Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Building a die library

As a new Big Kick owner, I need to build a die library. After purchasing the basic shapes, i.e. circle, square, oval, what other dies (and brand) would you recommend. I'm looking for the most bang and versatility for my buck. I think I need to purchase a star and a heart set, but not sure which company to go with. Then, I get overwhelmed by the various flowers, dies w/stamps, etc.

What dies do you use the most? Aside from the coupons at the big box stores,

Who do you think routinely offers the best prices? thanks.

mob
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 04:48 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I added a few off the wall shapes like windows, gazebo, gate fence and labels. The labels are awesome, because you can not only add a saying but also add a flower or jewel in the center of it!.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I've gotten a LOT of mileage out of an alphabet set and a number set. Comes in VERY handy for milestone birthdays and anniversaries, or personalizing and monogramming! They look amazing when cut from the thinner glitter papers. I honestly don't use too many of the nesting sets I've bought, there's just too many pieces and I only use one or two out of each set. I'm considering selling off the pieces I don't use as a big lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I own a lot of dies - I love my dies. But choosing them is personal choice. Look at your style and choose dies that reflect your look.

If you think you will use a certain shape in different sizes then the nesties would be a good choice but perhaps you might like things a bit unique looking then the individual dies might call to you.

Myself I do not own any stamp/die sets because they have a negative space border which I personally do not like. I fussy cut stamped images so I have no border.

But like I said it is personal choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been slowly building my die collection. Emphasis on SLOWLY. I made a mistake with the embossing folders of buying way too much when I first got my cuttlebug, and didn't know what I'd really use or not.

I started with the basics - circles & ovals. I'm not a fan of any of the labels, so I don't need any of those.

Once I had a basics, I added some more shapes like hearts and stars. I use those more than I use the circles and ovals. I slowly added other basics, like snowflakes, botanicals (flowers and branches), a grass border, clouds, tags, and word windows and bubbles.

I find that I'm not really a fan of dies that coordinate with specific stamps. I'm good enough at fussy cutting and those dies seem much more limited to me that ones that stand on on their own.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree that it's a highly, HIGHLY personal thing! I was resistant to quite a few of the dies at first, but I quickly got over it, lol.

I love my Spellbinder hearts and scalloped hearts - aside from those, I agree with the others - look at things really objectively to see how (and how often) you'll really use it before you plunk your dollars down.

I'm another one that prefers to cut most stamped images by hand so there's no border, but I do have a few that coordinate with a stamp set - some word bubbles and a postage stamp set - that are okay with a border and just kind of fun. I did break down and get a coordinating die set that goes with a spring/Easter stamp set because I have 8 grandchildren and it will be LOTS easier to diecut those images multiple times rather than fussy cutting each one...

My general rule for buying a die - or a stamp set or embossing folder or anything else, for that matter - is that I have to have at least a few really solid ideas of ways to use it before I bring it home. If not, then I leave it there, no matter how cute or lovely or whatever. I don't have enough space (or $$) to bring things in just to admire them...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

It is personal - but I'm sure loving the word dies lately. I bought only a couple and love them! Jennifer McGuire uses them a lot and has several videos on her webpage that shows those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I agree that is really personal because only you know your style. That being said, I do like the edge dies -- like Spellbinders A2 Scalloped Borders One. I am sure other die companies have edge dies but I am not familiar with them. I also love a couple of the Spellbinders Labels dies - Labels 4 and Labels 8 are my all time favorites.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 03:11 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I have quite a few dies. I'm a clean and simple card maker, and the ones I seem to use a lot are:
* Tag dies
* Word dies
* Speech bubble dies
* Nested circle dies
* Number and Alphabet dies (for personalized birthday/anniversary cards as mentioned earlier)
* Banner dies

I don't use it too much anymore, but I got A LOT of mileage out of my Stampin' Up Top Note die.

I get most of my dies from Papertrey. They are my style, and I think they are a good deal compared to some other die makers.

Last edited by KristaTracy; 03-27-2014 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I think the best value for sets of basic shapes are the Quickutz nesting sets. I've gotten several sets for $10 a piece, and there are more sizes per set than other companies. My favorite place to buy them is this ebay store - they have frequent sales.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I agree with everyone about buying dies. Buy for your personality. You can't go wrong with basic shapes. Nestabilities are always good to start off with. I don't have a lot of steel rule dies the ones I use are basic shapes, one flower set, butterflies & dragonfly set, elephant, bathtub, key & a puzzle. I do use all those dies frequently. My biggest collection is Hello Kitty. I would be lost without my kitty dies.

My thin dies I only own the basic nesting shapes, scallop shapes & one doily die. Basic nesting shapes are always a great start for building a die collection. A good alphabet set is nice to have too. I have a couple of alpha sets I love. You can make your own alphabet stickers and Thickers with alpha dies. Saves a ton of money.

I do own a lot of little Sizzlit dies in everything from a lighthouse to a fish bowl and every in between. I use those a lot because I work in miniatures and make doll items.

I finished Spring cleaning my art studio yesterday. I took stock of things I want to buy. I know I want to add some more doily dies to my collection. That's what I will be going for next.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Since "mob" asked about sources, I'd like to suggest Ellen Hutson: Ellen Hutson | Home Scrolling through her Die Domain lets you see a lot of what is available in dies from many, many companies. You can subscribe to her emails to get notifications of occasional sales which can help your collection and/or hinder your budget.

I found it was easy to get bogged down in knowing I had all the basic shapes, and now what I use the most is die-cut images to put into them. I agree with others that you have to find your personal "style," and seeing so many dies in one place can help with that. The die company websites often have galleries that show how their design teams have used their dies, which is very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #13  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Another vote here for needing to know what your style is.
I have the basic shapes. I also have a lot of the nestabilities label shapes, because I like using them to stamp & mat images onto for my card focal points. I like having something "different" than the standard rectangle or square I can cut with my paper cutter.
I have also found that I use "generic" shapes a lot - flowers, butterflies, hearts, snowflakes, a cupcake, trees etc.
What I don't use very much - very specific shapes that have a specific use, like a specific animal or a rollerskate or a fire truck. So I stay away from those, because they don't fit my style of cardmaking and they'd end up languishing in a drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

There are so many companies offering fantastic dies. Through sales at local stores, online stores, scrapbooking conventions, garage/craft sales, etc....I have accumulated LOTS of dies...yes, I'm a hoarder...LOL.

Here are some of my favorite companies for dies (not in any particular order):
Spellbinders
Quickutz
Simon Says Stamp
MFT
Memory Box/Poppy Stamps
Marianne (a bit pricey but will buy if I REALLY want something)
Cheery Lynn
A Muse Studio
Cottage Cutz
Impression Obsession
L'il Inkers

What I find is that all of these companies offer dies that are similar (fence, grass, shapes, butterflies, etc.) So, I try not to buy similar dies from different companies.

Online stores that I have purchase from and have found awesome deals when they have a sale....be sure to subscribed to their newsletter so you get announcements on the sales: (again, in no particular order)
Scrapmart
Cottagecutz
ucutathome
Ellen Hutson
Scrapyland
MFT
Oozak
Scrapbooksteals
Simon Says Stamp (bit slow on shipping though)
Joann
7 kids college fund

I'm sure there are more stores out there, but these are the one's I have ordered from.

I also like companies that offer matching dies with stamp sets :
Lawn Fawn
A Muse Studio
Simon Says Stamp
Clearly Besotted
Hero Arts
Stamp of Life
Taylored Expressions
Mama Elephant
Your Next Stamp

With the matching dies, you don't get a lot of mileage out of them because it's specific to a stamp set. Some of the dies you can use as a stand-alone, but not too many can.

I agree with several of the comments made....die purchases are personal and you should buy those that fit your style. Some of my go-to dies , other than basic shapes, are:
butterflies/dragonflies
words
alphabet
holiday themed (snowflakes, jingle bells, easter bunnies, hearts, spider web, etc)
shapes like umbrella, clouds, balloons, hot air balloon, cats, dogs, houses, etc.
scenery dies like fence, grass, window, door, trees, etc.
Lately, I've been really getting into cover-up dies (L'il Inkers, MFT)

Basically......I'm addicted to dies. BWAHAHAAHAHA!!! HTH

ETA: I mostly make cards (not a scrapbooker), so I tend to not buy dies that are more specific to scrapbooking.

Last edited by bjlee717; 03-28-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Nestabilities. They make them so that they fit together. I also have some Asian dies. Now I am into stamps with matching dies from Sizzix and Stamps of Life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Ages ago I made the mistake of buying a lot of different Sizzex "red" dies and I found that so many of shapes I just didn't use and were not flexible to use in different ways. Most of those dies have been sold or given away. Now, when buying dies I look at how many ways can I use the die and just how often will I really use the die.

If possible I would rather use a punch (they are faster) so I check to see if I can find a punch before buying a die. I also look to see if it's going to be a pain to punch out the chad on the very ornate dies. If it looks like it's going to be a pain and that I'll have to use wax paper, I don't buy them because I know I will not use them very often.

I will only buy a die that matches a stamp set if the die cut can be used without the stamped image. I have basic flowers and leaves because they look good stamped or not so if I tire of the stamp, the die is still useful.

I don't buy dogs, cats, bunnies etc. because I know that I just won't use them that often. I'll fussy cut if I need one.

I do have several dies for garden scenes (fences, branch, trees, leaves, butterflies); buildings (windows & doors).

Frames of varying sizes and types (plan and ornate)

Basic shapes (squares, ovals, rectangles, hearts, borders, bows, banners, stars)

I do like the Spellbinders Matting basic sets. They are great for making frames.

I only have a couple of letter sets because it's not something I use that often. Since I don't scrapbook, my favorite is a small letter strip die from Tim Holtz. The other set I have is too large and it just sits un-used.

As everyone has said it about personal choice, but more importantly is getting the most use for your money. If you are a "collector" then it doesn't matter but if you want to make sure that everything you have you will use, then make careful purchases. Get to know your own preferences and buy accordingly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I have a lot of the standard shapes, labels, and some flowers. But the set/sets that I use the most are the small and large rectangle sets by Spellbinders. Whenever I am using a piece of coordinating cardstock as a border between the DSP and card base, I cut out a rectangle in the middle of the cardstock with the largest die to use as a border for smaller accents on the card. The cardstock behind the DSP is wasted and it is really easier to use the die than try to use a paper trimmer to cut it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

After spending too much money on dies I don't use, I began to look at the way I craft- I am a huge fan of rubber stamps and coloring. I realized the dies I need are label-style that fit my rubber stamps, so I can cut out the images nicely for use as card fronts etc. I did not need a lot of dies that are shaped like objects- keys, hearts, alphabets, etc. Maybe you like to build scenes, or maybe you like things steampunk or grungy. Another thing that will happen is you'll start to find odd dies at yard sales or in the deep discount at your craft store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

I started with the basic shapes, which I think most people, regardless of style will find useful and then got a star set and scalloped hearts nests. Then I got hooked on the various labels. Now I have plenty of them---even gave away some that were similar in shape and kept only those that gave a truly different look. Recently I have started to fill out my tags, banners and word label shapes. I have one flower and one branch with leaves as I really like to fussy cut--especially when it doesn't have to be perfect like a geometric shape. As other have said it is really a matter of preference. I have a friend that has lots of butterflies, flowers, leaves---you name it and she creates the most amazing cards putting things from all the different companies. That's her style and she is genius at it! I could never pull it off. Good luck in you collecting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

For the price of 10 or so Nestabilities you can buy a Silhouette Cameo! There are thousands of shapes to cut on their website and thousands of other FREE cut files all over the internet. For the last two weeks their designs were all 50 cents each! That includes their bestie like shapes. But you do not need nesties since you can size any design so you cannest them yourself. Right now Easter and spring designs are on sale for 75 cents! I am putting link to the Easter section. You can look around at other things!
Silhouette Online Store - Browse Theme: Easter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Frame and label dies were getting the most workout from me UNTIL the flip dies came along. I have two from SU and one Sizzix and use them often. The reason is because the people I give cards with this format just flip for them. I love hearing, "How did you do that?" If only they knew how easy it is. Try just one and see what you think. Probably the circle cutout one is the most versatile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I, too, started quite slowly with my die collection - I knew I could easily fall into the trap, like I did when I started stamping: buying stamps that I fell in love with, not thinking that I'd probably only use them once. So definitely go for dies you know you will use over and over.

I'm not much into nesting dies: just have one label set. I have a number of dies to produce smallish 'mounts' for a sentiment, including ribbon sliders - but that's personal choice, as I often like to make the sentiment a feature. I've got several different types of flourish die, which are always useful if you just need something more on a card. Have started collecting a few edgers and borders and a decorative square or circle or two, but I'm really not yet sure which direction I'm going in there. Flowers are definitely useful, unless you already have a another way to produce them, like punches: I have a few of those. I have a huge collection of snowflake dies, but then I'm obsessed with them!

Good luck with your die library!

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I mostly get dies that I can fit stamps and sentiments inside of and that usually ends up being Spellbinders. Do you make a ton of cards? They have an A2 sized set for layering that's awesome.

My favorite place to buy dies in right here at SCS! I'm a college student working full-time and living on my own, so I HAVE to save craft cash whereever I can. Used dies are generally in perfect condition when I buy them from the buy/sell forum here at SCS and they're waaaay cheaper than the big box coupons make them.

HOWEVER, I have stopped in Michael's quite a few times and found various dies really cheap. That's when I'll buy dies with a little flair, after they're old and deeply discounted.

Beyond that, I also have some basic banner and pennant dies from SU!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favourite place for dies is Simon Says Stamps, because the basics are so affordable. Their stars and hearts come in many different sizes on one die (with both shapes) for only $5.99 for the smaller: *Simon Says Stamp HOLIDAY SHAPES Hearts Stars Craft Die S131 and there's a larger size too for $10.94: *Simon Says Stamp LARGE HOLIDAY SHAPES Craft DIE S147 It's easy to build up your collection with each new release by buying the most affordable ones ... and they have so many other company's dies as well, so you can order all at once & save on shipping- which is quite low comparably. Plus, if you ever take the online card classes, you can even save 10% with the discount code you get by enrolling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Thumbs up Check your punches also

Before you start buying dies, it's a good idea to look at what punches you have. Do you have flower, butterfly punches, etc. that you like and use regularly? If so, you may not want to purchase dies that are similar. Same for circles, ovals, leaves, snowflakes, borders, etc. I'd start there. After that think about what you'd really use a lot. Do you do mostly A2 cards, or a different size? What about tags, little gift boxes, etc. for birthdays and holidays? There are some really great dies for those things available. Would you like dies that match stamp sets? It's a great way to avoid fancy cutting tough things to cut around, like multiple petals, butterfly antennae, etc. Some basic shapes I find I use a lot are grass, clouds, grass slopes (set of 2 dies that gives you two layers to make sloping ground for snow, hills, etc.), banners, butterflies, flowers and leaves, as well as some holiday shapes. As others have said this is a personal thing. When you're ready to buy, good places to shop are Taylored Expressions, Memory Box, Papertrey Ink and Simon Says Stamp. All of these are fantastic. Spellbinders are also great for basic shapes like ovals and scalloped circles if you don't have punches for those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile One more thought

One additional tip-take a look on Taylored Expressions and Papertrey Ink for their cutting plates type dies-these are 4 x 5 1/4 inch dies that will cut out an intricate design to cover a front of a card. Memory Box has a few of these type also. If you make A2 sized cards you may like these. There are general designs (swirl, chevron, flower, etc.) and also holiday ones and they are gorgeous. If you do purchase intricate dies such as these, doilies, some of the Memory Box dies, etc. you will also need to buy a metal adapter plate, a thin metal sheet about 4 x 5 1/2 that you place over the die and paper to provide extra cutting pressure for these types of dies. Otherwise you may end up with part that doesn't cut through all the way. I HIGHLY recommend one of these for anything beyond a basic shape. They sell them on Taylored Expressions for sure (where I got mine) and I'm sure a lot of the other die sites. It ran about $10-11 and works perfectly. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Good point about the Cameo...

but I have a Cricut I never really learned how to use. I should tackle that first I think. Now that I actually have a space to scrap there's no excuse not to. Thanks for all the advice. The two items I don't have in either a die or punch is a heart and a star. I'd like both and I'm just not sure which way to go on it. The nice thing about the nesting dies is that I can get multiple sizes. But, punches are fast and easy. I'll figure it out.
Thank again,
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW! I must live in a very small world...I had no idea there were so many companies selling fabulous dies! Here I thought I had a fairly nice inventory of dies to use on my cards and mini albums...silly me. This is a fantastic thread...I've been referred to so many terrific resources. The Ellen Hutson site is incredible! Leave it to SCS members to always have the best information! So glad to hear from so many knowledgeable paper enthusiasts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Dies are a danger zone for me. I can love tons of them but I have have control b/c the truth is-how often will I use it? I have a quite a few now. Have you decided how to store them? We recently had a thread talking about that.

I agree- it's personal. For example, I garden so I have a set of garden pots, etc. What images are a lot of your stamps in? Flowers? Geometric? You could compliment what you have for layering. Do you like silhouettes because dies come in those.

I don't feel like I can tell you what shapes to get but maybe some guidelines/ideas that you can think about when deciding:

For value (and creative challenge) look at die tutorials. When you see a lot of them, you realize you can really multi-task even your basic shapes. I am getting into swing cards and there are some kickin' dies out there to make multi stage swing! Be still my heart lol But we can make simple half cuts with vertical folds and in different positions for a "layer" effect with basic shapes or more complex like snowflakes. We can use basic shapes to cut windows. We can cut up basic shapes to make other things. Like squares into triangles and do a patchwork look, etc using pattern paper. So really explore what you can do with basic shapes.

I like nestabilities because I like to layer. I can also cut frames to put around a stamped image.

Sets with large dies can either cover the whole card front or cut the card itself into the shape. Or some single dies are meant to cover a whole card front...I was just looking at falling hearts over at Simon Says for example.

Some dies lend themselves to inlay better (cut it twice in two colors and switch negatives) A good tool for this is the Pick Me Up and isnt expensive. You can google it.

Label sets can make some nice masks. You stamp an image in black for example and then mask it and hit it with distress ink for a VERY CAS effect. Or emboss the label shape to pop it. Stamp in a sentiment, done. Or cut it out, layer it and do something more.

Pay attention to sizes and complexity. As said already, some will have a gazillion chads to pop and that might not be your thing. Some might be tiny or very huge. I took an A2 postcard and gridded it with half inch/full inch. I cant tell you how often I refer to that when trying to appreciate the size of stamps, embellishments, stencils, etc including dies. I use it daily when shopping online. In a craft store I might pick up a box of cards so I can use that as a gauge walking around if I forget my grid. I made too many mistakes thinking I understood the scale "in my head".

Build a wishlist. The thing that looks good today might not tomorrow. And it gives you a chance to wait for sales. And to compare...also already said...many companies make similar images but you like this one better than that one. Avoid owning "that" one and having regrets. Window shop a bit.

A good way to find out about sales is to sign up for newsletters from the places that you like the dies best in. They will often offer their readers sales they dont offer others via coupon codes.

I find Joanns calls it a sale but frankly most of the time has 40% off on some type of cardmaking stuff. Scrap Mart right now has a bunch of Spellbinder dies for 10 bucks because as they told me..Spellbinders is discontinuing a bunch so Scrap Mart got the deal to help them clear them out. The choice has already shrunk quite a bit but there is still some left.

That's good advice above about thinking about punches as well. If you are going to use a shape a lot, punches might be faster than dies but you have to find models that dont make your wrist ache.

Do you like the look of popped images? (putting dim tape on the back). Some shapes lend themselves to that more...like I was just looking at a set of balloons. Balloons I can use for BD, Get Well, Congrats, kid cards, etc

What I can tell you is I love the basic Spellbinder matting sets...makes layering so much easier...and they became so popular that they make them with lots of cut borders now. So far I am resisting a bunch of those too lol. because I am debating if edge punches might be more versatile.

I have yet to see less expensive dies cut any worse than more expensive ones...so dont be afraid of that. But be aware of which ones say they will cut heavy materials like felt/metal/plastic if you do other crafts and want to use them way b/c not all will.

Dies are a LOT of fun...you are going to have a great time with them!

Now I have to go look up a bunch of sites listed here I have not heard of before!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Oooh-I forgot one important thing I learned the hard way-

On the subject of dies with matching stamps...I too lean away from them though many love them...with one exception. Banners.

It is very hard to find sentiments to fit into banner dies, esp if they are curved. I got a set of banners and found this out.

And die sets: I lean away from stamp sets too because usually I will like 1-2 out of 6 of them and the value isn't there for me. Often companies may often die sets as single pieces. I would rather pay a bit more for the one I will use and not waste what I wont.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Dies are pricey and I used very few that I bought. I recently learned the inlay technique and love it so I'm particularly fond of flowers and other elements. I purchased a lot of Spellbinders shapes and recently gave a lot away since they rarely fit the artwork or stamp I am using or have created. Someone said it best, it's a personal preference. My brand preference is Memory Box since they offer so much. My suggestion is before you buy all the shapes that nest, purchase a few and see what you are using the most unless you already know what appeals to you.

Also keep in mind if it is something you want for one time, manually cut it. It is worth the savings for something you will use much more often.

Last edited by stiz2003; 04-02-2014 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

It's funny how there are so many fancy dies around but I still use my basic shapes eg: circle, square etc. and the matching scalloped ones the most. I have had my Spellbinder nesting dies for ages but ended up buying the Lifestyle (formerly Quickutz) nesting sets of circle, square, rectangle etc, and matching scalloped ones because the Lifestyle ones go up to a much larger size than Spellbinders which is great for cardstock bases if you want a different shape - plus I often found that the largest die in the Spellbinder Nesting sets just wasn't quite big enough for what I needed. That being said, I use my Spellbinder Labels One dies the most out of all the fancier shapes and it is great that they have Labels One small and large plus they have the co-ordinating Decorative Labels One and Scalloped Labels One which I love.

I use my Lifestyle Nesting Star dies quite often because I make alot of boys cards and they are great for a card base or you can use a smaller star to stamp a sentiment on or just diecut some glitter cardstock with the smallest star to embellish my image. The star dies are also great for Christmas cards. I have plenty of flower dies but rarely use them because I don't embellish my cards alot with flowers - I make pretty simple cards and adding lots of flower embellishments just isn't my "thing" so I have discovered even though I love what others do with their flowers on their cards. If I try to add flowers to my card, my card looks too busy.

I think it would be wise to just hang-back and make a Wish List - maybe use Pinterest or Clipix as an online clipboard and pin dies that appeal and maybe a few card samples that use them and then come back and revisit whether you think you would get use out of the dies. These days, I "Pin" things that I want and probably 90% of the time, I don't end up buying them which has saved alot of money and the guilt of buying something that I have never used. Also, if I see a die and get super-excited but can't immediately think of a couple of ways of using it on a card, I don't buy it - it goes on my Wish List Pin Board. I have also bought from the same EBay store that Dini recommended even though I am in Australia and found them prompt and reliable and their prices are really good. 123 Stitch in the USA is also a fantastic store with a huge range and I have ordered from them for years - dies, stamps, etc. and never had a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie1974View Post
It's really interesting to read all these comments about dies. I don't know how many I currently have, but I have amassed quite the collection. I have basic shapes like circles, squares, and labels, and then I have more specific ones. I have a lot of leaf/flower ones, a few butterfly ones, a couple of dragonfly ones, some ladybugs, several birds, some cupcakes, some clouds, a fence one, several borders, some Valentine's Day ones, several Christmas ones, a kite one, several snowflakes, a few word ones, a doily one, and I don't know what else. I would like to get some banners and pennants, and a grass/snow slope one. And I'd like to get some thought/speech bubble ones. I personally prefer dies to punches, as they require less storage space. However, I have been burnt on some of the more intricate dies. A few of them won't even work with wax paper. I like several companies, but if you live in Canada, (at least Alberta) it is worth noting that you can find a lot of SpellBinders sets for very cheap at HomeSense/Winners. They usually retail for about $10.00, when they normally cost about $35.00 elsewhere. They (HomeSense/Winners) usually sell basic label or shape sets, and sometimes borders.

Angie-
Sometimes we need to cut with the wax paper several times before the die gets "broken in".

I once saw a visiting mfg rep demo at my LSS just smack the die on a table to knock all the chads out...that has not worked for me but did for him that day. Also it scares me-I dont want to bend the die. That guy can get another one to use probably for free!

Besides, you still have to get the image itself out! Sometimes they are sooo delicate it is very easy to tear/bend them in the process. I have a butterfly like that. I "think" heavy paper would make that easier but so many DPs are thinner! (sigh)

I did also just get a 1mm embossing tool that is TINY headed that I want for just this purpose because some of the "help holes" are so tiny. I dont like straight pins. I poke holes it the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Angie-

I once saw a visiting mfg rep demo at my LSS just smack the die on a table to knock all the chads out...that has not worked for me but did for him that day. Also it scares me-I dont want to bend the die. That guy can get another one to use probably for free!

Besides, you still have to get the image itself out! Sometimes they are sooo delicate it is very easy to tear/bend them in the process. I have a butterfly like that. I "think" heavy paper would make that easier but so many DPs are thinner! (sigh)

I did also just get a 1mm embossing tool that is TINY headed that I want for just this purpose because some of the "help holes" are so tiny. I dont like straight pins. I poke holes it the paper.
I smack my dies on my trash can and haven't bent one yet. But the chad flies all over the place. If I were to bend one, I'd just run it through by BS and flatten it back out.

I was using my tiny embossing stylus and get this, it eventually took the ball tip off. Yep, now my little ball stylus is a flat. I still use it because I also don't like using a straight pen.

One more thing, I look to see if a die has release holes and if it doesn't, I don't buy the die. It's too hard to clean out the chad or get the image out of the die. I have some that I bought before I knew about the holes and I rarely use them. I guess I'm a bit lazy, but I don't want to work that hard to get a product to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Heart

You definitely should check out sizzix.com They have huge sales several times a year and you can pick up an amazing array of dies for next to nothing. Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

OH no Angie! I hate when that happens! :( Haven't we all been there! Maybe you could re-sell it, for a little off since you haven't really used it at a garage sale or something? Or here...but I think you would have to cut the price a lot? Better than just letting it sit there taking up space. Trade it-sometimes other people like things that dont work for us.

Also look at The Pick Me Up tool for small bits..has a sticky end for small bits. More than that but you'll see when you google it. There is a version over at Quickcutz too I think.

Stamp happy-I am not a...delicate person. I am heavy footed walking (not driving) and handed...I almost certainly would destroy something I smacked. I am just too scared.

Wow on the embossing tool head! I was thinking it might be so small as to still poke holes in the paper. Huh. Did it get caught on the edge of the release hole?

Thanks Cajuncutie! I am always looking for sales!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

thank you all for such wonderful advice and lists
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Good info here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

I have lots of Bigz dies, love the shapes, and bought all of mine on clearance at hobby lobby. they don't seem to carry as many of them now, going to the thinlits dies, which I don't really care for.
I love my spellbinders that I got on clearance at H lobby as well.
I got my Big Shot in '05 at CHA and collected most of the Red sizzix dies, I still use them.
Then along comes cuttlebug embossing folders, I jumped into that medium fast and have collected a bunch of them I love using them and find cards just look too plain without some embossing on them. I really appreciate them, thinking back to the days when we hand embossed everything with brass stencils and a light table...........whew that took TIME.
Our hobby just keeps evolving and getting better and better with time. It is exciting to see what is next, to stir our creativity to the next level.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2014, 05:15 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

First of all this is a hobby so I really don't think of bargains. I buy what I like because they are all expensive for what you are getting, really. That thin little bit of metal can't cost to much to produce. So as far as bargains when you find them let me know! That thought aside I like Memory Box, Impression Obsession, Poppy, Sizzix ( I probably use my label dies the most so perhaps they are my best bargain) There are a lot of other companies. I just ordered my first ones from PTI. I just think its all personal preference. Have fun getting your dies together!
Reply With Quote Likes