Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you jump back into creativity after a LONG hiatus?

Have tips?
We have had a bit of a difficult year here...well not really difficult..just A LOT going on.

First my husbands company sent him out of town to work for who knows how long, so he is gone all week and only comes home for 3 nights a week..so I have had all 4 kids by myself :O

Next, we have had some issues with my 12 yo step-son. We have had custody of my husbands oldest 2 kids for almost 5 years and the 12 yo is bi-polar and has Asperger's Syndrome..( I haven't shared any of this much IRl and certainly not on line as its private and personal really, but it helps explain the chaos of our lives this year). And well, it has had some impact on our family as a whole. I won't go into a lot of detail, but it was scary for a while and I didn't really have anyone I could/would share with. It was a pretty lonely time but we survived and I think it made us a stronger family unit.

Then we bought a house..and older home that needs work..as if right?( let us not speak of the outside work that needed to be done on 3 acres OH boy..guess what I did this summer Also , 2 weeks ago my whole family of 6 got the FLU!!!! My poor dd seemed to get it the worst..she has asthma so everything seems to flair that up. I just still feel so darned fatigued.

So all that to say I lost creativity for a while. I haven't blogged in nearly a year I think maybe..not sure to be honest.

BUT, I finished setting up what I am using for my studio atm, ( until we get the addition built on..hahahhaha, go on laugh with me). want to make something, but just not sure where to start. I tried working on a painting a couple of weeks ago and I swear everything I did to it just made it worse. I would show you, BUT I gessoed the whole thing over and now have a nice clean canvas again LOL..gesso ..the most perfect eraser ever

I was also asked to do an after-school art club at my dd's school. Had 40 kids sign up!! We split the kids into 2 groups to meet on different days..I can't tell you how much fun I have doing this. BUT..I am really not creating in there..more teaching which I enjoy but I think I would be a much better teacher if I had MY mojo back..kwim?

Anyway...if you took a long break for whatever reason, how in the world did you jump back into creating? Have any blogs that would help? ...projects or ideas? Anything really would be great.

Oh and I have missed SCS!! I am looking forward to chatting again! This is ones of the best most helpful group of ladies around..always so nice and supportive and encouraging. I sure have missed you all!!

Last edited by Inkin One; 12-02-2013 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: I can't type & spell at the same time :)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

My life did a total 180 in September when DH and I became empty nesters. The last 4 years have been total chaos with a multi-generational family crammed in our small home. Now the oldest and her family have moved out of state and the youngest is active duty Navy stationed in Norfolk. The house is so empty and quiet! It's all good but the change was so abrupt and we do miss all of them.

I just turned one of the bedrooms into a craft room over the weekend. I'm still working on it but will be finished very soon. Now that I have the time and a craft room all to myself, I plan to start participating in some of the challenges on SCS. Here's to a fresh start!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just start slow. Don't feel you've got to accomplish anything. I think I might clean my room/go through my craft supplies, see what I find that inspires me to get to work (with the bonus of having a clean space afterwards)!

Even if it's not what you normally do, maybe start off by making some cards, just because they're a small canvas to work on. You might go to the Hope You Can Cling To challenge forum and see all the challenges we had in October. You won't be able to play for prizes (that's all finished) but there are over 31 different card making challenges there, AND if you don't want to have the cards hanging around when you're finished, you can pack them up and send them out to the MD Anderson Cancer Center to replenish their supplies. (Also, each one has an associated keyword, like HYCCT1303. Just search that in the gallery and get lots of inspiration for each challenge.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I see you have a Pinterest link, you could try a search on there. Thats an easy way to lose a day or two,lol.Seriously, I've been compiling a board of 'Stamping Inspiration', which incidentally has ended up being split into about 10 other boards- it was getting out of control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, we moved a couple of times, etc and I was away from stamping for almost a year. I haven't been able to get in a stamping groove yet! Good luck. Hobbies are good for the soul.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Nothing helpful to offer except that challenges are a good jumpstart sometimes.
I just wanted to say it's lovely to see you again! I've missed you.
Make it your therapy when you need some downtime from all those real-life stresses. One of DH's best friends has two autistic kids, one severe - I know what it means for him to be able to take some total time out for himself now and then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

It's hard to be creative on demand. Lighten up on yourself and when inspiration strikes, jump on it or write down the idea and work on it later. It's OK to make stuff that isn't great, the great will come, I'm sure.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #8  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 604 Likes on 424 Posts

I agree with the others, just start small. Maybe a few cards or gift tags. It is great way to get back into it. Good for you for getting back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Thanks ladies!
Sabrina is is great to "see" you too! I have missed chatting with you too. I have been lurking for some Christmas card/tag inspiration so I think that is what I will do today..work on a few of those. I have lots of kid stuff to do after school...but I do have a few hours today that I can just play .
I like the reminder lutheran...about not everything having to be great. That is one of my downfalls for sure. I want everything to be a master piece..so I sometimes miss out of the fun of the process that I used to enjoy so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Sometimes life events can knock the wind out of our sails and drain our energy. We can't expect our mind to be overflowing with ideas while our body is too tired to function. Give yourself time to recover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe just playing with some techniques would be a help? May spark off an idea or two. I so know what you mean about perfect- so very easy to bin something just because it doesn't look like what we see in our heads. And to see a 'glaring fault' that no-one else actually notices.Good luck with re-finding Mr Mojo, and don't be hard on yourself, let him creep back into the room slowly, rather than trying to drag him in by the scruff of his neck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I admire anyone with children who has any energy left to stamp. I was always so drained by the end of the day. I find it helps to look thru the gallery when i am blocked or just not feeling inspired. I hope you find yiur mojo and theenergy to create again soon.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had several years of trauma and stress and find my muse is still easily scared away a couple of years later. I know 2 things: you won't jump back in right away, more like baby steps and you can't force it. The stuff you make when forcing it will reflect that and not be your best efforts and the stress you put on yourself forcing it will have an opposite effect. Not to mention that the less than desirable outcome of your creativity will be discouraging, I made some U G L Y stuff trying to force myself.

Don't go into it with the intent of making something, just get out you papers and stamps to play with. If you spend time only shuffling things around, it's okay! If you end up with only bits and pieces, it's okay!! Toss those into a box to be used someday. You may end up with a full box of bits before you are ready to make something to share but just think of all the quick cards you will be able to make with your box when you are ready.

Hope life has calmed down to a normal level of chaos and stays that way for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, after several years of being distracted by other hobbies, what got me back was a card swap request by a stamping co-worker (Espe). I made some mediocre cards, and when the other co-workers (who had already seen the cards made by Espe) saw my cards, they said things like "how nice! Cute!". And then I saw Espe's cards and they blew my socks off!! No wonder my other co-workers didn't gush over the cards I had made! This got my competitive edge going and I went back and REALLY put some effort into some cards - and haven't stopped making cards since!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Well I was ready to go today but I had to pick up my dd at school..she has strep. :( This poor kid can't catch a break ! we JUST has the flu!! So I spent a few hours between the Dr & pharmacy..then picking up the other 3 and dropping them off in various places and then picking them back up..LOL.. then it was dinner and homework and ...well, I'm going to bed soon HA!

So since she can't go to school tomorrow I think we will craft a bit if she feels up to it. I found a few things that inspired me a great deal..and I have been making some wish lists and that ALWAYS inspires me for some reason LOL . I was also approached by a nice lady that ones a B&B here about doing some classes at her Inn and at the rec center..nothing until after the 1st of the year and that really excited me, and my husband thought it was a great idea as well.

Anyway..I *think* things are looking a little brighter around here
Now if we just had all of our remodeling finished LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I never, ever, ever buy stamping/cardmaking magazines, but I recently dropped $15 on the special Paper Crafts issue that is out right now (I tried to use a coupon, but no go - still wanted it that badly). None of the information in it is really new, but there are 65 different techniques and examples for each technique all in one handy, portable reference. I've been VERY hit or miss (mostly miss) in the creative arena for a while, so I thought that trying my hand at whichever one caught my attention on any given day would be fun to do. I also noticed that, while indexing my stamp sets, I had ideas for some (okay, most) of them strike. I didn't have time to execute the ideas in the moment, but I did scribble some of them down for future reference, and decided that flipping through that index more often would be a good mojo kickstart. Maybe one or both of those ideas could help...?

Either way, I hope that life gets more manageable for you so that you'll have some time FOR YOU, to do whatever it is that brings you joy!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Thanks Sue. I used to love the paper crafts special edition mags, so I might pick that up this weekend. I do love to sit with a good old fashioned paper magazine. I had a bunch but got rid of them when we moved..just needed to simplify a bit in that area.

I have found some great inspiration on here the last couple of days and the mixability challenges intrigue me. I would like to join in on those I think.
Funny you mentioned getting inspired by indexing your stamps. I organized a bit yesterday after getting out my Christmas stamps and found several that I got ideas from, so maybe I just needed to put my hands on a few things LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
...maybe I just needed to put my hands on a few things LOL
That seems to be the most consistent way for me to get inspired...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

For me, I can't force it either! I 've spent many a lovely time cruising the gallery or pinterst, watching you tube demos, etc. It was fun & relaxing! For a very long time I made one or two cards per month and was perfectly happy with that small amount.

I have never done the challenges, but I know that helps many get going with creativity.

I say just hang out here and slowly ease back in and see where your desires take you.

Are there any stampin groups in your area? I have three different SU demo's classes that I attend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I'm glad you're back and feel free to open up here! So helpful to have a safe place where you can dump a little - you did and DO have a lot going on!

What about art journaling? that would be something more personal where you could get your thoughts out and also play around with different art techniques and media... just a thought.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Thanks everyone! It does feel nice to be able to "talk" to others. I have a few girl friends that I do talk to but honestly I don't want to the the friend that always unloads every time you talk to her..kwim?

Dini I did some art journaling before everything went to heck and you are right, it is kinda freeing. I hadn't thought much about it to be honest, but I think you are right..it would be a good place to play and not feel like I need to make something "show" worthy. That is part of my problem I think. I haven't done a lot so I am kinda out of practice and nothing is working..and I KNOW that art takes practice. It always seemed to come naturally to me so I think that is frustrating me more than anything right now. I do think that it is like riding a bike..and it will come back to me.

I am doing those classes at my dd's school and I know I will get inspired with all of those kids. Kids are SO darned creative and imaginative..it's hard not to catch the bug from them ya know.
Reply With Quote Likes