Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Best White Cardstock

Does anyone know how I can get some white cardstock equivalent to papertreyink's in a hurry? Like which brand at Staples or wherever.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

If you have a Michaels close by. The #110 lbs. Recollections brand is wonderful. Just like Papertrey's in my experience with it. It's smooth and also I have not had any issues with it cracking when I score it. It is $12.99 for a ream and I use a 40 or 50 % off coupon. Give it a try...I be you won't be sorry.

Last edited by wanda50; 12-06-2013 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Word correction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A ream? Wow, that's cheap! I'll check out our Michaels, It's a tiny store so I'll cross my fingers that they have it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed that the Recollections is really great stuff - but make sure you are buying the ream that says 110# on it. They also still carry the 65# white, and you won't be happy with that for card bases!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I like the Georgia Pacific 110lb ream from the office department at Walmart. It is only around $5 or $6 and it is nice and smooth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you, Cheryl and Wanda! I'll check them out. I've only heard of Neenah Classic Crest Solar White but it doesn't seem to have those great prices you both quoted for your favorite papers. I'll let you all know what I get and how it works and compares. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #7  
SAH
Inking Addict

Just to clarify. The Georgia Pacific/Staples 110lb is actually 110 index weight (about 200gsm weight) The Michael's Recollection #110 and the Neenah Crest #110 are both 110lb cover weight (298gsm) - almost 50% thicker than the GP one.
Also, they do not use the term "ream" the same. The Michael's has 100 sheets in a pack, the Neenah 250 sheets. I think the GP one is 250 sheets, but I am not sure.
Both the Micheal's and Neenah are a great weight for card bases, but the GP one is too thin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Gina K's base weight is the BEST I have ever used!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

SAH - I, too, find the GP too thin for card bases. I tend to like my layers, and the GP just doesn't stand up to them. I do like it for layering, though, and for coloring images.

I also use it for making thank-you notes for my son. Being a manly man, he wants fairly simple cards without layers or tons of embellishments. The GP works ok for that. (Yes, my 26-year-old son actually sends thank you notes for gifts, and is rather picky in that he prefers to send ones that I made just for him to use.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi everyone! Yesterday, after having read this thread I headed to my local Michael store to check out their Recollection CS as discussed here. I figure I would give it a try as there was not much to lose if I could buy a ream with the 40% coupon. I bought one ream of natural/vainilla (white was sold out) and when I got home I immediately tried a sheet. OMG ladies what a surprise... this is the best CS card base, in price and quality, that I have seen or bought from a local brick and mortar store. I am definitively SOLD on this 110 lb CS, and I plan to get another ream ASAP. While Gina K luxury white is top of the line, I can certainly live with this CS to make my cards and stretch much further my dollars. Thanks Wearefromfrance for starting the thread. Every day I learn something new here at Splitcoaststampers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

PLEASE...a ream is 500 sheets! Since we are trying to help each other, let's be specific. Thanks for the head's up on Michael's Recollections 110 Lb. paper. It's not sold in a ream, it's a package. Sounds like a good deal with a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I think it really depends on what you're using it for...
I LOVE Hammermill #28lb for coloring larger images with Copics...It's nice and bright, colors blend great AND it doesnt suck up your Copic Ink!! I also use the heavier weight (80lb?) I have Neenhan Solar White #110(?) because everyone raved about it but like Hammermill MUCH MUCH better! For lil things or putting between layers, I use GP..
JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
PLEASE...a ream is 500 sheets! Since we are trying to help each other, let's be specific. Thanks for the head's up on Michael's Recollections 110 Lb. paper. It's not sold in a ream, it's a package. Sounds like a good deal with a coupon.
It's probably best just to say how many sheets are in a package in discussions. While paper reams are 500 sheets I believe that index reams are 250 sheets. To confuse matters some paper is physically about the same weight as some index even though they sound like different weights.

That was really confusing me so I did some internet searching and it appears that the weights look inconsistent because I need to pay close attention to the words index, cover and paper. If I remember correctly,each traditionally had different uses and so the "standard" page size for the type of item was different when the same number of items were weighed. That leads to the weight measurement which I found confusing. Made me feel a bit better about being confused by these different measurements! Once I read that I decided I didn't need to feel bad about my confusion. I've decided it's ok that I'm confused! I just think of paper costs per sheet and if it matters at least I'm looking at similar things in that cost comparison.

I'm now just trying to figure out which papers take ink the way I would like. I really appreciate hearing the experience that all of you folks have with the various papers. I just don't want to buy a lot of some paper or index that I end up using up as rather expensive printer paper because it didn't work the way I want. Actually even that has worked out ok because it has been great paper for my kids to use as report paper.LOL

Thanks for all the insight you folks share!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Harvestmoon and KazooMI thanks for your comments. I am a hobbyist stamper, not an expert on paper, so you have enlighten me today!

I thought I was responding to the original thread in which I understood the question to be where to buy locally some "worthy" cardstock (no other specifics mentioned). Regardless of whether a ream, a package, 50, 250, 500 sheets, whatever index, etc, etc my desire was to share/say/reaffirm earlier comments on the Michael's Recollection CS 110 being one worth the money if a person has a Michaels within their commuting area.

Without fail, every time I come to these forums I can count on learning more and more and become better at my stamping/paper hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

???? is the #110 lbs. Recollections brand also good for COPICS coloring or just strong for a base??
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry107View Post
???? is the #110 lbs. Recollections brand also good for COPICS coloring or just strong for a base??
Thanks!
I was just trying with some scribbles to blend a few colours and it didn't seem to work all that great. I will have to do better testing to give it a fair chance though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanda50View Post
If you have a Michaels close by. The #110 lbs. Recollections brand is wonderful. Just like Papertrey's in my experience with it. It's smooth and also I have not had any issues with it cracking when I score it. It is $12.99 for a ream and I use a 40 or 50 % off coupon. Give it a try...I be you won't be sorry.
Hey there.....I ran into Michael's this afternoon and picked up a pkg. of the white and a pkg. of the ivory...............used one of their 50% coupons for one and a Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon for the other, so the price for both including FL sales tax was $15.28! When I got home I opened the ivory pkg. and I love it for card bases. I've been buying the Recollections 65 lb. card for quite a while and did not realize they had the letter size 110 lb. I wish they had it in black too and that all three colors could be purchased in the 12x12 size!

Thanks for enabling me...lol!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Just bought a package of the Recollections 110 # and love it for die cutting Pop N Cuts cards! Thank you!
Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Hey all -just me, the original poster. I want to report on what I found. My local Michael's does not have 110# Recollections cardstock. The heaviest they carry in packages is 65 # weight. At Walmart I sneaked into a package of Georgia Pacific white and compared it to Stampin Up white. It looked similar but was full of splotchy fibers when you held them up to the light. It was also too thin for my card bases.
I called around and found a printer who sold me Neenah Classic Crest Solar White sheets for $ .17 each and I am very happy with the weight and quality. They made substantial cards, especially the CAS ones with one layer. They accepted both old and new SU inks well. They do remind me of Papertrey's CS, but I can't say if they are the same. It occurs to me that I may still want Stampin Up's white CS for adding layers that are not too thick and keep the weight of the finished card reasonable. Thanks for your input. December was a blur and running after cardstock added to the busies so I'm back after a successful Christmas card season to say - have a happy New Year of stamping and crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I buy that Neenah Classic Crest Solar White at Kelly Paper in my area - don't know if there are any Kelly Paper Stores in Virginia!!!!!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think all the stores carry it, they just may be out of stock and/or on a high shelf. I got both cream (on display at one Michaels) and white (up on a high shelf none on display at a separate Michaels). I found it and had a staff member retrieve it. Can't wait to play with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am going to get some too!
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

So glad I found this thread- I did get the Recollection #110 cardstock with 50% off! Sure wish I had this for my Christmas card base! Seems to be very sturdy. Haven't had time yet to try it with Copics-very interested to see how that will work. But still glad to have for a base at least!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

One thing that I've found the 110# Recollections not perfect for - when I tried cutting the SU Thinlets label die , it cut and scored fine, but the cardstock was so sturdy that it doesn't want to stay flat when it's folded together - even after burnishing the folds very thoroughly with my bone folder That particular style of card actually works better with cardstock that's a little less substantial.

(After I played with the card and folded and unfolded it a number of times, it was better - but I don't really want to have to do that every time I make a card )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Ok. Just called a manager at my Michaels and she found the Rec. 110# CS up on top of a shelf. $12.95 for 100 sheets. I'm going to try it and compare all techniques I know, except Copics. "More at eleven..."
;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

TBH I'm glad Wanda used the term ream or I would have been looking at the smaller packs. It gave me a visual reference that I was looking for a ream sized package of cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i got the recollections stuff at Michaels a couple of weeks ago and it is a great buy. I don't use heavy cardstock often and this pack will last me a couple of years. with a coupon it was such a good buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SayStampsPleaseView Post
I think it really depends on what you're using it for...
I LOVE Hammermill #28lb for coloring larger images with Copics...It's nice and bright, colors blend great AND it doesnt suck up your Copic Ink!! I also use the heavier weight (80lb?) I have Neenhan Solar White #110(?) because everyone raved about it but like Hammermill MUCH MUCH better! For lil things or putting between layers, I use GP..
JMO
Do you have the wrapper to know which Hammermill #28 paper you are using? I did an amazon search and several different paper's showed up. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wearefromfranceView Post
Hey all -just me, the original poster. I want to report on what I found. My local Michael's does not have 110# Recollections cardstock. The heaviest they carry in packages is 65 # weight. At Walmart I sneaked into a package of Georgia Pacific white and compared it to Stampin Up white. It looked similar but was full of splotchy fibers when you held them up to the light. It was also too thin for my card bases.
I called around and found a printer who sold me Neenah Classic Crest Solar White sheets for $ .17 each and I am very happy with the weight and quality. They made substantial cards, especially the CAS ones with one layer. They accepted both old and new SU inks well. They do remind me of Papertrey's CS, but I can't say if they are the same. It occurs to me that I may still want Stampin Up's white CS for adding layers that are not too thick and keep the weight of the finished card reasonable. Thanks for your input. December was a blur and running after cardstock added to the busies so I'm back after a successful Christmas card season to say - have a happy New Year of stamping and crafting!
As a replacement for SU whisper white, ask your paper supplier if they carry
Neenah in Avalanche White classic crest cover 80lb, I can not tell the difference and that is my favorite white for layers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
As a replacement for SU whisper white, ask your paper supplier if they carry
Neenah in Avalanche White classic crest cover 80lb, I can not tell the difference and that is my favorite white for layers.
I will try that. I was just going to order some from SU. I'll compare prices first. Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I'm going to look at Michaels next time I go up and find the #110 wt. Card stock to try. My favorite so far is SU but I've only used that, Georgia Pacific from walmart (150 sheets per pack), and other generic brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just got this out of the pack. Put it side by side to my Neenah 80 and couldn't tell the difference except for weight. Just going to play now as I have a couple of cards to get out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Sorry but a ream NO longer means 500 sheets! We own a print shop and how many sheets in a ream has changed. Our printer has been working here since 1977 and I asked him just to be sure. A ream of 120 lb. cover can be 125 sheets while a ream of 80 lb. cover is 250 sheets and 20 lb. text is 500 sheets. We order by the number of sheets we need for our jobs. We do call however many sheets are in the wrapper a ream but we know a ream is not always 500 sheets. When I started here in 1997 I thought a ream was 500 sheets but now it all depends on the weight of the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Recollections did fine with Copics but did pill when I used inktense pencils and a tiny a bit of water and scrubbed the color to move it. The card warped as well.

The Copics slightly bleed through so it would not be appropriate for a one layer card with copic coloring. Hope to play some more with it to see what it can and can't withstand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should know that to get the best results when coloring with Copic markers, you want to saturate the card stock with color and it should bleed through to the back. That being true, Copic markers are seldom recommended for coloring one layer cards.

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
FS465
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Depends on card thickness and finish with regard to saturation or it would bleed through their own brand. I wasn't expecting this to 1 layer with copics but just thought I would let peeps know in case that was a decider for them.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 01-17-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy LeDonneView Post
You should know that to get the best results when coloring with Copic markers, you want to saturate the card stock with color and it should bleed through to the back. That being true, Copic markers are seldom recommended for coloring one layer cards.
Finally! Someone who understands selecting the best paper for Copics. You WANT the ink to bleed through to the back. You DON'T WANT paper that will allow Copics to feather outside your stamped lines.

I just bought a pack of the Recollections 110 lb paper from Michaels, and was very surprised and pleased at the quality and thickness.

The U.S. doesn't have a consistent method for measuring the weight of paper in order to allow us to compare one brand to another. What I wish the U.S. paper manufacturers would include (and they do on the Recollections brand) is the gsm or grams per square meter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Harvest moon is right about the ream...international standards specify a ream as 500 sheets.

However, Arlene is also right. Some paper suppliers/office supply stores list paper as "125 sheet ream" or "150 sheet ream" or "250 sheet ream". They, however, are incorrect in using the word "ream"...it should be "package" or something similar.

I agree totally with Linda about using the gsm measures on paper. You can see the differences in this chart.
Attached Thumbnails
Best White Cardstock-paper-weights.jpg  
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK, I've been dithering about getting the Recollections 110 in white for weeks. If it's the same smoothness as their 65 weight (that I use for inside colored cs bases) I'm in and the 100 count would last me several years. Wish it came in a zip sealed bag so I could open it to check it out and it would then store better.
As much as I like Gina's, hers is a bit too heavy for simple card bases that don't have a ton of layers and embellishments. SU's is fabulous for stamping but way too flimsy for bases!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CartermrcView Post
OK, I've been dithering about getting the Recollections 110 in white for weeks. If it's the same smoothness as their 65 weight (that I use for inside colored cs bases) I'm in and the 100 count would last me several years. Wish it came in a zip sealed bag so I could open it to check it out and it would then store better.
As much as I like Gina's, hers is a bit too heavy for simple card bases that don't have a ton of layers and embellishments. SU's is fabulous for stamping but way too flimsy for bases!
I bought the 110 for bases only - but found it really smooth for pencils - I did a comparison of the gamsol magic technique on it Krikey Kreations: A cardstock Gamsol Magic Comparison

I don't have Gina K 's but the Recollections 110 is *thud* heavy. I put this card http://krikeykreations.blogspot.com/...-sympathy.html in a wooden receptical at the funeral visitation and it was quite an audible thud.
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes