Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ideas for taking stamping stuff on vacation

Hi Wonderful SCS Ladies!

I am leaving for vacation (woo-hoo) tomorrow, my husband, daughters, and I are driving about 11 hours in a Honda Civic-so room is somewhat limited.

My question/challenge:

I want to take a little stamping/card making stuff with me to work on cards while I'm on vacation as I will have some spare time when my girls are in bed, etc. I can probably take what will fit in an over the shoulder large tote bag. My problem is, I don't know what to take, do I take stamps and markers and just work on that? Do I take cardstock and patterned paper and try to work on the base of the card, punches, paper trimmer, cuttlebug & embossing folders??? HELP ME!

Thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Sarah.

Do you have any card kits laying around?? I would try to take components of a card and just color images and assemble them. Take some card bases, DSP, small trimmer, markers, images, adhesive and some embellishments.. Maybe even some die cuts or embossed card fronts. And just get creative with what you bring :-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Myself, I wouldn't take the big, heavy stuff - no cuttlebug, embossing folders, punches. I would mostly take pre-stamped images and coloring materials and maybe some patterned paper and pre-embossed cardstock, my smaller trimmer.

Keeping in mind that any vacation I've ever been on, I haven't had nearly as much time for my hobbies as I thought I would - and I was much more tired at the end of the day than I expected to be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

addeI've done my Christmas cards while on a trip once...that was simpler because I was mass producing. Other times when I've taken things along I always seem to forget something that I "need". I've even run out to the front desk of hotels to borrow stuff before (like scissors....how could I forget scissors!) I agree that it would probably be easier to take along a specific project with all the supplies you need for that.
Another thought, have you tried doing a SMASH book before? I took one along on my trip to Ireland with very limited supplies and had fun each night journaling about our activities of the day and adding pictures, etc from the brochures of the places we'd visited. Another idea might be to try art journal pages.

Last edited by mamaxsix; 10-03-2013 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: added another thought
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually stamp a bunch of images and bring my Prismacolor pencils and spend time coloring them in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I've been taking stamping stuff on vacation for years. I've taken supplies to camping trips, resorts, hotels and on planes and in the car. My advice, through trial and error, is to pack light. If you don't have specific projects to work on, bring 3-5 stamp sets that work well together and pick 5-6 colors of coordinating card stock and inks plus a neutral or two. If I take patterned paper, it is usually a 6x6 pad that coordinates with my colors. Make sure you have your basics (scissors, adhesive, ruler, craft knife, etc.) and throw in 2-3 colors of coordinating ribbon/twine along with a tube of Stickles and a package of rhinestones. I don't bring my Big Shot but I do bring a small corner rounder punch and a border punch or two. And I always bring a small selection of coordinating markers.

Just try not to pack too much. It's most fun for me when I have some things that are easy to get out and put away quickly. I really enjoy bringing my stuff on vacation. Have a good time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On the last vacation I took, I took markers, white cardstock, small scissors, two clear blocks, and a clamshell of (unmounted) stamps. In my free time I would stamp one image, colour it, and fussy-cut it. Then I would stamp another image, etc. I came back from vacation with an envelope full of images coloured and cut out and ready to go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you haven't left.... I'll stamp a bunch of images and take scissors with me to cut out the images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I have taken my cuttlebug and my favorite Sizzix rolled rose die, random scrap paper, a pair of scissors, a bottle of 3 in 1 glue, my reverse tweezers, and my jewelry pliers. I created lots of flowers to use when I got back home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Card kits, kits, mini projects, premade sheets are all good ideas. Or you can take your computer and a notebook and surf pinterest and SCS and gather ideas and sketches for when you come back!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes