View Single Post
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #10419
muddy otter
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
One of the big changes was they added Taulien (female elf warrior played by Evangeline Lily of LOST). She was excellent and it added good drama -- in my view made it a better movie.

It really is worth seeing. The dragon is astounding as are the scenes in Laketown. And Gandalf is great (as usual).
I LOVED that they gave Glorfindel's role in Fellowship book to Arwen in the movie. I wish there had been more butt-kicking girl roles in the movies when I was growing up. I mean, I think I turned out pretty independent and still liked a lot of typical guy stuff like dinosaurs and whales and science anyway (and ultimately cars and rock climbing and being outside a lot) but it would have been nice to feel like a bit less of an oddball for loving all that stuff and wanting to do things for myself instead of having some guy take care of me.

I had some purist friends who were outraged by Arwen's role in the movie but I thought it was a GREAT call on Jackson and the scriptwriters' part. Interesting to read your take on it because my sister just saw the movie and HATED the Tauriel character.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!