UnderstandBlue
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue
Exclamation 2014 Master Challenge Thread *locked*

You Raise Me Up

Hostess: Understandblue aka Lydia
Keyword: HYCCT1401A
Date: Wednesday, October 1st, 2014

Welcome to Hope You Can Cling To - Year 5!!

This community has been absolutely amazing for the breast cancer patients at MD Anderson over the past five years, sending thousands of handmade cards for patients and their families, and bringing joy and art to people who need it the most. I've just been amazed by what you've done and continue to do, selflessly and joyfully, to lift spirits and share your talent in a way that really matters.

So I wanted a challenge to start us off this year that I felt really conveyed what Hope You Can Cling To is all about - and that's raising other people up. Being strong when other people are weak. That's what you do so well, and I'm so, so grateful to watch all of you do it!

So I took my inspiration from the utterly fantastic Josh Groban song, You Raise Me up, and....

my challenge is Paper Tole!

Now paper tole is not just popping an element up on your card - it's a true technique that takes a little time and practice. You color several images, cut parts of them out, shape them using a stylus and a soft mat to have a rounded look, and then use a dimensional adhesive to pop them up over a colored version of your image. Take some time to learn this - it's very fun and such a unique look for your card!

We have an AMAZING step-by-step tutorial on this technique here and here's the video from it:

I tried it two different ways. The first time, I colored the image underneath and used a gel glue to adhere it. Glue is nice because you can move your image around for a while, but it requires a little patience, depending on how fast your glue dries.

The second sample, I did what Mariska did in the tutorial - shading under my image with a grey marker instead of coloring the full image underneath, and I used clear dimensional adhesive under my toled pieces. This was quicker, but less forgiving.

To round my cut pieces, I used an embossing stylus and my foam piercing mat - I rubbed the back of each piece gently with the stylus until the piece developed a rounded front.

So play around and do what works for you! I look forward to your projects! Be sure and come back here and post a link to what you've done!

And remember, the most important part of this month is the day you MAIL your cards to the ladies at MD Anderson. The rest of your job is to chat, create and have FUN.

Need a little music to inspire you? Here's that lovely song:

VIEW THE GALLERY FOR THIS CHALLENGE HERE
View the Hope You Can Cling To Gallery HERE
View the Hope You Can Cling To Master Challenge Thread HERE

UPLOADING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. All Hope You Can Cling To Challenge Entries must be uploaded to the Hope You Can Cling To Gallery, with the specific challenge keyword, no later than November 7th, 2014 at 12:00 Noon Central Time to be eligible for our fabulous prizes! Post a link to your entry in this thread.
2. You may not combine challenges, but you are welcome to create multiple cards for each challenge.
3. Please remember to put in the correct keyword when uploading your image. Copying and pasting the challenge keyword is recommended to avoid typos.
4. Please package all challenge entries with an envelope, protected with a clear plastic bag and mail them to our partner at the UT MD Anderson Cancer Center to benefit patients being treated for breast cancer and their family. We would like for them to receive cards throughout the month of October, but we understand if you'd like to mail all your cards at once.
5. Since these cards will be used by visitors for patients, most should be blank inside, but feel free to send cards with messages of hope for the patients in addition to your challenge cards!

The Department of Volunteer Services – Unit 115
Attn: Maggi Suttles
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Boulevard
Houston, TX 77030

Thank you for participating in this card drive!
Attached Images
File Type: png HYCCT 023 copy.png (522.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: png HYCCT 013 copy.png (507.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Scooting By to Say Hi.jpg (43.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg HYCCT1401A_by_LMcAree.jpg (30.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg cupoflove_JBgreendawn_by_JBgreendawn.jpg (58.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9483_by_dini.JPG (42.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg HYCCT1401A_Attempt_The_Impossible_by_mamaxsix.JPG (47.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: png WT4948lc22_by_Cook22.png (597.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg thanks HYCCT1401B thread.jpg (158.5 KB, 39 views)

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store | My Online Classes
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 10-01-2014 at 06:19 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!