Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are copics good if not using for blending?

I am tired of my pens drying out before I get a chance to really use them. I've tried several brands and I seem to have the same issue with most of them.
I have no interest in the fancy blending techniques most use Copics for, they seem nice enough but I'm just not that talented.
Does anyone else here use Copics for basic coloring just for the sake of having pens that don't dry out and can be refilled? I'm thinking of getting a "starter pack" with a coupon at Hobby Lobby, but even then they're a little pricey initially.
Any thoughts?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I sometimes use my Copics just for a solid area of colour without doing any blending or anything just because they're great for streak-free coverage which is not quite what you asked but kind of close! I do love the fact you can refill and I haven't had any issues with unused markers drying out.

What kind of colouring do you do with your markers? Will all the colours in a starter pack get used or might you be better considering open stock from somewhere? I'm on the wrong side of the Pond to recommend anywhere for you but there are lots of discussions here on SCS if you look. I think lots of people use Marker Pop or Dick Blick.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 04:36 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I were buying Copics again I would buy them AGAIN from Oozak. Apparently you can use Michaels coupons etc as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbRNWjp70yk FANTASTIC customer service, I have had my markers the next day after ordering.

Now, that said, Copic may be overkill if you don't want to blend. What I like about Copics are their brush nibs and that they are refillable.

If I were buying now I would probably buy the new (make certain you get the new barrel as there are issues with the old barrel) Spectrum Noir markers. They are alcohol based and refillable and very affordable especially with a coupon. They have a bullet and chisel tip. I have been very impressed with the work I have seen with them. Oozak carries them as well. His prices put them at about $1.67 per marker. They are out of stock at the moment but I think you can be notified when they are back in stock. Rusty has just got back from vacation so is running about 3 days behind on orders. But I'm sure he will answer an email if you want to know when they are expecting their next shipment of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
If I were buying now I would probably buy the new... Spectrum Noir markers.
This raises something in my mind - we all like different things so before you make a significant investment, you might do well to try a few different brands if you can. Like Kristen, I've seen lovely work done with the Spectrum Noir markers but I tried them when they came out and simply couldn't get along with them. If you don't have anywhere local or buddies with markers you can try, maybe see what's available online without spending too much? (I actually bought a few Copics and Trias in an eBay auction to try out when I first used these markers - there are some bargains if you're willing to wait for the right lot.)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

The old barrel of the Spectrum Noir allowed the alcohol to evaporate and made them dry out and difficult to work with from what I have read. I definitely would find somewhere to test some if possible. And if buying from big box craft store make certain I bought the new barrels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

The old barrel of the Spectrum Noir allowed the alcohol to evaporate and made them dry out and difficult to work with from what I have read.
For me it was the nibs and barrel shape. I really should have anticpated it as I don't really like the Copic Originals either. I just don't find the square barrel comfortable to work with and I much, much prefer the brush nib to the chisel and bullet ones. But those are things you learn from the experience of using them rather than looking at work done with them or reading reviews, I guess - we're all different!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
For me it was the nibs and barrel shape. I really should have anticpated it as I don't really like the Copic Originals either. I just don't find the square barrel comfortable to work with and I much, much prefer the brush nib to the chisel and bullet ones. But those are things you learn from the experience of using them rather than looking at work done with them or reading reviews, I guess - we're all different!
Totally get that! I was surprised that I love Ciaos over other sizes as I have a large hand (over an octave reach on a piano). I often wonder who designs some of these shapes and who tests the designs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I often wonder who designs some of these shapes and who tests the designs.
Interesting thought! At a guess, mostly men (both design and testing) - the Copics market was originally graphic designers and all elements of design are pretty skewed gender-wise, I believe. Like you, I'm happiest with Ciao although my hands are smaller than yours by the sound of it (span of 8.25" thumb to little finger tip). Maybe it's partly familiarity? (they're closest in shape to the felt tips we used as kids!)

Sorry craftycarrie, we've digressed a bit! hope this is adding up to letting you know that there's no wrong/right here - there's just personal preference!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with the ladies, I would try a few markers from different vendors or if you can try a Friends

On the subject of size never thought about it but you are right..and I had to measure my hand span lol, I only measure at 7" at a push from thumb to top of pinkie...maybe one thing on this old body of mine is small lol!

Last edited by jukie; 07-10-2014 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

My friends and I DO use the Copics for basic coloring. Sometimes we do shading, but not usually. I've had mine for about five years and have only had to replace a few colors...the ones I use most. I agree with a previous poster...if you decide to buy Copics, go with Oozak. Best price and very fast shipping. I've used my R29 and E34 for Santa and Rudolph many times over (at least 50 Whipper Snapper big designs) and have only had to replace them once. We prefer the Original style..square shape with fine tip/broad tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I use my copics for basic coloring. I have had bad luck with the Spectrum Noir markers being dried out when I first opened them. I have thrown several away, that were brand new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a suggestion: I have a couple of sets of Sharpies and Bic Mark Its that I've had and been using for several years. They have not dried out, and you can do some nice coloring with them. You can usually find the bigger sets at Target, although I got mine at Sams.

I use them to color stamped images, and have some Copics to fill in for the pale pastels. That is my only complaint about the Sharpies and Bics - the colors are quite intense.

Here is a set of 36 Bics on Amazon for only $22.99:

Amazon.com : BIC Mark-It color collection permanent marker, Fine Point, Assorted Colors, 36 Markers : Office Products

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you all so much for the replies! I appreciate all of the input. After having all my stuff in storage for a long move process I have to replace a ton of pens and ink pads... again.
I know the Spectrums are cheaper and initially thought they would be the route to go, but since I doubt I'll do the blending techniques, and I think you have to buy a whole color family at a time, I figured at least the Copics can be bought individually.
I have a few more hours at work before heading home. Maybe I'll just get 1 Copic in a good color for now.
thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Just a suggestion: I have a couple of sets of Sharpies and Bic Mark Its that I've had and been using for several years. They have not dried out, and you can do some nice coloring with them. You can usually find the bigger sets at Target, although I got mine at Sams.

I use them to color stamped images, and have some Copics to fill in for the pale pastels. That is my only complaint about the Sharpies and Bics - the colors are quite intense.

Here is a set of 36 Bics on Amazon for only $22.99:

Amazon.com : BIC Mark-It color collection permanent marker, Fine Point, Assorted Colors, 36 Markers : Office Products
The Back to School supplies are being put out in all the stores . I saw some great prices on Colored packs of Sharpies . I just got 2 packages of Black Fine Sharpies with 5 markers in each pack at Office Depot for $1 . That is 20 � per marker . :cool:

I used my Copics for solid coloring without shading when I originally bought them and I loved the way they color so smoothly with no streaks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks again! I ended up getting a multi-pack of Bic Mark-Its and a single Copic sketch (I think ordering online and shipping would have been quicker than waiting for someone to unlock the case!!).
Can't wait to play with them tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes