Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question confused by website

I am fairly new to stamping, I love buying the accessories, (I have nearly $300 worth of stamp supplies) but when I try to create a card, I don't have a clue on how to make them look any good. I find my cards simply too plain, with just embossing letters, and a coloured in stamp (ie bouquet of flowers)
HOW DO I USE THIS WEBSITE TO GET IDEAS ON HOW TO CREATE FANCIER CARDS WITH SUPPLIES I ALREADY OWN. PLEASE ANSWER ANYONE...ANYONE??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by newstampie
I am fairly new to stamping, I love buying the accessories, (I have nearly $300 worth of stamp supplies) but when I try to create a card, I don't have a clue on how to make them look any good. I find my cards simply too plain, with just embossing letters, and a coloured in stamp (ie bouquet of flowers)
HOW DO I USE THIS WEBSITE TO GET IDEAS ON HOW TO CREATE FANCIER CARDS WITH SUPPLIES I ALREADY OWN. PLEASE ANSWER ANYONE...ANYONE??
Hi! Welcome to Splitcoaststampers (SCS)!

I am in Ontario too, near Toronto!

This site is an invaluble tool for becoming a better stamper!

The best place to start is in the gallery. At the top of any SCS page, click "gallery". You can then browse by stamp set name, member names (if you see a stamper that you really like), or you can see the recent uploads from the past day or week. It's a great place to start!

You can also check out the "Splitcoast Challenges" forum. There is a new challenge posted every day of the week except Sundays. I know I have become a much better stamper since I started doing the challenges! Here is a link: Forums at Splitcoaststampers.

There is so much information on this site, it can feel overwhelming sometimes, but don't worry! Just jump right in, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Again, welcome!

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you very much, I was getting a bit frustrated, so I got my husband up here to help me, that's when I saw your reply. I tried looking at the gallery as well, but found it just a bit confusing too. I am sure I will catch on sooner or later.
By the way, I live in London.
Nice to meet you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thank you very much, I was getting a bit frustrated, so I got my husband up here to help me, that's when I saw your reply. I tried looking at the gallery as well, but found it just a bit confusing too. I am sure I will catch on sooner or later.
By the way, I live in London.
Nice to meet you.
The gallery is organized alphabetically by stamp set, so you can easily look up the ones that are already in your collection! Current mini catalog items are listed together, and will be moved into the general listings after the mini expires.

A lot of the more frequently asked questions are pinned to the top of each forum section to make them easy to find. I definitely recommend browsing the forum page and checking out the "stickies" in each topic area!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks, I just meant to go on this for a few minutes and now it has been about an hour, so it is addicting. I will try what you have shared with me. I do not have sets of stamps as such, just a whole bunch of single ones, (christmas related, boquet of flowers, alphabet, and other salutations)

chat with you later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #6  
Mini Quack

Default confused by website

Hello... you are not alone...we were all new at one time and I still am a "simple " and "easy" stamper and card maker... but I do enjoy learning... just look at todays additions... if you go to the gallery look on the right side near the top...for one day
click on that or go to forums and look for stampin 101 and click on new post and ask any question about how to do anything... also in resources at the top of the home page there are so many techniques to try...some so very simple
lastly try adding a touch of ribbon or use a corner punch or add a layer of cardstock just play around... good luck...try to enjoy your time on here....

Soni B
Live Life With a Smile
My Gallery
http://sonisfrontporch.blogspot.com/
Love being a part of MMTPTCC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for replying. But I still find it very confusing, especially the gallery, when listed in alphabetical order by sets,,,,,what does that mean. I went to Stampin 101, as well and it was all over my head. I feel like a nob, I have no creativity ability at all, and would like to copy cards, so I look at Gallery and just does not look like I can make those cards, because I don't have matericals, for the fancy backgrounds, I just use plain vanilla and white cards, embossing and stamps.
what are sets??????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

what are sets??????
A large percentage of the people on this website use Stampin' Up!'s products. Though there are a large number of Close to my Heart and The Angle Company on here also. Stampin' Up! sells thier stamps in a 'set' so all the stamps cordinate together. All the stamps are the same proportion to each other and the fonts are all the same in one set. Close to my Heart sells stamps in sets also but I don't know much about The Angle Company.

Does that answer your question?

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi! Welcome to the world of stamping. I was there until a couple of years ago - sure learned a lot in a fairly short time.

To further confuse you, I sent you a pm (private message) - if you did not find it yet, look at the little envelop icon at the very top of the page, right side - click on it to find your private message.

Hey, are there any demos in newstampies neighborhood? Maybe she could attend a workshop, stamp camp, or something like that.

You could try challenges, as some one mentioned. This link will take you to one for limited supplies. Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Or go to forums > challenges > and select the challenge that interests you. Another good one might be techniques, as the different techniques are described.

Good luck!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thanks for replying. But I still find it very confusing, especially the gallery, when listed in alphabetical order by sets,,,,,what does that mean. I went to Stampin 101, as well and it was all over my head. I feel like a nob, I have no creativity ability at all, and would like to copy cards, so I look at Gallery and just does not look like I can make those cards, because I don't have matericals, for the fancy backgrounds, I just use plain vanilla and white cards, embossing and stamps.
what are sets??????
I've got just the thing for you! If you go to the Challenges section of the forum, you'll find something called the Limited Supply Challenge. You may need to go to the very bottom of the page and change the time frame that is displayed, because it is a weekly challenge and the default is to only show threads from the past two weeks.

Anyway, the whole point of that challenge is to create something using only a very limited set of stamping supplies. You can also find examples from each challenge by going to the gallery, clicking 'search' and entering "LSC(number)", changing the number according to whichever challenge you're trying to find examples for. Usually each challenge thread will tell you exactly what to enter.

I hope that made sense!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2006, 08:06 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Honey, you need a Stampin' Up! catalog! It's the best idea book around!! I haven't seen a CTMH catalog in about five years, but it's pretty nice, too. I don't know about TAC, I haven't seen one. I don't know if we can sell SU! to London or not, but there are A LOT of SU! and other demos on this site. I'm an SU! demo, but I don't know all the rules.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirl
Honey, you need a Stampin' Up! catalog! It's the best idea book around!! I haven't seen a CTMH catalog in about five years, but it's pretty nice, too. I don't know about TAC, I haven't seen one. I don't know if we can sell SU! to London or not, but there are A LOT of SU! and other demos on this site. I'm an SU! demo, but I don't know all the rules.
If you go to www.stampinup.com and click on the Products tab and then click Our Current Cataogs. It will take you to an online catalog that you can view and see what sets are and lots of samples.

HTH

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #13  
Unregistered

The more you look agound the easier it is!!! Just give yourself time to "play" and you will be hooked!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just to add that even if you don't have the sets that are shown in the gallery you can do a search in the gallery by entering a key word in the search field. That way if you have Xmas stamps you can enter Christmas, holidays, santa etc or whatever word and you will see lots of cards etc that are using that theme and then you can incorporate the stamps and other items into what you see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #15  
Unregistered

Krabearkub, I can't believe I forgot about the online catty!! Good idea!

Also, as stated in another post, you don't have to have all the supplies for a card you like. Every card is a template. You just have to copy it using the stuff you have. It can be pretty overwhelming, you just have to build your supplies over time. I do think it's smart to choose a company whose stamps you like so that your stamps match. If you buy all your stamps from a dozen different companies, they don't always look right together. Then you must have A LOT of stamps to do what you can do with just a few stamps that look good together.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

I'm a fellow Canadian stamper. I also find this website can suck you in. Then you have a ton of great ideas, but haven't actually stamped.

I find that going to the resources and reading the tutorials is a great way to learn new techniques, without having to search through all the galleries.

There is a new technique every Wednesday. This allows me to pop onto the website quickly, take a look at the latest technique, and allows me to get off so I can go and stamp.

I save my browsing for when I have a substantial time to spend!

By the way, I'm near Edmonton AB!
Reply With Quote Likes