Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cricut advice please

My Big Shot is my primary cutting machine which I use with Spellbinders and Sizzix dies, but I was thinking of getting a Cricut. I would love to hear what folks use their Cricuts for and which one they would recommend. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a Cricut and a Silhouette Cameo. If I were you....I would give a serious look at the Cameo. It is a wonderfully made machine that cuts very well. Good luck in your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Cricut expression 2 and a Cricut Create. My DGrands use the Create and I use the Expression 2. I love mine, although there is a learning curve.

The Mini is purely online and must be used with a "puter.

You have to buy cartridges from stores or cartridges from the cricut to which can be online carts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I wouldn't get a Cricut - I have one that I never could get the hang of. Bought a Gypsy, took a couple of classes and still just never clicked with it. I ended up buying a Silhouette and like it much better. If you decide on that as an option, let me know, I have a barely used on I can make you a deal on ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a cricut. Love it. I've had problems trying to use craft room with it but no luck. Get the Cameo Silhouette.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Sizzix eClips Love mine!! You can use carts or a special version of the Sure Cuts A Lot software and cut anything from your computer (SVG files, fonts, etc.).
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to go with the Cricut, I would get it off Ebay if you can. I paid $25 for my Expression that was listed by a power seller that sells "broken" machines. Thankfully my husband fixes electronics so I took a chance and got one...the only thing broken about it was that the cartridge had been installed incorrectly. If you have time, really check out the auctions, there is a lot out there if you have time to weed through them If you don't have time and must pay retail, I would go with a different machine entirely
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a cricut and don't use it much. Would I be more inspired with a Silhouette? My brother has one and LOVES it. It's the price tag that gets me - any suggestions there?

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I would say get a Cameo. Yes the price is a bit higher, but you are not having to buy all those carts and then having to store them somewhere. With the Cameo you can purchase a single image that you need. I have a subscription that with a promo is $8 a month and I get $25 in store credit. I have had it for 2 months and have not used up each by the last few days of the month so then I go shopping off my wish list. I'll probably do it for a few more months and then just purchase as I need them. Between all the free SVG files out there and the other sites that sell them, I have quite the stash
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I agree with jamiemn. I have a cricut. I don't use it much. I am always frustrated by the cool things I see people w/ silhouettes cutting out. It seems like you can buy cut files from just about any source and designer. With Cricut, you have to buy their specific cartridges and images. While many are cute, I feel constrained. Also, I haven't been able to edit very much the Cricut Craftroom computer program. I spent a long time trying to figure out how to put a half circle in a tree cut so it would have a little peek window to see a bird in the tree. I couldn't do it. Maybe there was a way, but I couldn't find one.

Also, some stamp companies offer cut files to go with the stamp set, but they won't work on a cricut. =(

Well that's my two cents. For what I like to do with paper crafts, I wish I had a silhouette, but I do really like a few of the cricut cartridges I have. I wish there was a machine that gave you the freedom of the silhouette, but let you cut your cricut cartridges too. Good luck deciding!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

We have a Cricut Expression that we have not updated and can still use our SCAL with it. We also have Design Studio. One of my daughters is a whiz with SCAL and can cut just about anything she wants. I end up trying to use the Design Studio with the Cricut and I can do some of what I want, but it usually takes a lot of time and even more frustration. Yesterday I wanted to cut a simple fence. I have two cartridges with fences on them, but I could not adjust them to make them what I wanted. I spent hours and hours last winter trying to figure out how to size the envelope cuts so I could make the size envelope that I wanted. I finally gave up and bought a WRMK envelope board. Cricut simply does not allow you to create what you want, and if you can figure it out, it will not have been an easy process. If I could do it all over again, I would never purchase a Cricut. The Cameo looks great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both a Cricut and Silhouette. Wish I would've learned about the Silhouette prior to my purchase of the cricut. Both machines are great - but the advantage of the Silhouette is the ability to purchase just 1 design for 99 cents (or less if subscription or on sale) vs the expensive cricut cartridges. Also, I have software that I can trace, convert files for free with Silhouette. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Save your pennies and get a Silhouette, you'll happier in the long run

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I can only comment on one of them, the Cricut E2, since that's what I have! I love mine, but then, I prefer not to hunt out other files on the internet. I buy cartridges I think I will use, and now have the Craft Room to expand my design capabilities and buy individual images I may want, without having to purchase the entire cartridge. This works for me, and I have found Provo Craft Customer Support to be most helpful whenever I have had a question. I enjoy using the many features of the Craft Room with my cartridges and find those design capabilities more than enough to challenge me.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchase the Cricut Create almost 6-7 years ago on Black Friday and I think I've used it 5 times. I can't seem to get the hang of it. I recently bought a Big Kick and use that and my hand punches much more. I think the Cricut is great and I have about 20 cartridges, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

I think it's important to have a place where it stays plugged in and easily usable. That's part of my problem...have to set it up every time just to cut a single item. That makes the Big Kick easier for me. I think it's a great machine and I'm at fault. I have a friend that has more than one and has been trying to sell for a long time. Only because she doesn't need them all. I can put you in touch with her if you want to PM me.

mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have owned (and sold) 2 Cricuts: didn't like the first one, never used the second one.

I treated myself last Christmas to a Silhouette Cameo, and LOVE it. I also bought an annual subscription, which was on sale, and by paying for the year up front, was reduced even more. In my opinion, there is no comparison between these 2 machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did the Cricut thing, but I just got a Silhouette Cameo. I would recommend skipping the Cricut and going straight to the Cameo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm going to echo what others having been saying and suggest a Silhouette Cameo.

I've had my Cricut for years and have only used it a handful of times because I couldn't get the results I wanted out of it. I have a Cricut Create and have had nothing but trouble with it. I had to send it back to Provocraft THREE times in the first few months of owning it to get a machine that functioned properly and would work with Cricut Craftroom.

Four months ago I decided to take the plunge and purchase a Silhouette Cameo. It has been the best papercrafting purchase I have made so far. I bought mine from one of the shopping networks because I got a lot of bang for my buck, I could break up the payment, and I knew that I could return it if it was a dud. But let me tell you, I was not disappointed at all.

You'll have to let us know what you end up with and how you're liking it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Another vote against the Cricut.

If you like the idea of cartridges for quick & easy cutting, get a Sizzix eClips. It's a fantastic cutter that allows you to use (Sizzix brand) carts AND uses a wonderful OPEN design program that lets you cut the fonts installed on your computer, cut all the common cutfiles you find/buy on the web, and design cutfiles of your own. It has more cutting force than the other cutters in its price range, including the Cameo (700gms vs 210gms). You have the choice of cartridges or open designing with the eClips.

(Note: When reading reviews, some will say that the eClips doesn't allow open designing, using the fonts on your computer, etc. because the design software that allows for that costs extra. Some charts don't even list that eCAL is available for the eClips; they say "NO" or "handheld device" in the software column, which is a real disservice to the eClips! If you buy the eCAL software, you're good to go. eCAL is a version of SCAL made specifically for the eClips.)

I have both a Cricut Expression and an eClips and the eClips wins in every department, hands down. Better machine, better software, and MUCH better customer service.

I also like KNK cutters. I have an older 13" and the 24" KNKMaxx and they're both fantastic.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 10-09-2013 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes