Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Responsible spending for 2014

I think most will agree the "Cold Turkey " idea was a failure . I don't know anyone who went an entire year with out buying something .
So I renamed the thread this year to be "Responsible Spending for 2014"

My goals are;
1. Faithfully stick to my monthly budget which is considerably less than what I spent last year . Just so I can stick to my craft budget I have budgeted twice as much money for the month of November. I know I will be tempted by the Black Friday and Holiday sales

2. Basics supplies such as adhesives and paper WILL count toward my monthly craft allowance. They are not free.

3. Don't buy anything that has not been on a wish/need list for at least 5 days .

4. Don't buy more of anything than I need. I am not saving money by buying because it is on sale or stocking up on anything that is not being used.

5. I will Try to adhere to " something in--something out" "Try" is the key word here

Who wants to join me ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2014, 08:11 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I really need to work on using up hoarded supplies this year - we're planning a furlough at the end of the year, so that can mean less to pack away then, and also some room for new and updated supplies I purchase in the States (!!).

A good rule of thumb for purchasing new stamps (sometimes I stick to this!) is not buying anything that I couldn't use 3 different ways.

I'm interested to hear other plans! Yesterday I resisted spending $5 more to save $2. My dad would be proud -- one of his classic lines is "You can't afford to save that much!"
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Barbara Jay- I love your idea. I can't with cold turkey. I don't even like cold turkey.

I am not trying to save money in my art studio. I am just so burned out on the craft stores. I made my own resolutions too. Plus, I don't live near the craft stores too when I do go I feel like I spend my crafting budget in gas.

Here's mine-

1. Buy online with reasonable shipping. Shipping has to be lower than what I would pay in gas to visit a craft store.

2. Kit up each of my projects. Look to see what supplies I need. Make those supplies. Find an alternative to the supply. Then I can buy what I need.

3. Do not get caught up into trends. I love to see the excitement of everyone who finds a new product they love. I love to hear about it. For me I am so picky that trends don't usually fit my needs. I have done the trends. I am glad I did to found this out about myself. No trend shopping!

Only exception to this rule this year is Tim's Distress Spritzer. I have wanted a spritzer for a long time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 01:29 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll join you! This year I've already bought a lot of stacks of basic, cream paper (which I got for free shipping and no tax), which is what I mostly use for card bases. Today I just bought a lot of postage stamps (I'm counting these towards crafting, because I mostly use them for cards) (it was $1.75 for shipping, no tax). My next purchase will need to be envelopes. I see all of these as basic supplies and I buy them in bulk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

So far, this year has been good. No impulse buys, using what I have, staying away from paper which I need to buy again, oh yeah, never! I'm taking it a month at a time.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 03:51 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I started reducing my craft spending last year and I've have to say I bought 50% less than the previous year. My strategy:

I rarely shop big box stores and since the closest LSS is 25 minutes away, I don't make many quip trips just to browse

I rarely read emails promoting sales; I've unsubscribed from all but my favorite online stores

I no longer hoard those "special" items - I get more joy in using up something than buying new

Biggest change - don't buy something just because it's the latest need to have item. I wait a few months and in most circumstance the overwhelming desire fades away

When I felt the need to really, really, really have a new stamp, I bought a digi or made sure it was something I could use multiple times

The overall effect is that I'm enjoying having less because it challenges me to find interesting way to use what I have instead of hitting the store to find an easy solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 04:25 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm in! My strategies:
  • Evaluate every purchase - HOW will I use this? WHEN will I use this? Will I REALLY use this?
  • Review my current stamp/paper/tool collections to evaluate where there are "holes" (for example, I currently do not have any sympathy stamps or a nice yellow ink pad). ONLY fill the holes.
  • Use the above strategies to weed out my current stash. Donate whatever isn't staying.

I was going to add that if something had been on my wish list for more than a year or two then it was likely that I really did want that item, but then I thought "If you want it so badly, then why haven't you bought it already?", so now I'm re-evaluating those items with the above criteria, too...

I'm sure I'll be tweaking as I go, but that's how I plan to function this year! I have joined a Hostess Club, but my wish list follows my plan, and it will just barely allow me to fulfill this obligation

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this idea much better, and I've already implemented something like it but with a different purpose in mind.

I've given my husband and myself each a "budget" each month. We're not really overspending, although I would like to recover from two bathroom renovations and a really bad December (two emergency car repairs & a bicycle I ordered came three months early).

But, I started this because he's recently discovered ebay and packages have been arriving every day for him (his hobby is modeling of various types - model rockets, balsa planes, etc).

I've also got a closet and craft room both bursting at the seams, and I wanted to make sure I was curbing my impulse purchases and really choosing items that would fill a need rather than just catching my eye at the moment.

My monthly budget is for clothing and craft supplies, so I really need to be thoughtful about every purchase. So far, all I've purchased is a small order from Amuse Studio, a new pair of super-warm slippers (because my feet are always cold this time of year), and an inexpensive item from etsy. I'm not even halfway through my budget and I've got 6 days left in the month.

I'd really like to try out some other stamp companies. I've been a SU hobby demo for a while. I joined because I wanted the new foam ink pads. Well, I've got a full set of pads and reinkers. Yet I placed a huge pre-order from the new spring catalog to make my minimums last quarter, and ended up with stamps sets that I really don't even like. I promised myself I would drop as soon as I finished acquiring the new pads. So...I'm going to stop buying from SU just to remain a demonstrator, and start buying from companies that fit my style better.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

This is perfect for me this year! I'd love to join in! Here are my goals:

*Shop my own supplies first. If something is needed to complete a project, shop for just that item in a store.

*Don't be afraid to toss outdated items (or donate if still useful). My space is precious and limited, so it is high time to remove things that are just occupying valuable real estate.

*Use up some of my boxes of completed cards. Send them, gift them or donate them.

*Heavier focus on scrapbooking this year, instead of card making.

*Not totally related, but in terms of clothing shopping--focus on a flattering fit. Not buying something that is "close"...it needs to be a good fit from the start.

In saying all of this, I will own that I spent a little bit in January. I picked up some wood veneer shapes and some easy frames to use with my Cuttlebug folders. In my defense, the veneers had bicycles in them. Bicycles are my weakness and they will be put to good use. And the frames will be used to bring new life to Cuttlebug folders that are starting to feel a little "stale" to me. With coupons used, I spent less than $10.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in!

I already decided to go cash only this year (except for SU of course). It seems that when I have to part with my "precious" cash, I spend less than just swiping the debit or credit card.

I have a real designer paper fetish. I love it all! I always think I might regret it if I don't buy one more, just in case. Do I ever get into that second pack? Hardly ever, except for the nautical SU one. I need to slow down here.

I'm thinking of buying adhesives and dimensionals on my SU order. When I take a coupon to the local store to buy more, I end up seeing something that I "can't live without" and that defeats the purpose of the coupon.

Send out more cards! This doesn't really fit the thread, but I have a HUGE stash of cards. I already sent or gave out 8 cards this month. That's great for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I keep a wish list, adding and subtracting from it, I want the SU Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack but I just haven't given it top priority over other things. Top of my wish list now is the Sizzix magnetic platform and I'm waiting for Sizzix stuff to go on sale at M's or J's or when our Hobby Lobby opens and I can use a coupon. I'll get it eventually, I can wait.

I never impulse buy in the stores, I go into them with a coupon and really do buy the ONE thing I need-like adhesive. DH is thrilled at that since he's cheap and hates shopping! He's a typical guy-get in the store, buy the item and get out.

I gave my demo a very boring and small order this month-3 neutral colors of cs and 1 pack of dimensionals. I resisted any new stuff-at least for now. I made my valentine cards last week from stash supplies.

Last edited by Cartermrc; 01-29-2014 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in! I like Sue (Gregzgurl) ideas about filling in the holes where needed. I really have all the tools I need..just give me the basics and I can work wonders with them, but the things that I lack are a more diverse array of stamps. So I have been using Google Images to look for coloring pages that I can use as digital stamps. They cost nothing and there are a ton of images to pick from.
Anna Lee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I just bought a Scan N Cut, so there went my budget for this month and the next!

But I'm ready to jump on this bandwagon! I would like to reign in my craft spending this coming year. It's not that I have all that much compared to many on this forum (yes, I know, it's a handy rationalization and I confess I have used it all too often), but I feel I have a lot of stuff I have not really used/explored fully. (Let's be honest - I have stamps/dies I have not ever used, or only used one time.)

I am therefore going to endeavor to do the following:

Complete my stamp catalog, which will allow me to see which categories of stamps I actually am lacking in and might want to expand (as in, do I really need any MORE florals?). Then, limit my stamp purchases to filling in gaps.

Look at my supply stash and determine what things (EP, special papers, embellishments, etc.) have been sitting unused, and plan projects around those things.

Ask myself if a purchase will truly enhance/increase use of things I already have. If not, and especially if buying it will immediately necessitate my buying other things in order to use it (I can't be the only one this happens to), I'll rethink and resist.

Complete my die sample catalog to facilitate more use of my intricate dies.

Go through my stamps and start using stamps that have not seen use.

Buy reinkers for whatever pads I currently have none for (yes, I am that lazy, I have been known to simply buy a whole new pad instead of having a reinker on hand for the one that had dried up).

Learn to fully exploit all the capabilities of my Scan N Cut so that the expense turns out to have been more than justified.

I'm going to print this out and post it on my bulletin board in my studio. Thank you, Barbara Jay. It cleared my head to think this through and write it out.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 01-25-2014 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

1. Buy online with reasonable shipping. Shipping has to be lower than what I would pay in gas to visit a craft store.

I hate having to pay anything for shipping, but since I live 50 miles from the craft stores, it doesn't really make sense. The cost of gas would far exceed any shipping costs. Of course, what I order online are things I can't find in the craft stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

.. Buy card stock I need only when on sale, like pack for 1.99 at M's. Bought a ream of heavy white card stock, so I'm set for the next 2 years. Bought a box of 2000 envelopes last year, so I'm set for awhile.
.. Buy adhesives in bulk online to save on trips to big box store
.. No impulse buying, always take cash , buy something from dollar bin once in awhile
.. Shop my own stuff, make do with what I have
.. Save for items on wish list( SU card stock, spellbinder/sizzix dies, sizzix embossing folders, ink pads-reinkers)
.. Continue to exchange stamped images, die cut or punched pieces with pen pals( this way each of us has something " new" to play with and no need to go out an buy something.
..Stamps I don't like/use, sell or trade. Look here or ebay for wish list stamp sets
..No longer buy crafty magazines. This is going to be hard for me. Love the free stamps, but don't need them.

Last edited by STYXROCKSME; 01-25-2014 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: ....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

DH and I decided to start living by a budget this year, in all categories, not just our hobbies. I get so much money per month to spend on myself, and that needs to include crafts, clothes, music, anything that's just for me. I most likely won't be buying many clothes this year since my closet and drawers are ready to burst. I have a fairly large stamping wishlist spread out over five companies that I like to purchase from, so I've really needed to prioritize this year. This month I got a bunch of items off my "My Favorite Things" wishlist, and next month I'll order from SU because it's Saleabration. But after that, it will just depend whose new releases I like best. Other than SU, all the companies I buy from offer free shipping after a certain point, so I will be choosing to spend larger amounts one place at a time, rather than multiple orders per month. And sometimes it will depend when I need cardstock, since I only order cardstock from Gina K. and SU.

I like the idea of this thread, knowing that others are out there like me, hopefully I can stay on track. I never participated in the cold turkey thread because I knew I'd fail, but I also know that I need to be much more responsible than I've been in the past and make better choices.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #17  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

My craft spending money is what's left after the needful things (food, shelter, etc.) are taken care of so I don't consider my spending to be irresponsible, but it can certainly be considered indulgent because I may opt for the short-term payoff rather than a long-term payoff (like adding extra $$ to my mortgage payment to pay the mortgage off early).

As my age advances, I waiver back and forth on a weekly basis between "Do I have to have this now or at all' and the 'life is short, eat dessert first' philosophy.

Percentage-wise, dessert is the big winner

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 01-26-2014 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I rarely read emails promoting sales; I've unsubscribed from all but my favorite online stores
I didn't unsubscribe, but I do send all the stores' emails to spam. When I feel a desire to buy something specific from a specific store, I go and rummage through my spam folder to see if there are any coupons there I can use. I figure this way they'll keep sending me coupons or sales or specials...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I didn't unsubscribe, but I do send all the stores' emails to spam. When I feel a desire to buy something specific from a specific store, I go and rummage through my spam folder to see if there are any coupons there I can use. I figure this way they'll keep sending me coupons or sales or specials...
That's a brilliant idea...I need to do this with my favorite clothing store email coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't even looked at anything new... but I bought enough at Christmas.

I want a special set of knitting needles next and then I might save for the scan and cut.

This year I am focussing on organizing and using what I got.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

WONDERFUL idea! I've totally blown January with the Sale a bration, but I don't NEED a single thing for a year or more! I need to get back to scrapbooking - one granddaughter I haven't even done ONE for and she's 12 now! The other two each have one, but not a complete chronology. That would use up some of the TONS of paper I have. I've joined my SU demonstrator and am sending out cards on a regular basis to shut-ins, elderly, sick, old friends, etc. I've dropped a lot of companies from my email list - less temptation. Think I'll start a "bank" when I'm tempted to buy something, and then make a deposit into a special account for what I save.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 04:09 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Default Spending in 2014

I went thru all of my stack paper (I have tons). Then I picked the ones I really wanted to save. ll the rest, I will donate to our local elementary school for use in their art classes.

The teachers love getting stuff from me--I like the fact that someone else an use it.

I have so much stuff, like stamps, paper,etc. That until I use it--I won't buy anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I am going to be much more aware of what I spend and what I buy. I just starting organizing my craft room again but instead of just moving things around like I usually do I am purging this time.

I am embarrassed by the amount of stuff I have that I have never used. A lot of it was bought when I first started paper crafting and is not my style. Probably never was since most of it is still in the original package.

No more DP - I have a lifetime supply and rarely ever use it. I like what I have but all I ever do is look at it and decide to do something that does not need DP.

Thankfully I am too far away from any craft stores to do much impulse shopping anymore. Used to go to them when I visited my parents but that part of my life is no longer the way it was.

So far I have put many dollars worth of stuff into bags to be donated somewhere. Just have to find a place that will actually want it.

And I have decided that I will not buy anything until I use something that I already own even if it means changing up the way I first intended to do the project. And no more new stamps until I can say I have used everyone I have decided to keep.

And absolutely no more shopping therapy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I decided I was going to curb my spending on crafts at the first of the year by doing the following:

1. Use only scrap pieces of paper on my cards instead of grabbing for a new sheet of paper.

2. If I need any supplies, check and buy only out of the clearance items/racks.

3. Re-purpose household items as much as possible. Like buttons, ribbons, paint-chips and other stuff that can be used.

4. Try new techniques and products that I have bought over the years, and maybe only used once. Like stickles and embossing powers, that I just had to have and hardly ever use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

So desperate for a stamp set I have wanted for a year and have found 50% off... trying to decide if it is worth it to go ahead and get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
So desperate for a stamp set I have wanted for a year and have found 50% off... trying to decide if it is worth it to go ahead and get it.
YES! Buy it . Responsible spending is buying what you really want and will use, as opposed to buying just to have something new to look at and store .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I read somewhere just because you have a coupon... You do not have to go use it! That has helped me a lot! I do buy designs for my Cameo with my subscription. This prevents me from wanting to buy expensive new die cuts! Now paper is another story.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

If you still want it after waiting a year I think it is something you will use. But to be sure ask yourself how many ways could you use it. If you can come up with a few answers then it should be yours. If not pass it by. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I really need to work on using up hoarded supplies this year - we're planning a furlough at the end of the year, so that can mean less to pack away then, and also some room for new and updated supplies I purchase in the States (!!).

A good rule of thumb for purchasing new stamps (sometimes I stick to this!) is not buying anything that I couldn't use 3 different ways.

I'm interested to hear other plans! Yesterday I resisted spending $5 more to save $2. My dad would be proud -- one of his classic lines is "You can't afford to save that much!"
Dini.....absolutely loved your Dad's line...."you can't afford to save that much".....DH and I got a real belly laugh out of it!! TFS!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
I read somewhere just because you have a coupon... You do not have to go use it! .
I have a friend who always says that 40% off is still 60% on. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, I passed a test last night. I placed my Saleabration order yesterday afternoon and estimated how much I could spend with tax and shipping. Last night I got a call from my demo saying that everything looked good with my order but I was only $6 away from qualifying for another free item. It was so tempting to add to my order, but I said no. There is another freebie item I'd like along with some more sets, but I figured that I could take another look the first of March and if I still want them, I'll just place a second order.

And I'm proud of my purchase as well. I've used up several packs of SU DP the last few months, so I wanted to get some more. I chose the Saleabration one, and got three more packs off the clearance rack at less than half the regular price. Who cares if they're retired? Plus I got some deeply discounted ribbon I really like. I would have liked to have purchased more off the clearance rack, but I figure if I'm meant to have it, it will be there next month. And if not, there will certainly be something else out there calling me loudly.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Off to make my cart and see if I can afford to save that much money...

The is one definite that I know has been on my list but I will check to see if there are others... and there is another sale I need to double check...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Gee what a good topic Lots of good ideas!

For me, it isn't the money-I am good about that...it's TIME. Because I am new...I could literally spend 20 hours a day looking at tutorials, blogs..which lead to more blogs, blog hops, etc. So I have already decided that:
a) I will set aside time each week to stamp
b) I have to really limit how much I read/surf that stuff. And I get to do it at night-after life happens so to speak. Of course I will keep reading here though!

BTW-I strongly agree with the idea of a stamp catalog. Not only shows holes and overflows but keeps me from duplicating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Gee what a good topic Lots of good ideas!

For me, it isn't the money-I am good about that...it's TIME. Because I am new...I could literally spend 20 hours a day looking at tutorials, blogs..which lead to more blogs, blog hops, etc. So I have already decided that:
a) I will set aside time each week to stamp
b) I have to really limit how much I read/surf that stuff. And I get to do it at night-after life happens so to speak. Of course I will keep reading here though!

BTW-I strongly agree with the idea of a stamp catalog. Not only shows holes and overflows but keeps me from duplicating.

I have never duplicated a stamp but have done so with a die. I keep a catalogue of my stamps and a list of my dies now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
I read somewhere just because you have a coupon... You do not have to go use it!
It took me a long time to realize this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindalrdView Post
I have never duplicated a stamp but have done so with a die. I keep a catalogue of my stamps and a list of my dies now.
I love that I get an email to come back and read a response! Keeps me from being rude and not answering!

I have lists of everything now. Saved me more than once! If I am shopping online I keep the book near me to refer to and my lists on the computer open. The other thing is that I save time by having it because I often discover I do have something I need I just dont have the memory these days to remember but I am consistent-if I liked it once-I will like it again LOL

If I go to my local store I take the section of stamps with me-the whole book too heavy now to carry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Good news/bad news post: The good news - TWICE in as many weeks I had CHEAP stamps in my hand (two cute $1 sets at Joanns on one occasion, three $2 sale sets at Michaels a week later) and ended up putting them ALL back! Before I would have rationalized how cheap they were and how cute they were. The "new me" actually evaluated how much I would use each image and how I would use them. I decided that stamps I already own could stand in almost as well, and the two $1 sets were really, really cute Easter images that I would probably have never used - just looked at the cuteness periodically. I left without buying anything except the spool of thread I went in for...

The bad news: Beate is selling off all of her stamping supplies (I know...) and some of the things she's been listing have been on my wish list for some time and/or fill holes in my supplies and/or have specific projects in mind, so I've already bought two sets and she's holding two more... I'm not even looking at the dies - I have enough already and the lists make me dizzy

On another note: I spoke with one of my stampy friends earlier today. She's been doing a MASSIVE purge/overhaul/reorg of all of her stuff (previously in a spare room and most of her basement) and she has SO MUCH STUFF that she's forgotten about or purchased duplicates for or whatever, that I'm viewing her dilemma as my "cautionary tale". If there's so much that you can't even keep track of it, how on earth will you ever use it?! I have to say, though, that I'm REALLY proud of her! She has "collector" (bordering on hoarder) tendencies and she's actually letting A LOT of stuff go! Okay, I'm done now

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh yeah, I learned early on (and I said this before awhile back) that just because something was cute or pretty didn't mean I needed it or would use it. So I admire it and walk on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Yes, buy the stamp set! I wanted En Francais forever. I held off because of the price. I coveted that stamp. Finally, I broke down and bought it. I use En Francais so much I am scared I might wear it out. I notice the stamp sets I covet I use the most. If you wanted it for a year you really want it.

I am doing good with my spending. I did go to Hobby Lobby last week. I only bought a couple of items that were $1 or under. The items are used for my Resin & Filofax. I really need Resin & Filofax things. I didn't mind stashing.

I went there to make a price book on drafting supplies. I need to update my drafting supplies. I also realized since I moved away from all my craft stores I have a certain style to my art. I really rely on my drafting supplies when creating.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2014, 04:45 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I couldn't hit buy yesterday...but I think I finally have my cart were I am at peace with the choices.
Reply With Quote Likes