Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart Newbie Help

Im new to stamping. I mean really new. I have no stamps. I need a little advice. I have not purchased any supplies to start creating or stamping, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should purchase first, besides paper. I wish there were beginner kits for new stampers that include everything a new stamper need to get started.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

First, welcome to SCS. There are a lot of friendly and talented folks here. There was a thread a few days back about what someone new to cardmaking should have. Here is a link. You will find some suggestions that might be helpful:

JUST STARTING OUT by Hartvillestamper at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
First, welcome to SCS. There are a lot of friendly and talented folks here. There was a thread a few days back about what someone new to cardmaking should have. Here is a link. You will find some suggestions that might be helpful:

JUST STARTING OUT by Hartvillestamper at Splitcoaststampers
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Here are a few suggestions to get started:

1. A paper cutter
2. Mono adhesive -- used to glue your layers together
3. Stamp cleaning pad and cleaner (although you can make your own cleaner). There are DIY cleaner recipes around)
4. Ink pads (and possibly some reinkers depending on the size of pads you purchase
5. Envelopes
6. Stamps!

This is a pretty basic list that would get you started.

You can find a lot of stamp sets, ink pads and lots of other goodies at great prices over on the Buy/Sell board if you don't mind used. Here is the link

How much do you wish to invest to get started?

Last edited by Susan_Stasel; 08-07-2013 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say I went about it the wrong way, so learn from my mistakes. I went to a Stampin' Up party and loved it, but decided I could look for cheaper options at my local craft stores. So I bought some cheap stuff that I liked or that was on sale, and played around with it. But nothing matched, I found myself buying oddball stamps because they were on sale or buying a lot of happy birthday sentiments and no sympathy/wedding/etc., and wasn't happy with a lot of the cardstock/papers I bought.

So in addition to the tips/list mentioned above, I'd suggest you get a sentiment set or two with a variety of versatile sayings to use on most basic cards, and then some versatile images (like Stampin' Up's Lovely as a Tree or any pretty flower stamps), which you can use with different ink colors to be a birthday, wedding, sympathy, or general thinking of you card by switching up the words. Had I just bought some stuff at that initial party, I would have saved a lot of money on buying things just because it was cheap or I thought i needed it (and now I have a lot of cardstock that isn't high quality, cheap clear stamps that don't ink well, and some ink pads that don't match any paper!). Better to spend a little more for quality and stuff you'll really use than to just hit the sales thinking you need it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to SCS

I think this is fantastic advice from Makalah. I, too, did what Makalah did and wasted money on stuff that was cheap - and especially cheap stamps that didn't stamp very well along with cheap quality cardstock, both of which frustrated me no end!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Thank you both so much! I went to Michaels today feeling a little overwhelmed on what to purchase. One of the threads suggested that someone new to card making should purchase one of the kits from stamping up. I checked out the kits tonight and thought this is perfect. They come with a couple stamps, ink, card stock and few embellishments. I think that's what I'm going to do.

PS I love both of your blogs and your work is amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

When I started I bought just what I needed to make my first card to see if I would like card making.
I bought pattern paper and matching card stock and ink pad from Stampin Up
I bought a paper cutter , adhesive and a rubber stamp image and a stamp sentiment from some where . I bought the ribbon, embellishments and a pack of envelopes after I finished the basic card. It took a while to do it that way but I didn't buy a lot of stuff until I could see I liked making cards . That was 5 years ago and now I have a mini store of card supplies and equipment :lol: .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go slowly - take some pauses between the shopping to figure out what it is you like about stamping/card making. This will also help you to save money. If you find that you like to colour with water-based markers or Copics or brushes and inkpads (etc) then go ahead and buy outline stamps for example. If you find early on that you don't really enjoy colouring, stick to the more solid stamps. If you find that you prefer a clean and simple style, then you can refrain from buying lots of "busy" embellishments for example. If you find that you are mailing the majority of your cards instead of giving them to the recipient in person, you might want to buy, say, a button die or punch (for flatter paper faux-buttons) instead of actual buttons which would be harder to mail. And a ton of similar instances like this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #10  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

The suggestions here are great! But one more that I would add - don't get caught up into what is trendy and think you have to have it. Really think basic in the beginning. My mistake was (and sadly it's still something I fight myself about even now years later) is seeing a card someone made or hearing about a product someone liked and thinking "I HAVE TO HAVE IT"...then buying it and realizing that I didn't like it at all. One way you can learn what you like without buying a bunch of stuff you may not like in the end is to go to crops or find some stamping friends to get with - that way you can all use each others "stuff" and see what you like and don't like. I completely agree with what everyone is saying about quality rather than quantity and/or sales. The nice thing about cardstock though is that if you do wind up buying a package and it's not good weight for a base, you can always use it to layer. One thing you could do is print some free digis to play with - see what kind of coloring you liked, what kind of images you like, etc. Just a thought. The big thing is though to enjoy and just face the fact early on: this "hobby" is really an addiction! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love these suggestions!

I agree with everyone, start SLOWLY. I too made the mistake of buying anything and everything and it took me a while to realize how much money I had wasted on things I actually wouldn't use. It's very time consuming to go through all that stuff and figure out how to get rid of it without just throwing everything away (I am a recycle freak lol).

My top must haves would be:
1. A good paper trimmer (I personally LOVE the guillotine style trimmers better than the kind with the little blade that you swipe back and forth over your paper).
2. Glue! I love Glue Dots & Adtech Tape Runners -much easier than liquid glues.
3. Stamp Blocks -pick out a few different sizes because stamp sizes are so varied.
4. GOOD cardstock - I stress GOOD because the kind you get in the big box stores in the big packs isn't usually as good (it's kind of flimsy and some of it doesn't stamp really nicely).
5. Stamps - again quality is key here too. Some of the clear stamps in the big box stores aren't photopolymer, they are acrylic. They don't stamp as crisply generally.

Gosh, I could go on about this kind of stuff forever. Maybe I should make a few videos about starting out. You've got a very good question!

My advice for finding out what you like is browsing blogs, galleries, Pinterest, or youtube and you will see things that you just know you are going to love using. Don't just stick with one company out there, look at lots of companies. You will figure out what your personal crafting style is and it will help narrow down your list of wants

Welcome to the club! This hobby is a real addiction for some of us, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescrapmasterView Post
Love these suggestions!

I agree with everyone, start SLOWLY. I too made the mistake of buying anything and everything and it took me a while to realize how much money I had wasted on things I actually wouldn't use. It's very time consuming to go through all that stuff and figure out how to get rid of it without just throwing everything away (I am a recycle freak lol).

My top must haves would be:
1. A good paper trimmer (I personally LOVE the guillotine style trimmers better than the kind with the little blade that you swipe back and forth over your paper).
2. Glue! I love Glue Dots & Adtech Tape Runners -much easier than liquid glues.
3. Stamp Blocks -pick out a few different sizes because stamp sizes are so varied.
4. GOOD cardstock - I stress GOOD because the kind you get in the big box stores in the big packs isn't usually as good (it's kind of flimsy and some of it doesn't stamp really nicely).
5. Stamps - again quality is key here too. Some of the clear stamps in the big box stores aren't photopolymer, they are acrylic. They don't stamp as crisply generally.

Gosh, I could go on about this kind of stuff forever. Maybe I should make a few videos about starting out. You've got a very good question!

My advice for finding out what you like is browsing blogs, galleries, Pinterest, or youtube and you will see things that you just know you are going to love using. Don't just stick with one company out there, look at lots of companies. You will figure out what your personal crafting style is and it will help narrow down your list of wants

Welcome to the club! This hobby is a real addiction for some of us, lol!
The video idea is a good one. You could probably do a entire beginners series. I would watch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Thanks everyone. I don't feel so overwhelmed anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could also buy some card kit's. This way if you don't like card making you won't be out a lot of money.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Thanks Nancy. I see stampin up has cards kits that include precut card stock, ink and stamp. I like that. Does anyone know of any other companies like stmpn up that include everything?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper InviteView Post
Thanks Nancy. I see stampin up has cards kits that include precut card stock, ink and stamp. I like that. Does anyone know of any other companies like stmpn up that include everything?

Personally I don't know any other company that does this. I know you can purchase Card kit's..............But they don't have ink and stamps or ribbon in them.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Great suggestions from everyone here. Someone suggested Pinterest- that is a great place to find inspiration. As are the galleries. Also the galleries on stamp company sites. One thing I would add, when you see something you like, ask yourself do you just love the look of it, or will you be able to use it a lot! Apart from sentiment stamps, of course, which are specific, images/embossing folders/papers/dies- will you get your moneys worth from them? We all do it- see something, love it, buy it- sometimes then it sits waiting for a long time before we find a project we can use it on. I have stamps that I adored, had to have, and the only ink they've seen yet is when I stamped them up for my index folder! Shameful, I know. For die cut shapes, try e-bay- many people on there sell die-cuts from all the major dies, Sizzix, Nesties etc. A good way to get them, without having to purchase every die on the market. Its also a great place to get stamps from, new & used. Just check out the price if you bought it new from a store, and don't bid over that, including any shipping!
My basic must-haves would be:
Scalpel (replacement blades are way cheaper then branded 'craft' knives)
Steel edged Ruler
folding/scoring board
Good paper trimmer
Tapegun/double sided tape
Glossy accents/silicone glue for dimensional embellishments
Ribbon/acrylic jewels- e-bay is a good source for that too
A black ink- Archival/Memento/ Versafine
A Heat gun- the Heat it tool is fast & quiet- an important consideration!
Fine pointed scissors
For some things, think and look, outside the box-
A 'stamp scrubber' for cleaning stamps on? Try your dollar stores for a paint pad.
Same place to look for heat proof craft sheet- I found heat proof baking mats in our Pound stores.Exactly the same.
An old wooden chopping board makes a great surface for heat embossing on.
Baby wipes for cleaning stamps, and a face towel for drying them on.

With stamp sets, be critical. Will you use at least 90% of the stamps included? If not, its not a good buy.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 08-10-2013 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome paper invite!
I would love to share sime goodies with you. Just provide yoyr full name and address via pm. I expect nothing in return but have such a huge personal stash that I love to help newbies!
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #19  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

I've never dealt with Company, but they do offer an stamping kit every month. You can look at the link and see what they have to offer, and whether it is for you. It looks to me like you might need your own paper cutter , and perhaps colouring medium - like markers or whatever - but I think they are a member company here on Split Coast, so you could ask them more about their kits.

*Simon Says Stamp Card Kit of the Month 2013 SUBSCRIPTION

Just a thought for you have a look at. Stampin Up definitely does offer precut card stock and all that you need for a card in their monthly kits. But just another idea to throw out there.Best of luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Do you know a demonstrator who is with Stampin' Up? Their kit to join is a very good deal; for $99.00 you get something like $150.00 in product, and you can completely choose whatever products you want! And there is no obligation to actually do workshops, start a business, or anything. I've been a hobby demo for years because I like to keep getting my discount, but my upline has had numerous people buy the kit who use to build their supplies and then drop - no penalties to doing that. I would urge you to look into buying the Stampin' Up starter kit; it really is a good deal. And since it's totally customizable now, you can pick whatever you want - paper trimmer, paper, stamp pads, ribbons, stamps, etc. Hope you enjoy stamping as much as I do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everyone who said to invest in a really good set of sentiments. I would like to add a few additional points.
*Don't buy cheap stamps. They will yellow with age, get sticky, and generally disappoint. Stampin' Up might seem expensive now, but when they still cling to the blocks and give a sharp image in 5 years, you'll be really glad you spent the xtra money.
*Larger sets with lots of sentiments or several images seem expensive at the time, but you can use that larger set so many ways it will really pay for itself. Plus you don't duplicate or have trouble storing just one set.
*Don't be afraid to mask off your stamps so a tree becomes a branch or a swirl looks like a question mark, etc. Really look at your stamps- can you flip that heart and make a flower?
*Watch for special yard sales at your LSS. I probably bought 3/4 of my collection at yard sales. Also, figure out early if you are a cling stamper or a wood mount stamper. It will help you store- and USE- your stamps if you don't have to dig around in several different storage units.
*Keep a record of your stamps right from the beginning. Stamp each new one in a book, or take pictures and keep on your phone, whatever works for you. But buying the same thing 3 times is a major bummer.
Finally, and I think this is the biggest point for a new stamper- go SLOW. Until you figure out your own style, be careful what you buy. (ex:I f you like to color, look for stamps you can color in) I wasted a ton of money buying haphazardly, with no understanding of what I would really USE. Now I have a lot of scenic stamps, a lot of graphic stamps for collage, etc. It just sits in the drawer.

Here are some wonderful magazines you can look for:
Rubberstamp Madness
Stampers Sampler
Take Ten
Scrap & Stamp Arts
vampstampnews.com (internet only)
Craft Stamper (UK)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

All good advice. One thing you really, really need is a paper cutter though. I have a few different ones. I have a smallish guillotine style one and a larger Fiscars. I use both and like both for different reasons.
Stamp kits are ok to start with if you are just going but eventually you will want other things. IF you don't like any stamp kit you see, find stamps you like and get some white cardstock, a paper cutter and ink. Decide if you like to color. If so you will need something to color with. AND there are so many options from expensive Copic markers to using dye ink pads and picking up color from them.
Many places are now offering matching cardstock and inks. Gina K and Stamps of Life are a couple I know of off hand. You can cut your own cards, an 8 1/2 X 11 cardstock gives you 2 card bases. But you probably will want colors for layering.
Use coupons at Hobby Hobby and Michaels to get a paper cutter and some kind of adhesive. I personally love the ATG tape runner, expensive but in the long run cheaper. Right now get some type of tape runner like Mono adhesive using a coupon. Do you like ribbons and such? Might want to buy some generic ribbon like black checked. I'd suggest going to Gina K Stamp TV site: http://stamptv.ning.com/ she has tons of videos. See what you style is then go from there. Don't fall into trends now. Just do basics. I'd start with a black memento pad - you can get at big box store. It's basic. Mementos seem to be the pad of choice right now and I do like them best. The stamps from the stores aren't really a bad investment now as they are getting better quality and let's all face it, how many of us are still using the first stamps we got? Use your computer printer to generate the insides of cards. Play around with settings using plain paper and figure out how to get it where you want. There is a thread on SCS that has insides of cards for just about everything in an excel spreadsheet. You can save money on that.

Look through the gallery here, find stamps you like and note the makers. Start shopping there. But I'd stick with less detail right now, watch to see how much coloring and shading there is. Many times we are drawn to something because it is colored so nice.
Start with Clean and Simple cards. You can add things later as you accumulate things...and you will.

Have fun, ask questions.
WARNING: Stamping is addictive and dangerous to your wallet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Great advice here! As always the SCS comes to the rescue lol. I would agree with everything stated above, and chime in that quality supplies are a must or you will get frustrated.

I also suggest buying rubber only stamps with the clear blocks, you get far more for your money and they are easier to store. And since you are starting out make sure to start a catalog of what you have, especially your stamps. Waiting to do a catalog after you have lots of stamps is a huge job.

Make sure you also buy the reinkers for your stamp pads, you do not want to,have to replace the pad when it gets dry.

You also can never have enough white, cream and black card stock on hand. In addition when you are trying out new stamps stamp on computer paper so you do not waste your card stock.

If I were starting over from scratch I would make sure to have a tape gun, it will save you tons of money!

Do not overspend on embellishments (I could send you a case of brads and eyelets that sit unused, as well as baskets of flowers). Try a few and see what you like.

Remember too that as you stamp your style will change, I have tried so many things and now prefer the clean and simple style of stamping, scenic stamping and stamping with the tapestry stamps (small stamps that you can use together for various effects).

Clear embossing powder and a versus ark pad and pen are a must, or any clear embossing ink.

Learn the difference between types of stamp pads as well ( dye based, pigment, chalk, distress, and so on)

Do not forget your glitter! I love the extra fine types, or the ultra fine. Use a glue pen to adhere (I usually use two way glue which is still sticky when it dries, apply the glitter with your finger to the dry sticky glue and it will stick, far less messy.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I would look at the different Stamp Stores out there! Look for images THAT YOU LIKE/LOVE! You'll PROBABLY DISCOVER what your style is later, but look at the DIFFERENT STYLES of cards out there too, like on blogs..., this will help. There is MUCH TO SEE! Buying the stamps you like/love, you'll most ALWAYS be happy with what you've chosen! AND seeing what type of cards you would like to make, will help you choose what kind of INKS you need too, which will lead to what kind of cleaners... I'd also buy PRODUCTS of QUALITY or later you'll be replacing them, with those products you WISH YOU'D GOTTEN! DON'T BUY A PRODUCT FRESH ON THE MARKET! Wait & see what the negatives/positives are! SCS is a GREAT PLACE to LISTEN & see what the negatives & positives of products are! HAVE FUN SHOPPING & DISCOVERING!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Something else, TAKE YOUR TIME IN BUYING!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Paper Wishes. They are outside the traditional manufacturers that we always talk about, and it's a shame. They have fantastic how-to videos on their web site, LOTS of them, and they have a great price point with lots of kits. Check out their blog, gallery, and webisodes.

Scrapbooking supplies from PaperWishes.com | Free Catalog | Scrapbook supplies | Scrapbook paper | Scrapbooking paper | Discount scrapbook supplies | Paperwishes Scrabooking Supplies | Paper Wishes Scrapbook Supplies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Welcome!
Lots of great suggestions.
I would HIGHLY recommend starting from the "get-go" (or at least understanding the value in)

Choosing a company where the cardstock, patterned paper (aka designer series paper-DSP) ink pads, ink refills, ribbon, buttons and other embellishments all match up!

This will save you a ton of frustration. (and money in the long run)

There are several companies that offer this...
Stampin' UP
Close To My Heart (CTMH)
Gina K Designs
My Favorite Things (MFT)
are a few off the top of my head.

Please note that you will not finds these in any local retail store and you are only able to purchase either on their direct website or through a distributor. Many of these will offer a "sampler pack of paper" small cube size ink pads etc. for you to try out. That would be a good start.

The heaviest and thickest cardstock that I have ever used is Gina K. Designs. Followed by Papertrey Ink, then closely by Stampin' UP! (As far as weight and thickness goes.)
Papertrey Ink. (PTI)
There are several other but I just have not personally tried them yet.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Blessings,
Valerie

Oh yes, one more thing...The biggest lie I was ever told is, "You can make your own card for cheaper than a Hallmark!"

I think each of my cards cost me nearly $25,000!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Default Stamping Necessities

You've received a lot of very sound advice here. I would like to add two more companies that I think are great..... Papertrey Ink and Stamps of Life by Stephanie Barnhardt(spelling?)

FYI, even with some of the $1.00 stamps from some of the box stores, you can still get some good images just by making sure you're using a very good ink pad and that you have some kind of cushioning under the project so you get better impressions. It doesn't have to be expensive, I use the inserts that come with Close To M y Heart stamps or even just a piece of "fun foam". You'll be amazed by the difference in your stamping quality even with cheapie stamps. Sometimes you just "want" that particular image.

Good luck, I know this can be a Very intimidating hobby, but it is SOOOOO rewarding when you give a hand stamped card and the receiver says, "You made that?, No way!" and you can say "Yes, I did, just for you!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Also, someone else suggested getting a group of friends together and share, etc...that is a Wonderful idea, then you can try each others things and really see how it's used and if you would use it. Besides it's a great excuse to get away from it all and spend time with some new friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Fabulous suggestions and advice!!! Like many, I too learned the lesson of buying "cheap" stuff. The quality of stamps and supplies make a HUGE difference.

I adore this hobby, but it's addicting and can be costly. LOL! I will check out craigslist every once in a while and go to "craft" garage sales where people sell retired items from companies like Stampin' Up. You can find some great deals...and treasures (I've found several rare PSX stamps for $1-5 that people pay over $50 for one stamp!!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

I will add one comment about buying "cheap". Buy cheap paper for layering. As Betty recommended, GinaK has the best heavyweight for card bases. Use good paper (Neena, PTI, GinaK, etc.) for images and coloring. But for those layering pieces where only 1/16" - 1/4" peeps out from behind the good stuff, keep a supply of cheaper stuff on hand. It's also good to try new techniques or combinations on that first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Not quite the same however there are other kit options out there like this one from GinaK Days of Summer StampTV Kit

I bought kits to begin but soon found myself limited by them. Now I don't buy a kit unless I would have bought everything listed individually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Not quite the same however there are other kit options out there like this one from GinaK Days of Summer StampTV Kit

I bought kits to begin but soon found myself limited by them. Now I don't buy a kit unless I would have bought everything listed individually.

Also I would look at common denominators of what you love by going through the gallery. If you are a "Clean and Simple" card maker, then you want a lot of white space so you don't necessarily need patterned paper or colored cardstock etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Default Another supplier of matching paper/ink/embellishments

A-Muse Studio is a direct sale stamp art supplier. To find a representative near your home, do a search on-line. I first heard of the company through Jennifer McGuire, who is a designer for Hero Arts, Ellen Hutson, and Simon Says Stamp. They had a promotion for a Breast Cancer Research special stamp set that she mentioned on one of her blog posts. She also had used their cloud die for the card she was doing at the time - adorable. I contacted a representative in Southern California whom I adore - PM me for additional information.

Their stamps are red rubber on cling - high quality and great designs. I recommend them as a potential source for your first stuff. Some of the representatives have home workshops where you can learn how to use the stuff you buy. Good luck to you.

By the way, Jennifer's card style is Clean and Simple - and she teaches great on-line workshops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had another thought- do you have any hobby/crafting stores near you that offer demo days/ workshops. Thats a great way of trying things out to see what you like. One of the best bits of advice you've got on here is DON'T heavily invest in any one area at the start. We have all been guilty of that, then found out style & likes have changed as time goes along. I must have cornered the world market in Decoupage sheets & Mulberry paper when I started out! I haven't made a decoupage card for years now. And don't even ask about my Mulberry paper mountain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Welcome paper invite!
I would love to share sime goodies with you. Just provide yoyr full name and address via pm. I expect nothing in return but have such a huge personal stash that I love to help newbies!
Blessings.
I have duplicates of a few things and like sprtchick, I would love to share these with you gratis, with nothing expected in return. It would give me pleasure sharing with a neophyte also! Now I am not sure how pm works, because I have posted a few times. However you are welcome to send your name and address to my email address: [email protected]. Looking forward to putting a package in the mail to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #37  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

One thing you will learn is that not every product works like advertised. Do some research & read reviews.

Also, if you start getting into different techniques you will learn why you will need different kinds of inks, glues, etc.

Buy the smallest size you can find if you are not sure that you're going to like or use a product on a regular basis. I big bottle of glue may seem cheaper, but often it can dry up before you can use it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I had another thought- do you have any hobby/crafting stores near you that offer demo days/ workshops. Thats a great way of trying things out to see what you like. One of the best bits of advice you've got on here is DON'T heavily invest in any one area at the start. We have all been guilty of that, then found out style & likes have changed as time goes along. I must have cornered the world market in Decoupage sheets & Mulberry paper when I started out! I haven't made a decoupage card for years now. And don't even ask about my Mulberry paper mountain.
I was looking for mulberry paper a while back to make flowers from. Now I know where it all went.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

Default ideas???

Hi.
I love the silver glimmer/glittery paper but what on earth do I use to adhere something to it? Help.
thanks.
Jessica
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaazgalView Post
Hi.
I love the silver glimmer/glittery paper but what on earth do I use to adhere something to it? Help.
thanks.
Jessica
I use tombow mono, crystal effects, or Beacons 3-in-1 to attach items to glitter paper.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes