Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is scary

Sit down and put a cold cloth on your head before you read this

5 & 1/2 weeks until Christmas ( 39 days ) Yikes :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

And I only have 4 Christmas cards made...

Mind you, I have got some shop-bought ones too (scandalous!!) to post abroad otherwise the postage cost would be prohibitive.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

No Christmas cards made or gifts bought. I have a birthday and Thanksgiving to get through.

Not Prepared at all!

I could use help from Santa's elf!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just tell myself that it isn't even Thanksgiving yet ;) .

I don't think of or prepare for Christmas until December 1st. Maybe not the best plan!

The other day I thought I should change my ways, and I was all ready to start some Christmas cards (and to make about 75 Christmas thank you cards for a friend of ours), but one of our cats is sick and has taken up residence under my desk. He's 14 and was diagnosed with pancreatitis and now cancer. He's on prednisone and eating again so acting pretty much himself but probably doesn't have much longer, so I just can't disturb him. I guess I'll be hauling some things out and working at the dining room table soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post

I don't think of or prepare for Christmas until December 1st. Maybe not the best plan!
Actually, that's probably a very good policy! I just need to make sure my cards for posting abroad are ready in early December.

Sorry to hear about your cat - hope he feels better soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I just tell myself that it isn't even Thanksgiving yet ;) .

The other day I thought I should change my ways, and I was all ready to start some Christmas cards (and to make about 75 Christmas thank you cards for a friend of ours), but one of our cats is sick and has taken up residence under my desk. He's 14 and was diagnosed with pancreatitis and now cancer. He's on prednisone and eating again so acting pretty much himself but probably doesn't have much longer, so I just can't disturb him. I guess I'll be hauling some things out and working at the dining room table soon!
You spoke for me, too, Nancy. I don't usually get into panic mode until after Thanksgiving.

Also, so sorry about your kitty, and you are so sweet to cater to him. We are "cat-less" currently, but have had cats all our married life. We had a wonderful Birman cat named Boris who lived to be 17. I still miss him and think about him. He was the best cat ever!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 343 Likes on 131 Posts

I feel for you, Phantom. We have a 17 year old kitty on prednisone for similar reasons. He is getting special treatment too.
When it comes to crafting, he's not a challenge. It's our year old Maine Coon, who insists on 'helping'. DH calls her my Stampin' Buddy. I have other names for her.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Awww.... thanks guys. You all are just so sweet! It's a difficult time, having had him and his littermate for so long. He was sleeping in one of his old spots today which warmed my heart.

As many of you probably know, cats are very good at disguising their pain and I went too long with my cat of 16 years (14 years ago), so I'm being very attentive to signs of distress, too.

Thanks again so very much for your kind words. Sorry to "hijack" the thread a bit. I'll segue back on track with the comment that three of our cats are all black and one is tuxedo, and it was a real joy to see our Ben up and about on the night before and on Halloween . He actually slept on/by me on the sofa for a little while. Today, it was finally nice enough out to get those Halloween lights down and pretty soon I'll put something out for Thanksgiving. . . then it's on to Christmas!

It's kind of funny how creative we can get with our procrastination, especially considering that it's not like Christmas moves around on the calendar and catches us by surprise, lol! I really admire the people that make Christmas cards all year long, but I'd still wait to address them until about December 15, I think .

>^..^
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
I feel for you, Phantom. We have a 17 year old kitty on prednisone for similar reasons. He is getting special treatment too.
When it comes to crafting, he's not a challenge. It's our year old Maine Coon, who insists on 'helping'. DH calls her my Stampin' Buddy. I have other names for her.....
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty too. I hope you have many good days with your cat and that he has a peaceful passing when it's time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 784 Likes on 320 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Sit down and put a cold cloth on your head before you read this

5 & 1/2 weeks until Christmas ( 39 days ) Yikes :shock:
Barbara I don't know if you will be proud of me or mad at me, but all 45 of my Christmas cards are made and I have bought 5 presents. Now decorating the house will be more difficult. I usually do it Thanksgiving weekend, but I'm having a crowd for turkey day this year and I'm doing a big craft show Dec 6-7. I told myself no decorating until I get all the stuff made for the fair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

The outsides of all my Christmas cards are done - about 70; I still have to stamp the insides and the "hand stamped" on the back. I start making cards in Jan. and hope each year to finish well before Thanksgiving. I still have to make a bunch of envelopes since the first batch of cards was made to fit specific envelopes I had - until I recently discovered that I'd already used all of them and they weren't a standard size!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I just need help, please pm me to remind me to take the turkey out of the freezer 4 days before Thanksgiving! ;)

Then I will work on those Christmas cards :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 343 Likes on 131 Posts

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty too. I hope you have many good days with your cat and that he has a peaceful passing when it's time.
Thank you Nancy. I appreciate that.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a grand total of ZERO made! I am finishing up my Thanksgiving cards right now. I always have to take a day off of work at crunch time to get my Christmas cards finished!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Barbara I don't know if you will be proud of me or mad at me, but all 45 of my Christmas cards are made and I have bought 5 presents. Now decorating the house will be more difficult. I usually do it Thanksgiving weekend, but I'm having a crowd for turkey day this year and I'm doing a big craft show Dec 6-7. I told myself no decorating until I get all the stuff made for the fair
Good for you! I wish I could say I had those things done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
The outsides of all my Christmas cards are done - about 70; I still have to stamp the insides and the "hand stamped" on the back. I start making cards in Jan. and hope each year to finish well before Thanksgiving. I still have to make a bunch of envelopes since the first batch of cards was made to fit specific envelopes I had - until I recently discovered that I'd already used all of them and they weren't a standard size!
You are one of those wise all-year Christmas stampers! Maybe 2014 for me ;) .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Nancy, Starting my Christmas cards in Jan. has been something I've done for the past few years. I never make more than 4 of each design so I have to start early. I start with images that need lots of coloring [pencils], next comes the cards with embossing powder; then I do cards with mostly embossing folders and little or no coloring; next come the cards with dies alone or dies with embossing folders. If I still have time and need more, I do a few with only patterned paper and embellishments. Doing it this way gives me lots of time to make all the other holiday cards:Valentine's, Easter, Halloween & Thanksgiving. I also keep a good stash of birthdays, anniversary, get well, sympathy, or generic cards that I make during the year and customize as needed.

I have psoriatic arthritis, an autho-immune disorder, as well as osteo-arthritis and don't handle stress well so making these cards year round helps me cope better. Try it, I find it fun to work on Christmas cards all year long!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I will try it, Diane! Really.

You are my cardmaking heroine. I'm impressed. When I started cardmaking, I really though that's what I would do - have cards on hand, make them ahead of time, and be a card-sending whiz. Lately, I completely forget to send cards altogether and that is just silly.

I really like your system of making different types of cards in a progression like that. I will definitely keep your example in mind - I need to get this process organized .

Thank you so much for the inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a lot of my shopping done but haven't started thinking about cards yet. I do the majority of my shopping every year on President's Day & then keep adding to the stash throughout the year. It is always fun to pull it all out in late nov or early dec & see what's been hiding under the bed! My kids get 3 presents each books, clothes, and one big present. The kids draw names so they only get one present from a sibling, with six kids it was just too much to have everyone giving all the kids something..took us days to open all those presents!

Last edited by mamaxsix; 11-17-2013 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: touch screen :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I mailed a gift to my Australian friend Oct 20th or 21th. Mail gets so slow going over there. Sometimes 8-10 weeks to reach her. I've been on mad dash to get Christmas cards done so I can sell in town. Then a few people placed orders. By the way I've never sold my cards. Sorry to hear about your kitty. Had to let my 2 Siamese go in 2011( they passed 10 months apart), miss them everyday.

Tara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I have a lot of my shopping done but haven't started thinking about cards yet. I do the majority of my shopping every year on President's Day & then keep adding to the stash throughout the year. It is always fun to pull it all out in late nov or early dec & see what's been hiding under the bed! My kids get 3 presents each books, clothes, and one big present. The kids draw names so they only get one present from a sibling, with six kids it was just too much to have everyone giving all the kids something..took us days to open all those presents!
This makes much sense, mamaxsix. My daughter has you beat by one right now, she is mamma of 7 (and #8 due next March!)

This year she is using this verse as a guide for Christmas for the kids:

Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to wear,
And something to read.

The kids are all on board with it, and it will make for a calmer Christmas for all!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that the year speeds up once November 1st comes around! I have made more cards this year because I have been playing the SCS Fan Club Christmas challenges so I feel a bit more organised but still have lots of cards to make. I can never make enough no matter how many I make! Every year I tell myself to stamp the sentiment inside the card after I have finished the card front - and then I forget and do them in a batch lot which is when I stamp the sentiment crooked or smudge it or even stamp it upside down! Sure makes me cranky!

Sending {{hugs}} to you Phantom about your cat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I have my prototype cards made but that's it but I'll have them done by Dec 1st as I kept them simple.

Gift buying is going to be really easy. Last year we discussed how we're all at a point where the things we want or need are too expensive to add to the Christmas wish list so this year I'm buying just a couple of small items to unwrap and the rest will the money I usually spend. That allows the recipient to combine all their Christmas $$ to buy the big gift. For the Grandkids it's martial-art lessons and a couple of small items. They love the lessons and it really helps their Mom and Dad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No one around here is allowed to think about Christmas or even Thanksgiving until they have properly celebrated my birthday. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I have almost all of the 40 cards I make each year done. My goal is to be addressing them T-giving evening. I've never done that before but this year I am having to travel a lot in December so if cards were being made I had to jump on it early.
I usually take my time in Dec. and bake about 4 or 5 batches of different cookies but that's out so I am hoping to find the willpower to bake over this next two weeks and freeze everything.
Reply With Quote Likes