Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Ideas for recording and sharing cards?

As most of us on SCS would agree, we love making cards. Not only do we make them for friends and loved ones, but we also make them for challenges, contests, and even just because we are inspired to case something beautiful! As a result we can end up quite innondated with cards! I make at least 3 cards per week! That makes over 150 a year! I bet you might make more...

Some of us may even find it difficult to let go of these cards because we just get attached to how wonderful they make us feel when we LOVE how they turn out (smiles). So, what do you do to keep from having to wallpaper your house with cards? Here are some ideas that I have, and I'd love to hear yours too.
  1. Target sentiments that can apply to many situations: I like to use motivating sentiments that could work as "any day" kind of cards when I do challenges or cases. This expands my ability to deliver cards to others at anytime in the future. I don't stamp inside until the day I deliver them which leaves my options open.
  2. Log your favorites: Even if you don't decide to post your card, pull out your cell phone and snap a picture of it. Now log it in one consistent place (being the geek that I am, I would have to suggest you store them in the cloud somewhere (Apple, Microsoft, and Google all have free cloud services), or on a small external hard drive (really cheap at Best Buy) rather than on your computer. This will make it easier to change computers over the years.) Important: Do NOT store them at work on a corporate share. The good thing about logging photos is that once you've logged it, you can ogle it as long as you want, and this may make it easier to give away! It's also fun to use the photos as a revolving screen savers or desktop images (another opportunity to basque in card love). They look even better on high res and wide monitors.
  3. Bring your passion to work: you can keep a small basket of your latest creations in or on your desk at work. These can serve as free cards that co-workers can pull from when they need one. This way your themed cards (birthdays, sympathy, holidays etc) will get more opportunities to 'travel and see the world' outside of your own circle of friends. ALSO, why not give a card to a peers, or even your boss, when they achieve a major project milestone, or just because they make your work easier. I often give 'thank you' cards to my boss when we get perks, and even when I get raises. I work in a private sector so I know they are not obligated to keep me so happy! LOL
  4. Etsy shop: since you snap a photo to post your cards, you could use the same photo to post to an Etsy shop. This will give you the opportunity to make money back for supplies. Only sell the copy you made for the challenge if you don't have time to 'make to order' (it's easy to have only 1 available, when it sells it automatically drops off the store). Keep the prices reasonable and spend at least 30 minutes a week on marketing (Etsy provides wonderful marketing tips to the community). You could also sell from your blog, but payment can be more complicated in that case, and you have to take it down yourself when it sells out. Some people get frustrated when they see a sold out product that they really want. Don't use Etsy to market your style though, Pinterest is better for that.
  5. Good will: pick a cause or two, and plan to mail "X" amount of cards to it monthly. This does require a small postage budget, but think of all the people you can thrill with your masterpiece! Soldiers, hospitalized, homes for elderly, terminally ill, safe houses, and the list goes on......SCS has a few of these right under your nose, but I suggest you also look to see what's local to where you live. This way you can deliver some by hand...cutting postage requirements and giving you a chance to see some smiles face to face.

What do you think? What do you do to keep from being completely surrounded by cards? Please share.

Hugs,
Audrie

Last edited by girlgeek101; 06-05-2014 at 03:41 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions!

I really need to start putting a few of these into practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 04:47 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Audrie, what a great forum post. I will be anxious to read the responses from others. I will list a few of the things I do with my cards.

1. I photograph every card I make to post on both my blog and SCS. I love sharing my projects and giving instructions and tutorials for anyone who may be inspired to CASE. One of my most loved things about SCS is everyone's willingness to share tips, techniques and how to's so that others have the opportunity to realize their own creative potential. I have learned everything I know about paper crafting from this community of wonderful and creative people.

2. I have file catalogs all of my projects on my computer with each project named by manufacturer and main focal product name and number the cards. I also always use my initials KC in the card description. This step safeguards having multiple projects on SCS with the same name and one voiding out another. Early in my SCS days we were instructed to do this step because people were losing their projects.
Example: KC Impression Obsession Deer Trio 3
I must admit that I am the total opposite of Audrie as I am clueless with technology so have not stepped into the Clouds yet. LOL! Maybe I will have my husband help me with this.

3. I have been asked many times how I can part with my favorite cards and the answer really is twofold. 1. Giving my favorite cards to people I love makes me very happy. 2. I always know I can make it again if I want.

4. I sell most of my cards to blog followers who write and ask for them. When I get a surplus of cards in my stash I post a card sale on my blog. It just helps to pay for new supplies so I can keep on "playing with paper".

5. For years I have taken cards to work and sold them to patients to raise money for people in need and our annual Christmas Adopt-a-Family project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:18 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I take a picture of every card and project I make so I can post it here and on my blog. I also keep an extensive picture library on my computer in case I need to go back and CASE something I've done previously.

I tend to give a lot of cards away, but if I have some to keep, I have a decorated box with tab dividers for filing. If I have a very favorite card that I just can't part with, I make two!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Like Kittie, I photograph all my cards - and have scans going to back to before I had a digital camera. I don't post many on my blog, usually just a round-up each month of a few personal favourites. Uploading them here is my primary record, and filling in the details helps me if ever I want to make a similar card again.
In the gallery here, I like to upload them to the relevant SU set gallery or Technique Spotlight gallery, since I often use those galleries for reference and inspiration, and will sometimes set a slideshow running. But on my PC, I like to organize them all by category, so they get put into folders for the relevant challenge they were made for ;-) . Backed up onto an external hard drive every couple of weeks, and occasionally all my image files also get backed up to DVD.

Logging them/using them: between BRAK assignments and other birthdays I feel the need to keep track of who received what, so I have a spreadsheet with the name (and SCS username if relevant), and I put a brief description of the card in another column. (I have a separate spreadsheet for Christmas, but organised the same way).
I'd say I post out about a dozen to fifteen cards each month, which is probably as much as I can afford with international postage applying in almost every circumstance. There are a few just-because people I try to send cards to on a regular basis, as well as a good ration of birthday cards.
Sometimes I make up packs of cards as gifts for birthdays, which always gets a good response. At least, anyone who has had a pack once always says "yes please" when I ask would they like them again. Double bonus there - gets cards out of my space, and gives them a gift they can use without adding clutter to theirs ;-).
I display some of my favourites on the piano - that still leaves me the mantelpiece for incoming cards . DH can be a bit possessive of some of his favourites and is reluctant to let me send them - eek!! I've sneaked a few out, but there are some he says I can't send!!

Love Audrie's idea of a screensaver. I've not done that with my own cards, but for my 40th birthday, which was a tough one on several fronts including the fact that it was the first one after my mother died, I made a screensaver with all the beautiful handmade birthday cards I received from online friends; it lifted my spirits on many a day, just watching it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

@kittie747: I'd also be glad to help you get started with the cloud...PM me and let me know which platform is the friendliest to you: Apple (iOS/Mac), Microsoft (PC), or Google (Google docs/android), and I will send you some helpful content.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #7  

Great idea to discuss this topic, Audrie. Here's what I do...
1. Photograph each card & upload to my PC into files ie: published, CAS, baby, anniversary, sponged scenes, mixed media, etc. Then I can wander thru my card gallery at leisure, smile at how far I've travelled in this art journey, even cringe a bit at the old cards too! Also helpful to scan thru for future ideas...& recall forgotten stamps!
2. I keep my latest fav's on a shelf (or two!) to admire for a few weeks, then...
3. Box cards into themes: get well, sympathy, thank you, baby, etc....& USE them - it will make someone's day...don't be shy.
4. Sell to friends...or workmates...I know they are hard to part with sometimes, but it's cash & you can purchase new supplies with it . I always offer them one of the boxes according to the theme they want and let them choose...it always surprises me what they pick!
Also, you can fall out of love with some styles as time goes by, so sell & move forward!
One day I will get my Etsy site going & sell online, but this is enough for me for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:40 AM   #8  

...and I have no idea how many cards I make a week, I'm going to have to start recording that! ...interesting thought, Audrie, maybe even a little scary!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I love these ideas! I am making a to-do list from this forum! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I forgot about the cloud!!

We use it here at the law office, for every case. It is awesome and easily access from any computer with a password.

I am going to check on this for my personal use at home.

Thanks girlgeek for the reminder!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #11  

Hi Audrie,

I remember when I first started at SCS I would make a card for every challenge I could find. I have a large family so they received the bulk. But you�re still left with other cards that are specific so I hold on to them if that occasion may arise. I still have some cards from 2011.

I shred hefty amounts that are just plain ugly. I�ve shipped a bunch to cards for causes and sold some at church.

I now have one client that request 100 or more cards a year, and one that will order �thinking of you� cards for shut-ins at her church. I have made over 300 cards for my own church, along with hundreds of treat boxes for Women�s Fellowship luncheons and dinners.

Instead of a bottle of wine as a guest to someone�s home I will package a set of cards in a homemade card carrier. My neighbor will make us a meal just because she likes to, and I�ll give her cards because I don�t want to subject her to my cooking.

And then there are the ones that I keep because I�ll never want to make again. Some are ugly and some are very unique and cannot be duplicated. I guess it�s like saving that useless and ugly keepsake you pick up at a flee market thinking someone else may want it some day.

When I think my cards are worthy I will try esty.

Thanks for this post Audrie! I like to vent.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 06:21 AM   #12  

Oh, I forgot to say that I photograph mostly all cards now. Not all make it to SCS.

1. Christmas cards are kept in boxes
2. All others are on a rack in my crafting room so others can see when they are interested.

See Rack and boxes here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #13  

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

Such an interesting forum you have started Audrie. I must admit that I am not very organized as some of you seem to be.
I do this from Audrie's list:
Target sentiments that can apply to many situations: I like to use motivating sentiments that could work as "any day" kind of cards when I do challenges or cases. This expands my ability to deliver cards to others at anytime in the future. I don't stamp inside until the day I deliver them which leaves my options open.

2. I try and take a photo of my cards and I just leave them on the camera stik and on my computer. I post them here and on my blog if I am happy with them.

3. I do sell some of them but generally I try and give them away. I have also done a few Christmas craft shows.

4. Bundle some to give away as a gift.

I just have to keep on making them but I really do need to get more organized....too many other things take priority right now.

Anxious to read others posts too...thanks Audrie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also like making notecard gift sets lately - I keep my eye out for ideas that might make a good set. Or if I make one less elaborate card, I just whip out 3 or 5 more in different colors while I have the supplies out and the process down to complete a set. Now I try to keep a few on hand to give out as little gifts, whenever the occasion arises. The envelope punch board has been awesome for making the gift boxes.
Partial Die Cut Thanks Note Set by karjor - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Butterfly Collection Note Card Gift Set by karjor - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Winter Notecard Gift set by karjor - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I am hosting an end of the school year breakfast for 8-10 neighborhood, and this thread just gave me the idea that I should put a basket of single cards out and let each person take one or two home as a party favor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #15  
Favorites Team Notifier

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Recently I gave too large boxes away (about 300 cards or so). One I gave to House built of cards, she sells them to earn money to build homes in 3rd world countries. She is on the DD team right now.
I gave another box to the local SPCA to sell as a fund raiser. I just can't stand letting them sit around collecting dust, (plus they are in the way!!!).
So I think it's great giving them to a cause to raise money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #16  

Love Angela's idea of a gift card set as a hospitality thank you! Do you have any photos of this? And of the box?

Thanks Karjor for your ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #17  

Audrie,

What a great topic... First let me say.... If possible, please take photos of every card that is sent off or donated. I've learned the hard way.

I try to take photos of every card.

I keep a file of each card and transfer them to a flash drive every so often. I should at least have them in categories or by the year. I'll have to work on that.

I have two spinning card racks in my stamp room. These are for newer cards. When they get full, I move the cards into containers. They are all put into categories. When someone needs a card, it is easy to find one.

I give many cards to my family to use. If they need one, they come get one. When my niece visits, she takes several.

Certain cards, I can't part with. (yes, they are the ones I would never want to make again)

I sell some of my cards to the ladies my mom plays bingo with. They ask for cards and or my mom brings a box full for them to look through. I sell most for $3.00 each. The money just goes back into supplies. I go through my older stash every so often and give them to mom. She picks out what she wants and then she will let her friends pick cards to send out.

I've done the HYCCT challenge, all the cards that I make are of course sent off to MD Anderson hospital in Houston. I've done a couple of other causes as well.

It is easier for me to have someone say they like a card, then it is for me to make a card that I think they will like. I have a bit of anxiety when it comes to making cards for specific people. I've made up to 15 cards to give someone a choice. It is just easier to give them a full box to look through. This way they can take what they actually like. I think I have enough of a variety to make most people happy.

I've been trying to make more general type cards. I usually leave the insides blank, unless the front sentiment demands it. I'll add inside sentiments if someone requests it.

I hardly ever use bows or thick embellishments. I love mail friendly cards. It is also easier for others to send when they are donated or given away.

I love the idea of giving to a local charity. I'm sure there are a lot of smaller charities around that would love the opportunity to raise a little extra money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really dont have that problem...I always send cards or give cards to Albany Med Hospital.
For example...if someone leaves a wonderful comment on my card I surprise them with it...I know some people here on sc probably have the very first one they have ever made.
It is usually the one that says they make cas cards because they are easy to mail...lol~
I am always making gift sets to give to my son's teachers at school and I love to hear how much they love the cards I have given them. Try it sometime...when someone leaves a great comment turn around and send them the card~ Make someone smile when they go to the mailbox...hugs
FS-219
DT bugaboo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a happy solution to a happy problem that I wish I had. I am not as productive as I'd like, and have absolutely no cards to stash, unless I make them specifically for someone on a specific date in the future (like a birthday card) - and then I stash it until it's time to send it out. All the cards that I make partially just for fun I usually send to my nephews and nieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I used to photograph all my cards but there is so much inspiration here that I haven't been taking pictures very often anymore! If I have a favorite, I case it before I send it off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I send them to friends, family and tons to Operation Write Home. They bring much more joy once they leave my hands then they do sitting around my house. I photograph some, save them to a private Pinterest board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Heart YOU ARE BLESSED,

Thanks so much to everyone who responded! I learned many things from this post! Most important I learned that we all treasure giving our cards to others who are dear to us, and even to strangers if it will bring them a smile. I think this message says so much about the heart of SCS. In a world that sometimes seems so selfish, this was truly a breath of fresh air. We are blessed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

a senior center is another possibility for sharing cards. I also do a shut in ministry for our church for those ill, new babies, funeral, encouragement and even to community members losing a young one in the family; as a loss to our community

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #24  

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlgeek101View Post
Thanks so much to everyone who responded! I learned many things from this post! Most important I learned that we all treasure giving our cards to others who are dear to us, and even to strangers if it will bring them a smile. I think this message says so much about the heart of SCS. In a world that sometimes seems so selfish, this was truly a breath of fresh air. We are blessed!

I Agree!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Default Great ideas!

I scan every card I make so I can keep enjoying them & refer back in case I want to make another. Luckily I started w/ the 1st card i made so I have them all. I store them in Dropbox which I love.

I make cards to donate to Operation Write Home. They send them to our service men and women overseas who use them to send home to family and friends. Its an awesome cause, the organization is extremely well run plus there are lots of tutorials you can watch and challenges you can join. It's great. I recently sent off my first box of 150 cards and planned to take a break. Here I am a few weeks later w/ another 50 already made. An unexpected bonus is that in making so many cards I've gotten a lot better at at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

My problem is the "incoming cards". Most of those I want to keep. I give them a spray of my perfume and use them as drawer linings. Everyday I reveal one somewhere and think about the sender. Reading some of them from grandchildren gives me a smile the whole day. I recommend it. Camina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

I photograph my cards and file according to the stamp set on my computer. I donate to, The Cleveland Ronald McDonald House for families to use while they stay there, A nursing home and assisted living facility, and Operation Write Home for soldiers across the world. Churches can use cards as well. I display my cards in my stamping area for a while, then they get filed in a box to be donated. I hand a wide ribbon from the top of a door in my foyer and attach cards others have sent to me which is a fun way to see cards and get new ideas. Gook Luck with donating your cards.
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Default Great ideas, thanks.

What a great idea to photographs the cards and use them as wall�per or evern a screensaver on your computer. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a beautiful box that any occasion cards go to and pull one out when i am in a hurry or forgot someone. but for 90% of the time i take a picture with my phone and upload to pinterest. i use to do scs but all the rules and time it takes to do scs pinterest is seconds. so i don't share on scs any more. i can upload pretty much any size to pinterest so i love it. i store my favorite there too. i also store on Photobucket when i gather a few to go there. click and its easy. Kat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #30  

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What a great topic and how creative you are with your ideas.

I have a sister that goes through my stash about once or twice a year and totally relieves me of cards. The ugly ones she leaves. It is so much fun to see her go through the cards because she comments "ooh, I love the colors," "hate this card," "can't wrap my mind around this card," "such a gorgeous technique." She's very creative, but doesn't use it much for card making.

My SIL just comes by when she needs something special, which in turn makes me feel special enough for her to come by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #31  
Glitter Queen

I photograph every card I make as well a type out the directions, sizes of all cuts or dies, stamps or ink used, etc, then copy/paste and print out the photo right on the directions sheet. This goes into protective sleeve and then a ring binder. For me, this is a great way to make a card very quickly.

Most of my cards are donated - not only gives me a good feeling, helps others and allows me a terrific reason to "get new stuff!"

Great topic and I really like all of the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

I am new to this site. I love all your ideas and am considering putting a few choices of inserts with sentiments in the card box I give away that way if they don't want to write in something on the card they can pick an insert that they like. It's easy to print the insert from your computer and cut to size of card inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Great Idea Rosebud! I can do that with the cards I have on hand for my personal use. I always have a hard time figuring out what to say...but with a supply already done...no sweat. TY!!!

I do use my computer for most of my sentiments, adding color to most everything I print out, and I print out a template for future use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenziedstamperView Post
Love Angela's idea of a gift card set as a hospitality thank you! Do you have any photos of this? And of the box?

Thanks Karjor for your ideas!
I make lots of sets of cards for gifts, mostly personalized note cards. I always use this tutorial to make a box for the cards. You can use any color card stock you want, and then I add a belly band. Makes a very nice gift!

Splitcoaststampers - A2 Card Project Tutorial by Beate Johns

Here is an example of some I made last Christmas:
Attached Thumbnails
Ideas for recording and sharing cards?-note-cards-owls-001.jpg  

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #35  
Watercolor Wizard

Great thread, Audrey, and awesome responses!

In response to types of sentiments used, I have to say that sending most of what I make to Operation Write Home has affected that. I tend to use only sentiments that they easily take (birthday, love, thinking of you, hello, thank you), unless I'm making a specific card for my use. If OWH doesn't like it, I don't do it.

Although...I do use Stickles on cards I intend to use rather than donate. Because glitter is fun for civilians but totally bad for troops.

I photograph all my cards that I like and save them on a separate hard drive networked to my laptop. Easy to do, but I find I almost never look at them again. I suspect I'd do better to set up a pinterest board for my own cards. I'd review them if I had a pin board! Perhaps one day I'll be so organized.

Thanks for this thread, Audrey! Lots to think about here and so many good ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Every card I make is for a specific person. I do about a dozen birthday cards a month---each different, but with the same theme. Same for holidays---everyone gets their own special card. If I need some particular kind of card (low on thank you's or get well) I may make 2 of one that was designated as a birthday card for someone and put a different greeting on it. Those I keep in file boxes divided by occasion. I scan or take a picture of every card and have it by type in my computer. I write up a text to go with each one with colors, sizes, and stamps along with who it went to and the date. I can make another, if I want, or use the info if I teach that card to my group. I used to keep a sample of each card, but after filling binder after binder, I started the scanning process and gave the samples away. I give some as gifts, send some to OWH and sometimes my daughter comes to raid my stash, however she makes beautiful ones of her own when she has time. I do keep a few to decorate with for a while, but think most will eventually be sent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Default Love Honest People!

I especially love those people who are honest about what they like! Really helps me to pick what I will post on Etsy. This made me laugh too!

Hugs,
Audrie

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie nelsonView Post

I have a sister that goes through my stash about once or twice a year and totally relieves me of cards. The ugly ones she leaves. It is so much fun to see her go through the cards because she comments "ooh, I love the colors," "hate this card," "can't wrap my mind around this card," "such a gorgeous technique." She's very creative, but doesn't use it much for card making.

My SIL just comes by when she needs something special, which in turn makes me feel special enough for her to come by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #38  

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie nelsonView Post

Hilarious! I love to see what people choose too, usually the very opposite of what I expect. How fun to hear your sisters comments, especially what she hates...I'm still giggling at that! Agree with Audrie that it's refreshing to hear the honest truth, and easier to assess future project ideas in light of honest assessment.
My son & DIL often take baby shower, wedding, engagement cards. Mum takes get well and sympathy cards. I make several anniversary cards by request for a friend each year. I've just had a masculine 'thinking of you' set of 6 requested. It's great to keep those cards moving on thru my front door.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #39  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

My daughter stops by and goes through my cards -- and takes those she likes. I also give boxes of six or eight cards as hospitality gifts. I meet a friend of mine several times a year for lunch; she lives three hours away, so we obviously don't see each other every day! I always give her a gift box of cards, which she says she now looks forward to receiving. And I send several boxes of cards a year to Operation Write Home. And yet, I still have boxes of cards sitting in my craft room!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Great thread - it is so interesting to see what people do with their cards.

I photograph all mine and keep them on iPhoto on my computer. I don't have a blog but post most of them on SCS.

I make birthday cards for specific people, but most of all I love making Christmas cards and make far more than I can use so decided to hold a sale of Christmas cards and homemade shortbread at my house once a year in November for friends and family. I give all the money I raise (usually between $800 and $1,000) to the therapeutic riding stable where I volunteer with horse riding for kids with disabilities. It's a win-win situation - they get some money to help fund riders who don't get coverage from their health care, and I get to indulge my love of making tons of Christmas cards.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes