Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Straight layers

I must have a crooked head or crooked eyes or SOMETHING!! It seems that no matter what I do, I always end up just a teensy bit "off" when I add the layers to my cards. I hover over each layer before pressing down just to be sure I am straight and even on all sides and I let go of the paper...and...dangit! Crooked AGAIN!! What is it that I am missing? The same thing happens when I use a wheel (I have mine unmounted). I put them straight on the mount that has the grid lines...line it up across the bottom of my card...and whammo, crooked. My tears tend to give a nice water color look but I would really rather just have things be straight!! Help?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've learned to live with wonky layers. However, many people, including Lydia, use a lazer level. Hopefully she'll chime in with the details.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I borrowed Lydia's idea to get a laser level (she uses a pricier one than I do - I went to Harbor Freight and found one for under $20) and it really does help.

Here's a link to her blog post, which includes a video of how she uses the level:
Lydia's Laser.

The only issue I've run into is my son (27 years old, so old enough to know better) is fascinated with my level and has to mess around with it every time he comes down to the crafting cave. And he has to come down to the crafting cave whenever he does his laundry. So the batteries go dead faster than they should
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I have the lazar level it works great, another thing that helps me is a lined clear ruler. If you use a liquid glue such as mono multi adhesive you have a little wiggle time.

Here's what my ruler looks like, I bought it at Hobby Lobby, and I find it useful for lots of things:

Sandwhich Line Agrment Ruler/plastic Ruler Manufacturer, Supplier & Exporter - ECPlaza
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

LOL at the tears giving a great watercolour effect. When I really want to be sure mine are perfect I use Perfect Layers. But it works on the opposite principal to the way I normally operate, which is to start with my biggest layer and then trim each one smaller. And it doesn't do 1/32" if you use it with the previous layer stuck down. But I still think it was worth buying, and it lives where I can always find it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 06:22 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

all great suggestions...I roll with the 'it's handmade, the bits are that are not dead straight add to its charm'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
all great suggestions...I roll with the 'it's handmade, the bits are that are not dead straight add to its charm'
This is me! I have the perfect laying tools, don't really like them. I tried a ruler, made me too nervous, and really got in my way because while I was lineing everything up, I kept hitting the ruler.

So I have just decided that my crooked cards, is just part of my personality and what makes my cards unique!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 07:26 AM   #8  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
My tears tend to give a nice water color look but I would really rather just have things be straight!! Help?
BWAHAHA!!!

Thanks to photoshop, I know for a fact that my eyeballs are off EXACTLY three degrees. I have a 3 degree tilt whether I'm stamping or photographing. I use my laser level, washi tape instead of pencil lines and my grid paper to combat my inner wonkiness.

Sometimes I just put layers on deliberately at an angle when I'm too tired to fight!!

Now I'm off to set up a Mix-Ability Tears of Frustration challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks everyone!! I think I am going to sneak in to the bear's den and see if I can find a laser level! I am sure he has one out there somewhere...at least 1 I am so glad to know that I am not alone in this crooked little world I live in
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

One tip I have is maybe using a liquid glue. I use the tombow multi almost exclusively because it gives me some wiggle room when I glue down! It stays wet for a few seconds and I can nudge my paper to get it straight if that makes sense. Not as precise as Lydia's level but I'm too lazy for that lol! But it does help me and I can make a bottle last a long time!!!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's why I love Perfect Layers from Perfect Paper Crafting!

I was really skeptical about this tool before I tried it. I didn't think I really had a problem with cutting my layers to the correct size - even just eyeballing it.

My problem was that once I cut the layers, I would layer them crookedly. That's why Perfect Layers is ... perfect! You adhere the top layer first, then the tool butts up against it and you cut the mat layer underneath. With the top already adhered in place, the whole issue of lining up the mat(s) is no longer a problem.

(Your tears and watercolor comment was so cute!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This might sound dumb but could you possibly use a stamp a ma jig? Never tried it myself, I get pretty close or if you are just a little off maybe a couple glasses of wine could counter act and you could get it where you want.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 283 Likes on 183 Posts

I haven't seen some of the tools mentioned here, so I will have to check them out

I often have something a bit off. When I cut w/ a guillotine cutter, the paper moves just enough to be annoying. When I use my cutter with the, hmmm, what do you call it..blade-in-the-track... I swear mine is off a bit because even BEFORE I cut my paper, it doesn't line up correctly.

So I am doomed before I even adhere layers down! LOL

I often use angles to cover-up my errors. If I try to put layers on straight, but they are crooked just a bit, I say it's my trademark

"I have scoliosis..and so does my card!"

Yes...I have literally said this to people :rolleyes:
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a stamp I use on the back OF MY CARDS when I make any huge blunders. It reads:
This is an individually crafted WORK OF ART. Any splotches, smudges or other irregularities are intentional and do not diminish the quality of this piece in any way.

I have had this stamp for years and I use it often - especially when I color with markers. It seems I always smear or smudge when I color. I have also struggled with layering and when I make a card that is crazy crooked, I usually try to cover up with a punched flower, butterfly, leaf, etc. Just a little something so the uneven layers are not quite so obvious - kind of puts the focus elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

All of my layers are always crooked and so were my seams when I sewed. Measuring with a ruler didn't help, still off and I hated Perfect Layers and using a kraft knife. I usually angle all my layers and this has now become my trademark!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I agree that Perfect Layers are good but I find it difficult working 'in reverse' with the layers, also I find the knife can slip off line. I go with the 'make it deliberately wonky' method or add an embellishment to distract the eye.
Ruth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried Perfect Layers and I didn't like it. I tried to sell it in my garage sale and no body wanted it. I bought a laser board thingy and it was just too big so it sits unloved. I keep going back to the same method of using 2 C-Thru rulers. They have a simple grid that allows me to align my layers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:23 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuvsView Post
This is an individually crafted WORK OF ART. Any splotches, smudges or other irregularities are intentional and do not diminish the quality of this piece in any way..
LOVE THIS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:29 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

First off, make sure you have a good paper trimmer. If your edges aren't square, no matter how well you place them, they will always look crooked on at least one side. I do two things to help me layer straight.

One is to virtually always work in even increments. I don't cut anything to weird measurements. I never cut a my image out without making sure the borders equal a nice number in no smaller than 1/8" increments. I used to just place it in my trimmer and check to see what border looked nice. But then I had trouble adding an exact 1/4" (or whatever) to it for the mat. If for some unusual reason I have to use an odd measurement, like working with a die cut, I do tend to use perfect layers even tho I despise cutting against a ruler with a craft knife. I just thought of this now but you could use a handheld rotary trimmer! They are more stable, have comfier handles and require less pressure.

Two is to use a quilting ruler (I have several sizes but 6x6 works for most cards) to line things up. Just place the quilting ruler up against your card base, a previous layer or your mat then line up the layer you are adding. The Tim holtz ruler would work for mats but sometimes a layer is too far from the edge for its width. And you need the ruler to be longer than an inch (using it the other way) for anything other than the tiniest layers.

A tip from Sheri Carroll: if you are using foam squares, only remove the backing from the middle ones. Place the panel and you can adjust it. Plus removing a panel with one or two foam dots is easier and less likely to warp or crease your panel and any possible tearing won't show. Then remove the other backings with tweezers. I suppose you could do the same with liquid glue if you have a long nozzle or skinny bottle. Place the middle glue, adjust your panel and let it dry. Then pick up the edges and squirt more glue around the edges. Slow but it would work if you have the time.

Also consider that sometimes an optical illusion happens on some cards. I happen to have a very accurate sense of straight but if a layer looks off, it sometimes is straight after all! I use a ruler with mm on it to get the most accurate measurement. I'm rarely out by more than 0.5mm. So if you are sure you used some method to get it straight fans it still looks off, be sure to check that it really is out!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:35 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Perfect Layers have already been mentioned. I usually have success with that technique despite the fact I have to use "reverse thinking" when assembling the card. I sometimes apply so much pressure with the craft knife that I cause the layering ruler to move just slightly OR I don't always cause the knife to follow the ruler edge and will have a "tail" near the corner. Like others, I disguise my "oops" or use my craft scissors to trim off uneven snipits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem and used my paper trimmers so much that the plastic on the sides of the groove (where you cut) now have grooves in them, so there is no way I can get a perfect cut on those tracts. I've tried many different trimmers, including the one with an arm, but somehow, it always cuts just a tad off from top to bottom. However, I hope I don't get "hate mail" for this but I think the charm of "handcrafting" is that you make things that might be a tad different than if it were mass produced. I used to be a "perfectionist" in my "work life" but I have learned not to sweat the small stuff. If you make Christmas ornaments for a bazaar, for example, if I make a dozen, no two are exactly alike. Handcrafting is not like using a machine to make a product that is exactly the same every time. Sometimes, you might be able to add an embellishment to an area that just doesn't quite line up - a handmade flower or leaves or bows. I'll bet it looks worse to the maker's" eyes than the receiver!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a quilting ruler with a grid printed on it. It's as close to straight as I'll ever get!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

I just bought Perfect Layers this summer and am glad to hear I'm not alone in having to rethink my layers to use it. After I dug out my unused glass mat and put in new blades in my knife and a bit of practice, I'm learning to like it. Not for every project but some. I agree that the paper trimmers are often the problem and have bought four in the past nine years of paper crafting. One the blade wiggles so can't cut straight, broke off the ruler on one, I hate the guillotine type (my paper always shifts as I cut) and one I use regularly but the blade falls out a lot. So I'm trying to learn to use a blade. I like the fiskars one with a place to put your finger through and cutting on glass is key for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The nice thing about the laser level as opposed to the Perfect Layers tool (besides the learning curve on the Perfect Layers) is that the laser level works on every shape, and lets you place that shape in the middle of a completely different shape and still have it straight.

F'rinstance, you stamp an image/sentiment on a deco labels shape and want it level on the front of your rectangular card - the level lets you do that (a big enough quilting ruler with gridlines would work as well). The Perfect Layers doesn't work for that sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a really good paper cutter. It's Friskars and I find it cuts really straight. It is the rotary blade one. Those little trimmers with a piece of razor blade are awful. I also measure with a ruler ALL THE TIME!!!! It drives my girlfriend nuts when we craft together I'd say 98% of the time, my layers are straight. Another option if it works for your card design is to use dies. I have a large collection of Spellbinders and that takes all of the guesswork out of it. Hope this helps.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Just struggling with that this morning! I use a Tonic 12" cutter which works well, but for making small even cuts for mats I use my 6" Fiskars. Both are guillotine cutters. I tried the Perfect Square but hated using a craft knife! Have been fighting perfectionism for my whole life! tee hee

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I join you in the watermark of tears. I have this problem too. I think it is beautiful and perfect and then take a look again and realize I'm all crooked once again. The laser sounds interesting. But my wood mounts may not all be straight either. But it could help me put my layers on straight which would be a miracle!

Keep the responses coming. I bet we aren't the only ones that can use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I emailed Perfect Layers about making a set of straight edges/squares that would allow us to trim our papers inward (decreasing the border) quite awhile back when I purchased their current products. I received no response. I made a set myself with cereal box cardboard, but I have to draw a line then cut it after with a metal straight edge or my Fiskars cutter as the edge would not hold up to a knife blade very long. Maybe they will come out with something soon....or some other company will. It would be useful in our card making for sure. I do use a grid ruler but it is quite easy to mess up and measure incorrectly on one of the edges.

Also I have another tool that is sometimes handy. It is a parallel ruler used in old fashioned drafting (pre-computers) and navigation as well. See attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Straight layers-index.jpg  

Last edited by Cre8ive Mind; 09-10-2014 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: I had myself a little mixed up there. I don't have the perfect layers with me right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow this certainly got everyone commenting. I remember the last time this came up and I added my comments and then Lynda saved the day with the laser level video. I mentioned it in passing when talking with a friend and her partner gave me his laser level which he has hardly used. Yahoo. If I forget to use it my cards all have a tilt but then I compensate by tilting my head to the side a bit and bingo 'its perfect'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #30  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Ah, being a little crooked just gives it character.....makes it look handmade....I mean gee, add a cat hair somewhere on the card and you'd have one of my creations! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I agree that getting your cuts straight in the first place is crucial. I have a great guillotine cutter that has a piece on the blade that holds the paper firmly in place when it is being cut. My "off-cuts" are all my bad as in my haste (why am I always in a hurry?), I don't always raise the arm all the way up and insert the card stock into the cutter slightly off. Since the grid on my cutter has nearly all worn off, I am not always aware of this mistake until I am assembling. No amount of positioning will fix this, so either I go with it, or redo that piece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by russnzellaView Post
Ah, being a little crooked just gives it character.....makes it look handmade....I mean gee, add a cat hair somewhere on the card and you'd have one of my creations! ;)
I laughed so hard at this! I was taking a picture of a card for my blog the other day and had to retake them because of the cat hair. I didn't see it until I uploaded the pictures to my computer!

I am notorious for placing crooked layers down! Unless it is just horrible looking, I leave it and say, "well it IS handmade!" It would be awesome if someone would invent a dry glue that is repositionable for like 5 minutes so you can take it off and correct it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Am I the only one that has received/seen a store bought card that didn't have perfect layers? Seriously, sometimes those robots aren't calibrated right. Don't sweat the small stuff. This isn't about perfection, it's about expression and sharing. Enjoy the process!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by russnzellaView Post
Me too. Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

I love the Perfect Layers Tool......requires practice, but the cards look soooo beautiful. It's true, though, that you need a good cutter.....I have seen many cards that would have been lovely, but the ragged edges ruined it for me. But that's me...Type A, OCPD, first born, etc. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #36  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen McView Post
I use a quilting ruler with a grid printed on it. It's as close to straight as I'll ever get!
I have never been very successful using paper cutters. For the past several years, I have used a rotary cutter and 6" x 12" quilter's ruler. I also found some clear film that fits on the back of the ruler to keep it from slipping. This method took me a bit of practice, but with time I got very precise cuts. (I secretly cringe when I attend my card group and a few of the gals bring wonky layers.) I also sometimes use this online paper cutting calculator for prepping kits or multiple cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 05:51 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

I LOVE my Perfect Layers rulers, but I do not love using a craft knife!

I use them with a rotary cutter, I now keep one for paper and one for fabric.

Hope this helps those who don't get on with them

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I suffer from wonky too.

First of all, make sure your card is straight! If you buy pre mades a lot of them are NOT. And you are torturing yourself in a hopeless cause. Either the paper was not cut straight or the pre-embossed fold line isnt straight....once it is folded-check it!

I agree strongly with there are some tools in life we just have to suck it up and spend the money and cutters is one. I finally got a Purple Cow guillotine and it has helped so much over rotary that now I will save for a really good one.

I think laser levels are a GREAT idea to give Dhs for Bday/xmas gifts! It is a tool! They can ID with that. I know what is going on my bday list! Just tell them you dont want one three feet long lol.

Here's a tip my baseball coach gave me decades ago to help hit the ball more often/well. Figure out your "strong eye" to track it coming in.

Look at something across the room. With both eyes on it, stretch out your arm and put your finger "on it". Now close one eye at a time while keeping your arm out. One eye should be right on it and one eye is going to have your finger off it, possibly quite a bit.

Try layering using just your strong eye. Might help. I dont know what effect glasses will have. They might already correct for it. I test myself without them.

If it doesnt help with this, it might with playing catch with the kids or GKs.

Having said that....This was always a problem for me. Cutting and straight lays. I am in LOVE with the Spellbinders layering mat sets. Not cheap so I got them with big sales/coupons one at a time. There are 2 sets for each card size. I have both now for A2 and A7. Unfortunately the A6 disappeared off the planet before I could get it. :( After that, it's other dies around a sentiment.

Now getting it on straight...that's another problem. I use double sided tape so I really need to in the right place. I start with bottom/top. So I have that even and then do the sides. Once I feel confident, I'll press down. It is much better now but still could be off by a smidge.

Visually I find the closer the layer colors are, the less noticeable it is. Big contrast really shows more.

If you use a pattern paper as the base or stamp it...the wonky *might* not show so much. If you stamp over the layers, extending the image, that would also hide it. DP could be your friend here-if it has stripes, use them to your advantage-I do find vertical more helpful than horizontal.

I might do something like use Stickles around a border which covers minor sins. The idea of popping something over the worst part-terrific.

Finally, I have been known to shave a card on the guillotine to even out.

Sorry this is so long but maybe something here will be helpful. I know I suffer myself with this a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #39  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Sad thing about the Spellbinders dies is that they only suit the US market (OK, probably North America). But for sure, they don't work for Europe and Australia :-(, because we share a common standard paper size which is different to the American one. Saves me some money, anyway!
I've often used my Tim Holtz ruler (I think someone might have mentioned that, if memory serves me correctly), but the markings are wearing off my second one. This week I got an EK Success one which looks good so far. It's 15" long (so it extends over the edges of a sheet of 12x12, and the markings are in black AND white so they show well on whatever colour of card you have underneath. I also got a little mini 6" one - colour me happy .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

My tip for placement of layers - Work with the widest side on the landscape! eg., 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 have the 5 1/2 as the width. I do much better with placement that way. I just eyeball it and usually do well.

My problem is my scanner. If it put the card to any corner, it cuts off 1/8 inch of the card so I have to place it in the middle somewhere and then have problems keeping the card level so I end up with crooked scans.

My best cutter for squaring off is the 5 x 7 Creative Memories guillotine cutter. It has a little 1/8 decorative line on the plastic guard that you can line up your cardstock to cut.

Great thread!

CCC, MMTPT, QFTD156, Cards for a Cause

Rita/scootsv
Reply With Quote Likes