlands came to visit so I sent them home with a gift pack for each person in the office (15) and to post onto the others in America (6) as postage is so high from Australia and work was happy to cover the postage.
I sent cards, postit note covers, little note cards, gift card holders and lots of decorated hat pins. I have never enjoyed myself so much and the responses were so positive I'm getting ready for the next visit from the Netherlands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I echo so many sentiments here. I enjoy making cards of all types, so it is a pleasure for me to share this love with people who also like to send/receive cards. I try a set of varying themes that can be used with both genders. When I worked at a public school, I'd dash off a brief note in a simple card to co-workers or students who did something thoughtful or were facing some difficulty. My former advisees who ranked in the top 5 at graduation this year received a handwritten message at their homes because I've since retired. Can you believe I received a handwritten note of appreciation for congratulating them? A relative always has a stash of my CAS cards in her office desk drawer, to be used when the unexpected occurs and is shared at work. She likes to write her own message inside, so I leave that blank. A card-making friend is active at her church, and found that the religious sisters appreciated her note cards. Her gifts are a standard pack of 12 embossed cards/envelopes; for the holidays, she includes a book of stamps. I've never given tags, but have used them on the fronts of cards! We love homemade gifts. Too often, a person's time and talents are undervalued. A set of handmade cards honors both the giver and receiver, I think. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I can't seem to put my hands on the tutorial, but Dina makes really pretty tags by coloring a large image then laying a bunch of dies in place so each tag gets a little piece of the colored image. Here's a set of them so you know what I mean. I know she did a blog post about the technique.
It's here:

Power Poppy - The Blog: Pretty little tags...

Thanks Gail!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Giving cards as gifts is a great idea. I pre-stamp the envelopes which only costs a few cents more and give people more incentive to actually use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I think giving handmade cards is a wonderful idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

I give card every year as gifts, I usually get "hints" from each person on what kins of cards they want lol. I make 6 to 12 cards with a matching gift tag for each card and some chocolates and package them different each year, I always make the packaging part of the gift a nice decorated reusable container of some sort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by chihuahua-momView Post
I give card every year as gifts, I usually get "hints" from each person on what kins of cards they want lol. I make 6 to 12 cards with a matching gift tag for each card and some chocolates and package them different each year, I always make the packaging part of the gift a nice decorated reusable container of some sort.
Love the idea of making a matching tag to go with each card!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Dina,
I just love your work and what a great idea! Now, I just have to find the righ stamp to paint and cut!
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I give sets of cards to my elderly neighbors and to those people who help me out throughout the year...a fellow who clears my driveway, the postman etc. My thinking is everyone needs a cards at sometime to give away so I give a dozen to each..... birthday, sympathy, get well, wedding, congratulations etc. When I make a card I like I just go on and make 4-5 more of the same and put them in my pile to give away. They really seem to like them and at least it is something they can use!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I sure wish I was your neighbor Wonderful and useful gift!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

I made a box of cards last year for my mother for her birthday. I made 4 birthday card for men and 4 for women, for 8 get-well cards (she sends a lot of get-well cards), 4 sympathy cards, 4 thank you cards, 4 hello cards and 10 all occasion cards. I got dividers with tabs and separated them by category and put them in a photo box from Hobby Lobby. I also included a book of stamps.

She loved them. A couple of her friends who were at her party, asked me to make them a box of cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

I don't give them away any more. I have made boxes of thinking of you, just a note and blank cards for my sister because she sends hundreds out each year. She has never used any of them. When I asked her, she said she thought her friends would think she was cheap. I honestly didn't think my cards were that horribly bad, but I stopped giving sets of them as gifts to anyone because I really do put my heart in to creating them.

-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
I don't give them away any more. I have made boxes of thinking of you, just a note and blank cards for my sister because she sends hundreds out each year. She has never used any of them. When I asked her, she said she thought her friends would think she was cheap. I honestly didn't think my cards were that horribly bad, but I stopped giving sets of them as gifts to anyone because I really do put my heart in to creating them.

-
Well, Boo to your sis. She is the loser for not sending your lovely cards. I just strolled through your gallery and your cards are beautiful.

I do understand that some people have the mind set that "homemade" is cheap. I do not feel that way at all. I think that "handmade" is special and much more appealing than something mass produced by a machine.

If you go to some of the fancy boutiques, you will see that they charge a bundle for anything that is "handmade."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
e.
If you go to some of the fancy boutiques, you will see that they charge a bundle for anything that is "handmade."
I am the girl over here that is always frugal this, frugal that. Confession time- I shop at high end boutiques. This is why. I am a frugalista. I am proud of it. My #1 frugal rule is quantity over quality. Shopping at higher end boutiques I feel that I am purchasing a hand made item of top quality. For the most part clientele of boutiques feel the same that I do. Handmade is art. Handmade lasts a lifetime. Handmade is a status piece.

Look through any high end fashion or design magazine and most of the articles are profiling artists, crafters & designers who garner top dollar for their creations.

I read a lot of magazines. I read about thirty a month. I see a lot of beautiful handmade stationery and note cards in my magazines. You go to Pinterest and what do you see a lot of? Handmade stationery, wedding invitations, etc...

If any here is feeling like their note cards would not be well received. Then make them for a different recipient. Trust me, lovely handmade cards are class.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 01:36 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

I have given sets of my cards in handmade boxes to my close friends for their birthdays and Christmas. They love receiving them, and are disappointed that I have moved across to the other side of Australia, and won't be able to continue this for a while until I get settled. I have also sent of a batch of my cards to relatives to reduce my stash. They love them, and I have room to make more cards. Win/win in my book!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 01:38 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I am always giving card sets to friends, doctors and staff as gifts. It is always appreciated. Young people are so busy that the cards a thoughtful gift. I have been
doing it for over 10 years and they are still appreciated.
Enjoy sharing your talent! Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cards as gifts

When my mom and I travel overseas with a certain company a home hosted meal is included. It is customary to bring a small gift. While most people bring t-shirts or mementos of their home towns I gave hand made note cards. The recipient is always surprised and delighted to know that I stamped them. Our host in France actually showed me into her craft room. I say, for for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #33  
Glitter Queen

I've given card collections 3 times now, twice to one of my sisters and once for my mother-in-law - they have been very well received and I found it a fun thing to do. To make a whole bunch of cards with no single recipient in mind is very liberating I'll post links here in case anyone wants to see:

45 Cards for a Sister | Crafty Jo`s blog of craft techniques

M-I-L Christmas Collection | Crafty Jo`s blog of craft techniques

Card Collection as a Gift | Crafty Jo`s blog of craft techniques
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 05:12 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

I personally love getting handmade cards as gifts. I have also given sents of cards (hair dresser, manicurist, teachers) to supplement small gift cards during holidays or end of school year. The one set I made and gave out turned out to be one of the well received. I went to the craft store and boughy flower paper when they were on clearance (10 for $1). I cut out the small designs on the paper and layered then onto coordinating CS that matched, added some ribbon and brads and had a beautiful set of note cards for CHEAP! Every card was different, plus I made up some generic greeting labels to add (birthday, get well, thinking of you, etc.).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

What a lovely thread.
One reason I began stamping is to give gifts of handmade cards. Our oldest daughter was graduating from High School and I needed thank you notes for her.
Every year from that point on, I gave/give a box of handmade thank you cards to graduates as a gift. I buy the boxes that look like "books" from the big box store and fill them with thank you cards in their school colors. 20 - 25 depending on how good the friendship is, stamps and a good pen.
They LOVE them! The box is great to travel with to college. It becomes a stationery box on their book shelf at school. They all LOVE sending and receiving cards at college. Email, twitter and facebook are great, but we all can help them remember how fantastic it is to get "mail" in their mailboxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't know what I would do if no one loved getting boxed gift cards. It is my passion. I share these boxed cards with friends and family. Boxed note cards for birthday gifts, to just because I am think of you or special boxed gift cards for my 10 year old granddaughter. And now I have her hooked making cards. I use plastic boxes with a stretch gold ribbon around it from Clearsnap. They hold from 5-6 cards and present really well. I am not really good at repetition as I am always wanting to try something different so usually the boxed cars are totally different for each person. Happy Card Making, Harriettb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Question Fonts and Computer printing

You've inspired me to do sets for Xmas gifts this year! Anybody know of safe sites for buying fonts? Also a tutorial on computer printing for cards? TIA

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 07:09 AM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I definitely think handmade cards are a great gift. In fact, I do cards specifically for people-get stamps just for them/personal note cards. The gift is "bottomless"-meaning anytime they run out, they let me know and another 12 are given. Usually lasts about a year. I'll be making a new design now for a new person for xmas....I have 4 people on my list so far-will be 5. A mixed bag sounds like a great outlet for trying different techniques.

Sometimes I upgrade good stationary I find at box stores like Cranes...I LOVE when I find plain note paper I can do a little embossed image on top of to personalize. I did a set for me with gardening tools.

I love getting handmade cards. My cousin made me some. Was happy as a clam with them!

Cheap?? That's crazy to me. Often the attitude of people who wont make a thing and have NO clue. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
You've inspired me to do sets for Xmas gifts this year! Anybody know of safe sites for buying fonts? Also a tutorial on computer printing for cards? TIA
I usually download fonts from dafont.com. I don't know what you're looking for on a tutorial, but you could print the sentiment, cut it out or die cut it, and attach it to the card.

Or, in Word, you can noodle with the placement that you want on scrap paper and then insert the cardstock into the printer before you do any other stamping or embellishing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

Default On a mission

In years past, I have noticed that after attending bridal and baby showers for many of the "younger generation", there is often no thank you sent out for gifts received. So, I have made it my mission to try and correct that. All shower gifts from me now include a package of thank you notes (anywhere from 20-40, it seems). I have found that since I have been doing this, the thank yous have always been sent.
It also gives me a chance to "practice" some cards that I had intended to make, but hadn't tried yet. The pack is always a mixed bag, never just the same pattern repeated.
On the down side, I have had brides send me back a "store bought" thank you because they had sent all of the "nice ones" to their families and friends...hehe.
Also, I have gotten a few "sales" from people who received one of my thank you notes.
Win ,win, I say.
Reply With Quote Likes