Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12x12 file drawers

Does anyone have suggestions for a 12x12 filing cabinet with pull out drawers? I can't seem to find one that is reasonably priced and functional. I need one where the drawers slide easily like a regular office cabinet.is the drawers don't slide easily.

Every couple of months I search SC and google, but haven't found the answer. I'm sure some of the clever crafters here have come up with a good solution, maybe repurposing something I'm not thinking of.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I haven't seen one, so can't really help you there, but I had an idea that I was going to implement once upon a time that might/might not be helpful: You can buy "drawer glides" that mount to the base of a cabinet (inside). I was going to put a file box on them inside the lower part of a hutch for 12" x 12" paper, but I re-geared and cut most of my paper down to fit in standard letter-size file drawers...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found several rolling carts that hold hanging 12x12 files, problem is they are flimsy. The casters can't take the weight or the files themselves tear (plastic wont hold the weight). I would LOVE to find a file CABINET for my 12x12 paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the ideas - I guess I what I wanted was ready - made, I would have found it already! What I would really like is a metal filing cabinet like those you can find for offices, but sized for 12x12. Nice, solid, and with easy gliding drawers so I don't have to fight them fully loaded. I'm surprised it doesn't exist, given the market for paper crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

try looking for lateral filing cabinets - maybe with legal sized drawers. These cabinets are wide and the entire drawer contents is visible when you open the drawer, don't have to pull the entire drawer out to reach papers in the back.

I worked for an accounting firm and these are the types of file cabinets we had - they were 4 drawers high, but I have seen them only 2 drawers high.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 01:37 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Maybe call staples or other office supply stores. Maybe they can order you one and have it shipped to store to save on shipping costs. Good luck!

I have a shelf for a lot of my 12x12 because I am a paper hoarder and that would require too many carts. I have one cart that holds 12x12 that I keep my SU paper in and one that holds 8 x 11-1/2 but I also have 3 shelves on a bookcase full of paper too ;-0 Embarrassing but I LOVE paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A lateral filing cabinet was what I was going to suggest too but a new one will probably be expensive. I've never seen a cheap "knock off" in the lateral style, maybe you could get a used one cheap. Look for used office furniture stores in your area. Given the present economy and the fact that businesses are closing up shop constantly, you just might find something. If it's ugly, there is always spray paint, stencils, alcohol inks, decoupage.... etc!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I know exactly what you mean, I have been searching for YEARS and would have thought one would have been made by now. I store all my 12 X 12 papers in the 12 X 12 holders (like the magazine ones). However, I am debating on this idea, as I just went to a 31 party and they have a cube that will hold 12 X 12 paper and you can get a lid to go with it. The cube is called Your Way Cube for $35 and the lid is Your Way Cube Lid for $10. A bit pricey, but it does hold a lot of paper.

[FONT=Verdana] [SIZE=5]Donna M.
SPLITCOAST FAN CLUB MEMBER
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice if lateral files would work for 12x12 paper but I do not think the drawers are deep enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 05:01 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The drawers on some at least would be deep enough but what would one use to file them with. 11 x 14 file folders are vertical, another words only 11 inches deep and I for one have never seen any that are 12 inches in size, has anyone else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I'm not crazy about them, but I bought my drawers at Michael's on 50% off sale to hold 12 x 12. They aren't the best, but they work for now. They are the Recollections brand and are white.

They also sell the hanging file folders for 12 x 12 paper and cardstock.

Just a suggestions!

I have a legal size file cabinet with hanging files for my 8-1/2 x 11 cardstock. It is an old one, tan, from a used office furniture store. It's the same as we used to use when I worked in the county attorney's office as a paralegal. These file folders and drawers do not work for 12 x 12 and neither will the lateral drawers, which hold the same sized file folders.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been looking for years also. I have found some that have had their hubby's make them one. I have e-mailed Rubbermaid pleading with them to address this... I have searched high and low... looked at various options, etc...

What I've been using for some years is the old cardboard Standford ones that Joann's used to sale. It came with a lid and file folders, was a great deal and it still holding up after almost 10 years, I have 2 of them. I have added a few years ago, 2 of the Really useful Boxes... They don't hold as much as the cardboard ones, but they are nice. The file folders are not interchangeable, which is a bummer....
Really Useful Boxes Plastic Storage Box 25 Liters With 5 Hanging Files 14 14 H x 10 W x 15 34 D Clear by Office Depot

We all know how heavy paper gets when you get a box full... so for a cheap way of moving these things around, I got the wood planter movers things in the Garden centers, you know those slated wood ones with the casters... got them for buy 1 get one 1/2 off sort of thing... the casters are great, the boxes set under my work table and I can easily pull one out to get the paper I need and slide it back.... my regular paper is in a regular filing cabinet....

all is well, until I find what I think it a better setup....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

The Anna Griffin rolling paper file does not meet my criteria for reasonably priced nor does it hold anywhere near enough paper for me. But it is lovely. The description does not say that it holds 12 x 12, but since the over all dimensions are 18 x 18 it seems like it would.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Once upon a time, this unit came with a concealed drawer inside the file drawer. I worked out that it would have been deep enough for 12x12 if you removed the concealed drawer and wide enough if you used the drawer laterally.

The hanging folders would be short but if you used the regular sized ones you would be able to see the tops of the papers and you could always use something stiff, taped to the top of the folder to stick up and label the sections.

Trouble is, I'm not sure if you can still get that drawer to pull out. :confused:

Last edited by KoffeeKat; 04-23-2014 at 06:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for this link. They are still available and the only item I could find. I ordered 2. Thanks again!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge the Lord, and He will make your path straight Prov 3: 5-6.
Reply With Quote Likes