Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Woes of Crafting

...and working with your hands. We are out of band-aids =P I was hot gluing a stick pin behind a circular metal embellishment onto the cover of a mini album and the glue was super hot, the kind that takes a bit to stiffen and the stick pin fell onto my thumb. I dropped everything onto my desk, the pain was the worst I can remember and I do burn my finger tips with hot glue all the time. I got the stick pin in place before the glue dried and stuck it on the album quickly before anything got messed up. Then i soaked my thumb in cold water while cooking dinner...It was terrible trying to pull the glue off and I didnt notice till later I burnt my other hand just a little bit too. I now have a nice fat blister on the side of my thumb but the project is fine. Here is my list of the worst accidents I have had crafting. Nothing bad just very annoying.
1.Xacto blade slices
2.all sorts of paper cuts
3.glue gun burns (soldering iron burn)
Feel free to rant your woes and add to the list.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel your pain (literally, haha!). I was ironing some ribbon last night and burnt two of my fingers. Probably not as bad as yours, but it sure stung for a while. I think the worst was when I first started crafting and was embossing. I patted my embossing buddy all over my piece of card and blew the excess powder off - and most of it went into my eyes. I don't blow it off any more. I tap the paper on my desk to knock the powder off...

Can you imagine the cost of safety equipment for crafters just because the safety glasses would have pink and rhinestones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the hot glue thing, I tell you I thought I was dying at the time. The pain was unbelievable, ended up having to soak my finger in icy water nearly all day, the blister was huge. My other fingers even started to throb in sympathy. The only good thing to come out of this experience was my grandson was watching at the time and I was able to say to him 'See that's what happens when hot glue hits your skin'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

lol Bad for you, good lesson for him. =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I feel your pain (literally, haha!). I was ironing some ribbon last night and burnt two of my fingers. Probably not as bad as yours, but it sure stung for a while. I think the worst was when I first started crafting and was embossing. I patted my embossing buddy all over my piece of card and blew the excess powder off - and most of it went into my eyes. I don't blow it off any more. I tap the paper on my desk to knock the powder off...

Can you imagine the cost of safety equipment for crafters just because the safety glasses would have pink and rhinestones.

I dont know why but I never even thought about using safety glasses or other items when crafting. I have some in the basement with my stained glass mosaic stuff, and gloves. Oh, i forgot to add to the list getting cut on stained glass. I was soooo stupid. I have a tile that I'm making a tree on out of different colored glass and I rubbed my hand flat over the top, probably to see if the glass bits were all the same height, and I didnt even feel a sharp edge cut me till I noticed I was bleeding. Very dangerous stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Hint for burns. Zinc oxide, which is diaper rash creme! Yes, it absolutely works. If you get this stuff on early you can save yourself a lot of pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

True story...funny now, not so much then. I brought along a friend to stamp camp. It was her first experience stamping. She was looking over the trimmer (the old Fiskars one) and I said..be careful, it's sharper than you think. She said...how sharp can it be?..and ran her thumb right over the blade! Her thumb bled so much a Band-Aid wouldn't work. Had to get gauze and medical tape. This happened several years ago but we still laugh about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Burnt my fingertips years ago embossing Christmas images. Well, needless to say, I no longer hold images to emboss!.

I burnt the tips on 4 fingers of each hand.

I also cut myself changing the blade on a paper trimmer. One of those round ones you have to open up, the blade is a round disk. Yep, have not replaced that baby, it's been oh, I don't know, at least 4 years! I am so afraid to open that thingy up, just thinking of buying a new trimmer!lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

be warned my crafting injury has been known to make people nauseous........

paper cut across the eye :shock:

no long term damage but oh boy was I worried!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Ouch to all of you!

We just returned from dinner out after I was in a craft fair today. I did pack my extras up in a box and when we got home, our dog shredded through my box of cute little boxes of mini Hershey bars, nuggets, and candy canes. He's going to be a sick puppy...literally! Don't worry, he's had chocolate before and survived! Just a complete mess in the house! Ugh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I've cut the skin on my hand with scissors when fussy cutting. Worse, I've done it more than once!

I make fused glass jewelry. I was cutting a piece of glass and somehow managed to slice a divot off the knuckle of my left hand.

I once melted a fleece sweatshirt with a heat gun, while I was wearing it.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a serious glue gun, not one of those little girly no heat things. So I know your pain.

Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Brilliant tip for burns- craft or cooking related. Buy yourself an Aloe houseplant. Any burn, just pull off a leaf and tear it open. The squishy, gooey inside will take away the sting of the burn instantly, and minimise any chance of blisters/scars. Its widely used in hospital emergency rooms for minor burns- although they obviously have it sterile packaged, can you imagine the scenes,nurses running round tearing leaves off plants?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

We certainly suffer for our art! My blister is doing nicely, looks like the top of another thumb growing out of the side of my thumb but it doesnt hurt any more. We have a nice aloe plant from my mother in law, hers is so huge it is crawling out of its pot and trying to move out of state. Our plant started making little babies, we are going to have to replant them soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjl-nyView Post
True story...funny now, not so much then. I brought along a friend to stamp camp. It was her first experience stamping. She was looking over the trimmer (the old Fiskars one) and I said..be careful, it's sharper than you think. She said...how sharp can it be?..and ran her thumb right over the blade! Her thumb bled so much a Band-Aid wouldn't work. Had to get gauze and medical tape. This happened several years ago but we still laugh about it.
Holy Buckets Batman!! GEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, that one hurts like a son of a gun just reading your darned post! Oh man!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

So shortly after reading this post, I was doing punch art, snipping with my Cutterbees and OUCH, snipped a nice "V" in my pointer finger!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have to appologize. I actually laughed out load when I read that you still got your pin stuck in place before the glue dried. You're a true crafter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

One of my incidents didn't cause pain... unless you count lots of cleanup a pain. I had a glass or orange juice next to me and my cat came in the room. She likes to jump up on one of my tall cupboards and lay up out of the way. She somehow missed her mark and fell off the cabinet into my glass of juice. What a mess. She was mad about getting all juice up, I was mad because she fell into it... it took her a few days before she went into that room again. I had to take apart and clean everything as the juice bounced all over every thing... every where.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I needed a gold colored key for decoration and had only a silver one. Dipped the key in embossing powder and started to heat emboss when pain reminded me that metal transmits heat... I had the imprint of that key on my thumb and pointer finger for weeks. I now own and use a lovely long tweezer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Repetitive stress injury - making 60 Christmas cards with an embossing folder. After running it through my Big Kick that many times I had a sore elbow. Guess I am a wimp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Susieglen's post reminded me. I was cutting multiple LaRue Hearts for a card group. I was using the metal shim. The first time I put the die through, the handle spun when the force released, slamming my knuckles onto the table.

That was the day I decided to put an Ebosser on my Christmas Wish list.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a great thread! Several times as I was reading I was thinking "been there, done that". Another tip for burns - my husband usually keeps Neutrogena Hand Cream around. If you apply it soon after a burn and continue to apply it as it is absorbed, you can often avoid blistering. I guess it makes sense when you think about it. You've just burnt the skin which pulls the moisture out, so applying the moisture back with the hand cream would help the healing process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

For paper cuts, use Super glue! Honestly - what do you think they use in the emergency room instead of stitches?! Stop the pain instantly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Oh, and for heat embossing - clip or hold item with bone folder on a foil covered clip board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I might have the best (stupidest) story. I was working on a project that had taken hours and hours and days to properly color. I was ironing the lace so it laid properly, and I had to add some glue. I put the hot iron down (the little pink one) on my desk, and when I grabbed the glue bottle I pulled the iron cord and the hot, still-turned-on iron fell in my bare lap. I already had the bottle of glue upside down on the project- remember, it took hours and hours and days to make- and I didn't move a muscle, I just finished glueing on the lace, pushed it down carefully, and then calmly moved the hot iron, went into the bathroom, put a towel over my mouth, screamed long and hard, and then I admired my beautiful project. I had a blister for a month and a scar to this day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
I think I might have the best (stupidest) story. I was working on a project that had taken hours and hours and days to properly color. I was ironing the lace so it laid properly, and I had to add some glue. I put the hot iron down (the little pink one) on my desk, and when I grabbed the glue bottle I pulled the iron cord and the hot, still-turned-on iron fell in my bare lap. I already had the bottle of glue upside down on the project- remember, it took hours and hours and days to make- and I didn't move a muscle, I just finished glueing on the lace, pushed it down carefully, and then calmly moved the hot iron, went into the bathroom, put a towel over my mouth, screamed long and hard, and then I admired my beautiful project. I had a blister for a month and a scar to this day.
Wow! What crafty dedication! I totally understand not wanting to ruin a project with so much of your time invested, but OOOUUCH!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have nerve damage in neck from an injury 20 yrs ago. Well I have pissed off the nerves from going at warp speed to get 25 cards made this month. Migraines and spasms have stopped me, for awhile anyway. Dr said no crafting for at least 2 weeks. Tapping foot on ground and rolling eyes now. I shouldn't have pushed myself so hard. I keep walking by the kitchen table looking at what I should be doing. I'm suppose to limit time on laptop too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
OMG! :shock:

― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Ouch Sonia - I know how much glue from a hot glue gun burns!

I think my worst injury is (stupidly) using my paper piercer to try and gently remove a dimensional which somehow got stuck to the front of my card. As I poked the paper piercer underneath the dimensional with my right hand and as I was holding the card down with my left hand, I somehow slipped and the paper piercer went up underneath my nail bed about half way. I nearly passed out with the pain! Even thinking about it now makes my tummy feel all funny.

I am very clumsy and always cutting myself or tripping over something or walking into the door frame - I could write a book LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieglenView Post
Repetitive stress injury - making 60 Christmas cards with an embossing folder. After running it through my Big Kick that many times I had a sore elbow. Guess I am a wimp.
I had to die cut tags for 260 wedding favours! I was sore even though I split it up.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Since we are sharing stories of pain and agony, I have a dilly. This happened a year ago. I was doing some trimming using a craft knife when my cutting mat slipped along with the cardstock, thus leading to the craft knife sliding. Lots of blood and I was able to pick up a nice chunk of my finger that had been sliced out when the knife slipped. This mishap trumped all burns, abrasions, and punctures I have had in the past!!

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

For burns - good old fashioned toothpaste! Not the gel kind, the regular paste kind. I keep a tube in my kitchen drawer as well as a tube in my craft room! Like was mentioned above, use it ASAP, takes the heat out of the burn immediately and no blister! I can't tell you how many times I've ironed over my hand or fingers or stupidly pulled a very hot pan out of a very hot oven with NO HOT PADS! Even sewed across my fingertips trying to make sure the seam is in the right place. My husband says I'm a menace in the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

Don't know if this qualifies but I was in a scrapbook store and had sat on the floor to check out some rubber stamps that were for sale on a bottom shelf. When I tried to get up I lost my balance and fell. I had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance and it turned out that I had a broken right wrist and a broken left ankle. Had to have pins put in my wrist and a metal plate in my ankle. I was in a wheelchair for two months and out of work for three! People were always surprised when they found out what and where it had happened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

OMG - these are amazing boo-boos you all have. I've lucky with just a few glue gun incidents so I switched to low heat glue.

Love the tips on blisters and such.

TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This hobby can be such a headache at times...

My iron fell on my head today. It was sitting atop my 4-high filing cabinet with the cord dangling down. I was trying to close the bottom drawer of a Sterilite tower and managed to catch the cord of the iron in the drawer, causing the iron to come crashing down on me. OUCH! No blood, but do have a lump...

Last edited by Fortuosity; 11-24-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

how to avoid hot glue burns!!
i used to work where we had to use glue guns that were a lot hotter than what we crafters use and the way we avoided burns was thin cotton gloves.it keeps the glue from burning the skin.it might heat it up but it will not let a blister form.nylon will melt so dont try them
has to be cotton.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ack! Catching up on all the woes. Broken bones! Hot irons! Irons to the head! sheeesh!

This one isnt craft related but I learned something recently =P The water in this house gets very hot so we have to be careful (the shower has a safety so its ok) But i moved a pot from one side of the sink to the other side and it moved the handle to the hot side without me noticing and when i stuck my hand back in the sink my ring finger got scalded, I think it was worse due to my wedding band. The skin got a bit pink under my ring, no blisters. But it stung so I cut a piece of aloe from our plant and kept putting it on the scalded area a few times that day. About two days later my finger started itching and it looked like bug bites, or a rash. Right now its a very light looking rash cant really see it. Sooo I think im allergic to aloe =P Also I usually put neosporin on any cut right away but that is all i can do. I leave it on for a few hours then wash it off, if i use that stuff again i get a rash =P I like neospirin cuz it takes away the pain, i need something im not allergic to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #38  
Inking Addict

Years ago I did counted cross stitch. Wanted to wash the glass for a frame for the picture I had finished. Put dish soap on the glass and foolishly rubbed across it with the palm of my hand. Yup! Cut a big flap of skin on the palm. Couldn't stop the bleeding, so I called a neighbor. Had her bring a large bandaid and she drove me to the clinic where I got stitches and a tetanus shot. Most expensive picture I ever made!(Still have it hanging in the dining room to remind me to be careful!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #39  
Inking Addict

Forgot to say, I now wear rubber gloves when I wash picture glass, AND am very careful doing that, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

I too have had many mishaps, cuts, spills and burns from embossing. I now use those old fashioned wooden clothespins to hold onto whatever I'm heating. No more burned fingers! Of course, I also use Very long tweezers at times. So glad to hear no one suggesting butter for burns!
Reply With Quote Likes