Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you were starting over...

I am not the smartest person... I quit stamping about five years ago and sold it all. (Yes, everything I owned. It's ok to cry with me.) I wish I could tell you why. I don't know.

BUT I'm now getting back into it (with a solemn oath that I will never again sell a single thing). So I have to start over. I only have my paper cutter and bone folder from my original supplies.

So, tell me, if YOU were starting fresh, what would be your must have tools and supplies? I've already have some Copics and stamps, but I'm wondering what I should focus on as a I rebuild. My mind wants everything I used to have, but my bank account says I should probably start small.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a cuttlebug, big shot, or something like that. I use mine every day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I second the Big Shot - I use it daily. (and I am crying with you)

A heat gun, bone folders and some good ribbon scissors. Also a fabby watercolor medium like Inktense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, heat gun, watercolour medium like the Inktense pencils and/ or Distress Inks. Distress Inks can be used for sooooo much: blending, water colouring, colouring of images, stamping etc. now Tim Holtz has come out with the mini ink pads makes it much more accessible i.e. Small for storage and less in expenditure. Get the new blending tool and little round blending pads to go with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with the Big Shot/Big Kick, some embossing folders and dies and Distress Inks. I've been stamping for over 20 years and now these are some of my favorite things to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes on the big shot, Love it!! The distress inks are so awesome. Look up Jennifer McGuire's blog, she has so many uses for them. I would invest in the minis, she has a great video showing how to use them with embossing folders and the big pads don't work as well.
Yarn or twine for card making. I find that I prefer that over ribbon (and you should see my ribbon collection
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone! I used to have a cuttlebug and I wasn't in love, but maybe I will have to give a Big Shot a go! I mainly used the cuttlebug for embossing and that wasn't really my thing, but I can definitely see how useful they would be for dies! I'm going to have to put one on my list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

First thing I would do BEFORE I start purchasing "again" would be to tell myself not to over spend.

If you think your style has changed, go very slow in stamp purchases until you find out what you like.

Do not get caught you in all the Design Teams releases. You do not have to have everything at one time, and you do not have to have all the 'New in things".

I learned a long time ago, that I do not have to compete with anyone. This is a hobby and it should be fun. The moment this does not become fun, it is not worth doing. Also your "solemn oath that I will never again sell a single thing".

Well there will be a time that you out grow stuff and styles change. So purging is a GOOD thing!!

Just my 2 cents, you can do what you want. But to tell you the honest truth, I would have to be missing stamping like a long lost relative to start investing in a hobby allover again.

I think I would just put the extra money I had from not having a hobby towards a vacation or a retirement fund;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Gee, that's a tough question. There is sooooooooo much out there. I guess I would start small, buying what I really love as far as stamps and paper. Stay kind of general so you can get a lot of use out of your stuff. As far as tools, I use a lot of punches and dies. You may want to load up on adhesive too. I use more of that than anything!

Maybe if you ask yourself why you quit doing cards, it may help you define why you want to start again. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I thought of one thing that is always on my desk, that's my Memento inks! LOVE them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #11  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of great tips.

Designate storage areas and don't exceed capacity (MUCH easier said than done).

If I were starting over, I would be sure to start (and maintain) an inventory of all supplies.

Always buy a reinker for every inkpad (even mini cubes ... they're fun for lots of techniques).

You do not need every item in a collection. Just because a manufacturer makes ... IDK ... mini clothespins to coordinate with the patterned paper you love doesn't mean you have to have them. Especially if mini clothespins are not your style.

For images etc. that you need but will get limited use of (for me it's baby and kid-oriented stamps because the majority of the kids are close cousins so, for me, it is too much effort to make it look different 15 or 20 times), consider clearance bins, trade forums or go digital.

HTH and the best tip of all is to have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 12:30 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree that a Big Shot and some versatile dies are a good investment. As far as stamps go - only buy the ones that speak to your heart (loudly) and/or that have a lot of versatility. A friend of mine will only buy a set if she likes more than 50% of the images in it. I'm a little more lax, but I don't keep the ones I know I won't use - I gift them to someone else or sell them cheap. You might want to buy individual stamps as opposed to sets. Consider what kind of stamps you prefer and how you plan to store them. I like unmounted rubber and photopolymer, and store them on laminated cardstock. You can get a lot of stamps in a very small space that way. If you prefer wood mounted, you will need more acreage for storage

If I didn't already have a set of blocks, I may consider the MISTI - it's getting some good reviews in THIS THREAD. (I may consider it, anyway...) I never use my full-size Martha Stewart scoring board, but I use the small one all the time. I also agree that a heat gun and some embossing powders are useful. I personally prefer metallics and clear (with clear you can have any color you want - stamp that color, emboss in clear - so you don't have to invest in colored powders unless you want to).

I wanted a lot of ink colors but didn't want to have to figure out storage for a bizillion full-size pads or invest that much $$ in the project, so I just bought ink refills for the ones I wanted and made my own minis. You can read about that HERE. Since that post I have acquired three of the Stackers full of minis (60 stamp pads total). They take up the same footprint as 12 full-size Stampin'Up! pads, plus they're completely portable.

Paper seems to be everyone's love/hate thing. If I didn't already have a stash, I'd probably stick with the 6" pads or individual sheets - the scale is better for cards and they're easier to store. Again - only buying what you truly love AND WILL USE and then actually using it(!) are key.

Copics are on almost everyone's radar, but I haven't invested there yet. I have the "poor man's Copics", also known as Bic MarkIt markers. I also have the Spectrum Noir, but I'm not a fan, so they're getting sold at my moving sale next weekend. If you want to invest in Copics, I'd suggest trying a few to see if you love them. There are different styles and nibs, so you might want to see which of those you prefer, as well.

Okay - I'm done with my novel now... welcome back to the stamping world!

Last edited by gregzgurl; 09-06-2014 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Well glad I'm not the only one who did that. I can feel your pain on this one because I did the same thing about 5 years ago and then about 3 years later decided I wanted to stamp again. Trust me there was a big forehead slap that day :-D

My suggestions:

Big Shot and some basic shape dies (circles, ovals, etc) to start. You can get a Big Shot on Overstock.com for $65 right now. That's where I got mine from because they were the cheapest place.

Some basic embossing folders (stripes, dots, etc)

Basic color ink pads if you don't already have them. Make sure to get ones you can use with Copics since they will work with pretty much all other mediums too.

For cardstock I bought multicolor packs from SU and PTI and GinaK to have a nice selection without having to go broke. It was a good start and then I've been able to buy individual color packs a little at a time.

Heavy white cardstock for card bases - Recollections 110 lb is great. You can get it at Ms with a coupon.

If you want to focus on Copics I found that I don't need every marker they make. I have 3 of each color group 1 light 1 medium 1 dark (3 brown, 3 yellow green, 3 darker green, 3 pink, etc).

Scor-Buddy - At first I didn't think I needed it but I love it for scoring my cards and getting a good clean fold. I went with the smaller buddy one since I only make cards.

I'm sure there is more but can't think right now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Stamp a ma jig. Essential for me.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

This is why I posted - you gals are just so awesome! My mind is going 100 miles at minute and you're such a huge help in helping me narrow my list down!

I actually have a birthday coming up, so I'm using those gifts to rebuild my stash; that way my husband doesn't kill me for buying all the things I need/want. ;) My parents/grandparents/etc just send checks, so I'm trying to decide the best use of the money for my new stuff. My husband also lets me pick out whatever I want (smart man!), so I'm getting Copics! I did do the 3 color sets like Suzanne suggested. I just did one set each of the ROYGBIV colors and then a couple extra sets. I am thinking I'll want more skin tones and grays, but I should be more or less all set with Copics now!

I am working on deciding on inks. I think I am going the mini route that gregzgurl suggested. I will definitely have to read that post on making my own!

I've also picked out a couple stamps sets. I tried to make sure the images were really versatile. I think I'm going to go the way of digital for the most part - it's so much cheaper and easier to store!

I did get just a couple of the small variety pads of paper with some standard colors and a patterned pad for birthday papers (which is the majority of the cards I'll make I think). From here on out I'm going to play it by ear and just grab what I need.

The last thing I was thinking to get me going again is a Subscription to Simon Says Stamp's monthly card kit club. It looks like an awesome way to get new stamps and everything will coordinate!

Fortunately, Christmas is just around the corner, so anything I don't end up getting now I'm going to put on a list for then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

My recommendations are: it depends.

If you have space where you can keep things out you may want tools that can stay out. Be honest with yourself.

You may not want a Big Shot if you are saving for a Scan n Cut.

Also, the best tool I have found recently is Evernote. I am cataloging my stamps/inks/supplies so I easily know what I have when I am shopping. It syncs with a smart phone AP too. I am also compiling my Wishlist.

Another thing to consider is what size cards do you make and are you expanding? For patterned paper most people say buy 6x6 pads. Well they don't always work so well on 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" card front (I generally make "big" cards). Many of the 12x12 I have bought recently have small prints included in them.

My suggestion would be to go through the gallery and see what cards appeal to you and make of list of the common supplies. Then assess what you really liked doing the 1st time you made cards and build on those two things together to make your own unique set of tools.

ATM my go to tools are ways to watercolor - so that could be distress pads, Inktense pencils, Derwent watercolor pencils, Koi travel watercolors...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I've really been debating watercolor tools! I think I'm going to put those on the Christmas list and get the hang of my Copics first (those are new to me). I'm finding I really love the watercolor cards.

I also got to thinking about a Big Shot and had a total slap in the face moment when I realized I have a Silhouette, so I think that takes care of a lot of different tools for me! I was so excited when I realized it. I don't think of it much because my husband uses the Silhouette for our vinyl business, so I only think of using it for vinyl. So excited to break it out for something new!!

Someone else also mentioned Evernote and I'm already in love! I'm secretly super glad I'm starting over because I can now be crazy organized from the get-go. It's fantastic. I've started getting everything set up in Evernote and it's taking no time at all. So as I add things it will continue to be super easy and super organized. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my copics, still trying to get my refills bought. I have some Bics as well as Sharpies too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGooding7View Post
I've really been debating watercolor tools! I think I'm going to put those on the Christmas list and get the hang of my Copics first (those are new to me). I'm finding I really love the watercolor cards.

I also got to thinking about a Big Shot and had a total slap in the face moment when I realized I have a Silhouette, so I think that takes care of a lot of different tools for me! I was so excited when I realized it. I don't think of it much because my husband uses the Silhouette for our vinyl business, so I only think of using it for vinyl. So excited to break it out for something new!!

Someone else also mentioned Evernote and I'm already in love! I'm secretly super glad I'm starting over because I can now be crazy organized from the get-go. It's fantastic. I've started getting everything set up in Evernote and it's taking no time at all. So as I add things it will continue to be super easy and super organized. I love it!
I actually have a Cameo, Scan-N-Cut, and a Big Shot. I love them all! While they all do pretty much the same thing as far as cutting shapes, they each have their own special abilities. The Big Shot can be used to emboss, cut/emboss at the same time, letterpress and can cut through thin metals. The silhouette has an extensive die cut store and has special items for rhinestones, stencils, making custom stamps and more. The SNC can cut thicker materials than the Silhouette machines and is great if I just want to quickly fussy cut a pre-stamped and colored image. I'm not saying you should feel like you need all items, just that you shouldn't disregard one simply because you have the other. I honestly would not ever give up any one of my machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
I actually have a Cameo, Scan-N-Cut, and a Big Shot. I love them all! While they all do pretty much the same thing as far as cutting shapes, they each have their own special abilities. The Big Shot can be used to emboss, cut/emboss at the same time, letterpress and can cut through thin metals. The silhouette has an extensive die cut store and has special items for rhinestones, stencils, making custom stamps and more. The SNC can cut thicker materials than the Silhouette machines and is great if I just want to quickly fussy cut a pre-stamped and colored image. I'm not saying you should feel like you need all items, just that you shouldn't disregard one simply because you have the other. I honestly would not ever give up any one of my machines.
Definitely. But you can make do with one while you build supplies or create a need for the others. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd say be brutally honest with yourself about the type of cards you will be making, before you buy anything. Are you a 'kit' person, or do you like inking/stamping/Techniques ? Are you a 'cute' person, or 'grungy'? Maybe spend some time on Pinterest (like thats a hardship ) and create a board with things you would like to make. That should give you some pointers as to what you really need to buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

If you have dye inks (memento, SU, CTMH, distress inks), you can do watercolor techniques with those. All you'll need is some brushes and watercolor paper-- that way you can give it a go without having to invest in the actual watercolors (although I did buy a cheap set of watercolor paints from Michael's for about $5.)

If you like to color with colored pencils and gamsol (baby oil/mineral spirits), there is a brand at WalMart called Cra-Z-Art. The 72 pack is something like $5.72. They blend just as nicely as the expensive prismacolor pencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

A lot of great advice so far.

My biggest lesson is that I wouldn't buy a mixed set of anything because I find there a colors I never-ever use. I learned that even if the price is good for a set, I'd rather have paid a bit more for single items that I use all the time than having things I never use taking up space.

Get one good set of generic greetings like SU Teeny Tiny Wishes - it gives you a lot of generic options.

Don't buy a stamp because the image is sooooooooo cute unless you know how you plan to use it.

Generic white cardstock - Michael's Recollection 110lb - great weight for card bases and with a coupon, you can't beat the price

Color selection - think about the colors you like to use and purchase accordingly. If you like bright -clear colors than the Tim Holtz distress markers may not be a good choice as most of the colors are a little "dusty" where as the distress rinses are bright and beautiful and you can watercolor with them.

Select thin dies that have multiple uses - generic frames, circles, etc. will give you more use than dies of cars, bees, etc.

Do not believe the reviews here on SCS until you do some research. Too often I've bought a tool because of the rave reviews only to be disappointed. There is great advice out here, but wait and watch on a new tool to see if it's really all that great. I highly recommend MISTI - amazing tool that I wish I had from the beginning of my stamping.

Be aware that substitutions on some products may work fine but perhaps not as good as the originally suggested product. We all have own standards of what is acceptable so you want to decide where you will spend your crafting $$. If I'm learning a new technique, I tend to go cheap until I know it's something I really like and then over time I'll buy better if necessary.

and finally... it you don't use it, give it away, sell it, don't hoard it for some day....keep it clean from the start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

The basics I'd need besides what you mentioned would be a die cutter of some sort (I'd go Big Shot), good scissors, dye ink, and stamps. I like the idea of evaluating what type of cards you make and going from there - i.e., if you are a technique kind of gal, Distress Ink would be high on the list, if you do layers, maybe you want to invest in ribbon, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you all so much! Your advice has been so helpful!

I have my starting stash now! And I have my wishlist loaded with techniques and products to try down the road. So excited to get going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thank you all so much! Your advice has been so helpful!

I have my starting stash now! And I have my wishlist loaded with techniques and products to try down the road. So excited to get going!
I wish I had followed Lindsay the Frugalcrafter from the beginning. Lots of tips, tricks, substitutions and honest assessment of products.

She has recently demo'd Reeves Watercolor pencils, if I wasn't already invested in other watercolor pencils I would definitely add them to my stash!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Since the hypothetical is if I were starting over, I'll take a different approach. If I lost everything in a fire and wanted to start again I would like to concentrate on only one technique: watercolor. Instead of dabbling in Copics, drawing pencils, chalk, Distress markers, embossing powder, and so on and so on, I would want to concentrate all my efforts in improving my skill with just the one medium. My inspiration comes from the beautiful creations of Birgit: Rapport fr�n ett skrivbord

I don't say this because I watercolor well. Hardly! I am lousy at it and intimidated by it. However, when I look at Birgit's cards I am envious that she is not (okay, appears not to be) roped into buying all the junk we accumulate as stampers. Good watercolor and matting paper, brushes, paint, paper trimmer, and some stamps appropriate for watercolor appear to be the only essentials. Wouldn't it be wonderful to practice and improve enough that each card were nearly as beautiful as hers? And, at the same time, avoid the pitfalls of the average stamper: shopping and spending too much, falling for each latest and greatest product to come down the pike, and spending more just to come up with adequate storage for all the "Stuff"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Have to be honest though, my copics saved me on my last card. Lots of masking and had planned to watercolor it completely. I had stamped with the wrong ink, so instead of starting over I was able to switch out mediums and make it work (even though the watercolor paper sucked up that alcohol marker color).

That said, I would look more at Spectrum Noir and Tombow than I did when I got my Copics. Love them but I could have done more homework on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Marvy Squishy scissors, scissors for ribbon, Tim Holtz Tonic scissors regular or the new 9", Big Shot, Scor-Buddy, Inktense pencils and water brushes, paper trimmer - rotary style would be great but I have the 6" Fiskars with the arm that swings out, Distress, Archival, Memento, VersaFine, and Hero Arts inks, Wink of Stella Clear Brush Marker, ATG gun and refills, Scraperfect glue, glue dots, SU! Dimensionals, ruler, dies and embossing folders, clear stamps, SU! Acrylic blocks, Chomper corner rounder in the 1/2" / 1/4", punches - round, oval, SU! Modern label and word window, white and cream 100 lb. Cardstock, assortment pack of colored cardstock, 6"x6" patterned paper pads, markers - Distress, Copics or Spectrum Noir, Tombow or SU!, push pin and foam pad to poke holes in paper, twine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:34 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I would spend a bit of time looking through this site and Pinterest, and decide what style and techniques you are most interested in now. Buy supplies for that first, whether it be a Cuttlebug and embossing folders, or watercolor supplies.
As your tastes change and develop, you can add supplies.
This strategy has worked for me, and now 6 years later I have a lot of crap, er craft supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:45 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I've not read all the posts so this might be a duplicate but I'd choose a line of paper and inks you like and buy all the Cardstock and ink from them. Maybe you aren't so matchy as I am but I like to have inks and papers that match. SSS, Avery Elle, Taylored expressions, Wplus9, Studio Calico, MFT and PTI all have various numbers of coordinates and different colour palettes. Some are bright and fun and others have more trendy colours.

Check out prices and especially shipping deals when deciding where to buy as paper is quite heavy. Obviously you also need specialty inks like Memento (and if you aren't matchy I like their whole line of inks) for Copic outlines, waterproof or archival ink etc. Another factor to look at is whether you want dye, pigment or hybrid ink so keep that in mind too. Some companies carry matching ribbon, felt, buttons and matching Copics too so that might be another factor if you are really matchy!

For sentiments, I can recommend two sets I reach for over and over. PTI 'mega mixed messages' and WMS has a big sentiment set with lots of little addition word stamps to go with the bigger words. Sorry, forget the name.

If you like embellies and you have Copics, buy all white for now and dye them to match. It doesn't take long and helps when starting out. Sequins, buttons, ribbon, pearls and rhinestones can all be dyed pretty easily. For ribbon, scribble on a craft mat or alternative (link to a few cheaper ideas in this weeks newsletter) and add alcohol to thin the colour into a dye. The colour will lighten so go with a darker colour than you think you need. Smush the ribbon into the colour and add more alcohol if needed to spread the colour.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree to find your style before getting too far. And if you are interested in Watercolors check out the Online card class to see techniques and materials in action.

For embellishments get just white or silver and color them:
Ribbon and flowers can be colored with distress inks and water
Pearl, rinestones, and brads can be colored with Copics.

I also recommend embossing powder in white, clear and your favorite metallic. I like Stampendous fine detail for white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 04:53 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I am not the smartest person... I quit stamping about five years ago and sold it all. (Yes, everything I owned. It's ok to cry with me.) I wish I could tell you why. I don't know.

BUT I'm now getting back into it (with a solemn oath that I will never again sell a single thing). So I have to start over. I only have my paper cutter and bone folder from my original supplies.

So, tell me, if YOU were starting fresh, what would be your must have tools and supplies? I've already have some Copics and stamps, but I'm wondering what I should focus on as a I rebuild. My mind wants everything I used to have, but my bank account says I should probably start small.
I say get a Silhouette Cameo! They are on sale right now for $229! You will not have to buy a bunch of dies! 10 sets of dies would pay for Cameo! You can cut tons of types of paper, fabric, felt, chipboard, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 05:05 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
I say get a Silhouette Cameo! They are on sale right now for $229! You will not have to buy a bunch of dies! 10 sets of dies would pay for Cameo! You can cut tons of types of paper, fabric, felt, chipboard, etc.
Ugh they are on sale at Joann's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Overstock may have a better deal ;) (not that I am stalking it or anything)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

If I were starting over, I would buy nearly nothing. Seriously. Last year my husband and I created a beautiful scrapbook and 90% of the book was either photos we took or free stuff we "harvested" from our trip, like napkins, headlines, maps, brochures, etc. I've been carefully studying what the young women are doing now with scrapbooking and paper crafts, and they don't buy dies and machines and a zillion stickers and tools. They rip and glue and journal and produce magnificent personal scrapbooks. If I were starting over, I would buy one or two really good white inks, a black ink suitable for alcohol markers and water color pencils. I would buy really good adhesive, really good scissors and an Excel knife, tweezers, my favorite pence and pencils, and probably a package of 8" x 8" solid color paper. Some packing tape so I could make my own stencils. I would figure out what kind of book I like, I love the new Dylusions blank journals, and call it a day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Another economical way for embellishments is to use digital software and print only want you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks ladies! MISTI looks amazing! I'm going to have to put that on my wishlist!!

I'll just share what I decided on and what's on my wishlist in case anyone is interested. It was very hard to decide where to start!

I had a couple things left from several years back: paper cutter, bone folder, and some ribbons. So those started my stash. I also own a Silhouette Cameo, which we have used primarily for our Etsy shop the last year or so. I'm really excited to break it out for card making! This will be a whole new adventure with it. I'm going to try to avoid tools until I know how much it can do. (I won't really need dies, but I will probably want something to emboss. That kind of thing.)

I decided to put my money into Copics. I did my research like many of you suggested (and based on prior experience with card making!) and I knew I would love the versatility of the product and the types of cards I could make using them. I built my own set of 36 and that is where the bulk of my money went. I figured it was a worthwhile investment. Time will tell if I was right!

I purchased some less expense white card stock as card bases. At some point I would love to get an entire collection of colors, but for now, I can modify the white as needed so it's a good start. I did splurge on some Copic appropriate paper - a couple small packs of different kinds to find what I like best. I picked up one collection of 6x6 standard solid colored paper. I had like 6 sheets of 15 colors or something like that. (Just a cheap one from Hobby Lobby so I could put my money elsewhere that would be more fun!) I also picked up two small sets of print papers to mix and match. One birthday, since I knew that would be a lot of my cards, and one other random print.

Finally, I ordered Memento Tuxedo Black Ink, 3 Stamp Sets with versatile images, (and an acrylic block to use with them), a tape runner, and dimensionals. I also picked out several digital stamps to use with my Copics. I loveee how cheap those are, so my idea is to use as many of those as possible in place of physical stamps.

On my wishlist for down the road are several more stamp sets, more digital stamps, distressed inks and watercolor paper, and a few tools that would be great to have (scoring board, MISTI now ;), embossing supplies).

Hopefully my stash will get me off to a good start and I can add some new stuff for Christmas cards this winter! Thanks again for all your input! It was a huge help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

I guess I should add that I am also subscribing to Simon Says Stamp's Monthly Card Kit. I looked through all of their prior kits and looked up cards people made with their kids and I think it will be a fantastic way to get new products and everything will coordinate! Plus, it will keep me out of the store, so that will keep me from buying all those extras I tend to pick up. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

If you really want to start small and try things out before building up again, look at Paper Pumpkin from SU! A small box with everything you need including spot ink pads, stamps, paper goods, etc. which will build up your supplies and give you different items to play with. All you need is adhesive (not included) and today (10th) is the last day for two for one special, two months for the price of one. Code HALFOFF2 at mypaperpumpkin.com
(If you don't have a demo - Geri Stuart)
P.S. Look on YouTube for samples
Reply With Quote Likes