Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mailing cards coming to an end? Thoughts?

Canada Post just announced that the price of lettermail stamps are going to rise from $0.63 to $0.85 and higher in March 2013, as well as community Post Office boxes will replace home delivery over the next 5 years....

I love paper crafting and making cards but I am finding less and less people are purchasing handmade cards on Etsy and at craft fairs and markets.
I know I receive about a third of the Christmas cards that I used to... I just wonder if sending paper craft gifts and handmade cards are going to become extinct as well over the next 5 years?

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions they want to share?
My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Tetcha, I'm really upset about this. I love making cards but with the upcoming price hike and no doubt more to come...my time for sending cards through the mail will be coming to an end.

Sadly e-cards just aren't the same. My friends and relatives have saved the birthday, anniversary, sympathy, and Christmas cards they've received from me for years. They truly treasure the time and effort put into them, however next year it will be totally cost prohibitive for this stamper! :(

Last edited by Shadow's Mom; 12-11-2013 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Very sad. In Australia it costs 60 cents for a standard card and a square card costs over $1.
I still love receiving a lovely hand written letter or handmade card, it makes someone's day
Special.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I mail out 20 or so Christmas cards-that's been a fairly consistent number for years, even when I used store bought. But those that get my handmade ones save them and tell me how much they appreciate them.

Mailing costs are going up but full fledged cell phone plans and Internet service aren't cheap either! Cell phones and the Internet are useful for many things, but they can't take the place of everything. At least I don't think so, but I've been around long before the electronic age so I'm obviously old school.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #5  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Doing a quick conversion, our national postage rate is already approx 85 Canadian cents, and equivalent to about $1.30 Canadian for international shipping.
Since I don't intend to stop making cards, I'll keep on mailing them.

I have to say that when I was posting a couple of parcels off to the US the other day and buying stamps, the person serving me was really taken aback at how much it came to. Whereas I was just happy that the parcels were a lot less than last year since I shopped/made lighter items . And I regularly buy my international stamps 30 at a time rather than having to make frequent trips to the post office to buy more, but I rarely get them in that particular post office.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to keep mailing my cards too, but I'm in the US, where it "only" costs 46 US cents (but soon the price will rise again) to mail a card. I only make rather flat cards that don't require a surcharge however. Mostly I mail cards to my sister's four kids, as often as I can (once or twice a month).

I have the cheapest possible cellphone plan that I can find (so it's not full-fledged) ($40 - $50 total including taxes and fees a month for two lines, no contract, 500 minutes, and free minutes between the two lines) and I have the slowest high-speed internet (1 mb per sec?) ($30 a month) and so the postage for all my cards are waaay cheaper than my cellphones and internet service!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I do love making cards (and other items, too.) I will continue to mail cards, but may become a little more selective about who I send them to.

For the most part, the folks I send cards to on a regular basis are friends and family who truly appreciate the time and effort it takes to make a card and put it in the mail. They mention it when they call, or email if they don't live nearby.

I even feel kind of bad about storage issues I may have inadvertently created - a daughter-in-law told me she has kept every card I've ever sent to her, and a couple of friends have said the same thing. It really warms my heart to know that what I've sent is meaningful to them. Those people will be on my card list forever! I've told them how good it makes me feel that they've kept the cards, but told them please don't feel that you have to keep them all for eternity!

Everyone gets to decide what to spend their money on, after essentials are paid for. We are retired, don't eat out much and don't travel. I have enough clothes and shoes in my closet to last me several lifetimes over.

My cardmaking and postage costs are still worth it to me in terms of the enjoyment and rewards I get from the money I spend.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

The only thing I've cut back on is swaps and outside the US mailings. I loved swaps, but don't like giving cards that I havent made, even though some I have received in the swaps were awesome. I just like to make my own. I will send a card outside the US, but packages are just too expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #9  

Our lettermail postage increase in Canada will be 34%...far more than our incomes rise. It will be interesting to see what parcel rates and international lettermail rates will be. The thought of spending 34% more for anything is just plain crazy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

It makes me sad to think that postage would be cost prohibitive, especially for a card maker. Prices would have to be astronomical for me to stop mailing cards. Although I do make way more than I send or sell.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Sad to say, but so far this DecemberI have received a fraction of the cards that I used to get in previous Christmas seasons. :( But I will continue to send cards as long as I'm able to stamp them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I certainly hope not. I think these things go in phases. Even growing up I remember our getting more cards at certain times than others. I respect that cards may not be a person's priority ATM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I do love making cards (and other items, too.) I will continue to mail cards, but may become a little more selective about who I send them to.

For the most part, the folks I send cards to on a regular basis are friends and family who truly appreciate the time and effort it takes to make a card and put it in the mail. They mention it when they call, or email if they don't live nearby.

I even feel kind of bad about storage issues I may have inadvertently created - a daughter-in-law told me she has kept every card I've ever sent to her, and a couple of friends have said the same thing. It really warms my heart to know that what I've sent is meaningful to them. Those people will be on my card list forever! I've told them how good it makes me feel that they've kept the cards, but told them please don't feel that you have to keep them all for eternity!

Everyone gets to decide what to spend their money on, after essentials are paid for. We are retired, don't eat out much and don't travel. I have enough clothes and shoes in my closet to last me several lifetimes over.

My cardmaking and postage costs are still worth it to me in terms of the enjoyment and rewards I get from the money I spend.
This could be me - except for the eating out part! But we have one grown daughter and son-in-law and no grandkids so we spend that money on us eating out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I buy my stamps by the roll, I will definitely be buying before March! It will not stop me from mailing cards though. I will miss home delivery and really think Canada Post could try other options before laying off staff, really wonder what the CEO makes, bet senior staff won't be hit with layoffs or paycuts. Definitely will not vote Conservative next election.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,169 Posts

We have never had home delivery since living in Spain and a regular letter costs €1.05, my square cards cost anything from €1.45 depending on weight, this year my DH spotted an offer at the card shop that has a postal system just to England, only €.90 so I took my cards there instead, luckily I will be delivering my specials this year so no massive postal charges to San Francisco. I will try to make them less bulky and not square next year, I think I said that last year too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I make all my mailed cards A2 size and keep them to 1 or 2 layers, etc so they only need 1 stamp. My 1 international recipient is my cousin in England at Christmas and I've never done any swaps. I buy a roll at a time of the "forever" stamps. Once in awhile I will do a fancier card but it's for one person for a one time event or occasion. For our son and family I put them all in one padded envelope like holidays, etc. where I make an extra card for our granddaughters.

I also use First Class, not Priority Mail, for small packages-it's usually cheaper. DH is a retired postal worker and still knows most of the differences between the various rates.

Last edited by Cartermrc; 12-12-2013 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sad state of affairs for us Canadians. Lots of posties retiring in next 5 yrs too let alone the layoffs! I will keep sending till they make me stop.... lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe people delight in receiving personal mail, and since it is a cardmakers job to send delight, I will continue to do my job! Sadly, the first Christmas card I received was from my auto repair shop...but included a discount card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I believe people delight in receiving personal mail, and since it is a cardmakers job to send delight, I will continue to do my job! Sadly, the first Christmas card I received was from my auto repair shop...but included a discount card!
Ha! I can relate - my first one came from my dentist! (with a friendly reminder that I am overdue for teeth cleaning. )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still maintain that 46 cents, 85 cents, whatever, is a BARGAIN. You cannot fly yourself from California to New York, or British Columbia to Ontario, for under a dollar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynkimView Post
I buy my stamps by the roll, I will definitely be buying before March! It will not stop me from mailing cards though. I will miss home delivery and really think Canada Post could try other options before laying off staff, really wonder what the CEO makes, bet senior staff won't be hit with layoffs or paycuts. Definitely will not vote Conservative next election.
I am choked that it has come to this and life as we know it will change regarding our mail. I am not voting Conservative next either. But I will still mail cards because I have always liked to acknowledge people's birthdays and getting a card in the mail is pretty wonderful I think. I just hope it doesn't stop others from mailing.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in Australia and do love to mail my cards however with International Christmas cards, I make my cards very flat as the Post Office gets picky if the envelope is even just a little bit thick and if the card has to go at the parcel rate instead of the letter rate, it is very, very expensive - and particularly to Canada for some reason :confused:. I did used to take part in RAKs/swaps/surprise cardmaking supplies with people in the USA but stopped due to the postal cost.

As I married into a large extended family, we don't buy the adults presents for birthdays and we do a Kris Kringle at Christmas time so only buy 1 Christmas present for 1 adult (but the younger kids under 21 all get a gift), so the cards that I make for Christmas and birthdays kind of double as special handmade gifts (if you know what I mean). They do cost a little more to post when I have a few layers or embellishments and don't go at our (standard) letter rate of 60cents Australian but it is usually $1.20 which I don't mind.

I have noticed in the past year how much more expensive it is to buy something from the USA - it has effectively doubled in price - so if you only want one die or embossing folder but it costs US$15 + in postage, forget it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Forgot to say on my previous post: I giggled at this too as my first card was from my local politician and the 2nd from a charity asking for another donation.

Last edited by JoBear2; 12-12-2013 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: typo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I love sending cards! It's such a RARE thing with todays technology BUT everyone must admit, getting a handmade card in the mail is a real treat! I send my cards as much as possible...I send to family, friends, BRAK, Special Requests here on SCS and donate cards to Ronald McDonald and local VA.
I just like being able to put a smile on someones face with a random card...
JMO and am thankful that I'm able to do this
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 10:46 PM   #25  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I still maintain that 46 cents, 85 cents, whatever, is a BARGAIN. You cannot fly yourself from California to New York, or British Columbia to Ontario, for under a dollar.
LOL, because that's what the woman in the post office said to me. I could fly to NJ for �80? I think not!! And most of that was national stamps. It costs us about that in gas to drive to my my sister or my brother. That's only one person, not 50 cards and then some...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I just sent two cards to the US from England for Christmas and a birthday, cost $7.70. Will have to make them lighter next year! When you weigh up (!) the cost of the materials and tools we all buy to make the cards the extra pence/cents don't really amount to that much. I will not give up sending cards, maybe just make them lighters nod/or thinner.
Ruth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Postage is a real problem, even for sending packages.

I am giving a sheet of postage stamps to my MIL as a gift this Christmas -- I'll put them in a box and wrap them up and tuck in her stocking. They also make great gifts for teachers.

They are valuable!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

It's sad to think that we have come to this! I don't think I will be changing my card mailing routine..I like to think it brings pleasure to the recipient and that is a dollars worth in my opinion. It is unfortunate that they are going to phase out mail carriers. We don't get door to door delivery but to some people (especially the seniors) enjoy the daily interaction with the postman. Sometimes it is the only person they see all day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #29  

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Postage is a real problem, even for sending packages.

I am giving a sheet of postage stamps to my MIL as a gift this Christmas -- I'll put them in a box and wrap them up and tuck in her stocking. They also make great gifts for teachers.

They are valuable!!
Great idea Joan....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Will I give up sending cards? No. I have made way to many changes due to postage over the years.

I used to do lots of swaps, they are just so much fun. I would do 6-8 swaps per month and then I realized I was spending way too much on postage. First to be eliminated were the overseas swaps then the hostess type of swap with double the postage. And then I gave them all up and just send cards now.

If I give up sending cards then I will give up making cards. Then I will be just another person who used to do paper crafts.

I will not allow Canada Post to control my life to that extent. Yeah, they can make me pay through the nose but they cannot make me quit.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love snail mail of all kinds, except bills. ;) I love to send mail and receive mail. I hope I am one of those that keep the Post Office in business for a very long time.

I keep a set budget every month for my snail mail. I have my cards I will send out or small packages. Other things I use the money for is getting a new magazine subscription or ordering something fun on Ebay and Amazon.

I love to be frugal. I also know I have expensive hobbies- Snail mail, fish aquariums, collecting dolls, video gaming. My motto is you only have one chance in life to do things you love so you better do them.

I am going to keep making cards until I can't any more or Jeff Bezo's little drone's start dropping packages on my head.

Drone article in case I confused any one- Amazon Drones: Amazon Unveils Futuristic Delivery Plan - CBS News - CBS News

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

I had to change the way I made my cards this year too. I loved putting extra dimension on them, but I wanted to make sure they stayed flat to save on postage.

I guess the Canadian postal system has the same problems as the US postal system. The price will rise from, $0.46 to $0.49 in January. But I love the idea of "forever" stamps, then I don't have to get new stamps every time the price changes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Xayide2 - Canada post had their ' forever' stamps pulled before the news hit the fan here. Do you suppose they knew something was going to happen??? hmmmmm??

Lylacfey - Loved the video. Can't help wondering about all those drones in the air and the major air traffic and what if it overshoots and drops my precious purchase in the pool? LOL Just a tad far-fetched I'm thinking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #34  

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

I still have to make cards...it's a need. So, guess I will still send them cause after all making a card, sending it for a dollar is sure worth brightening someones day to me.
I have a lot of seniors that I like to let know I am thinking about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been saying for quite a few years that Canada Post is pricing themselves right out of business. I don't use mail for anything except sending the occasional card now. Its sad because the cost of postage has also put a hamper on my card making. I don't want to pay the price so I don't make as many cards. I definitely don't send packages anymore since the postage is usually almost as much as what the gift is worth. Prime example, I bought a scrapbooking kit for niece - a pad of paper, some chipboard pieces, stickers, etc. I paid $35 for the gift and $25 to mail it to her. I made a card for a one-on-one swap and it was bulky. Because it wouldn't fit in an envelope I thought I would make a cute little box for it. Well, that meant it had to go as a parcel - $17 postage. I didn't send that one and made a different, flat card.

The majority of my gifts over the last 5 years have been gift cards sent in a flat card. I'm thinking I may even just start emailing a money transfer straight to their bank account (my bank doesn't charge me with the plan I have). I do all my banking and pay all my bills electronically as well and have for about 10 years so don't pay any postage for that.

OK, now that I've told you my life store just to say, I'm not happy with our postal costs in Canada (or the service we receive for that cost...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,169 Posts

We used to be able to buy stamps here in Spain from a machine, they took them all out of the post offices and they get very shirty if you ask to buy them as they weight everything , now we even have to pay tax when we get gifts from our son in San Francisco, we just send a cheque or money now as we begrudge paying more for postage than the gift.
My grandma thought cards were a waste of money, she used to stick a sixpence on a piece of card instead, we could buy a bag of sweets that lasted all week for that so we were quite happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

To inspire those of us who intend to keep mailing cards, here is a verbatim quote on a Christmas card I just received today from my former boss and his wife:

"Thanks for all the great cards you send us. You bring joy in all you do! Love Bonnie and Ben."

I would say that's worth at least a buck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

I've spent about six hours today working on addressing envelopes, writing in my cards, and gathering supplies to make a few dozen more cards tomorrow. Totally with the postage fees. It has been lightly snowing all day and I've enjoyed thinking about everyone as I addressed the cards. Love this time of year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, I don't mind the postage, and I love making the cards. But I hate writing in them!! I never have anything to write!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #40  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
To inspire those of us who intend to keep mailing cards, here is a verbatim quote on a Christmas card I just received today from my former boss and his wife:

"Thanks for all the great cards you send us. You bring joy in all you do! Love Bonnie and Ben."

I would say that's worth at least a buck!
I have a cousin in Australia - I don't know him at all except from my aunt here telling me about him from time to time, but I have been in touch recently as my aunt asked me to send him some photos. I sent a Christmas card too and this is part of his response:
Quote:

thank you very much indeed Sabrina [and DH] for your magical and thrilling card received today...the first and probably the only one of its type that I will ever receive/thank you Sabrina once again for your kind thought instead of the usual manufactured card.
I guess that was worth an international stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes